Tito Overmanaging Last Night?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Tito Overmanaging Last Night?

During the 8th inning of last night's game against the Indians, before Ells walk-off, Tito replaced Youkilis after he walked, with Aviles in a 3-3 game.

My opinion of this decision was that it was overmanaging because of the fact that the team loses Youk's bat if the game goes into extra innings. This is despite the fact that Aviles was able to steal 2nd base.

My belief is that he should have let Youk stay in the game unless he reached 2nd or 3rd with less than two outs since the odds, in most cases, would be his bat would be needed more if the game extended into extra innings.

Ellsbury's walk-off bomb made the matter moot, but I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same as I did?

NOTE: I am NOT Tito-bashing, just questioning this one decision.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Tito Overmanaging Last Night?

I think the other aspect is that Youkilis is beat up, so it's an opportunity to rest him a little.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Gents,

Both points are valid, I think.  I was thinking similarly, that if the Sox don't score, there goes Youk.

Halifax, you make a very valid point ... in game rests can be very beneficial in the long run ...

Glad that the light hitting CFer took care of it ...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I doubt the move was made simply as a strategic maneuver.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pissttt. Show pissttt's posts

no matter what, this is not the time to rest your key players in a pennant race.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Tito Overmanaging Last Night?:
    no matter what, this is not the time to rest your key players in a pennant race.....
    Posted by pissttt

When you're in the same division as the Yankees you're basically in a pennant race from Day One.  Gotta rest 'em sometime.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Posted by pissttt

Agreed.  but, I reserve judgement without knowing all the factors at play.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Tito Overmanaging Last Night? : When you're in the same division as the Yankees you're basically in a pennant race from Day One.  Gotta rest 'em sometime.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Some think we took the first 12 games off ...

:o)

But you are right.

One can learn a lot by watching Doc Rivers rest his guys in and for the long run ...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Lead-off man on first, bottom of the 8th, tie game at home? You play to win that game right now if you believe in conventional wisdom. If you score there you are three Papelbon outs away from a win.

I don't know that you stay conservative in that situation. The RS had Ortiz coming up. Getting a runner who could make a DP more difficult to turn, more likely to be able to go from 1st to third on a single to RF is a solid move.

maybe some of us wouldn't do it but the conventional wisdom of baseball calls for going for it with a tie in the bottom of the 8th and not play to cover yourself if there are extra innings where you also are ripping through your bullpen.

Just my take

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Terry your over managing?
    Terry your under managing?
    Terry why didn't you do this?
    Terry why did you do that?

Damn he can not cut a break at anytime on this forum

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Youkilis has been hurting (foot), and Tito has taken every opportunity to remove him from a game in the late innings, score or not. I think it's to protect him over the long haul. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

It resulted in a man in scoring position with no outs and Ortiz, Crawford, and Salty due up.
    What's the problem? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Thought it is the hamstring that is giving Youkilis some problem.  Remember he pulled a hamstring last week or two?  So therefore, Tito didnt want Youkilis to run all the around as fast as he can to score the winning run.  

Tito did a great job trying to save the health of these stars!!  

Remember Boston is pretty much beat up, and Tito cant afford to lose more guys to DL!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Terry your over managing? Terry your under managing? Terry why didn't you do this? Terry why did you do that? Damn he can not cut a break at anytime on this forum
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

No, but he was high fiving it last night when it counted!

Jake's walk off HR got everyone jazzed on the team ... I don't think the negative naybobs here hurt Tito one bit.  (I do understand what you're saying, I'm just saying he's got the best of it!!) 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

In Response to Tito Overmanaging Last Night?:
    During the 8th inning of last night's game against the Indians, before Ells walk-off, Tito replaced Youkilis after he walked, with Aviles in a 3-3 game. My opinion of this decision was that it was overmanaging because of the fact that the team loses Youk's bat if the game goes into extra innings. This is despite the fact that Aviles was able to steal 2nd base. My belief is that he should have let Youk stay in the game unless he reached 2nd or 3rd with less than two outs since the odds, in most cases, would be his bat would be needed more if the game extended into extra innings. Ellsbury's walk-off bomb made the matter moot, but I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same as I did? NOTE: I am NOT Tito-bashing, just questioning this one decision.
    Posted by Soxdog67

I also questioned the decision at the time for the same reason...you may need Youk's bat later.  However, had someone singled in Aviles after he stole second you could argue that it was a great move.  Bottom line, once they sent Aviles the decision made sense (at least to me) and I had no issue with the move.

Also, when questioning any manager's moves I have to remind myself that as fans we don't have access to all the issues at play (nagging injuries/muscle strains for example). 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Genius is often misunderstood.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

I think the other aspect is that Youkilis is beat up, so it's an opportunity to rest him a little.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Lmao, you are a piece of work. The 8th inning in a tie game is not the time to rest your cleanup hitter. Nice try...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: Tito Overmanaging Last Night? : When you're in the same division as the Yankees you're basically in a pennant race from Day One.  Gotta rest 'em sometime.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Right, just ask Cal Ripkin.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Tito Overmanaging Last Night? : Lmao, you are a piece of work. The 8th inning in a tie game is not the time to rest your cleanup hitter. Nice try...
    Posted by BOSOX1941
    I find myself in rare agreement with you. That isn't why you go to the pinch runner though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

It resulted in a man in scoring position with no outs and Ortiz, Crawford, and Salty due up. What's the problem? 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Exactly, Why be concerned about whether or not it was a good move. The result turned out okay. The results will be okay every time, whether or not the move was appropriate. Lends credence to the "IN SPITE OF"  theory, doesn't it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

As someone mentioned above perhaps Youk was removed because he is playing pretty well beat up physically. Do we know why Tito took him out? Was it game related or health related or even something else?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

As someone mentioned above perhaps Youk was removed because he is playing pretty well beat up physically. Do we know why Tito took him out? Was it game related or health related or even something else?
    Posted by PawsoxPhil

The bigger question is, Does Terry(Tito is his father) know why he took Youk out???? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Tito Overmanaging Last Night? : The bigger question is, Does Terry(Tito is his father) know why he took Youk out???? 
    Posted by BOSOX1941

i'm sure Terry has absolutely no idea.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

In Response to Re: Tito Overmanaging Last Night? : The bigger question is, Does Terry(Tito is his father) know why he took Youk out???? 
    Posted by BOSOX1941

You just lost your credibility with the ten posters who had thought that you made sense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

Lead-off man on first, bottom of the 8th, tie game at home? You play to win that game right now if you believe in conventional wisdom. If you score there you are three Papelbon outs away from a win. The RS had Ortiz coming up. Getting a runner who could make a DP more difficult to turn, more likely to be able to go from 1st to third on a single to RF is a solid move.
    Posted by fivekatz

Couldn't have said it better. He was not "overmanaging". Katz doesn't even mention the stolen base.

Sections
Shortcuts