To all those who bashed me and called me out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: To all those who bashed me and called me out

The things that irk me about AGone is everyone compared him to Manny and Manny was really clutch including hand delivering a blown save to Rivera plus AG's comments about the schedule being too difficult for him.  When I travel on a plane I am expected to crank out on my laptop, those guys knap and play cards.....travel chartered flights, have all accomodations etc etc etc....not cool Adrianne.......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: To all those who bashed me and called me out:
    Understood completely W/ Agone I am not saying it was a terrible move but the issue I have is that Theo seemed to do that in a vacuum and it's the domino effect that has always concerned me and we see those dominos come crumbling down now - Youk is a 1B not 3B, or minor league system is darn near depleted, payroll/size of contract issue, etc
    Posted by andrewmitch

Actually Youk was a 3rdbaseman before he was a 1stbaseman.

However your point is well taken. Youkilis at this stage of his career is better suited for 1st base and I have always thought that flipflopping him back and forth was not wise, as flipflopping pitchers from closer to starter is bad also. These are not Francona's fault though. Once Theo made the deal, Francona' hands were tied. He was essentially stuck with two firstbasemen ( 3 if you count Papi) and no legitiment 3rd baseman. To that extent I would agree that keeping Beltre would be a good move , but in that case it's Youk who would have to be moved and this creates problems as he is a fan favorite. Victor is a different story , he is a horrible catcher and is best suited for DH...we had Ortiz and he wasn't going anywhere, Victor may be a good hitter , but he's no Ortiz, the best DH that ever was, and a Red Sox legend. You couldn't really find a position for a lousy defensive catcher , so he had to go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

RE:  VMart.  He could have caught one more year w/ Salty.....Tek would have been gone.....and VMart could be the DH starting in 2012, while being a legimate emergency (3rd) catcher.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Being a negative poster all the time is not something to crow about.   You care more about being right than how the team actually did?  And you think that is something to brag about??!?!?!?!? Ok then, just for you: Wow, you're my hero!  Can I have your autograph?  That is worth more than anything else on the planet, because you made a bunch of negative comments that turned out right! What a guy!  So smart!!!!  So much character!!!!!!!!  Such a great fan!  You stick by the team no matter what!!!    I am humbled by your genius and ability to see the future.  I think you should be referred to as "Exalted One" from now on. 
    Posted by soxmeister

How much does your sarcasm add to the discussion?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: To all those who bashed me and called me out :  How much does your sarcasm add to the discussion?
    Posted by trouts

LOL

thanks for posting this, I must have missed it

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to To all those who bashed me and called me out:
    I was right that going 0-6 in April immediately gave away the division (said in week 2) I was right that Crawford would not come around (said in May) I was right (then wrong but then quickly right again) that the Beckett extension was a mistake (said in April of 2010) I was right about Drew (said in early 2009) I was right that Lester is not an ace or big game pitcher (said for about 2 years now) I was right that the team (w/ few exceptions) had given up (said in late August; right after the yankee series) I was right that Francona was part of the problem (being saying that since 2005) I was right that Theo would go all year without bothering to spend a dime on a bona fide left handed reliever (said in April) I was right that Theo should have kept Beltre and VMart and not bothered with Gonzalez and 150 million dollars whilst depleting the farm (said over the winter) I was right that they would not get into the playoffs (said after the Rays took 7 of 8) Now let's see if those folks who started threads to call me out, will now have the class to retract
    Posted by andrewmitch

There is simply nothing as revolting or pathetic as people who post on these forums and continue to talk about "I was right" and "I said..."  Mee Me mee mee I, I, mee... look at MEEEEEE! LISTEN TO MEEEE!!!!!

Sad, pathetic, no life.  Really, no one thinks you are that important. Get over yourself.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I will call you out I think you are a fool and an attention seeker.  You love to bytch and I am embarrassed you are a Sox fan. I was right that going 0-6 in April immediately gave away the division (said in week 2)   Gibberish .  They lead the division pretty late in the year.   the Beckett extension was a mistake (said in April of 2010)   Have you looked up his ERA this year?   I was right about Drew (said in early 2009)   You were wrong, he was overpaid but was the best option.  The other options make his Sox career look like Babe Ruth's. Gary Matthews JR anyone?   I was right that Lester is not an ace   2010 + 2011 6th best WAR AL SP! 2009 - '11 :  4th 2008 - '11 : 4th 2007 - '11 : 6th 2007 - '11:  K/9 AL  #1 Verlander 8.73   #2. Lester 8.57   I was right that Theo should have kept Beltre early days let's see how Beltre's hammys hold up before you blow your horn. and VMart   Why didn't any team want him to catch?  Baltimore, Cleveland, Boston, and Detroit all didn't want him signing for 4 years as a catcher.   and not bothered with Gonzalez and 150 million dollars whilst depleting the farm (said over the winter) I was right that they would not get into the playoffs (said after the Rays took 7 of 8) Now let's see if those folks who started threads to call me out, will now have the class to retract Posted by andrewmitch

Posted by tom-uk

Excellent response, although the people calling him self-aggrandizing and such are dead-on, too.

MEEEEEE!  LISTEN TO MEEEEEE!!!!!!  Clown.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

No one wanted us to keep VMart and Beltre more than i did but when we got Agon i saw the reasoning and liked it, still do. I was way off on Lugo, CC and others but hated the Beckett and Drew signings, still do. I think CC will come back but Beckett is toast. There were some people who didnt like the CC signing but it seems the reason was always because he was too much like Els, if only he was. So why didnt you like that signing? He certainly gave every indication of being a great player

• You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

I was right that going 0-6 in April immediately gave away the division (said in week 2) I was right that Crawford would not come around (said in May) I was right (then wrong but then quickly right again) that the Beckett extension was a mistake (said in April of 2010) I was right about Drew (said in early 2009) I was right that Lester is not an ace or big game pitcher (said for about 2 years now) I was right that the team (w/ few exceptions) had given up (said in late August; right after the yankee series) I was right that Francona was part of the problem (being saying that since 2005) I was right that Theo would go all year without bothering to spend a dime on a bona fide left handed reliever (said in April) I was right that Theo should have kept Beltre and VMart and not bothered with Gonzalez and 150 million dollars whilst depleting the farm (said over the winter) I was right that they would not get into the playoffs (said after the Rays took 7 of 8) Now let's see if those folks who started threads to call me out, will now have the class to retract
    Posted by andrewmitch

Going 0-6 didn't immediately throw away the division. Only winning 7 games in september did... I still think Beckett's extension wasn't a mistake. And Lester is an ace give him a little more maturing time. Also can you make a list of everything you were wrong about?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

really? tell us what would have happened if we had gone 2-4 rather than 0-6?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

really? tell us what would have happened if we had gone 2-4 rather than 0-6?
    Posted by BurritoT

It still didnt lose the division.  If they lost the division by one game, by your logic the division is "lost" if you start out 0-2?  That's patently idiotic.  The team was actually in first place at one point.  Think before you post ridiculous stuff.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

VMart.  He could have caught one more year w/ Salty.....Tek would have been gone.....and VMart could be the DH starting in 2012, while being a legimate emergency (3rd) catcher.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

After one year as a part time cathcer you want 3 years of VMart as DH/3rd catcher for 37.5M??  That may work for Detroit but it is a risky move clogging your DH spot with their 1st baseman.

In Response to Re: To all those who bashed me and called me out : It still didnt lose the division.  If they lost the division by one game, by your logic the division is "lost" if you start out 0-2?  That's patently idiotic.  The team was actually in first place at one point.  Think before you post ridiculous stuff.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Shut it dipstick. The team needed two more wins that all. The point is they came into April unprepared and in la la land, same as they finished. By the way Illinois is the worse state in the Union so I understand your moronship.

Given Beckett's extension was signed in April of 2010 and given the way he pitched in 2010 and at the end of this season, it's not looking good.  Yes, he has 3 more years but (1) at big $ and (2) follow his performance trend and now, coupled with an attitude it don't look good.  Remember how they said they needed Beckett b/c he mentored the younger pitchers?  Hello????????
    Posted by andrewmitch

Not looking good? 

If they didn't sign him then who should they have?  I doubt you will answer this with anything of merit.  Don't say Cliff Lee because he had options and he didn't go to the highest bidder.   Beckett was 29 when signed and this is what he has done since:

8.17 K/9    2.72 BB / 9  

When park adjusted he was the 13th best AL SP this year:
    http://statcorner.com/leader.php?type=2&year=2011&leag=AL&limit=300

56th 2010   and 14th in 2009.

Up and down yes but as a big market team locking up a 29 yo Beckett was and is a no-brainer.  Very few studs are coming to market these days and FA bust pitchers are a plenty: Zito, Lackey, Burnett, Vazquez,....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

Each loss counted exactly the same. The games in April are JUST AS IMPORTANT as the games in September.

That is correct... the point being those April losses above all others before September showed a team that was not ready, and in sub-par condition - not much different from how they ended up. soxmeister like jimdavis only comes here to attack those who are more observant and willing to speak out about some of the negatives regarding our beloved team.

I myself in early August, while we were in 1st place and winning, started a thread about "5'" to which I was made fun of. The OP was on the fact we had too many #5 starters (no #3 or #4) and that we were routinely allowing 5 runs per starter many games (which turned into ALL games in September). People just looked at the fact we were in 1st and scoring 10 runs every other day that they were blinded by the underlying negative current of the pitching.

I feel I am as much a fan as any here and I reserve the right like andrewmitch to speak my mind about negatives and positives.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Posted by andrewmitch

Yes you were right but so were many other negative people on here. B  itch ,cry and moan yes you were.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

I think that if Andrew had said "reasons for doubting" instead of "not looking that good," he might well have made a respectable point about an up and down pitcher who was signed to a long-term contact for a lot of money. Especially if he held that opinion at the time of the signing. I did not at the time of the signing think that the contract was a "no brainer."  Check me if I'm wrong, but Beckett tailed off somewhat in 2009, another year, like this one, in which he showed Cy Young promise until he stopped showing it. He had been injured in 2008. Was a stud in 2007. Was mediocre in 2006. This is a spotty record. Thus,aggregate numbers notwithstanding, except for 2007, he has not "promised" to be a strong finisher. That is a highly desirable quality in a pitcher. This year he simply flunked at the end. 
    What a pitcher does on the record, including his statistical rank, should be seen in terms of how and when he does it.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

I think that if Andrew had said "reasons for doubting" instead of "not looking that good," he might well have made a respectable point about an up and down pitcher who was signed to a long-term contact for a lot of money. Especially if he held that opinion at the time of the signing. I did not at the time of the signing think that the contract was a "no brainer."  Check me if I'm wrong, but Beckett tailed off somewhat in 2009, another year, like this one, in which he showed Cy Young promise until he stopped showing it. He had been injured in 2008. Was a stud in 2007. Was mediocre in 2006. This is a spotty record. Thus,aggregate numbers notwithstanding, except for 2007, he has not "promised" to be a strong finisher. That is a highly desirable quality in a pitcher. This year he simply flunked at the end.  What a pitcher does on the record, including his statistical rank, should be seen in terms of how and when he does it.  
    Posted by expitch

EXACTLY! The stat clouded zombies look at the offense and see first in this, second in that. But compiling big numbers in blow outs can blot out the inner workings, among them, about 50 HR from RH batters, a low OBP career profile from a FA leftfielder, Crawford biggest value is as an opportunist fast baserunner in close games, the ability to score from second, or go from first to third, but to slot him in the top of the order with the other patient hitters is/was a nightmare. The heavy lifting needed by Big Papi and A-Gon in September never  showed up, too bad Ells wasn't dropped to third...To your point about Beckett,
    he gets a pass around here, and Buchholz too, together they are the teflon-dust twins.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think that if Andrew had said "reasons for doubting" instead of "not looking that good," he might well have made a respectable point about an up and down pitcher who was signed to a long-term contact for a lot of money. Especially if he held that opinion at the time of the signing. I did not at the time of the signing think that the contract was a "no brainer."  Check me if I'm wrong, but Beckett tailed off somewhat in 2009, another year, like this one, in which he showed Cy Young promise until he stopped showing it. He had been injured in 2008. Was a stud in 2007. Was mediocre in 2006. This is a spotty record. Thus,aggregate numbers notwithstanding, except for 2007, he has not "promised" to be a strong finisher. That is a highly desirable quality in a pitcher. This year he simply flunked at the end.  What a pitcher does on the record, including his statistical rank, should be seen in terms of how and when he does it.  
    Posted by expitch

I did complain about the Beckett extension IMMEDIATELY.  Via many posts (and referred to him as Josn "Take the Money and Run" Beckett), and a long time tag line of "If Beckett and Drew are such good signings why isn't there a single team that would trade for them for a mere player to be named later?"

No one wanted us to keep VMart and Beltre more than i did but when we got Agon i saw the reasoning and liked it, still do. I was way off on Lugo, CC and others but hated the Beckett and Drew signings, still do. I think CC will come back but Beckett is toast. There were some people who didnt like the CC signing but it seems the reason was always because he was too much like Els, if only he was. So why didnt you like that signing? He certainly gave every indication of being a great player
    Posted by maxnsl

I wasn't against the Crawford signing but I was against the size and the length of the contract.  But the point was that I didn't see how Crawford could bounce back.  I did see a few AB's in May that looked promising and that did get him from batting 200 to 250 but that's still a joke.  And the thing that I haven't seen any hope for is his defense.

This wasn't meant to be a post about me.  It was for one poster in specific who went out of his way to quote me in July or so and pasted several of my postings where I said they wouldn't make the playoffs.....So in July when the team was doing well he called me out.  I simply told the individual that he'd be wise to wait until after the season to do such a thing.  And now here we are and of course, he's ducking for cover.  That's all.  You can say what you want about me but at least I don't call people out or make personal attacks. 

I think we could all agree we are Tiger and Rangers fans this week!!!!!!!

Posted by expitch

Every Sox fan is well aware of the up and down nature of Beckett's years as a Sox.  The signing of Beckett was and is a no-brainer because of the alternatives.  I am still waiting for Andrew to propose who would take his spot if he had not been extended.   He hasn't been consistent but beggers can't be choosers and the sum total of his 2009 season was very good as was 2011.

Take the man of the hour Verlander.  in 2011 he has been awesome.  In 2009 and 2010 he had some rough patches, just like almost every picher, even some making major bucks.  

2009 ERA
    Apr 6.75
    Aug 4.12

Apr 5.53
    Jul 4.65

• You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: To all those who bashed me and called me out :  EXACTLY! The stat clouded zombies look at the offense and see first in this, second in that. But compiling big numbers in blow outs can blot out the inner workings, among them, about 50 HR from RH batters, a low OBP career profile from a FA leftfielder, Crawford biggest value is as an opportunist fast baserunner in close games, the ability to score from second, or go from first to third, but to slot him in the top of the order with the other patient hitters is/was a nightmare. The heavy lifting needed by Big Papi and A-Gon in September never  showed up, too bad Ells wasn't dropped to third...To your point about Beckett, he gets a pass around here, and Buchholz too, together they are the teflon-dust twins.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20

Right.  But if the offense is number 1 MLB and pitching is 22 and one thinks the offense is the problem and not the pitching one is not a "stats clouded zombie"  one is a simpleton.

Which are you?

In Response to To all those who bashed me and called me out : Yes you were right but so were many other negative people on here. B  itch ,cry and moan yes you were.
    Posted by donrd4

Tell you waht you can go to hell because I recognized a problem a month before the demise set in. You can really kiss it pal. And the problem I recogonized ended up being 90% of the reason we lost. So bite me tool.

• Sections
    Shortcuts