Tom Verducci from Sports Illustrated on WEEI: talks about Crawford & highly critical of NYY:"their team isn't built for the 2011 game."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Tom Verducci from ...

WEEI:

Tom Verducci from Sports Illustrated and the Major League Baseball Network joined Dennis & Callahan to talk about the season at the quarter-mark, the Yankees outlook and why pitchers have been ahead of the hitters. He was also asked about Carl Crawford, who has continued to struggle in his first season with the Red Sox.

"He may need an entire season to really get adjusted to Boston and playing in the environment," Verducci said. "Obviously the Red Sox hope it comes a lot quicker, but it is a cultural change. There's no doubt. Where you have to explain yourself after every 0-for-4 every night of the week, it's a difficult adjustment. There's nothing that can prepare you for New York, Boston and I'll put Philly in this category, where the level of accountability is like nothing else in baseball. Some guys, like Edgar Renteria, they aren't comfortable and they never do get comfortable. I think Carl's going to be OK. But it may take longer than he or the Red Sox may like."

As for the Yankees, Verducci said that their team isn't built for the 2011 game.

"The Yankees put together a team that is counter to almost every trend in baseball," Verducci said. "You can't rely on offense from every-day production of guys in their late 30's. The Yankees have three guys in their starting nine [that age] and that doesn't even address the pitching. Pitching, they're way too right-handed. They have two left-handed pitchers on the entire staff, that needs to be addressed. Defense has become a bigger part of the game and they're a below-average defensive team. And they rely way too much on the home run. The Yankees don't have many ways to win without home runs. They're the worst team in baseball as far as getting a team from second base with a base hit. They don't run the bases well. They don't situational hit well. They can still hit home runs but I think that's a dangerous way to live."

Verducci believes that is part of a larger trend in baseball where young pitching, in adition to stricter drug-testing, has leveled the playing field across the board. "We're so used to seeing New York and Boston pound people and pile up wins especially on the back half of the division," he said. "That doesn't happen anywhere in baseball." 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Tom Verducci from Sports Illustrated on WEEI: talks about Crawford & highly critical of NYY:"their team isn't bu...

Verdummy is telling you what I was telling you in February - and he has needed a 1/3 of the season to go by before he had the brains to figure it out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Tom Verducci from Sports Illustrated on WEEI: talks about Crawford & highly critical of NYY:"their team isn't bu...

The Red Sox scored from first on a hit twice this week, which proved to be the winning run. That is what Theo wanted to see more with Ellsbury and Crawford in the lineup.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Verducci from Sports Illustrated on WEEI: talks about Crawford & highly critical of NYY:"their team isn't built for the 2011 game.":
    Verdummy is telling you what I was telling you in February - and he has needed a 1/3 of the season to go by before he had the brains to figure it out.
    Posted by BurritoT

And what makes you think that he wasn't saying the same thing in February? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

"You can't rely on offense from every-day production of guys in their late 30's. The Yankees have three guys in their starting nine [that age] and that doesn't even address the pitching. Pitching, they're way too right-handed. They have two left-handed pitchers on the entire staff, that needs to be addressed. Defense has become a bigger part of the game and they're a below-average defensive team. And they rely way too much on the home run. The Yankees don't have many ways to win without home runs. They're the worst team in baseball as far as getting a team from second base with a base hit. They don't run the bases well. They don't situational hit well. They can still hit home runs but I think that's a dangerous way to live."

all that and they're only 2 runs short of leading the league

besides

'' chicks love the long ball ''

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Verducci is jumping on a the current bandwagon of the day. Much of the same could be said of the RS and if they have another tough stretch and he is on WFAN I am sure that will be his take. Here's why:

Both OF's have 2 speedier guys and a station to station RF, I give a slight edge to Drew in terms of contributing to team speed. Of the starting OFers, Drew is by far the oldest, the other match-ups the age difference is not of consequence IMO.

The IF? The 1B are both slow and are similar ages. 2B I would think cano is faster and age isn't a real factor. Yeah the SS is older but his base running isn't a factor when compared to either Scut or Lowrie. The thrid baseman? A-Rod is faster than Youk with his bad hip. Youk gets the age and mileage nod as well as hitting for averages but at the end of the year I think Alex will have more "pop".

C? None of them can run. Martin is going to give you more ways to score. DH? Huge edge in production but this team speed theme? A foot race with papi may be the only contest Posada could still dominate.

He sights the lack of left handed depth in the pitching staff. The entire difference in the two staffs on this point is Rich Hill.

The RS have an edge in starters 1-3 with the injuries to Lackey and Dice K. The bullpen was something the NYY wanted to make very strong after the Lee signing fizzled and it hasn't happened for them.

But the NYY had a losing streak and the guys like Verducci and Rosenthal are quick to make brilliant observations like this 40 plus games into the season. They know nobody ever calls them on being wrong so their roles as expert observers allows a reach like this.

For the years I have participated in forums like this I have always said call the NYY dead at your own peril. This pronouncement from Verducci is just another of those in a long line of them since the 2001 WS concluded.

Just my take

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Verducci critical of the Yanks?.....get out of town!!!...SealedLaughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Verducci from Sports Illustrated on WEEI: talks about Crawford & highly critical of NYY:"their team isn't built for the 2011 game.":
    "You can't rely on offense from every-day production of guys in their late 30's. The Yankees have three guys in their starting nine [that age] and that doesn't even address the pitching. Pitching, they're way too right-handed. They have two left-handed pitchers on the entire staff, that needs to be addressed. Defense has become a bigger part of the game and they're a below-average defensive team. And they rely way too much on the home run. The Yankees don't have many ways to win without home runs. They're the worst team in baseball as far as getting a team from second base with a base hit. They don't run the bases well. They don't situational hit well. They can still hit home runs but I think that's a dangerous way to live." all that and they're only 2 runs short of leading the league besides          '' chicks love the long ball ''  
    Posted by pinstripezac32

i watched/heard the interview this morning on NESN/WEEI.....my take on it was Verducci was talking about the 2011 season as a whole, not to date,which is what he was asked

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

when it comes to CRAWFORD, the SOX still have the highest paid #8 batter* in the history of baseball.
    well done THEO!

* i almost said hitter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

I could be wrong, but tell me how the Phillies pitching staff is any younger than the Yank's staff, if you consider hughes, nova, sabathia and burnett as their cornerstones. Also have the Phillies not spent a geat deal of money on long term contracts while having at least three starers with declining skills (Utley, Rollins and Ibanez)? I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the Phillies are the class of the National League, and they are a lot more like the Yankees than they are like Colorado for example. No team holds on to young stars without signing them to prohibitively expensive long term contracts. Eventually those stars become old. The Yankees are not signing aging stars to long term contracts anymore. (Matsui and Damon for example). Jeter was of course an exception; and posada was obviously a big mistake. The Yankees just have more of those contracts than anyone else, that could also be why they compete every single year. I think five katz is spot on -- this is more about their losing streak and the Posada affair than anything else.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Not sure 2011 is a real concern...but 2012 and beyond with 40M in payroll for two guys in the twilight of thier careers playing premium defensive postions could prove to be tough to field a team and keep the teams payroll under 250M. They've already comprimised offense from the catcher with Russel who has perfromed well, but he ain't Posada and he's only hitting .250 as it is...

Pitching they're a soild free agent or trade for a starter away from a very good rotation and if they can sign or aquire say Oswalt. CC is still among the best which would move Burnett to the 3 hole with Hughes and Nova. Make no mistake they really wanted Lee, not just for 2011.

New's Flash...the Yank's ain't going anywhere soon...but they'll be right there at years end...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Verducci discussed the same topic on ESPN/Michael Kay. Unfortunately (From the Yankee fan POV, that is), I pretty much agree with him. However 5katz is right about assuming the Yankees being done are "at your own peril". 

Sections
Shortcuts