Tonight's lineup-Aviles @ 3rd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Tonight's lineup-Aviles @ 3rd

Here is the lineup:

RED SOX (86-63)
    Ellsbury CF
    Pedroia 2B
    Gonzalez 1B
    Ortiz DH
    Reddick RF
    Scutaro SS
    Crawford LF
    Varitek C
    Aviles 3B
    Pitching: RHP Josh Beckett (12-5, 2.49)

RAYS (83-66)
    TBA
    Pitching: RHP James Shields (15-10, 2.70)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Re: Tonight's lineup-Aviles @ 3rd

Lowrie is in his 20s and has low mileage in MLB. Why is he not playing? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Tonight's lineup-Aviles @ 3rd:
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

Hey Softy, I am curious, why the less paul?  is this a play on words?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Tonight's lineup-Aviles @ 3rd : Hey Softy, I am curious, why the less paul?  is this a play on words?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    If he really knew les pauls it would be a 1956 or 1957. 1956 was the last year of the single coil AlNiCo pickups. 1957 was the year Gibson first went with the humbuckers, and they still sound the best.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Tonight's lineup-Aviles @ 3rd : If he really knew les pauls it would be a 1956 or 1957. 1956 was the last year of the single coil AlNiCo pickups. 1957 was the year Gibson first went with the humbuckers, and they still sound the best.
    Posted by carnie

I am a fender man myself carnie, born and bred.  but my favorite rock guitarist is billy gibbons (well, pre-1983 or so), so i appreciate what a les paul can do.  Just wondering whether Softy's spelling is intentional, and if so, why.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Tonight's lineup-Aviles @ 3rd : I am a fender man myself carnie, born and bred.  but my favorite rock guitarist is billy gibbons (well, pre-1983 or so), so i appreciate what a les paul can do.  Just wondering whether Softy's spelling is intentional, and if so, why.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    I didn't catch the spelling. I like Fenders too, Hendrix and EC certainly worked some magic on stratocasters, and I've always loved teles as a country/rockabilly guitar.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Posted by 1958lesspaul

1. He's hitting less than .050 in his last 25 At bats.
    2. He's in his 20's, but has the baseball player body of a 50 year old.
    3. He can't field.
    4. He's hurt.

Anything else?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He's made of glass

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Tonight's lineup-Aviles @ 3rd : I didn't catch the spelling. I like Fenders too, Hendrix and EC certainly worked some magic on stratocasters, and I've always loved teles as a country/rockabilly guitar.
    Posted by carnie

Yeah, funny thing about the tele, given its primitive design, is that it is actually quite versatile.  Great for noisy art rock too (see Sonic Youth, Pixies).  But the best and most tasteful purveyor of a tele growl, to me, is Steve Cropper.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by 1958lesspaul

Lowrie has simply been ineffective at the plate, especially in crucial situations much like Crawford.  Aviles should be playing in place of Lowrie at all positions right now.  Mike is a better hitter and equal fielder.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/gibson_lp_jimmy_page.html

lesspaul is a professional musician's standard slight on inferior luthier design and craftwork that is Gibson. That said, 1958 was the final year of better quality Gibson guitar work, and was the chosen favorite guitar of one of popular music's best stage performers, but not professional musical talents.

Most American quality crafts ended with the "retirement" of the first entitlement generation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Tonight's lineup-Aviles @ 3rd :   Yeah, funny thing about the tele, given its primitive design, is that it is actually quite versatile.  Great for noisy art rock too (see Sonic Youth, Pixies).  But the best and most tasteful purveyor of a tele growl, to me, is Steve Cropper.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    Danny Gatton is probably my favorite tele player, followed closely by Steve Cropper and Albert (the iceman) Collins.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/gibson_lp_jimmy_page.html lesspaul is a professional musician's standard slight on inferior luthier design and craftwork that is Gibson. That said, 1958 was the final year of better quality Gibson guitar work, and was the chosen favorite guitar of one of popular music's best stage performers, but not professional musical talents. Most American quality crafts ended with the "retirement" of the first entitlement generation.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

right, but why the misspelling?  Intentional?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

"less paul" is a slight, for the second intentional time.

I collect guitars, as well as play them. I have a 1918 Gibson O.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i love my strat...his name is Stevie

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

"less paul" is a slight, for the second intentional time. I collect guitars, as well as play them. I have a 1918 Gibson O.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

I guess you are Softy???   Can't believe I'm going to agree with you twice in one comment!  :(

1)   Lowrie does seem to be Soft!  I hear he hurt his finger & is seeing J.D. Drew for rehab ideas???

2)  The raid on the Gibson Les Paul plant is an outrage!  All Liberals should be outraged!!!!  All Americans should be outraged!

Having said that.  I would like to go back to hating Softy!    :)

I really don't like this guy!  I don't like his demagogic politics, or his race baiting social tactics!  :(

It sure is fun hating him though :)  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Why no mention of Chet Atkins?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Why no mention of Chet Atkins?
    Posted by BeaconHill19
    Chet plays a Gretsch. A country gentleman, I believe.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

No, Chet played a Gretsch model 6120. Chet later endorsed a later model Gretsch 6122 marketed as a "Country Gentleman", after a prior popular Atkins' 1953 instrumental.  As with Jimmy Page and other professional musicians, they endorse new series models but continue to record and perform with the original guitars models which are maintained by luthiers. Most guitar professionals will use other brands and models for different sounds, affects and ease of playing for varied songs and rhythms, but always favor the original guitar. The best musicians are session musicians, not pop music celebrity performers and recording acts. A few session musicians posess the visual stage presence and/or vocal tenor to reach celebrity status. See Glen Campbell. One of my regular local gig partners was one of Glen Campbell's chosen Nashville studio banjo musicians, when Campbell moved to LA. Studio musicians who did not write and copywrite recordings that reached hit status did not make much money.             

Sadly, Chet Atkins only plays in heaven and on recordings. He passed away over ten years ago.  

For you hobby musicians out there, the music business is entirely different than musical peforming art. It is dominated by unions and media empires that market it based upon cultural fad, and the performers are typically image props, not talented musical artists. The recent biography of Phil Spector is one of the best quick reads on the ugly jungle that is the music celebrity business.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

No, Chet played a Gretsch model 6120. Chet later endorsed a later model Gretsch 6122 marketed as a "Country Gentleman", after a prior popular Atkins' 1953 instrumental.  As with Jimmy Page and other professional musicians, they endorse new series models but continue to record and perform with the original guitars models which are maintained by luthiers. Most guitar professionals will use other brands and models for different sounds, affects and ease of playing for varied songs and rhythms, but always favor the original guitar. The best musicians are session musicians, not pop music celebrity performers and recording acts. A few session musicians posess the visual stage presence and/or vocal tenor to reach celebrity status. See Glen Campbell. One of my regular local gig partners was one of Glen Campbell's chosen Nashville studio banjo musicians, when Campbell moved to LA. Studio musicians who did not write and copywrite recordings that reached hit status did not make much money.              Sadly, Chet Atkins only plays in heaven and on recordings. He passed away over ten years ago.   For you hobby musicians out there, the music business is entirely different than musical peforming art. It is dominated by unions and media empires that market it based upon cultural fad, and the performers are typically image props, not talented musical artists. The recent biography of Phil Spector is one of the best quick reads on the ugly jungle that is the music celebrity business.  
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

I think I know who you are referring to. Terrific player.

As for Chet, he and his one-time protege` MR. Jerry Reed Hubbard now play to sold out audiences in heaven.

Sections
Shortcuts