To those who don't want A-Gon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: To those who don't want A-Gon

Dude, I went to QMS!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I think we can all see that Gonzalez is exhausted.  He's played almost 30 games.  He needs rest.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

it is Sunday and Agon was mentally with Jesus....like Sandy koufax he will need all games on the Sabbath off!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: To those who don't want A-Gon:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: To those who don't want A-Gon : You are right about him not worrying about anything financially! I would think that  athletes that have any sense of pride would feel pressure to perform after they sign these ridiculous contracts. There is no athlete in any sport that actually is worth 20 million dollars or more per season.
    Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

Well, Theo thought he was worth 22 million a year for 7 years....

There really is no pressure.  Just practice hard, focus during the games, and play hard.  Relaxing is part of it too.  Always need to relax in a big spot.  But it's not like my job where if I mess up at work, I won't be eating next month.  Now that's some serious pressure!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

LET ME BE PERFECTLY CLEAR.....WHEN WE ARE IN NATIONAL LEAGUE PARKS, MR ADRIAN GONZALEZ WILL BE RIDING PINE IN FAVOR OF OUR REAL BEST HITTER MR DAVID ORTIZ....CASE CLOSED.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Dude, I went to QMS!!
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]How old are you?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To those who don't want A-Gon : How old are you?
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

how old are you?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To those who don't want A-Gon : Well, Theo thought he was worth 22 million a year for 7 years.... There really is no pressure.  Just practice hard, focus during the games, and play hard.  Relaxing is part of it too.  Always need to relax in a big spot.  But it's not like my job where if I mess up at work, I won't be eating next month.  Now that's some serious pressure!
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100%. I was in sales for almost 30 years so I know where you are coming from. I had no choice but to produce, consistently. As far as AGon, I hope he can turn things around.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To those who don't want A-Gon : I agree with you 100%. I was in sales for almost 30 years so I know where you are coming from. I had no choice but to produce, consistently. As far as AGon, I hope he can turn things around.
    Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

Bingo.  So you get it.  Now that's pressure.  If I had a guaranteed contract at work at huge money I can tell you this - I would probably be a much more productive BECAUSE the real pressure and worries were off and I could focus like a laser....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To those who don't want A-Gon : how old are you?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]54, which anyone can see from my profile, I'm also a hillbilly from Maine. Who are you?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I don't want Gonzalez gone. I just want him to start hitting like we all he can.

As usual, there's a lot of revisionist history out there. I don't recall any complaining two years ago when the Sox signed Gonzalez even at the expense of not re-signing Beltre. But it's Monday morning now, and everyone's a quarterback.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]I don't want Gonzalez gone. I just want him to start hitting like we all he can. As usual, there's a lot of revisionist history out there. I don't recall any complaining two years ago when the Sox signed Gonzalez even at the expense of not re-signing Beltre. But it's Monday morning now, and everyone's a quarterback.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

And I wonder how many of these posters who are crying about not re-signing Beltre will man up over the next three years of Beltre's contract when he's on the DL and Middlebrooks is tearing it up at 3B for Boston. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I don't want Gonzalez gone. I just want him to start hitting like we all he can. As usual, there's a lot of revisionist history out there. I don't recall any complaining two years ago when the Sox signed Gonzalez even at the expense of not re-signing Beltre. But it's Monday morning now, and everyone's a quarterback.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]We sure are aren't we?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No, I questioned it.  We had Youk.  We could have tried to keep Beltre.  We didn't have to trade the farm or spend 154 million on a position that is fairly easy to fill.  Was I dead-against it?  No.  It was a tough call but I did clearly prefer to not go in that direction. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

And too add -- my question on my previous post could even end up being applicable this year. Beltre had the PH-HR Saturday night, but he missed the three previous games with a hamstring injury and didn't play today. So who knows how much time he'll miss this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]No, I questioned it.  We had Youk.  We could have tried to keep Beltre.  We didn't have to trade the farm or spend 154 million on a position that is fairly easy to fill.  Was I dead-against it?  No.  It was a tough call but I did clearly prefer to not go in that direction. 
    Having Gonzalez, Youkilis AND Beltre would have been completely illogical.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Who said I wanted all 3?  I said keep what you had because it was working....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To those who don't want A-Gon : Having Gonzalez, Youkilis AND Beltre would have been completely illogical.

Come on Dobbs...get off this thread and go update the "ONE WEEK LATER" thread....I even bumped it up for you.....:)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I was happy when they signed Gonzalez.

Now I realize he doesn't try and he really, really stinks at baseball.

Should I lie and pretend he is great?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To those who don't want A-Gon : Having Gonzalez, Youkilis AND Beltre would have been completely illogical.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]Youk would have been the odd man out. Which is a positon I was advocating 2 years ago. But I'll say no more on that topic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Who said I wanted all 3?  I said keep what you had because it was working....
    It was? We missed the playoffs in 2010. And with Beltre, I understood the concern the FO had with re-signing him. In his previous five seasons, he had hit .255, .268, .276, .266 and .265. It could very well have been a blip. And last year in Texas, though he hit .296 and drove in 105 runs, he missed 38 games.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To those who don't want A-Gon : It was? We missed the playoffs in 2010. And with Beltre, I understood the concern the FO had with re-signing him. In his previous five seasons, he had hit .255, .268, .276, .266 and .265. It could very well have been a blip. And last year in Texas, though he hit .296 and drove in 105 runs, he missed 38 games.

Dobbs - I believe you need to check the stats.  We mashed in 2010.  Hitting wasn't the issue.  PITCHING WAS THE ISSUE.  So what does Theo do?  He goes out and gets Gonzo, and Crawful and Bobby Jenks......HELLOOOOOOOOOOO

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To those who don't want A-Gon : I was happy when they signed Gonzalez. Now I realize he doesn't try and he really, really stinks at baseball. Should I lie and pretend he is great?
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

And you know he doesn't try ... how?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To those who don't want A-Gon : And you know he doesn't try ... how?
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

He naps in the dugout.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Beltre is injured again and his hamstring continue to hamper him, along with Youk not looking so great now. I don't think any of you would exactly be happy with that situation now would you?

You really think Luchino didn't want Gonzalez also all those years with the Padres and the connections he still had there? Get real andrewmitch, owners signed off on the big name signing Theo didn't just run around like a lose cannon offering contracts to whomever he wanted to. I agree Crawford wasn't necessary and Lackey was just plain dumb. But look at Gonzalez's numbers last year and previous years. There is no reason to don't him right now, its ok to point out he is in a slump and may need a day off and work on his swing. 

No worries I have a decent list of names to pull out at the end of the year to see how they still feel about Gonzalez. Byt the way baseball is nothing like sales, it's a sport were you fail more often that not 60-80% on a daily basis. 

Sections
Shortcuts