Too late to sign Tito to be our next manager

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Too late to sign Tito to be our next manager

common now. I like the Indians and Tito.. if they win a WS then great!~ He was done here and most of anything negative I said about him since 2010 came to fruition (wrong choice of word?) .... I love baseball and so long as the Sox can fairly win a WS once every ten years (not easy to do obviously) then I love to see franchises like Cleveland, Detroit, and the Giants win a few to.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And, if Tito gets the Indians to win, what will the Tito bashers say?

If they lose and lose, will the Tito lovers say anything?

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately Moon, too many folks think it's that cut and dried.

Will there be an effort by the GM to improve the team?

Will Francona make the correct on-field decisions, based on the personell?

Will there be a ton of injuries?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Best wishes to Francona.

He was a very good manager for us, both on the field and off.  I don't understand all the contempt for him.

[/QUOTE]

Red Sox are notoriously self-hating.  Many long for the old days.  Many prefer 69 wins under BV rather than 93 under Tito.  Too much pressure playing for the playoffs than playing for better draft picks.  Tito's 2 WSC ruined the olde pity party.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bisson1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Alomar, come to Boston.

[/QUOTE]

FrancoMa is a one trick pony----play for the big inning and lead the league in hitting into double plays.  If he plays that kind of game in Cleveland with that kind of team, well in three years he will have failed as miserably as he did in Philadelphia and in his last four years in Boston.  He had better alter his game radically because his new team needs to depend on speed, small ball, moving the runners and using the hit and run more than one a month.  I do not wish him ill but I think he is going to fail there because that team needs a good bench managers and Tito is a clubhouse man, not a strategist.  Not even close to a good one.

[/QUOTE]

1-Tito has never led the league in GDP.  I have no idea where you got that idea from.

2-Typically, the higher your OBP is, the higher your GDP.  I hope that doesn't need to be explained.

3-MN has led the league in GDP 3x while Tito was in Boston.  I hope this doesn't mean Gardenhire is now a bad manager.

4-Playing for the big inning is something that a guy named Weaver use to do.  I heard some people thought he was a good manager.

5-A little side bet for charity on whether or not CL improves next year?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

4-Playing for the big inning is something that a guy named Weaver use to do.  I heard some people thought he was a good manager.

Very good point, Joe.  Weaver also said something like 'the job of the manager is to get out of the way of the players'.  In a few key respects Francona followed the philosophy of Weaver.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]

Best wishes to Francona.

He was a very good manager for us, both on the field and off.  I don't understand all the contempt for him.

[/QUOTE]

In all honesty, some people just aren't very bright. They came aboard in 2004 and think the Red Sox always win the World Series.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Clev is instantly better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Winning or losing in Cleveland will have less to do with Francona's ability (or lack thereof) as a manager and more to do with the level of talent possessed by the players he is given to manage. Same as with Valentine in Boston this year.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

.651 isn't that close to .785, not that a 30+ game sample size means anything.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Winning or losing in Cleveland will have less to do with Francona's ability (or lack thereof) as a manager and more to do with the level of talent possessed by the players he is given to manage. Same as with Valentine in Boston this year.

[/QUOTE]

For a manager, the judgement is how much you improve the team, or make it worse.

I'm willing to bet either money or a tag bet that CL's record improves.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Best wishes to Francona.

[/QUOTE]

I guess it's because he didn't give away free outs to the other team by bunting all the time, and apparently some of the posters on this board sat in the bullpen during games so they knew which relievers were available at all times.  They also had the matchup history of every opposing player against every Sox pitcher and they referred to it throughout every game (like Tito and his staff did). Mike Scosiscia is highly regarded on this board because he plays small ball more often, yet he only has half as many Championships as Tito in a longer period of time with similar payroll and arguably better talent.  Tito is a highly regarded manager throughout baseball, but a lot of fans just don't get it. 

[/QUOTE]

Sure. That's why he sat out a year with no offers, and ended up with Cleveland next year. 

If he was highly regarded, why never a MOY?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Best wishes to Francona.

[/QUOTE]

Red Sox are notoriously self-hating.  Many long for the old days.  Many prefer 69 wins under BV rather than 93 under Tito.  Too much pressure playing for the playoffs than playing for better draft picks.  Tito's 2 WSC ruined the olde pity party.

[/QUOTE]

Francona took the reins of a team that was already championship caliber, missing the WS by a whisker in '03. He did nothing to make the better except show up for the games. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Alomar, come to Boston.

[/QUOTE]

FrancoMa is a one trick pony----play for the big inning and lead the league in hitting into double plays.  If he plays that kind of game in Cleveland with that kind of team, well in three years he will have failed as miserably as he did in Philadelphia and in his last four years in Boston.  He had better alter his game radically because his new team needs to depend on speed, small ball, moving the runners and using the hit and run more than one a month.  I do not wish him ill but I think he is going to fail there because that team needs a good bench managers and Tito is a clubhouse man, not a strategist.  Not even close to a good one.

[/QUOTE]

Now that you've announced he'll fail, you'll be wishing nothing but ill-will for the guy.

We know how it works, Fred.

[/QUOTE]

is he supposed to like him? maybe he thought francona was a bad manager....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Francona took the reins of a team that was already championship caliber, missing the WS by a whisker in '03. He did nothing to make the better except show up for the games. 

Sure, I agree, bad teams don't win the WS too often.  Bu he still won it twice, and averaged 93 wins over 8 years with us.

A friendly tag bet on whether or not the Indians improve next year?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Alomar, come to Boston.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now that you've announced he'll fail, you'll be wishing nothing but ill-will for the guy.

We know how it works, Fred.

[/QUOTE]

is he supposed to like him? maybe he thought francona was a bad manager....

[/QUOTE]

Right, bad managers rack up the wins like Francona did for 8 years, all the time...

The poster boy for bad managers got fired from the Sox last week.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Right, bad managers rack up the wins like Francona did for 8 years, all the time...

Not in this forum.  93 wins a year?  How can accept that????  69 wins?  Ahhh, it's about time we had a good manager.

Seriously, they loved the guy because he banned beer.  They could've hired me, and I could've banned beer, and had them serve nothing but brussel sprouts, and the same posters that loved BV, would've loved me.

OTOH, if they hired me, and I threw toga parties after each victory, they'd have hated me, even if I won 93 games.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

Not in this forum.  93 wins a year?  How can accept that????  69 wins?  Ahhh, it's about time we had a good manager.

Seriously, they loved the guy because he banned beer.  They could've hired me, and I could've banned beer, and had them serve nothing but brussel sprouts, and the same posters that loved BV, would've loved me.

OTOH, if they hired me, and I threw toga parties after each victory, they'd have hated me, even if I won 93 games.

[/QUOTE]
    Winning obviously isn' t everything, Joe!

It doesn't matter if the Sox win, as long as they behave themselves!

Personally, I love the "We could've won 110 games if Francona wasn't a bad manager.

BV is better" posts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The funniest thing to me was that some of the guys who said Francona was costing us 10 games a year were also saying Epstein was a lousy GM.  That was priceless.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The funniest thing to me was that some of the guys who said Francona was costing us 10 games a year were also saying Epstein was a lousy GM.  That was priceless.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly! LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly! LOL

[/QUOTE]

That was funny that they never saw the inconsistency.

The same people, and there were more than one, said that Tito blew like 15 by the end of August 2007.  Which means that they thought the team was so good, that they should've been a .750 team.

That, of course, is ridiculous even for the best teams in history.

But even more funny is that they thought that Theo put together a bad team.

It got to the point, with just a little stretch of the imagination, they were on the border of say,

'If only we had a good GM, and good manager, and an owner that wasn't a cheapskate, they could've gone 162-0.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

wow, folks still crying about Francona's firing...get a grip he's history...maybe you can go cry in your beer with Pedroia about "losing" him to Cleveland

Sections
Shortcuts