Todd Helton: Red Sox show 'ultimate class'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Todd Helton: Red Sox show 'ultimate class'

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

It's called a fix. Nice job, Peavy.

Laughable

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I can almost see Peavy saying that.... tongue in cheek.  Then when Helton hits a FB out it what he said gets jumped on.  Get real, folks.  No ML pitcher is going to tell any hitter that in seriousness, and most certainly not a warrior like Peavy.

Also, IF it happened...

I think my bigger problem is with Tulowitzki taking it to the press.  What was that supposed to accomplish??  And is this a guy you want on your team, one who runs to the press with what happens in the locker room??

IF it happened...

someone didn't show much class, and that someone's name has a "z" in it. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I could see a pitcher doing it

but not that early, especially  in a semi important game

good point about tulowitzki S5

maybe you talk about it yrs later

he's going have  2 B much more press savvy when he takes jeters place next yr ;-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I'll tell you what was classy. when salty walked out to the mound to talk to jake giving the guy an extra 30 seconds to take in the standing O the crowd gave him. that was classy. hey all in all, he got a great sendoff into the sunset on his new horse and we got a W which was really the most important part of last night. agreed?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

I'll tell you what was classy. when salty walked out to the mound to talk to jake giving the guy an extra 30 seconds to take in the standing O the crowd gave him. that was classy. hey all in all, he got a great sendoff into the sunset on his new horse and we got a W which was really the most important part of last night. agreed?

Agreed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Agreed

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

exactly

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

That truly was classy. Throwing an intentional meatball is not classy. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

If Peavy grooved one for Helton, that is not too good. This was a meaningful game for the Sox. Peavy is not all that good to begin with. He can't afford to give away anything. Sure , it didn't have an effect on the outcome, but it could have.  This should not be laughed off.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Peavy is a former cy young winner who was in the running last year as well. He also has a pretty good whip. He does tend to give up a few bombs especially to left handed hitters but they're typically solo blasts. Not all that good he says. 

A 4.17 ERA says that he is not all that good. The past is the past. He is not what he used to be.

And context is everything.  You can look at a 4.17 ERA and make conclusions.  Or, you can recall that he was coming off major injury and was working himself back into form before the trade.  And, consider that pre-injury 2012, he had a 3.37 ERA and a WHIP under 1.1.  More significant in my mind than a 4.17 ERA for the year is:  With the Red Sox, he is 4-1 in the middle of a stretch run. And, a 4.0whatever it is ERA pitching predominantly against AL East competition?  Weight it or don't, but I certainly do.  

No, Peavey is not the CY Young winner of the mid-naughts.  But, he is still a good pitcher.  And if the stats don't tell you that, have you really watched him pitch with the Sox and come to the conclusion that he is not good?  Not what he was?  OK.  No, he isn't.  But, based on tangible, visible evidence from his short tenure thus far with the Sox, I conclude that he has planty left in the tank, and I feel confident when he gets the ball every five, and I will feel confident when he gets the ball in the playoffs.

Well, let's hope so. I have not been as impressed as you and some others. I hope you don't have " The Wrong Stuff " here.  We will need him to come through in the playoffs. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

If Peavy grooved one for Helton, that is not too good. This was a meaningful game for the Sox. Peavy is not all that good to begin with. He can't afford to give away anything. Sure , it didn't have an effect on the outcome, but it could have.  This should not be laughed off.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Peavy is a former cy young winner who was in the running last year as well. He also has a pretty good whip. He does tend to give up a few bombs especially to left handed hitters but they're typically solo blasts. Not all that good he says. 

A 4.17 ERA says that he is not all that good. The past is the past. He is not what he used to be.

And context is everything.  You can look at a 4.17 ERA and make conclusions.  Or, you can recall that he was coming off major injury and was working himself back into form before the trade.  And, consider that pre-injury 2012, he had a 3.37 ERA and a WHIP under 1.1.  More significant in my mind than a 4.17 ERA for the year is:  With the Red Sox, he is 4-1 in the middle of a stretch run. And, a 4.0whatever it is ERA pitching predominantly against AL East competition?  Weight it or don't, but I certainly do.  

No, Peavey is not the CY Young winner of the mid-naughts.  But, he is still a good pitcher.  And if the stats don't tell you that, have you really watched him pitch with the Sox and come to the conclusion that he is not good?  Not what he was?  OK.  No, he isn't.  But, based on tangible, visible evidence from his short tenure thus far with the Sox, I conclude that he has planty left in the tank, and I feel confident when he gets the ball every five, and I will feel confident when he gets the ball in the playoffs.

Well, let's hope so. I have not been as impressed as you and some others. I hope you don't have " The Wrong Stuff " here.  We will need him to come through in the playoffs. 

[/QUOTE]

DG, you are a tough customer.  He has had 3 mediocre starts (1 of those poor) out of 9.  Thes rest have been solid to very good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Getting on the "Agreed" bandwagon.  Smile

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

DG, you are a tough customer.  He has had 3 mediocre starts (1 of those poor) out of 9.  Thes rest have been solid to very good.

[/QUOTE]

I guess that I am still a little ticked off at the Iglesias trade. I do want Peavy to succeed. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I guess that I am still a little ticked off at the Iglesias trade. I do want Peavy to succeed. 

[/QUOTE]

I hear that DG.  Iglesias was a big sacrifice.  I probably disgree with you as to his long-term value to the club, but I also certainly love a shortstop of his calibre.  Nevertheless, the Iglesias sacrifice was made to capitilize on a window to win that no one could have seen coming.  And, in my opnion, I am not sure the Red Sox are on the verge of HFA for the playoffs without Peavey.  He anchored the rotation with Lackey when Lester was still working back into form and Buchholz was out, ate innings (and not in a latter-day Wake kind of way) saving a sputtering pen, and added to the mojo (ephemoral though that may be).   He has had some huuuge starts in pivotal games for the Sox.  And, to boot, as  4th starter, gives the Red Sox maybe the best overall playoff rotation.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Judas Priest. Does anyone actually believes Jake Peavy intentionally threw a meatball to Todd Helton?

Peavy's primary pitch is the four-seamer, so  that he'd be throwing fastballs to him isn't all that stunning. According to MLB's Gameday, Helton's homer came on an 87-mph cutter.

For those who  haven't been paying attention over the past 16 years, Todd Helton is a pretty decent hitter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

It makes him seem like a number two starter.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

Every opportunity to rag on Peavy because of iggy... its halarious

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

Every opportunity to rag on Peavy because of iggy... its halarious

[/QUOTE]

Hilarious ?  You think I'm funny ?  Do I amuse you ?  Make you laugh ?  How am I funny ? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

If Indeed Peavy told him that all he would throw him was fastballs...Helton Still has to hit it...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddad. Show baddad's posts

i dont thik groovin the ball to helton is class i think its classless
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,peavey  is on the red sox andthe red sox are tying yo finish with best record  for home field,,,,you play for your own team...recent addition or not,,,,,,if its true its pathetic ...old school managers or front office would have pulled  him and thrown his buutt on bench,,,,,its supposed to be all about team,,,,,,,,your team

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.