Todays Herald article about the Sox pen woes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Todays Herald article about the Sox pen woes

Great article.This group is way overworked of late and still has been coming up huge. Sooner or later the wear and tear will take its toll if Dempster Dubrount and Lackey can do no better than 5innings per outing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Re: Todays Herald article about the Sox pen woes

Is Bailey still scheduled to come off the dl tomorrow? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Sox relievers are 16th in IP. (We are just 3 IP above being 22nd.)

Media hype over a non-issue.

These numbers include

21.0 Mortensen (our new "longman")

18.1 Tazawa

14.1 by Alex Wilson

13.0 Miller

12.1 Bailey

7.1 by Hanrahan (who won't pitch anymore for us.)

6.2 Breslow

5.1 Doubront

4.1 by Aceves (may not pitch again for the big club)

6.2 by Wright, de la Torre and Bard.

The only guys who may be on pace for too many innings are:

Uehara (16.2- on pace for about 60 IP)

Tazawa (18.1- on pace for about 75 IP)

Construct strawman, create hype, and troll for feedback.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

This was in a previous thread and when you look at the numbers NO RS pitcher is on any schedule to pitch any more/extra innings than any previous RS team. As a matter of fact they are some what on a less than average schedule.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In terms of total appearances, we rank dead middle at #8, and in terms of individual appearances, there are 13 players in the AL with 20+, and we have none of them.  I've looked at the different strata, and we don't dominate any particular space.  From all the objective stats I've looked at, not a one of them stands out as unusual.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Im not sure what is different about this year...we have a few pitchers that pitch late into games this is why we carry 12/13 pitchers and call them up frequently

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

It's not total IP, it's how frequently back to back and total pitches during those appearances. The top end of the pen was and is being taxed, as I correctly noted weeks ago.

The good news is that Manager John is rotating in some new blood (Wilson) to address the issue. He did his best to be patient with Dumpster, last night, but pulled the plug before it was too late. They are going to have to be acutely aware of the need to give a higher ratio of days off and rotating up and down from the minors. I've been pleased that they seem to be in tune on the issue.

I think the number of pitches tells more of the story than just IP. Also, as you stated, the back-to-back days. This is why JF placed Lester between Lackey and Doubront, so he could hopefully cut down on that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

It's not total IP, it's how frequently back to back and total pitches during those appearances. The top end of the pen was and is being taxed, as I correctly noted weeks ago.

The good news is that Manager John is rotating in some new blood (Wilson) to address the issue. He did his best to be patient with Dumpster, last night, but pulled the plug before it was too late. They are going to have to be acutely aware of the need to give a higher ratio of days off and rotating up and down from the minors. I've been pleased that they seem to be in tune on the issue.

I think the number of pitches tells more of the story than just IP. Also, as you stated, the back-to-back days. This is why JF placed Lester between Lackey and Doubront, so he could hopefully cut down on that.

I agree.  The number of pitches is absolutely more important than just IP.

This whole issue has been a concern of mine for some time now.  The 3-5 pitchers MUST start eating up more innings.

Another factor that one must take into considration are the number of times the people in the bullpen warm up, but don't come in.  It's a long season and all of it's accumulative.

Like I've mentioned on another thread,  these guys are human, not machines.

As a side note, this really tells us how the FO feels about Aceves....a non-person.   

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

I agree.  The number of pitches is absolutely more important than just IP.

This whole issue has been a concern of mine for some time now.  The 3-5 pitchers MUST start eating up more innings.

Another factor that one must take into considration are the number of times the people in the bullpen warm up, but don't come in.  It's a long season and all of it's accumulative.

Like I've mentioned on another thread,  these guys are human, not machines.

As a side note, this really tells us how the FO feels about Aceves....a non-person.   

from what Im hearing amp, the guys on the team really dont want Aceves back. I think theyve had enough of his act. I dont blame them after he threw them under the bus. Now, if AA can perform good and be a "model Citizen" in AAA, I believe someone will be willing to trade for him. Nothing big, but probably something they can use.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I like what this kid we picked up from the independent league is doing...

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t546&t=p_pbp&pid=455119

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

he's  6'7'' 175? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

he's  6'7'' 175? 

needs to add a little weight, but hes doing great.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

he's  6'7'' 175? 

yeah he is doing great...he got drafted by 2 teams and did not sign.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

he's  6'7'' 175? 

yeah he is doing great...he got drafted by 2 teams and did not sign.

Big kid like that who throws downhill can be very successful. I think hes going to get a look soon.

Wonder why he didnt sign...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's not "total appearances", it's the top of the pen and the back to back and total pitches that is the issue. Aggregate stats are frequently little more than counting signs on a long drive.

Clown.

If they are not high in IP or appearances, and happen to have more back-to back games (where's your data?), then they must have more days off in between than the norm.

Nobody in our pen is overused, except for maybe Uehara. 

Tazawa should be able to handle 75 IP.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ok, heres why...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/07/29/red_sox_farmhand_chris_martin_goes_from_odd_jobs_to_getting_the_job_done/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

thanks...throws in the 90's....not to bad...and he's having a nice season...could be a gem.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Uehara has pitched "back to back" only 3 times this year (4/10-4/11, 4/25-2/26, & 5/4-5/4. One time the second day was for 1/3 inning and 8 pitches, and the other two were for 17 pitches.

Tazawa has had 5 back to back games pitched:

4/4 - 4/5  9 pitches + 14

4/10-4/11 for 17 +11 pitches

4/21-2/22 for 18 + 8

4/26-4/27 for 8+ 11

5/4-5/5 for 21 + 1

Bailey had several times with multiple days off between appearances and 1 time with back to back and one time with 3 in a row:

4/17-4/18 for 16 + 13 pitches

4/20-4/21-4/22 for 22 + 10+21 pitches

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Number of pitches is important so is appearances in regards to how often with days off.

As stated if you look at all the current RS pitchers numbers vs last year I see no BP guy  on a pace to exceed what was accomplished last year in all areas. Except in BB with some.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Number of pitches is important so is appearances in regards to how often with days off.

As stated if you look at all the current RS pitchers numbers vs last year I see no BP guy  on a pace to exceed what was accomplished last year in all areas. Except in BB with some.

Agree Jim. No need to worry right now, but obviously keeping a close eye on things. Especially with Koji. I think JF has worked the pen about as good as he can, trying not to let pitchers go BTB after a high pitch count the night before.

When the starters cant consistently give you about 7IP, like with our 3-5 lately, His job gets very tough. 

Lackey was doing a fine job before the RD today and looked like he could have gone 8IP, or even a CG. Thats what we need from the bottom 3.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Agree Jim. No need to worry right now, but obviously keeping a close eye on things. Especially with Koji. I think JF has worked the pen about as good as he can, trying not to let pitchers go BTB after a high pitch count the night before.

When the starters cant consistently give you about 7IP, like with our 3-5 lately, His job gets very tough. 

Lackey was doing a fine job before the RD today and looked like he could have gone 8IP, or even a CG. Thats what we need from the bottom 3.

South what I find strange is that this thread is about over working the BP yet another thread is about not pulling a pitcher fast enough.

Check out the arguements by some on both threads.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

South what I find strange is that this thread is about over working the BP yet another thread is about not pulling a pitcher fast enough.

Check out the arguements by some on both threads.

I have. Some are just never going to be the slightest bit happy. Its kinda funny.

Sometimes you have to leave your starter in there even though hes not doing that well. You have to look a week ahead and not just that day.

the BP a delicate balance in and of itself, nevermind adding injuries to your 2 closers and then having to rely unfamiliar faces (Wilson) to come through for you.

Farrell has done about as good a job as we could ask for. Hes not been perfect, but then who ever has.