Todd Helton: Red Sox show 'ultimate class'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Todd Helton: Red Sox show 'ultimate class'

It's great that the Sox showed Helton much deserved respect in his last home game,but if what I read is true,I have a problem with that.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/red-sox-talk/helton-red-sox-show-ultimate-class?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki told reporters that Red Sox starter Jake Peavy had informed Helton before the game: "I'm going to throw you all [fastballs]." It was a fastball that Helton hit for a home run in the second inning.

"I think Peavy just did me a favor," Helton said. "He's a good dude, and he probably just helped me out right there."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Todd Helton: Red Sox show 'ultimate class'

That's nice but what if that cost us the game and homefield advantage?

That's not really class at all but disrepecting the Sox and their fans

Class would had been something like all the Sox players to come out of the dugout and the guys in the field to tip their cap to him before his first AB and Jake could had stepped off the mound and allowed plenty of time for it - something like that......

Maybe if we have a 5 run lead in mid innings, OK - sure fine.  Or if we already clinched Home Field for Oct........but this was not right at all.  Peavy is lucky we won.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox won 15-5 last night so I do not have a problem with Peavy.  

Helton seems to be a very humble guy so he probably did not want to get much credit for his homer.  

More importantly, the Oakland A's lost last night so Boston has a two-game lead with three to go.   Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Helton seems to be a very humble guy so he probably did not want to get too much credit for his homer.  

More importantly, the Oakland A's lost last night so Boston has a two-ggame lead with three to go.   Laughing

what was the score at the time of the event?  and what inning was it?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

...and we're all lucky Peavy didn't try to annex the Sudetenland after the game.   ;-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

That's nice but what if that cost us the game and homefield advantage?

That's not really class at all but disrepecting the Sox and their fans

Class would had been something like all the Sox players to come out of the dugout and the guys in the field to tip their cap to him before his first AB and Jake could had stepped off the mound and allowed plenty of time for it - something like that......

Maybe if we have a 5 run lead in mid innings, OK - sure fine.  Or if we already clinched Home Field for Oct........but this was not right at all.  Peavy is lucky we won.

The article goes deeper into the "class" remark,like how they stayed in the dugout during the ceremony so the focus was on Helton,etc..

Throwing the meatball is the paragraph I chose to paste because I find it a little upsetting.A move like that could have cost the Sox homefield advantage.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

...and we're all lucky Peavy didn't try to annex the Sudetenland after the game.   ;-)

Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Helton seems to be a very humble guy so he probably did not want to get too much credit for his homer.  

More importantly, the Oakland A's lost last night so Boston has a two-ggame lead with three to go.   Laughing

what was the score at the time of the event?

Helton's homer made it 3-1 (Red Sox lead) in the bottom of the second inning.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

what was the score at the time of the event?

I know that the Red Sox were up only 3-0 at the time.  At least nobody was on base when Helton hit the homer.    

Thank goodness, the Red Sox won.  I'm sure Peavy will not do such a thing during the playoffs.  LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

no problem with it....only because:  outcome of game.

tipping off FB is huge though as he only throws ~50% FB's.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

It's great that the Sox showed Helton much deserved respect in his last home game,but if what I read is true,I have a problem with that.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/red-sox-talk/helton-red-sox-show-ultimate-class?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki told reporters that Red Sox starter Jake Peavy had informed Helton before the game: "I'm going to throw you all [fastballs]." It was a fastball that Helton hit for a home run in the second inning.

"I think Peavy just did me a favor," Helton said. "He's a good dude, and he probably just helped me out right there."

I find that incredibly hard to believe. Peavy is too much of a competitor to announce to any hitter what he is going to throw, regardless of the circumstances. I think Peavy knows very well how valuable HFA is to the team he belongs to and places a higher value on it than ceremony. TT was kidding, I am quite sure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Not.  A.  Story.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Yeah, Peavey is probably worried that you might start calling him names, if he'd lost...

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Not.  A.  Story.

That wont stop some from overreacting.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

It's called a fix. Nice job, Peavy.

Exhibit "A".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

I find that incredibly hard to believe. Peavy is too much of a competitor to announce to any hitter what he is going to throw, regardless of the circumstances. I think Peavy knows very well how valuable HFA is to the team he belongs to and places a higher value on it than ceremony. TT was kidding, I am quite sure.

Exactly. Tulo was kidding, but the ignorant will whine like little mental midgets do, well before they find out the truth.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If Peavy grooved one for Helton, that is not too good. This was a meaningful game for the Sox. Peavy is not all that good to begin with. He can't afford to give away anything. Sure , it didn't have an effect on the outcome, but it could have.  This should not be laughed off.

Stabbed by Foulke.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I can almost see Peavy saying that.... tongue in cheek.  Then when Helton hits a FB out it what he said gets jumped on.  Get real, folks.  No ML pitcher is going to tell any hitter that in seriousness, and most certainly not a warrior like Peavy.

Also, IF it happened...

I think my bigger problem is with Tulowitzki taking it to the press.  What was that supposed to accomplish??  And is this a guy you want on your team, one who runs to the press with what happens in the locker room??

IF it happened...

someone didn't show much class, and that someone's name has a "z" in it. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

It just tells you how confident Peavy was.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

If Peavy grooved one for Helton, that is not too good. This was a meaningful game for the Sox. Peavy is not all that good to begin with. He can't afford to give away anything. Sure , it didn't have an effect on the outcome, but it could have.  This should not be laughed off.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Peavy is a former cy young winner who was in the running last year as well. He also has a pretty good whip. He does tend to give up a few bombs especially to left handed hitters but they're typically solo blasts. Not all that good he says. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

This HAS happened before

2002 All Star Game

Curt Schilling

vs

Alex Rodriguez

You don't remember?

CS walked toward the plate while AR was walking up the box

CS was telling AR he was going to throw him nothing but FB's

AR looked perplexed and then annoyed

CS said my best vs your best

CS pumped 4 or 5 FB's

And AR K'd

CLASSIC

it does happen

just not in a game that counts.........

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

If JP tipped off/intentionally grooved one to Helton, sure, it is against the code of competition and risky, given the Sox fight for homefield.

But, let us weigh the risk vs. what he was trying to accomplish:  

giving one of the great (and underrated) players, the Rockie of all Rockies, and also one of Peavey's biggest career foes, and the Rockie fans a pricesless send-off memory from his last game.  This was a great moment.

vs.

the risk of losing the game.  Well, it was 3-0 with no one on base in the early innings.  If there was a time to do this, that was it.  Risky? OK, sure, but ... to me, not really that heavy of a risk.

Not heavy risk vs. awesome reward for fans/Helton/The Game of Baseball

Well done Jake Peavey.  A true competitor honoring a long-time foe. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

Peavy is a former cy young winner who was in the running last year as well. He also has a pretty good whip. He does tend to give up a few bombs especially to left handed hitters but they're typically solo blasts. Not all that good he says. 

A 4.17 ERA says that he is not all that good. The past is the past. He is not what he used to be.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

A 4.17 ERA says that he is not all that good. The past is the past. He is not what he used to be.

And context is everything.  You can look at a 4.17 ERA and make conclusions.  Or, you can recall that he was coming off major injury and was working himself back into form before the trade.  And, consider that pre-injury 2012, he had a 3.37 ERA and a WHIP under 1.1.  More significant in my mind than a 4.17 ERA for the year is:  With the Red Sox, he is 4-1 in the middle of a stretch run. And, a 4.0whatever it is ERA pitching predominantly against AL East competition?  Weight it or don't, but I certainly do.  

No, Peavey is not the CY Young winner of the mid-naughts.  But, he is still a good pitcher.  And if the stats don't tell you that, have you really watched him pitch with the Sox and come to the conclusion that he is not good?  Not what he was?  OK.  No, he isn't.  But, based on tangible, visible evidence from his short tenure thus far with the Sox, I conclude that he has planty left in the tank, and I feel confident when he gets the ball every five, and I will feel confident when he gets the ball in the playoffs.

Sections
Shortcuts