To the Old timer's, great hitting pitchers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

To the Old timer's, great hitting pitchers

I know there are many here that have followed baseball longer than my 47 years. Give me one great hitting pitcher your remember from the Sox and also all time from Baseball.
    Please no Babe Ruth, we all know that one! And no looking up stats!

And did you know that Doc Crandell led all pitchers in hitting in 1919 with a .309 average?

Sonny  Seibert - Red Sox
    Bob Gibson - All time

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Re: To the Old timer's, great hitting pitchers

In Response to Re: To the Old timer's, great hitting pitchers:
    Earl Wilson-The former catcher went deep 35 times in his career, 33 times while playing as a pitcher -- you don't see many pitchers come in and collect two pinch-hit homers in their careers these days, but Wilson did.
    Posted by 2004Idiots

That's a good one Idiot! Pun intended!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to To the Old timer's, great hitting pitchers:
    I know there are many here that have followed baseball longer than my 47 years. Give me one great hitting pitcher your remember from the Sox and also all time from Baseball. Please no Babe Ruth, we all know that one! And no looking up stats! And did you know that Doc Crandell led all pitchers in hitting in 1919 with a .309 average?  Sonny  Seibert - Red Sox Bob Gibson - All time
    Posted by Promise4you2
    You beat me to the punch on Sonny Seibert. I seem to remember Ken Brett swinging a pretty good stick too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Warren Spahn (35 HRs), Don Drysdale (Lots of power), Gary Peters (who Al Lopez sometimes hit 5th), Art Houtteman, Wes Ferrell (Lifetime .280 BA with 38 HRs, P HR record), Dwight Gooden, Dizzy Dean, Vida Blue (Homered from both sides of the plate in a game), Don Cardwell (One of the few to HR into Shea mezzanine, and seemed to HR every year), Catfish Hunter, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Tommy Byrne, Steve Carlton, Tony Cloninger (who hit 2 GS in 1 game)

Oh, and Rink Ankiel. There have been many others who converted from a MLB position player to a MLB P and visa versa. Rocky Colavito was an occasional P, 'cause he threw harder than anyone else.

The best may have been Ken Brett (previously mentioned), then Ferrell & Wilson.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Not an old timer, but Carlos Zambrano can hit. He has 24 home runs and a .238 batting average in 693 career at bats. Sonny Siebert would have been my choice as sox pitcher also.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Warren Spahn (35 HRs), Don Drysdale (Lots of power), Gary Peters (who Al Lopez sometimes hit 5th), Art Houtteman, Wes Ferrell (Lifetime .280 BA with 38 HRs, P HR record), Dwight Gooden, Dizzy Dean, Vida Blue (Homered from both sides of the plate in a game), Don Cardwell (One of the few to HR into Shea mezzanine, and seemed to HR every year), Catfish Hunter, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Tommy Byrne, Steve Carlton, Tony Cloninger (who hit 2 GS in 1 game) Oh, and Rink Ankiel. There have been many others who converted from a MLB position player to a MLB P and visa versa. Rocky Colavito was an occasional P, 'cause he threw harder than anyone else. The best may have been Ken Brett (previously mentioned), then Ferrell & Wilson.
    Posted by nhsteven

NH, Peters was a favorite of mine, I remember many a pinch hits while he played with the Sox.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Warren Spahn (35 HRs), Don Drysdale (Lots of power), Gary Peters (who Al Lopez sometimes hit 5th), Art Houtteman, Wes Ferrell (Lifetime .280 BA with 38 HRs, P HR record), Dwight Gooden, Dizzy Dean, Vida Blue (Homered from both sides of the plate in a game), Don Cardwell (One of the few to HR into Shea mezzanine, and seemed to HR every year), Catfish Hunter, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Tommy Byrne, Steve Carlton, Tony Cloninger (who hit 2 GS in 1 game) Oh, and Rink Ankiel. There have been many others who converted from a MLB position player to a MLB P and visa versa. Rocky Colavito was an occasional P, 'cause he threw harder than anyone else. The best may have been Ken Brett (previously mentioned), then Ferrell & Wilson.
    Posted by nhsteven

BTW you filled your quota of 1 each a few times LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In Response to To the Old timer's, great hitting pitchers : You beat me to the punch on Sonny Seibert. I seem to remember Ken Brett swinging a pretty good stick too.
    Posted by carnie

Yep Brett could handle the stick! Not as good as his little brother but...........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: To the Old timer's, great hitting pitchers : NH, Peters was a favorite of mine, I remember many a pinch hits while he played with the Sox.
    Posted by Promise4you2

Hit .222 lifetime (in a pitchers era), with 19 HRs. The 1st game I went to was Peters v Ford; Ford pitched a gem, and Peters had one of the few hits in the game for the Chi Sox. By the time he was on Bos, he was no longer an ace.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In Response to Re: To the Old timer's, great hitting pitchers : Hit .222 lifetime (in a pitchers era), with 19 HRs. The 1st game I went to was Peters v Ford; Ford pitched a gem, and Peters had one of the few hits in the game for the Chi Sox. By the time he was on Bos, he was no longer an ace.
    Posted by nhsteven

But he still gave a few of us kids a thrill or two! Cant rememebr if it was him or Siebert that won a 1-0 game against Ryan and the Angels I believe. memory is not what it used to be.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Not an old timer, but Carlos Zambrano can hit. He has 24 home runs and a .238 batting average in 693 career at bats. Sonny Siebert would have been my choice as sox pitcher also.
    Posted by MikeNagy

Ummmm if you remember Siebert you older than  dirt! LMAO

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I know Carlton's #s aren't as good as some of the players listed but everytime Iwatched him as a kid it seemed like he got a hit.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Posted by nhsteven

Warren Spahn was the first name that came to my mind.  I play Strat-o-Matic and am currently replaying the 1961 season (again).  I am running the Braves for the NL replay and I just had a situation where I actually had Roy McMillan, the SS, sacrifice with runners on 1st and 2nd and Spahn on deck, because I felt Spahn had a better chance to drive home the run. (He didn't, he K's as did the leadoff hitter)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In Response to Re: To the Old timer's, great hitting pitchers : Ummmm if you remember Siebert you older than  dirt! LMAO
    Posted by Promise4you2

Maybe so, look who I use for an avatar, El Tiante.

Wink

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In Response to Re: To the Old timer's, great hitting pitchers : Maybe so, look who I use for an avatar, El Tiante.
    Posted by MikeNagy

Man, what does that say about me?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Or me? Thankfully, I have no personal recollections of Warren Spahn.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Casale, Wilson, Peters, Brett....you guys all beat me to the punch.

Of the bunch, I think Peters was the best hitter and Wilson the better long-ball guy.

I met Peters years ago in Phoenix, AZ at an Octoberfest.  He was working for Budweiser, I think, or some other beer company.

By the way, met Ron Swoboda at the same event...  I'm no peanut, but the guy had wrists about the size of my forearms....like Peters, he liked his beer, too...LOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In Response to Re: To the Old timer's, great hitting pitchers : Maybe so, look who I use for an avatar, El Tiante.
    Posted by MikeNagy

So be it my friend. Great game tonight ya think?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In Response to Re: To the Old timer's, great hitting pitchers : Man, what does that say about me?
    Posted by fizsh

Say's you have class and knowledge you should share!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Or me? Thankfully, I have no personal recollections of Warren Spahn.
    Posted by carnie

Nor did I , but dad let me know how great he was!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Casale, Wilson, Peters, Brett....you guys all beat me to the punch. Of the bunch, I think Peters was the best hitter and Wilson the better long-ball guy. I met Peters years ago in Phoenix, AZ at an Octoberfest.  He was working for Budweiser, I think, or some other beer company. By the way, met Ron Swoboda at the same event...  I'm no peanut, but the guy had wrists about the size of my forearms....like Peters, he liked his beer, too...LOL
    Posted by ampoule

Not wanting to change the direction but Swoboda was an animal!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Without looking it up I seem to remember James "Kitty" Kaat doing okay with the bat.

What did that guy play like almost 30 years?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In Response to Re: To the Old timer's, great hitting pitchers : So be it my friend. Great game tonight ya think?
    Posted by Promise4you2

Good game so far, a little too close for comfort though. I see King Felix beat the yanks 1-0.

I actually meant that Zambrano wasn't an old timer, I am old as dirt (almost).

Sections
Shortcuts