Tonight's Lineup-What do you think?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Tonight's Lineup-What do you think?

Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
    Dustin Pedroia, 2B
    Adrian Gonzalez, 1B
    David Ortiz, DH
    Jed Lowrie, 3B
    J.D. Drew, RF
    Carl Crawford, LF
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C
    Marco Scutaro, SS

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Tonight's Lineup-What do you think?

Looks OK to me if everyone will start hitting. While I agree that there are some lineups better than others and some guys might be better in spots than in others, any lineup is good when everyone is hot and no lineup is good when everyone is cold.

The Sox still need Ellsbury and Crawford to start hitting like they can.

Hopefully Youk will be back soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

I'd bat Lowrie lead off and put Ells back in the nine hole.  I just can't see putting a guy with a .273 OBP in the lead off spot.  Who knows?  Maybe putting him at the top of ther order will spark something in him.  There's no time like the present.  Also, I don't care for the two slowest guys hitting back to back.  And yes, we need Youk back really soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

Doesn't even Bill James state that batting order does not matter, the number of runs a team scored would be roughly the same over a course of the season.
    So what about the thinking that involes the idea of alternating lefties and righties, batters offering "protection", speed at the top of the lineup with bat control in the number two spot, etc., etc., etc.?
    One thing we do know is that the higher a player hits in the order, the more times they will come to the plate

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Just two righties in the lineup--Pedroia and Scutaro.  Everyone else is a lefty or switchhitter. 

Another test for Saltalamacchia. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from drewyou. Show drewyou's posts

In Response to Tonight's Lineup-What do you think?:
    Jacoby Ellsbury, CF Dustin Pedroia, 2B Adrian Gonzalez, 1B David Ortiz, DH Jed Lowrie, 3B J.D. Drew, RF Carl Crawford, LF Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C Marco Scutaro, SS
    Posted by -EdithBunker-

Looks pretty good. Think Ells deserves another shot at leadoff. JD did a nice job of getting on base in the past few games, but he's not a true leadoff type. Harren is a tough pitcher, but everyone knows Sox bats are overdue. I'm looking for a big offensive breakout anytime now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

looks about right to me, i think they should put ellsbury at the top and just leave it alone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Someday, I would like to see a manager try something more innovative and different. Scrap, the " traditional " idea of a batting order and put your best hitter at leadoff, second best batting second, third best batting third, and so on throughout the order. The idea being that , over a season , your best hitters will get the most at-bats. Just curious as to how that would work out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Tonight's Lineup-What do you think?:
    Someday, I would like to see a manager try something more innovative and different. Scrap, the " traditional " idea of a batting order and put your best hitter at leadoff, second best batting second, third best batting third, and so on throughout the order. The idea being that , over a season , your best hitters will get the most at-bats. Just curious as to how that would work out.
    Posted by dgalehouse

One of the potential problems is that your best hitters would be hitting behind the worst hitters. And if they got on base more, they'd have worse hitters hitting behind them. That's why the best hitters are often in the 3-4-5 spot with hitters just below that up top so there will be guys on base when the top hitters get on. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

They know tonight's game will probably not involve a lot of offense with Haren pitching. Maybe they are thinking that Ellsbury gives them a better little small ball lineup. 

I'm impressed with this Hank Conger kid. I think he was one of the guys in the futures game last year He was MVP right with a HR in front of the home audience. The Angels have a great farm. Lots of guys still coming up. They are already really solid and it looks like they are just going to keep getting better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Tonight's Lineup-What do you think? : One of the potential problems is that your best hitters would be hitting behind the worst hitters. And if they got on base more, they'd have worse hitters hitting behind them. That's why the best hitters are often in the 3-4-5 spot with hitters just below that up top so there will be guys on base when the top hitters get on. 
    Posted by royf19

Yeah, I know that is the " traditional " idea of a batting order. That is why they call the fourth hitter the " clean up ", the idea being that he comes up with the bases loaded and " cleans " the bases. But how often does that really happen. Also, the idea of your fastest guy hitting leadoff. You can steal a base from anywhere in the order. I'm not saying that this approach would work out but I would like to see somebody try it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd bat Lowrie lead off and put Ells back in the nine hole.  I just can't see putting a guy with a .273 OBP in the lead off spot.  Who knows?  Maybe putting him at the top of ther order will spark something in him.  There's no time like the present.  Also, I don't care for the two slowest guys hitting back to back.  And yes, we need Youk back really soon.
    Posted by joel49

My guess is that Tito thinks Lowrie is better protection for Papi.  Drew is 1-12 with a 5-0 K/W.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

If they lose it is Francona's fault for a lousey line up.
    If they win it will be the players finally playing well.

Just preping folks for the cry tomorrow if they lose....

Sections
Shortcuts