To Mr. John Henry

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Re: To Mr. John Henry

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

youk was 34 when they signed him for 1 yr

nothing wrong with the signing

if there was a  mistake it was to count on him

so who else

I agree, there was nothing wrong with the Youk signing.  It was a bit of an overpay, but only for one year.

IMO, it's not the signing of older players that gets a team in trouble, as long as the contracts are short term.  It's the long term contracts that handcuff a team in the final years of the contract.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

In response to capecodredsoxfan's comment:

Check yourself. Softy was strongly opposed to the Dodgers trade that is the essence of the change that was made. 

I read Softlaw, and you left off one important fact. Softlaw said to avoid Carl Crawbust like the plague. The Red Sox are still paying million on the "Dodgers trade", which was the disaster that followed Crawbust mistake from Red Sox managment. 

The "essence of the change that was made" was because of the "essence of the FA contract given".  It takes a dim wit to keep repeating "the dodgers trade" without mentioning the Crawbust management mistake. 

For those who want to link the "Dodgers trade" to the 2013 season results, one first must address another hypothetical on not signing Crawbust to start with. 

Now, for those who think backwards, you need to implore Red Sox management to offer Ellsbury over 100 million and then do another "trade", rinse and repeat. 

Stiffy,  Your grasp of the obvious is even slipping....  Is there a Red Sox fan alive who doesn't realize that Theo! Larry, Moe, & Curly put us in a serious hole with the huge FA signings of Craw &   A-gon.  

Where you get lost, is with your teenie bopper emotional arguments attacking the trade of the century!!!!  Because you are so emotional, still desperate to cobble some semblance of one "right call" for your embarrassing 2013 collapse, you can't admit that the trade was sheer genius, given the obviously BAD hand BC was dealt. We get it.  You're hopelessly hormonal.....

TRADE OF THE CENTURY!  Deal with it Yankeegirlfan.com. ;)

The clown also "forgot to mention" that Ben did not sign Crawford: Theo did.

When the Dodger deal was made, I called it "probably the best Sox deal in my lifetime" (which includes the Pedro trade and the Lowe/VTek trade). The clown bashed me by claiming we had to get rid of AGon in order to shed CC's and Becket's contracts, and I countered with, "so what?" AGon was paid more than his worth and he could be replaced, since 1Bmen are always available. As it turned out, Napoli had a better 2013 than AGon.

The clown's other argument was that we should hold onto CC until his value went up, pressumably after a big 2013 season. His value has not gone up, except by his deal now being 1 year shorter. No way we win in 2013 with the guys we dealt away, and the money freed up will help us going forward.

As I said last year, "whatever the prospects we got from LA give us, it's just gravy, because the deal was a good one, even if we got no players in return."

Many of us were against the CC signing from day one, but the fact that we were able to dump him and Beckett and only have to pay about $4M a year was pure genius. The fact that we signed CC and extended Beckett under Theo takes nothing away from the fact that the Dodger trade had everything to do with our 2013 WS ring. Not signing CC and Beckett are seperate issues that the clown clings to, since they represent the only two issues he has gotten right in a half a decade.

Just taking the CC contract alone minus the $3.9M payment we made allowed us to sign Napoli and Uehara. Case closed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to LagunaJose's comment:

The Dodger FO should not that displeased with the performance of Crawford, Gonzalez, and Punto this past season. Beckett was a disappointment for sure. They should be happy that the Dodgers had a great season and had a fantastic run after the All Star game. They came up short in the post season. The Dodgers were trying to buy a title and were doing it the way that George Steinbrenner did for years. The Red Sox took a different approach with Ben Cherrington in charge and that combined with a great post season from their pitchers produced a title.

I agree that the Dodgers should not be displeased overall.   I don't agree with posters who think that the Dodgers were fleeced in this deal.  They took on a lot of money, but they got 3 very good players, despite what many here think.  They made it to the postseason, which is no small feat, and they did so in dominating fashion the second half.

That said, I hope the Red Sox days of signing players to 5+ years is mostly over.  These contracts should only be given to a small percentage of players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

so who else

I agree, there was nothing wrong with the Youk signing.  It was a bit of an overpay, but only for one year.

IMO, it's not the signing of older players that gets a team in trouble, as long as the contracts are short term.  It's the long term contracts that handcuff a team in the final years of the contract.

saw that an hour ago

been waiting 4 the but ;-)

thanks thanks 2  tomUK 2

2 in a row

I should quit while I'm a head

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

so who else

saw that an hour ago

been waiting 4 the but ;-)

thanks thanks 2  tomUK 2

2 in a row

I should quit while I'm a head

"quit while I'am a head"

What's the worst that could happen Zac.

Slasher and KST coming out and backing your position?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

"quit while I'am a head"

ouch

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Not only that, John Henry has a beautiful wife only half his age.   LOL

yeah man!  she can def get the biz....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

"quit while I'am a head"

why drag me into this?  the wife shrink your yankees underoos in the dryer again?

Sections
Shortcuts