To Sign or Not to Sign?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

To Sign or Not to Sign?

Paps!

Thoughts

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

Re: To Sign or Not to Sign?

sign him year to year to be sure that he always has to perform well to get paid well.  especially if he continues to do well this season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

When I read the post headline.....I thought it was about the Yankees in Toronto.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My philosophy is to not highly overpay for a closer.

Theo will set a pretty high limit, and I believe some other team will surpass it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenMonster1964. Show GreenMonster1964's posts

sign him year to year to be sure that he always has to perform well to get paid well.  especially if he continues to do well this season.
    ===============================================
    Why would Papelbon do this?  He is going to be offered a multi-year deal, if not by the Sox then somebody else.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Papelbon will get at least a 3 year deal from someone....probably not at the Mariano Rivera (15mm per) Money he covets...but close. So if the Sox want to resign him they are going to have to figure on around 3 yrs 40mm. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Papelbon will get at least a 3 year deal from someone....probably not at the Mariano Rivera (15mm per) Money he covets...but close. So if the Sox want to resign him they are going to have to figure on around 3 yrs 40mm. 

What team would offer that salary? I would assume that the Sox will offer him 2 years at $28-30 with a team option for a 3rd year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: To Sign or Not to Sign?:
    Papelbon will get at least a 3 year deal from someone....probably not at the Mariano Rivera (15mm per) Money he covets...but close. So if the Sox want to resign him they are going to have to figure on around 3 yrs 40mm.  What team would offer that salary? I would assume that the Sox will offer him 2 years at $28-30 with a team option for a 3rd year.
    Posted by rkarp

Brad Lidge is soming off the Phillies books after a 3year 37.5m contract so I think they would offer Paps a similar deal....but I could see the Sox offering what you said, but paps agent would probably want that 3rd year option to kick in based on performance similar to the KRod deal with the Mets and if they did that the contract could end up bigger than the 3 year 40mm

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Tough question.  He definitely still has excellent save stats, but his ERA of 4 is a little scary.  With Bard on hand, I would hesitate to give Papelbon a four year contract.  Right now Albers and Wheeler both have 8th inning potential. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Interesting question. I'm not sure what the market is for Papelbon's services?

Losing him would definitely weaken the bullpen, though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Premature question. More baseball and negotiations lie ahead.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

His SV/BS is misleading.  Unless he is lights out for the remainder of the year and gets his ERA/WHIP/BAA down (say under 3, near 1.0, near .220) there's no chance he will be signed by RS.  Even if he does that, still pretty good chance they let him walk and I'd agree with it.  I just doubt he's going to be worth the money involved.  Then again, as a fan I'd love to see him around and money spent on him is probably a better investment than many of the other RP out there ... but still, I see big dollar signs coming this off-season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

No, I would not sign him for what I suspect he will be offered by the Phillies or NY Mets (maybe even the NY Yankees) or some other big market team without a closer.

But if you are not going to extend him, should you consider trading him now, if the right offer is made?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

I think you have to let it play out for the rest of the year and see how Paps does down the stretch and in the post season.  Also, it allows you to see how the market for closers is shaping.  Not sure NYY will be looking to add another large contract to Mariano and Soriano.  The Phils were a potential player but Bastardo is looking like the real (and cheap) deal for them.  Some of the other traditional spenders already have invested in closers, and the Mets' KRod experience will scare off others.

Paps is doing well in save conversions this year, but his overall numbers, not to mention his velocity, continue to slide from the dominant years that he is banking on to drive the big dollars.  Plus I think many teams are finally realizing that closer is an over-rated position and a big risk for longer term contracts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: To Sign or Not to Sign?:
    Tough question.  He definitely still has excellent save stats, but his ERA of 4 is a little scary.  With Bard on hand, I would hesitate to give Papelbon a four year contract.  Right now Albers and Wheeler both have 8th inning potential. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

What's tough about it?
    Pay Paps 30-40 mil or pay Bard squat.
    If Bard continues to progress, it's a matter of hoping Pap stays out of the A.L.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I mentioned the Yankees paranthetically because Mariano is having elbow issues and Soriano has been injured.  If both look ok for next season, I agree--the Yanks will NOT be in on Papelbon.  But with Soriano's history and Mariano's age, you never can be certain their injuries won't linger and/or get worse.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

As much as I admire our closer, let him walk away as a free agent. 

The Red Sox had no problem letting Clemens, Pedro, Damon, etc. walk away.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Do what we do with everyone else.  Figure out a fair number and make the offer.  If he doesn't want it, let him walk and take the picks.

Sections
Shortcuts