Too much like last year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

Too much like last year?

One of the most frustrating aspects of the Sox last year (maybe last two years, can't remember) was their penchant for piling on for a few games, only to go virtually moribund for some number of consecutive games after that, which essentially meant that they seemed to be scoring lots of runs but were only playing around .500 baseball for significant stretches. Yesterday's game reminded me of that. Hope it's not a repeat performance this year. Anybody else concerned about that?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Re: Too much like last year?

In Response to Too much like last year?:
    [QUOTE]One of the most frustrating aspects of the Sox last year (maybe last two years, can't remember) was their penchant for piling on for a few games, only to go virtually moribund for some number of consecutive games after that, which essentially meant that they seemed to be scoring lots of runs but were only playing around .500 baseball for significant stretches. Yesterday's game reminded me of that. Hope it's not a repeat performance this year. Anybody else concerned about that?
    Posted by pschuller[/QUOTE]
    Good point schuller.  It would be nice to manufacture a few tight wins when needed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

WHAT IS GOING TO BRING DOWN THIS TEAM IS THE UNHOLY
    FIVE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LINEUP. MC DONALD, PUNTO,
    AVILES, SHOPPACH, SALTALAMACCHIA....IN ONE COMBO OR
    ANOTHER. THESE GUYS ALL JUST PLAIN STINK. THE BIGGEST
    CULPRIT IS SALTALAMACCHIA. THE GUY JUST CAN'T HIT.
    HE BATS CLOSE TO .200, HAS A LONG SWING AND IS NOT
    EVEN AS GOOD AS VARITEK AT THE PLATE. HECK...WE CAN
    BRING BACK MIRABELLI TO DO WHAT SALTY'S DOING. YOU
    NEED A CATCHER TO MAKE CONTACT ONCE IN A WHILE AND
    GET THOSE SINGLES AND DOUBLES THAT KEEP RALLIES
    GOING. SALTY IS A RALLY KILLER !! MCDONALD SHOULD BE
    SENT DOWN. SHOPPACH IS OK, FOR WHAT HIS ROLE IS, BUT
    THAT'S AS FAR AS IT GOES. AVILES HAS NO PLATE DISCIPLINE,
    AND FOR THE LIFE OF ME, I DON'T KNOW WHY PUNTO HAS
    A JOB IN MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL. YES,...MAYBE HE BELONGS
    ON SAN DIEGO, OAKLAND OR HOUSTON, BUT NOT ON THE SOX.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

nice ...not to hear constant bickering on this team also

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Too much like last year?:
    [QUOTE]One of the most frustrating aspects of the Sox last year (maybe last two years, can't remember) was their penchant for piling on for a few games, only to go virtually moribund for some number of consecutive games after that, which essentially meant that they seemed to be scoring lots of runs but were only playing around .500 baseball for significant stretches. Yesterday's game reminded me of that. Hope it's not a repeat performance this year. Anybody else concerned about that?
    Posted by pschuller[/QUOTE]

No, because I don't remember that happening and can find no evidence of it happening.

What I saw was an horrific start (2-10) and nearly as bad a finish (7-20).  In between they were a spectacular 81-42.  In addition, from 15 April through 6 September they lost 3 or more games in a row only three times (3, 3, and 4).

I cannot understand why you think what you do;  please explain.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Re: Too much like last year?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Too much like last year? : No, because I don't remember that happening and can find no evidence of it happening. What I saw was an horrific start (2-10) and nearly as bad a finish (7-20).  In between they were a spectacular 81-42.  In addition, from 15 April through 6 September they lost 3 or more games in a row only three times (3, 3, and 4).  I cannot understand why you think what you do;  please explain.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Don't have the stats, but I am pretty sure they went hot and cold a lot last year in terms of run production. I found that frustrating, but it could be just me.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

That probably happens somewhat to all teams. You just notice it more when it is your team , and you follow them every day.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

A few posters have mentioned that over the past few months.  Others have done analyses showing the Sox' offense was slightly more inconsistent that the other two powerhouses, TEX & NYY, but it was pretty marginal.  I suspect it's the few really high-scoring Sox games that played games with perception.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Re: Too much like last year?:
    [QUOTE]A few posters have mentioned that over the past few months.  Others have done analyses showing the Sox' offense was slightly more inconsistent that the other two powerhouses, TEX & NYY, but it was pretty marginal.  I suspect it's the few really high-scoring Sox games that played games with perception.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I appreciate the informative and thoughtful post, unlike some others.

Sections
Shortcuts