Tons of Positives

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Tons of Positives

Can we try to stay positive on just one thread?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I can't disagree with the notion of seeing the positives in this season which has been a very good one.  AGon was a great move, and even Crawford might not have been as bad as many claim.  Beckett's comeback, Ellsbury's too, etc, etc.  If Youk comes back in a groove and Buchholz is able to start in the playoffs (a long shot), these guys could do well in the 2011 postseason.

But.  It was a Yankees series at Fenway and a lot was on the line in the sense that these two teams once against have the best won-lost records in the AL and not being the wild card could have some advantages.  I agree completely the stupid games went way too long, but, when you're watching on TV there is still a lot of drama.  In game 1 it was that 3 run dinger off Lackey that killed us.  In game 2 Ellsbury got one to put the Sox ahead for good. 

And last night there were two huge moments--first the double off Bard giving the Yankees the lead, then Rivera striking out AGon (legitimately, let me hasten to add) with the tying runs on 2d and 3d and the winning run on 1st.  A single would have been huge. 

And we're not supposed to discuss those moments because it's been an otherwise terrific season for the Sox?  Baloney.  Now I have to be honest and admit that my reaction almost always is to say, "give the other team credit."  But this time I really think that.  Bard threw like 11 pitches, most of which got fouled off before that game-winning double to right center.  My gripe is that Salty went away from the slider which got the first two strikes, but I gotta admit that Yankees catcher hung in there.  

As for AGon, he was basically awful the whole series, so that final K was entirely appropriate.  It would have been surprising if had gotten a hit, especially against Rivera, who may be a little off this year but is still the greatest closer ever.  The Yankees had AGon's number this time, especially Sabathia in game one. This does not keep me from still believing he is the team MVP (no matter what softlaw says about Ortiz). 

[Ortiz, it should be noted, has the best OPS on the team and I think the 2d best in the AL, but he is still just a DH and in my mind the DH has to be absolutely spectacular to get MVP of anything.  Several years ago Ortiz was hitting a ton of homers and getting bunches of rbi's and was clearly neck and neck with ARod for AL MVP.  The Globe asked readers to write in about who should get it, and I said ARod, a player I do not like, because he not only played in the field every day, he played in one more game than Ortiz. Plus, of course, their numbers weren't far apart.  Right now AGon's numbers (runs, hits, rbi's, total bases, average) are better than Ortiz's, plus he plays a pretty good first base and plays more games.  Softlaw claiming this is all about race is nuts.]  

More on the series.  The Yankees needed to win it and did so with better pitching.  Sabathia outpiching Lackey was almost a surprise, but shouldn't have been.  Beckett got the win in game two only because of the hitting (9 runs)--the Yankees still hit him pretty good.  And last night Burnett astonished the known universe by getting the win over Lester.  Yes, the bullpen lost that game, not Lester, but our starter had that 44 pitch first inning and could only go 5 innings (while only giving up 1 run).  Lester has shown a ton of guts this season, but his control issues have limited his ability to pitch into the 7th or 8th inning.  But the biggest problem was that, except for Pedey's dinger, the Sox could not get to Burnett and absolutely not to the Yankees bullpen.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Tons of Positives:
    Moon,   When my older son was in Iraq the first time there were some real, fundamental issues of readiness and engagement, issues he had been taught to handle.  He's a black and white kind of guy.  They taught them safety protocols for a reason.  When he got in country, those protocols were being ignored.  Now mind you, he is green, just out of boot and AIT.  But he sees his soldiers being put in harm's way by the neglect of the safety protocols.  A team leader isn't doing his job and my son took control of more than one mission as the moment broke down dangerously.  He didn't care if it meant he was going to get brass knuckled later by the team leader or others at the FOB.  He was going to make sure his guys didn't die for stupid neglect.     Well, actually, he did care if it lfew back on him.  But in review, the base commanders supported him 100% and reassigned the team leader to another base literally on the other side of Iraq.  My son earned a bronze star and a four page commendation from the base commander.    We followed as closely as we could and knew his concern.  But after the review, he said, of the outcome, one word.  "Outstanding."    It was all he needed to say, with his heart totally expressed in his voice.     That word has come to mean a great deal to me.        He has served a 2nd tour and has been back safely for almost two years.  And was asked to write procedures for training and is helping in the training of his unit. He's doing much more, but I'll just say that when I think of something as remarkable and important, that word sometimes comes to mind.     Moon, with your usual deftness, you have captured the soul of the season.  You've outlined the pleasure that overcomes the angst, the enjoyment that saddles the pain, and the optimism that is both rich and real for the coming weeks of the season.   Outstanding.  
    Posted by SinceYaz

SinceYaz, your story touched my heart and soul. For you to honor me with such a nice compliment means a lot to me. Thanks.

I know people could call me a hypocrite. I have been negative on a few Sox players or certain areas of their game, but I felt the need to infuse some psoitive thinking back into this site. It was beginning to feel like April again. There weren't too many of us staying positive then. I hope more of us keep the faith this time.

Again, thanks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And last night there were two huge moments--first the double off Bard giving the Yankees the lead, then Rivera striking out AGon (legitimately, let me hasten to add) with the tying runs on 2d and 3d and the winning run on 1st.  A single would have been huge.  

And we're not supposed to discuss those moments because it's been an otherwise terrific season for the Sox?  Baloney.

I never meant to imply we can't be critical. I have been critical on the very issues you mentioned here. My goal was to try and have one thread for the positives. Lord know there are hundreds of threads for the negatives and critical commentary, some of mine included.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

IT'S TOUGH READING ALL THIS PROPAGANDA ABOUT HOW THE
    SOX WILL BE FINE IN OCTOBER. TRUTH IS....THEY WON'T !!!
    THEY JUST DON'T HAVE THE BATS. AT THE BOTTOM OF THE
    LINEUP YOU HAVE GUYS LIKE SCUTARO, MC DONALD, VTEK,
    SALTALAMACCHIA, CRAWFORD, AND LOWRIE. THESE GUYS
    SCARE NO ONE....LEAST OF ALL THE RANGERS OR YANKEES.
    YOUKILIS IS THROUGH !!! THERE ...I'VE SAID IT...HE'S THROUGH.
    AS A #4 HITTER, HE CAN'T HOLD A ROD'S SHOES. WHO CARES
    HOW HE FIELDS ! HIS BAT STINKS. JACOBY, DUSTIN, AGON,
    AND PAPI ARE THE ONLY 4 IN THIS LINEUP WHO CAN HIT.
    THE REMAINDER OF THE GUYS REALLY ARE MEDIOCRE, AND
    THIS INCLUDES CRAWFORD, WHO'S IS STRUGGLING TO HIT
    .250, IN A BALLPARK THAT KILLS LEFTY HITTERS, UNLESS
    THEY ARE THE SPLENDID SPLINTER, AND THAT CC IS NOT.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

SOX FANS NEED TO GET A DOSE OF REALITY. THE STARTING
    PITCHING IS JUST NOT THAT GOOD. BECKETT IS A REALLY GOOD
    ARM, BUT LESTER HAS BEEN SHAKY AND WITHOUT BUCHHOLZ IN
    THE ROTATION YOU HAVE A BUNCH OF STIFFS LIKE LACKEY,
    WAKE, MILLER, BEDARD, AND BOWDEN. HARDLY A STAFF THAT
    CAN INTIMIDATE ANYONE. TEXAS IS GONNA SWEEP THE SOX THIS
    SERIES AND THE YANKS WILL ENTER LABOR DAY WITH A 3 OR 4
    GAME CUSHION WHICH THEY WILL NOT RELINQUISH. THEY HAVE
    A MORE BALANCED, MORE POWERFUL LINEUP, AND BETTER
    ARMS UP FRONT AND IN THE PEN. BOTTOM LINE, WHEN THEY
    DONT SCORE, THEY ARE STILL IN EVERY GAME. TONITE THEY
    BEAT THE JAYS WHILE GETTING ONLY 4 HITS. THAT TELLS YOU
    SOMETHING RIGHT THERE. GOOD PITCHING CAME THROUGH.
    THE SOX PITCHERS STUNK AND THE HITTERS WERE AWFUL
    LOOK FOR MORE OF THE SAME THE NEXT THREE WEEKS.
    SORRY TO SAY IT, BUT WE WILL BE FIGHTING TAMPA FOR THAT
    WILD CARD. IT'S NOT A SURE THING EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE
    AN 8 OR 9 GAME LEAD ON THEM.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

There was one pitch to Russel Martin that Bard struck him out on and the home plate umpire called it a ball. Bad umpiring that whole game. The next pitch Martin hit for a double. I tought that the Red Sox were the recipent of most of the bad calls, including when Big Papi was hit by the pitch on his foot. Marquez missed that one too.

I can't disagree with the notion of seeing the positives in this season which has been a very good one.  AGon was a great move, and even Crawford might not have been as bad as many claim.  Beckett's comeback, Ellsbury's too, etc, etc.  If Youk comes back in a groove and Buchholz is able to start in the playoffs (a long shot), these guys could do well in the 2011 postseason. But.  It was a Yankees series at Fenway and a lot was on the line in the sense that these two teams once against have the best won-lost records in the AL and not being the wild card could have some advantages.  I agree completely the stupid games went way too long, but, when you're watching on TV there is still a lot of drama.  In game 1 it was that 3 run dinger off Lackey that killed us.  In game 2 Ellsbury got one to put the Sox ahead for good.  And last night there were two huge moments--first the double off Bard giving the Yankees the lead, then Rivera striking out AGon (legitimately, let me hasten to add) with the tying runs on 2d and 3d and the winning run on 1st.  A single would have been huge.  And we're not supposed to discuss those moments because it's been an otherwise terrific season for the Sox?  Baloney.  Now I have to be honest and admit that my reaction almost always is to say, "give the other team credit."  But this time I really think that.  Bard threw like 11 pitches, most of which got fouled off before that game-winning double to right center.  My gripe is that Salty went away from the slider which got the first two strikes, but I gotta admit that Yankees catcher hung in there.   As for AGon, he was basically awful the whole series, so that final K was entirely appropriate.  It would have been surprising if had gotten a hit, especially against Rivera, who may be a little off this year but is still the greatest closer ever.  The Yankees had AGon's number this time, especially Sabathia in game one. This does not keep me from still believing he is the team MVP (no matter what softlaw says about Ortiz).  [Ortiz, it should be noted, has the best OPS on the team and I think the 2d best in the AL, but he is still just a DH and in my mind the DH has to be absolutely spectacular to get MVP of anything.  Several years ago Ortiz was hitting a ton of homers and getting bunches of rbi's and was clearly neck and neck with ARod for AL MVP.  The Globe asked readers to write in about who should get it, and I said ARod, a player I do not like, because he not only played in the field every day, he played in one more game than Ortiz. Plus, of course, their numbers weren't far apart.  Right now AGon's numbers (runs, hits, rbi's, total bases, average) are better than Ortiz's, plus he plays a pretty good first base and plays more games.  Softlaw claiming this is all about race is nuts.]   More on the series.  The Yankees needed to win it and did so with better pitching.  Sabathia outpiching Lackey was almost a surprise, but shouldn't have been.  Beckett got the win in game two only because of the hitting (9 runs)--the Yankees still hit him pretty good.  And last night Burnett astonished the known universe by getting the win over Lester.  Yes, the bullpen lost that game, not Lester, but our starter had that 44 pitch first inning and could only go 5 innings (while only giving up 1 run).  Lester has shown a ton of guts this season, but his control issues have limited his ability to pitch into the 7th or 8th inning.  But the biggest problem was that, except for Pedey's dinger, the Sox could not get to Burnett and absolutely not to the Yankees bullpen.         
    Posted by maxbialystock

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Well, Wake looked good tonight. I still say he'll get more starts.
    That post by S.Y. was phenomenal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-dude. Show The-dude's posts

Sox have 2nd/3rd best winning percentage in all of MLB. Got to love that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Stay positive. This is the same team that everyone was drooling over just weeks ago.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Big Game today. They need this one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Completely agree about today.  They are all big now. 

Peter Abraham claims that losing Thursday was a big letdown and that last night Miller's horrible start was very deflating.  I agree.

So it would be nice to get that early lead today. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Tons of Positives : SinceYaz, your story touched my heart and soul. For you to honor me with such a nice compliment means a lot to me. Thanks.
    I know people could call me a hypocrite. I have been negative on a few Sox players or certain areas of their game, but I felt the need to infuse some psoitive thinking back into this site. It was beginning to feel like April again. There weren't too many of us staying positive then. I hope more of us keep the faith this time. Again, thanks.
    Posted by moonslav59

I am most glad to share and to compliment.  It seems a lost art, when given in truth. (For many years, for instance, at funerals, all of a sudden the meanest grinch or snottiest woman became "the finest person I ever knew, etc. etc.")  Your posts are most often thoughtful and supported by a decent background.   

I don't think you've been hypocritical.  That is where some get me wrong.  It is perfectly fine to point out those areas you're talking about.  I don't most of the time because so many go off so much that it's tiresome.  If I pointed out that the NYYs seem to have found a weak spot in Adrian's swing, down and away, that isn't jumping on him.  It's the observation I made while he was facing CC.

And you're right.  Instead of being glad where we are, the "naybobs of negativity" are gaining voice.  (Harness, how do you like that Ballymore-ish reference?  Ha! )  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

I tried to find Red Sox+negativity, it has never been in my thought process or language! Hard as I tried, I could only find it in one place, here on this forum, but not on this thread! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Well, Wake looked good tonight. I still say he'll get more starts. That post by S.Y. was phenomenal.
    Posted by harness

Yeah I guess WAKE  made the case for being a long reliever ina meaningless blowout... thanks for reminding us.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I tried to find Red Sox+negativity, it has never been in my thought process or language! Hard as I tried, I could only find it in one place, here on this forum, but not on this thread! 
    Posted by promise4you

Promise, as long as you keep lookin' through those cool shades withyour head turned ever so upward, you're gonna see the positive!

I have to say I smile everytime I see your pic of El Tiante.  The man, the shades, the 'stache, the memories ... all roll into one big smile!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

What I saw wasn't about groove. It was about a player coming out of his game in a huge situation. That is a concern It was still just one AB. My point is that even if AGon was 4 for 4 at that point and then K'd, somebody somewhere would make a definitive judgement about AGon based on just one AB. No player should ever be judged on one AB, one pitch, one game, one week, or month (or even year for most players). I can not see calling it "coming out of his game". The guy struck out in a big situation in early September. Even if he hadn't gotten on base in 3 of his previous 5 PAs last night and had K'd 5 times already, I wouldn't say that AB (or that game) was "indicative" of anything. AGon has come up big all year. He came up big last night by getting on base 3 of 6 times. It's a long season. He will be fine come October.
    Posted by moonslav59

This reminds me somewhat of the Beltran called punch out to end the '06 NLCS; Mets fans still haven't forgiven him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Moon,   When my older son was in Iraq the first time there were some real, fundamental issues of readiness and engagement, issues he had been taught to handle.  He's a black and white kind of guy.  They taught them safety protocols for a reason.  When he got in country, those protocols were being ignored.  Now mind you, he is green, just out of boot and AIT.  But he sees his soldiers being put in harm's way by the neglect of the safety protocols.  A team leader isn't doing his job and my son took control of more than one mission as the moment broke down dangerously.  He didn't care if it meant he was going to get brass knuckled later by the team leader or others at the FOB.  He was going to make sure his guys didn't die for stupid neglect.     Well, actually, he did care if it lfew back on him.  But in review, the base commanders supported him 100% and reassigned the team leader to another base literally on the other side of Iraq.  My son earned a bronze star and a four page commendation from the base commander.    We followed as closely as we could and knew his concern.  But after the review, he said, of the outcome, one word.  "Outstanding."    It was all he needed to say, with his heart totally expressed in his voice.     That word has come to mean a great deal to me.        He has served a 2nd tour and has been back safely for almost two years.  And was asked to write procedures for training and is helping in the training of his unit. He's doing much more, but I'll just say that when I think of something as remarkable and important, that word sometimes comes to mind.     Moon, with your usual deftness, you have captured the soul of the season.  You've outlined the pleasure that overcomes the angst, the enjoyment that saddles the pain, and the optimism that is both rich and real for the coming weeks of the season.   Outstanding.  
    Posted by SinceYaz

Great post, SY, and kudos to your son; I'm sure you're proud of him, and even I am.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Posted by SinceYaz

Not for nothing, but your post destroyed Moon's very well thought out post.  Tell your son thanks.  I hope he stays in the military, if that's his choice, to help train the next generation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Thats why I avoid the game thread. Too much judging over 1 AB or even one pitch. (Plus, I often playback the games and fast forward the commercials and get to "real time" by the 8th or 9th inning).
    Posted by moonslav59

I usually only go in when we win, just for the comraderie.  Otherwise, getting too high or low is nuts.  As I've said a whole lot of times, you're enver as good as when you're winning, and never as bad as when you're losing.  We just outscored these guys 30-7.  Just as with us killing the NYY, these things usually even out.

Some people just need to stop watching if they are going to the Tobin every time we lose a game, and call up for WS tix every time we win.  For all the ups and downs, it is still basically April 1st.  On April 1st, we figured to be about tied with the NYY.  Guess what, we're still about tied.  We were a heavy favorite to make the playoffs, and we are an even heavier favorite.  The playoffs figured to be a crapshoot, and that has not changed either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Great thread Moon

Too much negative blather still being ranted about here, although we know for some its just their m.o. and job to ruin threads and trash the Sox, not be positive fans with anything useful to contribute.

I am more than happy with what we got out of almost everyone this year. Beyond happy with Papi, Ells, Beckett and Paps. Lester, AGon and Pedroia are of course our 3 best players... but they are doing what was expected of them.

The 5 'failures' in my mind all have injuries as a major contributor:

1. Drew
    2. Craw
    3. Jenks
    4. Buch
    5. Youk

Really had we gotten the 2009 performances from Drew, Jenks and Youk and 2010 performances from Buch and any of the last 7 years of Crawford... we'd be a dozen games ahead right now and a 110+ win team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

True, but it's hard to expect not a single player to regress from the previous season. Injuries, age, whatever: it happens. There are so many more exceeds expectations this year and positives to consider. I expect we might see a few more before the season is over.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from <->TheBabe<->. Show <->TheBabe<->'s posts

Great thread Moon Too much negative blather still being ranted about here, although we know for some its just their m.o. and job to ruin threads and trash the Sox, not be positive fans with anything useful to contribute. I am more than happy with what we got out of almost everyone this year. Beyond happy with Papi, Ells, Beckett and Paps. Lester, AGon and Pedroia are of course our 3 best players... but they are doing what was expected of them. The 5 'failures' in my mind all have injuries as a major contributor: 1. Drew 2. Craw 3. Jenks 4. Buch 5. Youk Really had we gotten the 2009 performances from Drew, Jenks and Youk and 2010 performances from Buch and any of the last 7 years of Crawford... we'd be a dozen games ahead right now and a 110+ win team.

Posted by rameakap

What's crawful's injury....a bruised ego?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

True, but it's hard to expect not a single player to regress from the previous season. Injuries, age, whatever: it happens. There are so many more exceeds expectations this year and positives to consider. I expect we might see a few more before the season is over.
    Posted by moonslav59

Another thing that not all understand.  I think we're playing about as we should, but for every player like Ellsbury who has gone nuts, they'll be a player like CC who craps out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Tons of Positives : What's crawful's injury....a bruised ego?
    Posted by <- />TheBabe<->

ummm... what rock were you under when crawford missed like 30 games and was out mid-June to mid-July with a hamstring injury?

I see you failed to say 'what is Youk's injury' b/c he is obviously out RIGHT NOW... but he's played in more games than Crawford this year....

Sections
Shortcuts