Top 10 prospects in Sox system

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Top 10 prospects in Sox system

In Response to Re: Top 10 prospects in Sox system:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 prospects in Sox system : The Red Sox had a remarkable streak when Kevin Youkilis, Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz and Jonathan Papelbon came up through the system. The streak probably was the product of: 1. excellent scouting, and 2. luck It's hard to control the second factor.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I know.  It just sounded like the guy I was responding to just wanted to bash the RS for no reason, and too lazy to find a reason.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There's a lot of that going around, Joe.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

"Jose Iglesias, who turns 22 in January, is the oldest of the top six shortstop prospects in this ranking from MLB.com:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2011/

Iglesias is older now than Elvis Andrus was when Texas shortstop finished second in the 2009 AL Rookie of the Year voting. Iglesias is a couple of months older than Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro, who played in this year's All Star Game after finishing fifth in last year's NL Rookie of the Year voting.

With their traditional heavy-hitting lineup, the Red Sox can afford a good-glove, light-hitting shortstop. I just hope Iglesias' glove is as good as touted. "

The Sox had a $6mill commitment to a veteran shortstop.  That probably contributed more to Igesias' stay in the minors than anything Jose did...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 prospects in Sox system : Why?  We've developed a ton of prospects recently.  Why do you think they are suddenly overrated?
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Why do people suddenly think georom is a scout?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 prospects in Sox system : The Red Sox had a remarkable streak when Kevin Youkilis, Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz and Jonathan Papelbon came up through the system. The streak probably was the product of: 1. excellent scouting, and 2. luck It's hard to control the second factor.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

You can also add Hanley Ramirez, Justin Masterson, Anthony Rizzo and Casey Kelly.

They had some bad luck, too.  The Sox drafted but did not sign Matt LaPorta, Brandon Belt and Pedro Alvarez...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and Anebel Sanchez, Navarro, and the kids we gave up for Bedard.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

And Westmoreland would have been penciled into the 2012/2013 lineup if he had not gotten hurt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Heh, I'd still take Tampa's farm system the past few years and with all the recent draft picks they have gotten this could continue.

Moon, I think Middlebrooks is a solid prospect. I just wouldn't put him #1. He does look the part. I just haven't seen anywhere near the numbers that guys like Lavarnway have been putting up. Middlebrooks has a solid arm and is a good defender. That's his advantage but are 2 above average tools better than one tremendous tool and the possibility of becoming average in the other? Lavarnway is potentially an all star catcher. Is Middlebrooks potentially an all star 3rd baseman? Both are possibilities but the later is less likely IMO.

The guy everyone is raving about is Bogaerts. Some people have projected him with HOF potential. It will be intriguing to see how he does going forward. I'm still looking at guys like Coyle, Cechinni and Swihart as our best shot at developing the next star.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

cmon guys, this list is underwhelming...the fact that we developed pedey/ells/bard/paps doesnt make this list of prospects a great thing...we have seena lot of these guys play already and they are decent at best

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Considering where the Sox draft from every year (LATE) i think they have done a wonderful job with their minor league system. I wonder where we would be if we had the Rays draft picks every year for the last ten years? Of course you would have to have a crappy team for several years to get those type of draft picks. I am sure that would go over well with the maniac fans!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from saintJ. Show saintJ's posts

[QUOTE]cmon guys, this list is underwhelming...the fact that we developed pedey/ells/bard/paps doesnt make this list of prospects a great thing...we have seena lot of these guys play already and they are decent at best
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Dustin, Lester and Paps are on the fast track to the hall of fame, not to mention Hanley Ramirez. Ells, Bard, Youk are all stars.  Just how many more great players do the sox have to develop for you to be happy?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Considering where the Sox draft from every year (LATE) i think they have done a wonderful job with their minor league system. I wonder where we would be if we had the Rays draft picks every year for the last ten years? Of course you would have to have a crappy team for several years to get those type of draft picks. I am sure that would go over well with the maniac fans!
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]
    The Rays had one higher pick in each round, but the Red Sox used their financial clout to amass two or three times as many first- and second-round picks.

Given the uncertainty of draft picks, some might choose Boston's quantity of high draft picks over Tampa Bay's quality of picks. The Red Sox were able to spread their risk over more draft picks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Hill, in the last 10 years the sox have had 24 #1 or #1S picks Tampa Bay has had 21 #1 or #1S picks. While the Sox have 3 more of those #1 or #1S their best postion ever was at draft position #19 or above, in the same time frame the Rays have had 9 picks at #8 or better and 7 picks at the #40 spot or better.Not sure where you got the Sox had 2-3 times more #1 picks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Both Hill and Promise have a point IMO. The Sox have clearly used overslot signings to an extreme and generated a lot of results from that. The Rays even had several #1 and 2 type picks to enable them to sign mega prospects like Price, Beckham ( who may never make it ) and others. To have the top pick in all of mlb gave them the opportunity to sign a guy like Price, which the Redsox basically never get. And no, Ranaudo is not Price.

The Rays have done a tremendous job drafting and developing in the past 10 years. Watch out for the Angels going forward also.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Hill, in the last 10 years the sox have had 24 #1 or #1S picks Tampa Bay has had 21 #1 or #1S picks. While the Sox have 3 more of those #1 or #1S their best postion ever was at draft position #19 or above, in the same time frame the Rays have had 9 picks at #8 or better and 7 picks at the #40 spot or better.Not sure where you got the Sox had 2-3 times more #1 picks.
    Nearly half (10) of your cited 21 Tampa Bay draft picks over the past 10 years came in the bountiful 2011 draft and another three came in the 2010 draft. Before 2010, the Rays had never had more than one pick in the first/compensation rounds. The Red Sox had more first- and compensatory-round picks in 2005 and 2006 (9) than the Rays had in the eight drafts 2002-09 (8).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 prospects in Sox system : Nearly half (10) of your cited 21 Tampa Bay draft picks over the past 10 years came in the bountiful 2011 draft and another three came in the 2010 draft. Before 2010, the Rays had never had more than one pick in the first/compensation rounds. The Red Sox had more first- and compensatory-round picks in 2005 and 2006 (9) than the Rays had in the eight drafts 2002-09 (8).
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]
    That's because the Sox let more type A FA go right. The advantage the Rays did have in that period was that they had a lot of top 10 picks, including a couple #1 or 2 slots if I remember correctly. Price was a #1 overall selection if I remember correctly. Beckham was also, or certainly one of the top 2 or 3.

Hill, I agree that the Redsox milked the system and that helped their drafting. They also had more money to spend on development. Overall they have done well though and in some ways their farm has been underated IMO. Every team trumps up their farm. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Rays caught up this year with a lot of supplemental picks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 prospects in Sox system : Nearly half (10) of your cited 21 Tampa Bay draft picks over the past 10 years came in the bountiful 2011 draft and another three came in the 2010 draft. Before 2010, the Rays had never had more than one pick in the first/compensation rounds. The Red Sox had more first- and compensatory-round picks in 2005 and 2006 (9) than the Rays had in the eight drafts 2002-09 (8).
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

So you would rather pick at 30 than 8? I cannot deal with idiots! Don't like it join the Yanks fans! You obviously don't understand the difference between top 10 picks and top 30 picks! Let me try to put it to you another way, you have a number 8 stock making big money, or a number 30 stock making soso money. Which would you take? Im sure you DON"T HAVE A CLUE!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 prospects in Sox system : So you would rather pick at 30 than 8? I cannot deal with idiots! Don't like it join the Yanks fans! You obviously don't understand the difference between top 10 picks and top 30 picks! Let me try to put it to you another way, you have a number 8 stock making big money, or a number 30 stock making soso money. Which would you take? Im sure you DON"T HAVE A CLUE!
    Relax.

In 2005, I would prefer Boston's No. 23, No. 26, No. 42, No. 45 and No. 47 picks (Jacoby Ellsbury, Craig Hansen, Clay Buchholz, Jed Lowrie and Michael Bowden) to Tampa Bay's No. 8 pick (Wade Townsend).

I would always prefer a single No. 8 pick over a single No. 26 pick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 prospects in Sox system : Relax. In 2005, I would prefer Boston's No. 23, No. 26, No. 42, No. 45 and No. 47 picks (Jacoby Ellsbury, Craig Hansen, Clay Buchholz, Jed Lowrie and Michael Bowden) to Tampa Bay's No. 8 pick (Wade Townsend).
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

But could you live with Wade Townsend, in the previous years, you drafted Josh Hamilton, Rocco Baldelli, BJ Upton, Delmon Young, ans Jeff Nieman?  And if your next 2 drafts were Evan Longoria and David Price?

Let's not pretend that Townsend is anything but the odd name on that list...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 prospects in Sox system : But could you live with Wade Townsend, in the previous years, you drafted Josh Hamilton, Rocco Baldelli, BJ Upton, Delmon Young, ans Jeff Nieman?  And if your next 2 drafts were Evan Longoria and David Price? Let's not pretend that Townsend is anything but the odd name on that list...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    Substitute Josh Hamilton, Rocco Baldelli, B.J. Upton, Delmon Young or Jeff Niemann for Wade Townsend and I would still take Boston's five high draft picks.

My point was that one doesn't see the full picture if one considers only that Tampa Bay's first pick typically was significantly higher than Boston's first pick.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Any chance a prospect might be able to replace the great Tim Wakefield, in about 10 years?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOX4567. Show SOX4567's posts

I don't comment a lot, but I have been reading these boards for some time now, and this is one of the best posts I've read.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 prospects in Sox system : But could you live with Wade Townsend, in the previous years, you drafted Josh Hamilton, Rocco Baldelli, BJ Upton, Delmon Young, ans Jeff Nieman?  And if your next 2 drafts were Evan Longoria and David Price? Let's not pretend that Townsend is anything but the odd name on that list...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

That's right. Many teams have squandered their top 3 to 5 in the draft picks. Why isn't KC and Pittsburgh making the playoffs after so many dreadful seasons and high draft picks?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Hill has a point, as does Promise of course. To a large degree, teams like the Redsox, Yankees and Detroit ( among others ) have made a living from overslot signings. They had the money to spend and they used it to get great talent from the draft. Even while being at a disadvantage from their slot in the first round. 

For example, Delmon Young was a very high pick right. Maybe even a #1 but I can't remember for sure. Anyway, the Redsox got Ellsbury, Buchholz and Lowrie one year, all with lower picks. Often that #29 pick is every bit as good or better than that year's #1. Delmon Young looked like a mega stud. He turned out to be a solid player but everyone picked him to be an all star level talent in the draft. It is in many ways more of a numbers game though. Having that #1 pick doesn't always result in a great draft. The ability to do overslot signings is huge.

Recently, with revenue sharing and luxury tax revenues, small market teams like Pittsburgh, Washington and KC and TB ( by the way ) have spent big money on the draft. This will soon have a huge impact on those markets, and maybe even allow them to compete long term. It was a smart decision to do overslots and other teams have been doing it recently. And teams like Pittsburgh and Washington are now willing to spend the big bucks to land top draft talent. It will change the dynamic of the game for the better. It will help mlb, but probably make it more difficult for teams like the Redsox to dominate long term.

Fortunately, we've been stocking up on picks recently and I think done a great job in the last 2 drafts. We are set for the next 4-5 years in having sufficient talent to keep the mlb team well stocked. But so have the Angels and TB.

Sections
Shortcuts