Tons of Positives

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tons of Positives

The year started with so much negativity around here, and now look at where we are. I know I've been critical of certain areas of a few Sox players, but I always pull hard for each and every Sox player every day.
    I won't mention any areas of concerns. This post is about the positives...

I wanna take some time to give some well-deserved props the players on this team:

Salty: Wow! What can you say. Coming out of the shadows of VMart's bat, all the banter over letting VMart walk and the huge gamble theo was taking entrusting the staff to Salty and Vtek. After a slow start, Salty has become one of the best 2011 offensive catchers. He's on a 650 PA pace of 27 Hrs and 100+ RBIs. His .781 OPS is just .012 behind the Sox combined catcher OPS of 2010.

VTek: This guy has settled into the 2/5ths role nicely. His OPS ranks about 15th best in MLB out of the top 30 catchers by PAs. His handling of the Sox staff is legendary. The Sox continue to win and win and win with Jason. If Aceves wins the 10th man award, VTek would deserve the 11th man award in my book.

AGon: A+ Man oh man this guy is the real deal and makes everyone around him better. Hitting, fielding, power: I could take up pages and pages praising this guy. Thanks Theo: great trade and sign. (Sign and trade-wink wink)

Pedey: People said this years team would not be as good. AGon and CC just cancelled out losing Beltre and VMart. Getting Pedey (and Youk) back from injury was as big as anything else this year. The guy is playing MVP style ball after a ruff April. His fielding is off the charts. He took over the clean-up slot during Youk's injury without skipping a beat.

Scutty: Steady. gutsy. Yankee killer. The guy was put down hard during Lowrie's hot start. Did he complain? No. After coming bacl from injury, he has looked like a new man. His fielding is way better than it was early season.

Youkilis: after 6 straight season's of an increasing OPS, Youk has suffered some decline and injury issues. Gotta like his .380 OBP and 100+ RBI full seasonal pace. We need this guy in October. Get healthy, dude!

Lowrie: Started strong and is ending strong. He almost carried us for a while in April. Now he's filling in for Youk and giving Scutty the rest he couldn't get last year.

Aviles: Nice pick-up. He compliments this roster well. Nice .321 BA for the Sox. Nice insurance in case Scutty or Jed get hurt.

Crawford: He's heating up and seems to be loosening up a bit. He's showing some caracter by not letting his troubles overwhelm him.

Ellsbury: Blowing away even the highest expectations of anyone on this site. There's a long list of items to praise. I think many posters have covered them all. Keep going strong Jacoby!

Reddick: Had a super hot streak that helped the team stay hot. Very nice "D", strong arm, and comes to play everyday.

DMac: another slow starter who has bounced back and handled adversity well. He one of our hottest hitters of late and fill the RH'd OF well on offense.

Papi: Papi is Papi. All around hitting, Youthful exuberance. .993 OPS! Seeing the clutch again is nice. Has been hotter than H3LL lately! Go Papi go! You will always be our #1 hero.

Beckett: welcome back Josh- welcome back! He's clearly healthy. Clearly focused. If there weren't so many other pitchers doing so great, he'd be a CY Young winner. Poor run support has skewed his win total, but this guy is a winner.

Lester: He's been steady and strong. Solid numbers. I'm feeling good about this guy come October.

Bedard: Nice pick-up. Looking healthy and consistent. He could be the sleeper hero this fall.

Lackey: Under the circumstances, he's held up pretty well. He's still young enough to turn it up and dominate again. I'm hoping it's this fall.

Wakefield: Waht more can you ask from a 6th starter. 11-8 in his 19 starts. I've listed his numbers enough already. Those who choose not to respect what he has done for this team this year, should be a little more reflective. He's been a horse (3rd in IP/GS). 

Miller: chose a good time to put together a nice staretch of games. His nasty stuff is hard to ignore. Let's hope his control holds up.

Buch: gave us 14 nice starts. Let's hope he recovers.

Papelbon: He's Papelbon again. Nice to see. Lights out. He welcomes October with that icey stare.

Bard: Proving he is here to stay and pushing to be a closer.  2.03 ERA and a 0.806 WHIP is just plain awesome.

Albers: carried us through some tough times with some great numbers for a long long stretch. What a pleasant surprise.

Aceves: Easily the "10th Man" this year. He does it all. The Yanks must be kicking themselves hard (a nice thing).

Wheeler: The injury came at a bad time, but he's back and ready to go at 'em.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Tons of Positives

Perhaps a necessary thread on a tough evening. I think you'll be challenged some by those who have concerns. But the tone of the OP is terrific. Kudos Moon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Great post, Moon. The posters on the game thread are headed for the Tobin Bridge. They'll be a long line, with alot of pushing and shoving

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

In Response to Tons of Positives:
    The year started with so much negativity around here, and now look at where we are. I know I've been critical of certain areas of a few Sox players, but I always pull hard for each and every Sox player every day. I won't mention any areas of concerns. This post is about the positives... I wanna take some time to give some well-deserved props the players on this team: Salty: Wow! What can you say. Coming out of the shadows of VMart's bat, all the banter over letting VMart walk and the huge gamble theo was taking entrusting the staff to Salty and Vtek. After a slow start, Salty has become one of the best 2011 offensive catchers. He's on a 650 PA pace of 27 Hrs and 100+ RBIs. His .781 OPS is just .012 behind the Sox combined catcher OPS of 2010. VTek: This guy has settled into the 2/5ths role nicely. His OPS ranks about 15th best in MLB out of the top 30 catchers by PAs. His handling of the Sox staff is legendary. The Sox continue to win and win and win with Jason. If Aceves wins the 10th man award, VTek would deserve the 11th man award in my book. AGon: A+ Man oh man this guy is the real deal and makes everyone around him better. Hitting, fielding, power: I could take up pages and pages praising this guy. Thanks Theo: great trade and sign. (Sign and trade-wink wink) Pedey: People said this years team would not be as good. AGon and CC just cancelled out losing Beltre and VMart. Getting Pedey (and Youk) back from injury was as big as anything else this year. The guy is playing MVP style ball after a ruff April. His fielding is off the charts. He took over the clean-up slot during Youk's injury without skipping a beat. Scutty: Steady. gutsy. Yankee killer. The guy was put down hard during Lowrie's hot start. Did he complain? No. After coming bacl from injury, he has looked like a new man. His fielding is way better than it was early season. Youkilis: after 6 straight season's of an increasing OPS, Youk has suffered some decline and injury issues. Gotta like his .380 OBP and 100+ RBI full seasonal pace. We need this guy in October. Get healthy, dude! Lowrie: Started strong and is ending strong. He almost carried us for a while in April. Now he's filling in for Youk and giving Scutty the rest he couldn't get last year. Aviles: Nice pick-up. He compliments this roster well. Nice .321 BA for the Sox. Nice insurance in case Scutty or Jed get hurt. Crawford: He's heating up and seems to be loosening up a bit. He's showing some caracter by not letting his troubles overwhelm him. Ellsbury: Blowing away even the highest expectations of anyone on this site. There's a long list of items to praise. I think many posters have covered them all. Keep going strong Jacoby! Reddick: Had a super hot streak that helped the team stay hot. Very nice "D", strong arm, and comes to play everyday. DMac: another slow starter who has bounced back and handled adversity well. He one of our hottest hitters of late and fill the RH'd OF well on offense. Papi: Papi is Papi. All around hitting, Youthful exuberance. .993 OPS! Seeing the clutch again is nice. Has been hotter than H3LL lately! Go Papi go! You will always be our #1 hero. Beckett: welcome back Josh- welcome back! He's clearly healthy. Clearly focused. If there weren't so many other pitchers doing so great, he'd be a CY Young winner. Poor run support has skewed his win total, but this guy is a winner. Lester: He's been steady and strong. Solid numbers. I'm feeling good about this guy come October. Bedard: Nice pick-up. Looking healthy and consistent. He could be the sleeper hero this fall. Lackey: Under the circumstances, he's held up pretty well. He's still young enough to turn it up and dominate again. I'm hoping it's this fall. Wakefield: Waht more can you ask from a 6th starter. 11-8 in his 19 starts. I've listed his numbers enough already. Those who choose not to respect what he has done for this team this year, should be a little more reflective. He's been a horse (3rd in IP/GS).  Miller: chose a good time to put together a nice staretch of games. His nasty stuff is hard to ignore. Let's hope his control holds up. Buch: gave us 14 nice starts. Let's hope he recovers. Papelbon: He's Papelbon again. Nice to see. Lights out. He welcomes October with that icey stare. Bard: Proving he is here to stay and pushing to be a closer.  2.03 ERA and a 0.806 WHIP is just plain awesome. Albers: carried us through some tough times with some great numbers for a long long stretch. What a pleasant surprise. Aceves: Easily the "10th Man" this year. He does it all. The Yanks must be kicking themselves hard (a nice thing). Wheeler: The injury came at a bad time, but he's back and ready to go at 'em.
    Posted by moonslav59

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

In Response to Tons of Positives:
    The year started with so much negativity around here, and now look at where we are. I know I've been critical of certain areas of a few Sox players, but I always pull hard for each and every Sox player every day. I won't mention any areas of concerns. This post is about the positives... I wanna take some time to give some well-deserved props the players on this team: Salty: Wow! What can you say. Coming out of the shadows of VMart's bat, all the banter over letting VMart walk and the huge gamble theo was taking entrusting the staff to Salty and Vtek. After a slow start, Salty has become one of the best 2011 offensive catchers. He's on a 650 PA pace of 27 Hrs and 100+ RBIs. His .781 OPS is just .012 behind the Sox combined catcher OPS of 2010. VTek: This guy has settled into the 2/5ths role nicely. His OPS ranks about 15th best in MLB out of the top 30 catchers by PAs. His handling of the Sox staff is legendary. The Sox continue to win and win and win with Jason. If Aceves wins the 10th man award, VTek would deserve the 11th man award in my book. AGon: A+ Man oh man this guy is the real deal and makes everyone around him better. Hitting, fielding, power: I could take up pages and pages praising this guy. Thanks Theo: great trade and sign. (Sign and trade-wink wink) Pedey: People said this years team would not be as good. AGon and CC just cancelled out losing Beltre and VMart. Getting Pedey (and Youk) back from injury was as big as anything else this year. The guy is playing MVP style ball after a ruff April. His fielding is off the charts. He took over the clean-up slot during Youk's injury without skipping a beat. Scutty: Steady. gutsy. Yankee killer. The guy was put down hard during Lowrie's hot start. Did he complain? No. After coming bacl from injury, he has looked like a new man. His fielding is way better than it was early season. Youkilis: after 6 straight season's of an increasing OPS, Youk has suffered some decline and injury issues. Gotta like his .380 OBP and 100+ RBI full seasonal pace. We need this guy in October. Get healthy, dude! Lowrie: Started strong and is ending strong. He almost carried us for a while in April. Now he's filling in for Youk and giving Scutty the rest he couldn't get last year. Aviles: Nice pick-up. He compliments this roster well. Nice .321 BA for the Sox. Nice insurance in case Scutty or Jed get hurt. Crawford: He's heating up and seems to be loosening up a bit. He's showing some caracter by not letting his troubles overwhelm him. Ellsbury: Blowing away even the highest expectations of anyone on this site. There's a long list of items to praise. I think many posters have covered them all. Keep going strong Jacoby! Reddick: Had a super hot streak that helped the team stay hot. Very nice "D", strong arm, and comes to play everyday. DMac: another slow starter who has bounced back and handled adversity well. He one of our hottest hitters of late and fill the RH'd OF well on offense. Papi: Papi is Papi. All around hitting, Youthful exuberance. .993 OPS! Seeing the clutch again is nice. Has been hotter than H3LL lately! Go Papi go! You will always be our #1 hero. Beckett: welcome back Josh- welcome back! He's clearly healthy. Clearly focused. If there weren't so many other pitchers doing so great, he'd be a CY Young winner. Poor run support has skewed his win total, but this guy is a winner. Lester: He's been steady and strong. Solid numbers. I'm feeling good about this guy come October. Bedard: Nice pick-up. Looking healthy and consistent. He could be the sleeper hero this fall. Lackey: Under the circumstances, he's held up pretty well. He's still young enough to turn it up and dominate again. I'm hoping it's this fall. Wakefield: Waht more can you ask from a 6th starter. 11-8 in his 19 starts. I've listed his numbers enough already. Those who choose not to respect what he has done for this team this year, should be a little more reflective. He's been a horse (3rd in IP/GS).  Miller: chose a good time to put together a nice staretch of games. His nasty stuff is hard to ignore. Let's hope his control holds up. Buch: gave us 14 nice starts. Let's hope he recovers. Papelbon: He's Papelbon again. Nice to see. Lights out. He welcomes October with that icey stare. Bard: Proving he is here to stay and pushing to be a closer.  2.03 ERA and a 0.806 WHIP is just plain awesome. Albers: carried us through some tough times with some great numbers for a long long stretch. What a pleasant surprise. Aceves: Easily the "10th Man" this year. He does it all. The Yanks must be kicking themselves hard (a nice thing). Wheeler: The injury came at a bad time, but he's back and ready to go at 'em.
    Posted by moonslav59

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Thanks Moon, and agreed except for tonight of course.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thats why I avoid the game thread. Too much judging over 1 AB or even one pitch.

(Plus, I often playback the games and fast forward the commercials and get to "real time" by the 8th or 9th inning).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Would like to add that I too hope Bard becomes our closer and that we have 3-4 starters who can give us 6-7 quality innings in the post season and that Yook comes back--we need his bat.  We also need a starter to step up and be that Derek Lowe of 2004 who really brought us to the promised land...it wasn't just Curt and his sutured ankle. 

Also, please remember that we enter Sept. with 83 w's--our 4th highest in history entering into the month, only bested by 1946 (91), 1912 (87) and 1978 (84).  Go sox!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Tons of Positives:
    Thats why I avoid the game thread. Too much judging over 1 AB or even one pitch. (Plus, I often playback the games and fast forward the commercials and get to "real time" by the 8th or 9th inning).
    Posted by moonslav59

Gonzalez, who's been clutch all season, isn't after one at bat. Aceves, who's the 10th man, maybe not after one shaky outing. Bard, the future closer, not so much, after giving up a go ahead hit. not sure some of them get it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

In Response to Re: Tons of Positives : judging is a nice way to put it. Gonzalez, who's been clutch all season, isn't after one at bat. Aceves, who's the 10th man, maybe not after one shaky outing. Bard, the future closer, not so much. not sure they get it.
    Posted by J-BAY

I agree, getting aceves from the nyy has been a real coup.  I am not bashing him or the pen.  I also like the power Els and pedey have shown and belive the red sox need to look at Els moving into a more Carl yaz type role..the kid is developing and i don't want our developing players to leave because we spent so much on veterans such as CC and AG

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Small sample sizes kill me. One game sample sizes are microscopic. Then you get the guys who bash a guy for taking one pitch or swinging at a ball in the dirt. Definitive judgements based on one swing!

Man, even a full season is often not enough time to make an informed judgement most of the times. 

There's a reason they play 162 games to pick the best 8 teams. 
    (yes, money is one, but...)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I too watch the replays. I pick up things. Tonight, AGONE completely came out of his game against MO. He swung at balls not at all close. One came damn near hitting him. He made MO's job easy.

Point is: and this goes beyond the numbers: succeeding in clutch situations requires keeping UR head. Extraordinary accomplishments reflect situational circumstance. If AGONE is AGONE, MO has to be pinpoint...or give-in.

I hope this is not an indication of how AGONE will react in October. PO's are all about pressure - and how players react to it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Even when players are in a groove, they sometimes swing at bad pitches. I just can not ever bring myself to even think one AB can be an "indication" of anything.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Crawford continues to be a negative. Had right OF move been made, the offense would not have a serious hole that keeps it from being what a massive budget should be getting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Even when players are in a groove, they sometimes swing at bad pitches. I just can not ever bring myself to even think one AB can be an "indication" of anything.
    Posted by moonslav59

What I saw wasn't about groove. It was about a player coming out of his game in a huge situation. That is a concern.

Salty, OTOH, is not in a good groove in that he's striking out quite a bit, which tells me he's not seeing the ball well. Or maybe it's hitting mechanics, but MO threw the inning's meatball to him: 93 MPH heat down the middle of smack city, and he threw it right by him.

Current form/ability to stay within one's game: These are telling in pressure-cookers. We are now into a September window...leading into October.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I started a thread once on this topic a while ago trying to get posters to say something positive, or, in some cases admit something positive about the team lol, but this thread blows my thread away. My thread was more "emotionally driven", while this thread is more "factually driven", which carries alot more weight. Well done, Moon, and thank you for posting it. I've copied it so I can read it whenever I feel the need. :)

I'll add a positive...this team who appeared at first to be so out of sync with each other, have now become a team that seems to genuinely care about each other, and work well together. I believe that will go a long way, especially in the post season when it's all on the line -- and the defense, IMO, has been outstanding. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Nice post Kim. The same message gets across, whether it's factually or emotionally motivated.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Nice post Kim. The same message gets across, whether it's factually or emotionally motivated.
    Posted by harness

Thanks, Harness. I do believe that Moon's thread was also somewhat driven by emotion after these games. I can't say that vice versa posting, in my case, would be true. I don't always have all the facts. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What I saw wasn't about groove. It was about a player coming out of his game in a huge situation. That is a concern

It was still just one AB. My point is that even if AGon was 4 for 4 at that point and then K'd, somebody somewhere would make a definitive judgement about AGon based on just one AB. No player should ever be judged on one AB, one pitch, one game, one week, or month (or even year for most players).

I can not see calling it "coming out of his game". The guy struck out in a big situation in early September. Even if he hadn't gotten on base in 3 of his previous 5 PAs last night and had K'd 5 times already, I wouldn't say that AB (or that game) was "indicative" of anything. AGon has come up big all year. He came up big last night by getting on base 3 of 6 times.

It's a long season. He will be fine come October.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Crawford continues to be a negative. Had right OF move been made, the offense would not have a serious hole that keeps it from being what a massive budget should be getting.
    Posted by S0ftl@w

You're just saying that because he is black.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

No, you are just saying that as a bugaboo, because you know Boston is a prejudiced town. Reggie Smith, not Yaz, was my favorite player. Ortiz is, now. Contrast that to "MVP candidate" with lower numbers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

No, you are just saying that as a bugaboo, because you know Boston is a prejudiced town. Reggie Smith, not Yaz, was my favorite player. Ortiz is, now. Contrast that to "MVP candidate" with lower numbers.
    Posted by S0ftl@w

Boston does carry its share of prejudices.  As most US cities do.  And, FWIW, Jim Rice was my favorite player, not Yaz or Lynn or Fisk.  But what does that have to do with anything?  And Ortiz is also my favorite Sox player.  But that also is irrelevant.  As for MVP, I agree, Ortiz should be mentioned in the same breath with Ellsbury, Gonzalez, and Pedroia.  None of them are going to win it.  But I love the fact that we have a club with 4 viable candidates.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

This has been a great season so far. The Sox have really topped themselves for drama, starting off so badly and then soaring into the stratosphere, all the while tangled in a classic battle with their arch-rivals. Couldn't ask for a more entertaining season. Winning sure is fun!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Moon,

When my older son was in Iraq the first time there were some real, fundamental issues of readiness and engagement, issues he had been taught to handle.  He's a black and white kind of guy.  They taught them safety protocols for a reason.  When he got in country, those protocols were being ignored.  Now mind you, he is green, just out of boot and AIT.  But he sees his soldiers being put in harm's way by the neglect of the safety protocols.  A team leader isn't doing his job and my son took control of more than one mission as the moment broke down dangerously.  He didn't care if it meant he was going to get brass knuckled later by the team leader or others at the FOB.  He was going to make sure his guys didn't die for stupid neglect.

Well, actually, he did care if it lfew back on him.  But in review, the base commanders supported him 100% and reassigned the team leader to another base literally on the other side of Iraq.  My son earned a bronze star and a four page commendation from the base commander.

We followed as closely as we could and knew his concern.  But after the review, he said, of the outcome, one word.  "Outstanding."

It was all he needed to say, with his heart totally expressed in his voice. 

That word has come to mean a great deal to me.    

He has served a 2nd tour and has been back safely for almost two years.  And was asked to write procedures for training and is helping in the training of his unit. He's doing much more, but I'll just say that when I think of something as remarkable and important, that word sometimes comes to mind.

Moon, with your usual deftness, you have captured the soul of the season.  You've outlined the pleasure that overcomes the angst, the enjoyment that saddles the pain, and the optimism that is both rich and real for the coming weeks of the season.

Outstanding.

Sections
Shortcuts