To all those who bashed me and called me out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: To all those who bashed me and called me out

I'm sorry I bashed you andrewmitch, you were right, Tito sucks, Lester sucks, AGOD (used to be an N) sucks, the lineups sucked, no real lefty reliever sucked (although they had one who amazingly blew out his arm...omen of things to come..good things for Sox would turn bad and vice versa and vice versa again)
    But I also advocated Beltre resigned, keeping Youks at 1b, knew VMART would not be resigned knowing the Sox wanted Salty to catch and Ortiz to DH. I crucified the Crawford signing the day it happened, I crucified the Lackey signing going back to my rants of last year. I crucified the Beckett extension for its timing, but it still seems to be a bargain if you compare it to the rest of the team's top heavy salary structure. I've always hated Tito's "white flag" lineups and I still believe his single biggest blunder was sitting Marco Scutaro on an 8-for-11 hot streak.
     (I said the Sox wouldn't make the playoffs btw when a thread stated "who is willing to go on record that the team will NOT make the playoffs" And yet it took a miracle for the Sox NOT to make the playoffs.) 

Here's my one thing on the whole Youks to 3b, AGON to 1st thing, and Beltre. The reason I wanted Beltre back was he proved he could play in Boston and produce as a power hitter (two fears of mine when he was originally signed). Anytime a guy proves he can hit here, I want them to continue here. I had far worst reservations on CC, and unfortunately he proved me completely correct. The feeling was that Youks would seamlessly go to 3rd, but in reality, he was a bonafide good defensive 1b and that was his range--AGON is also a superior fielder, but 3b is another animal entirely. So what to do with Youks at that time? Well, in retrospect, they had no reason to go after AGON, could have signed Beltre, still had Ortiz, never had to sign CC, would have a ton of money set aside to re-sign Papelbon and go out and get a bonafide SP or two. But now you have a team that is so dysfunctional that I'm not so sure anyone really wants the Sox manager job. They will feel Tito's pain once they are on it for a while. The solution is to blow up a lot of this current lot. It's sad, but true. Youkilis is now untradeable, and Salty is not the catcher in the making that the organization believed he would be. Under .500 record with him catching..pretty sad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yeah, I was getting tired by the spin about how "Youk could seemsly slide over the 3rd in a pinch".....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: To all those who bashed me and called me out:
    Andrewmitch, congratulations.  The big I-Told-You-So winner of one of the worst moments in Sox history.  You are the man.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Not meant to be an "I told you so"....I don't like those although I am in grey area here I know.....It was meant for a just a few specific people who tried to do that to me, and failed.......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Yeah, I was getting tired by the spin about how "Youk could seemsly slide over the 3rd in a pinch".....
    Posted by andrewmitch

Don't think I ever bashed you. Actually got along with you.  Just don't share some of the same opinions.  I think if you wanted to we could rip apart the entire team at any given time.  When a 300 avg is success it means you fail a lot. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No you didn't.  You're cool.

I am friendly w/ lots of people I disagree with.  It is just those who make personal attacks that I can't stand.  Which is really why I started this thread. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

No you didn't.  You're cool. I am friendly w/ lots of people I disagree with.  It is just those who make personal attacks that I can't stand.  Which is really why I started this thread. 
    Posted by andrewmitch

Can I bash you now!  Haha

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yes, you can!!!!   You're a good guy and not mean spirited so I now you'd just be kidding around.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Free bash on andy....it's going to be a fight at the bat-rack.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to To all those who bashed me and called me out:
    I was right that going 0-6 in April immediately gave away the division (said in week 2) I was right that Crawford would not come around (said in May) I was right (then wrong but then quickly right again) that the Beckett extension was a mistake (said in April of 2010) I was right about Drew (said in early 2009) I was right that Lester is not an ace or big game pitcher (said for about 2 years now) I was right that the team (w/ few exceptions) had given up (said in late August; right after the yankee series) I was right that Francona was part of the problem (being saying that since 2005) I was right that Theo would go all year without bothering to spend a dime on a bona fide left handed reliever (said in April) I was right that Theo should have kept Beltre and VMart and not bothered with Gonzalez and 150 million dollars whilst depleting the farm (said over the winter) I was right that they would not get into the playoffs (said after the Rays took 7 of 8) Now let's see if those folks who started threads to call me out, will now have the class to retract
    Posted by andrewmitch

Wow, congrats Mitch. You must be so happy that your favorite team is home for the postseason. But sorry to burst your bubble ... it wasn't  the 0-6 start, it was the 7-20 finish.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Far better than getting demolished in the playoffs

But don't you see, the 0-6 team is who they became; ie you had flashes of their true colors from the get-go.........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

I will call you out I think you are a fool and an attention seeker.  You love to bytch and I am embarrassed you are a Sox fan. I was right that going 0-6 in April immediately gave away the division (said in week 2)   Gibberish .  They lead the division pretty late in the year.   the Beckett extension was a mistake (said in April of 2010)   Have you looked up his ERA this year?   I was right about Drew (said in early 2009)   You were wrong, he was overpaid but was the best option.  The other options make his Sox career look like Babe Ruth's. Gary Matthews JR anyone?   I was right that Lester is not an ace   2010 + 2011 6th best WAR AL SP! 2009 - '11 :  4th 2008 - '11 : 4th 2007 - '11 : 6th 2007 - '11:  K/9 AL  #1 Verlander 8.73   #2. Lester 8.57   I was right that Theo should have kept Beltre early days let's see how Beltre's hammys hold up before you blow your horn. and VMart   Why didn't any team want him to catch?  Baltimore, Cleveland, Boston, and Detroit all didn't want him signing for 4 years as a catcher.   and not bothered with Gonzalez and 150 million dollars whilst depleting the farm (said over the winter) I was right that they would not get into the playoffs (said after the Rays took 7 of 8) Now let's see if those folks who started threads to call me out, will now have the class to retract Posted by andrewmitch

Posted by tom-uk
    Beckett ended up looking like a pitcher who wasn't ready to go the distance, either in games or for the season, regardless of his ERA.  I mean "looking like" in more than one sense.  It's premature to state that his extension was a mistake.  But it's not unreasonable to raise the issue in the context of large long contracts. In terms of Beckett's status on the Sox, he has been an up and down guy since coming to Boston. This year he was down when the Sox needed him most. One can say that the club needed him most because his performance during the season helped put the club in a position to need him at the end, but it doesn't alter the fact that he wasn't there at the end. 
    Whether Beckett will be worth his contract remains to be seen.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Given Beckett's extension was signed in April of 2010 and given the way he pitched in 2010 and at the end of this season, it's not looking good.  Yes, he has 3 more years but (1) at big $ and (2) follow his performance trend and now, coupled with an attitude it don't look good.  Remember how they said they needed Beckett b/c he mentored the younger pitchers?  Hello????????

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to To all those who bashed me and called me out:
    I was right that going 0-6 in April immediately gave away the division (said in week 2) I was right that Crawford would not come around (said in May) I was right (then wrong but then quickly right again) that the Beckett extension was a mistake (said in April of 2010) I was right about Drew (said in early 2009) I was right that Lester is not an ace or big game pitcher (said for about 2 years now) I was right that the team (w/ few exceptions) had given up (said in late August; right after the yankee series) I was right that Francona was part of the problem (being saying that since 2005) I was right that Theo would go all year without bothering to spend a dime on a bona fide left handed reliever (said in April) I was right that Theo should have kept Beltre and VMart and not bothered with Gonzalez and 150 million dollars whilst depleting the farm (said over the winter) I was right that they would not get into the playoffs (said after the Rays took 7 of 8) Now let's see if those folks who started threads to call me out, will now have the class to retract
    Posted by andrewmitch

Well, after their horrible stretch in April, I started a thread that said "Put a fork in this team". Boy did I get drilled for that one, but, hmmm...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

I was right that Francona was part of the problem (being saying that since 2005)

You were wrong that Tito was a part of the 2007 problem.

You were wrong that Theo was the problem for 2008 to 2011.

You were wrong that Wastefield was not a leading factor in September collapse.

You were wrong in not starting this thread when the Red Sox were on pace to win 100 games well into August.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I don't recall that I ever "bashed" you or "called you out," but I was concerned when you proposed a Jacoby Ellsbury contract extension through 2017 and commented that Ellsbury would then be "only 32" when he becomes a free agent:

Re: Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract

posted at 7/24/2011 9:35 AM EDT
    First: 6/4/2005
    Last: 10/3/2011
    This is what I try and temp Jacoby w/ and hope he goes for the guaranteed $

2012$5,000,000  ARB 2
    2013$10,000,000  ARB 3
    2014$12,500,000  yr 1 
    2015$15,000,000  yr 2
    2016$15,000,000  yr 3
    2017$17,500,000  yr 4

Total
    $75,000,000 

6 years/75 million or in FA 4/60

+ any perk he wants like a No Trade

I'd also remind him that he'll still be only 32 next time he enters FA

And I'd remind Boras that no one is going to want to get stuck w/ a Werth or Crawford type contract; mistake learned.....

Also, this is more than the contracts handed out to Youk, Lester, Pedey, and Buck.........BTW, it'd be nice to also lock up Paps and Bard and to a much lesser deal, Salty....then, instead of having to dip in the FA market every year which is pricey and risky, round out the roster from your farm...

Ellsbury will turn 34 in September 2017.

Why did I have to start this thread in August when every one of the above points I made on other threads hundreds of times?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

good for you Andre - these people who are STILL attacking you for giving your correct analysis are now attacking you for being right and therefore disloyal - they have no shame

we all watched the sox declining the past 5 season from champs to 3rd place has-beens - many of us knew that our manager was weak and lacked sound baseball judgement and that he was more of a pr guy than a tactician...when this is all confirmed by the organization itself, there is no mea culpa...

instead we get these stupid posts stating that all of us who didnt like Francona will now attack the new manager - once again attacking our integrity as fans because "bashers" were right and they were wrong....dumb and dishonest

since Tito has been fired we have had a whole lot more people start threads DEFENDING our manager than saying good riddance...I understand that because many had an emotional attachment to him and he did win titles for us that no one ever did...

but our team was rudderless, and the manager we had was not strong enough to deal with it - he walked away according to his own words (or was pushed???) but either way HE WAS RESPONSIBLE for his team underperforming and being so dysfunctional despite it's talent and salary level

so please dont tell AM to get over himself - he called it, just look Moon did with Tampa Bay (which I gave him props for) How about sincere props for AM as well?
    I woud ask for props myself but I was wrong about our season - I didnt think anything could stop us - not even Tito

good for you Andre - these people who are STILL attacking you for giving your correct analysis are now attacking you for being right and therefore disloyal - they have no shame we all watched the sox declining the past 5 season from champs to 3rd place has-beens - many of us knew that our manager was weak and lacked sound baseball judgement and that he was more of a pr guy than a tactician...when this is all confirmed by the organization itself, there is no mea culpa... instead we get these stupid posts stating that all of us who didnt like Francona will now attack the new manager - once again attacking our integrity as fans because "bashers" were right and they were wrong....dumb and dishonest since Tito has been fired we have had a whole lot more people start threads DEFENDING our manager than saying good riddance...I understand that because many had an emotional attachment to him and he did win titles for us that no one ever did... but our team was rudderless, and the manager we had was not strong enough to deal with it - he walked away according to his own words (or was pushed???) but either way HE WAS RESPONSIBLE for his team underperforming and being so dysfunctional despite it's talent and salary level so please dont tell AM to get over himself - he called it, just look Moon did with Tampa Bay (which I gave him props for) How about sincere props for AM as well? I woud ask for props myself for I was wrong about our season _ I didnt think anything could stop us - not even Tito
    Posted by georom4

Good addition about Moon re:  Tampa.  I thought they were done myself and will say I was wrong about it.  But on the other hand, it wasn't so much that Tampa wasn't done yet as it was the Sox just flat out folded.

I don't recall that I ever "bashed" you or "called you out," but I was concerned when you proposed a Jacoby Ellsbury contract extension through 2017 and commented that Ellsbury would then be "only 32" when he becomes a free agent: Re: Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract posted at 7/24/2011 9:35 AM EDT andrewmitch Posts: 11238 First: 6/4/2005 Last: 10/3/2011 69aeabbe1fa29fa9ee22fa0d93e6937d This is what I try and temp Jacoby w/ and hope he goes for the guaranteed $ 2012 $5,000,000   ARB 2 2013 $10,000,000   ARB 3 2014 $12,500,000   yr 1   2015 $15,000,000   yr 2 2016 $15,000,000   yr 3 2017 $17,500,000   yr 4 Total $75,000,000         6 years/75 million or in FA 4/60   + any perk he wants like a No Trade I'd also remind him that he'll still be only 32 next time he enters FA And I'd remind Boras that no one is going to want to get stuck w/ a Werth or Crawford type contract; mistake learned..... Also, this is more than the contracts handed out to Youk, Lester, Pedey, and Buck.........BTW, it'd be nice to also lock up Paps and Bard and to a much lesser deal, Salty....then, instead of having to dip in the FA market every year which is pricey and risky, round out the roster from your farm... Ellsbury will turn 34 in September 2017.
    Posted by hill55

wow, talk about nit-picking....if he'll be 34 then fine, I was wrong re:  his age but I still like the contract

• You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to To all those who bashed me and called me out : Wow, congrats Mitch. You must be so happy that your favorite team is home for the postseason. But sorry to burst your bubble ... it wasn't  the 0-6 start, it was the 7-20 finish.
    Posted by LloydDobler

I thought he couldn't top some of his pathetic posts, but he did with his OP.

He blames not making the playoffs on an 0-6 start. The Yankees lost six in a row in the middle of May, but that was OK because it didn't come at the beginning of the season.

He claims the Sox lot the division because of the 0-6 start, ignoring the fact that the Sox were in first place at the end of August. The Sox were 11-15 in August. The Sox could have gone 11-15 in September and won 95 games, easily making the playoffs. They could have gone 13-14 -- one game under .500 in September -- and still won the division, despite the 0-6 start.

He claims he told us Francona was part of the problem as far back as 2005, yet the Sox still managed to win a second W.S. title in 2007.

Because the Sox didn't make the playoffs, all of a sudden he's right that the Sox should have kept Beltre and V-Mart. We'll forget some of the other issues involved, but I guess it would be too much trouble for him to explain how Beltre and V-Mart would have preventedn the pitching staff from giving up 6 runs per game in September.

His remarks about Beckett is even a bigger joke. When he struggles -- the extension was a mistake. When Beckett was pitching well, he changes his tune. Then after Beckett struggles again, he changes his tune again.

The lesson here is simple. Be negative about a lot of things consistently and you'll always be right because at some point, players will fail. Only one team wins the W.S. so even had the Sox made the playoffs, made the W.S. and not won it, he'd be on this board with a list of reasons why. 

I can just see this board when Ortiz finally slows down for good. All these experts will be on here saying how they've been saying for years how Ortiz was washed up.

I guess I should start a threads threads, ripping Pedroia every chance I get. Sooner or later, as with all players, he'll get old, skills will diminish and what do you know, I'll be eventually be right.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: To all those who bashed me and called me out : Posted by tom-uk
    Beckett ended up looking like a pitcher who wasn't ready to go the distance, either in games or for the season, regardless of his ERA.  I mean "looking like" in more than one sense.  It's premature to state that his extension was a mistake.  But it's not unreasonable to raise the issue in the context of large long contracts. In terms of Beckett's status on the Sox, he has been an up and down guy since coming to Boston. This year he was down when the Sox needed him most. One can say that the club needed him most because his performance during the season helped put the club in a position to need him at the end, but it doesn't alter the fact that he wasn't there at the end.  Whether Beckett will be worth his contract remains to be seen.  
    Posted by expitch
    When Beckett was acquired by the Sox, he seemed to have the makings of a great pitcher. In 2007, he added evidence to that early take on him. But during his six years in Boston, he's upheld expectations only that one time. There have been injuries and the like, but results count. The latest results are far from promising. "Small sample size." "Tender ankle." The large sample size, including a liability to physical breakdowns or hamperings, is what can reasonably prompt skepticism about how his contract will work out. 
    I don't honestly know whether he was out of shape and dragging his butt by September. But he began to drag his arm and to leave the ball up by the fifth or sixth inning in those games. 
    IMO, he still has a lot to prove -- for a full season. Without him regularly in top form from start to finish, the Sox will have more than a little trouble in the AL East. 

•  

I really don't like his mechanics the past 2 years.  If we could compare film from 2007 to 2010/2011 it should be apparent.  He was really fluid in 2007 and that to me shows confidence too.  Lately, he seems to aim everything and finish early (ie not the big follow through) which is a sign that he is trying to "will" his pitches.  Furtermore, he lost zip on his fastball (big difference from 97 to 94), the 2 seemer lost its bite, and his curve went from great to above average yet inconsistent.  Knowing now that the players have become complacent, it would have been even more wise to wait before the extension.  At the very least it could have brought the price or the # of years down.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I've always been on your side on the J.D. Drew issue.

I've never bashed you that I can remember.

But posting a thread about all the things you are right about is only good if you can also elaborate on why you were right.

I don't think saying that keeping Victor Martinez and Beltre instead of trading for Gonzalez would have been a "good" move. Gonzalez had a great season, the team didn't make the playoffs. Victor Martinez and Beltre had good seasons in 2010 as Red Sox players also, the result was the same...no postseason success. The fact that the teams that signed Victor Martinez and Adrian Beltre are in postseason , does not necessarily mean this was a "wrong" move. Adrian is going to provide excellent offense AND defense for many years. You can't simply measure the success of the teams and say Theo was wrong. I happen to think this is one of Theo's better acquistions and look forward to watching Adrian Gonzalez be an All Star player in Boston for many years....whether the team wins or loses cannot all be on his shoulders, I think bad pitching was more to blame.

Understood completely

W/ Agone I am not saying it was a terrible move but the issue I have is that Theo seemed to do that in a vacuum and it's the domino effect that has always concerned me and we see those dominos come crumbling down now - Youk is a 1B not 3B, or minor league system is darn near depleted, payroll/size of contract issue, etc

In Response to To all those who bashed me and called me out : Well, after their horrible stretch in April, I started a thread that said "Put a fork in this team". Boy did I get drilled for that one, but, hmmm...
    Posted by ADG

Yup, I seem to recall that

• Sections
    Shortcuts