Top 5 for MVP. Your pick?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Top 5 for MVP. Your pick?

Player    H      R    2B    3B    HR    RBI    SB    AVG    OBP    SLG    OPS
    A         210   118  46     5     31    103    38    .323    .378   .552   .931
    B         152   135  26    10    41    119    24    .264    .366   .557   .923
    C         153   105  24     2    43     103     9     .302   .448    .613  1.061
    D         193   108  46     0    29     104     2    .343    .448    .579  1.027
    E         211   107  45     3    27     117     1    .338    .407    .549   .955

Any one of these 5 have a case. 

A&B have more speed, B and C have more power, They all have good OPS, but C and D are a step up, due to their OBP, C, D, and E have no speed, B and C are not doubles hitters...A is pretty balanced with 30, 30, 100, 100 with good average and OPS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Re: Top 5 for MVP. Your pick?

A

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Of those picks, I would like Player A. However, with the voters, he will lose points if his team does not make the playoffs. Ditto Player C.

I like Player F: Player F: 24-5, 2.40 ERA, 251 IP, 250 KS, 57 BB, 4 CG, 0.920 WHIP.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

All good choices although I think there is an F out there who should be listed as well.

Ells has had an amazing year and should get strong consideration. But if the Sox don't make the post season, Ells will be penalized by voters for this even though he did all he could to carry them to the playoffs.

Grandy as hit a slump and will take votes from him.

Bautista and Cabrera are both wrothy candidates.

Gonzalez has not shown up these past two weeks and that will play against him.

And I will add Cano to this list.

This will be a very close vote as there is no clear cut winner.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from highflysox. Show highflysox's posts

V   E   R   L   A   N   D   E   R

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Top 5 for MVP. Your pick?:
    [QUOTE]Of those picks, I would like Player A. However, with the voters, he will lose points if his team does not make the playoffs. Ditto Player C. I like Player F: Player F: 24-5, 2.40 ERA, 251 IP, 250 KS, 57 BB, 4 CG, 0.920 WHIP.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]man, i would have missed that WHIP....if i didn't just happen to be holding a pair of binoculars...Tongue out...that's just criminal...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I think canidate A should win.
    If not him,I'm a member of the player F-Troop too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

I wish I could say A.
    I've been thinking B for the last few months, the runs scored are just out of this world, low average but OBP makes up for it.  Although Ks hurt his/her case a bit.
    C looks pretty good too, can tell Rs suffered from he/she being pitched around a lot

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I don't think B can beat out A, just based on 60 hits.  The OBP is close but you don't go 1st to 3rd or score from second on a walk.  Maybe I care too much about average here in the stat geek era but .323 vs. .264, cmon.

E has not been seen much in AUG/SEPT, that is not MVP behavior. 

I'd go A then F.  I'd probably go straight F but I'm still bitter about the loser from NY not putting Pedro in his top 10 in '99, thus costing Pedro the MVP.  To me, if Pedro '99 is not an MVP caliber season from a pitcher, than nothing is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

F for Verlander if not him then A for Ellsbury but it's hard to give a guy the mvp when your team doesnt make the playoffs

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]F for Verlander if not him then A for Ellsbury but it's hard to give a guy the mvp when your team doesnt make the playoffs
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]

There is way more precedent for a guy getting it on a team that doesn't make the play-offs than there is for a pitcher getting it.  Guys on terrible teams have won the MVP, Arod and Andre Dawson come to mind.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

If the Sox don't make it, there will be a backlash against Ells. I am not justifying it, but that is the reality of the baseball writer's. But then I cannot figure out why the RnR Hall of Fame keeps bypassing Deep Purple.

Gonzalez, IMHO has fallen out of contention.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

MVP...

#1 Verlander
    #2 Ellsbury
    #3 Shields
    #4 Young
    #5 Cano
    #6 Cabrera
    #7 Longoria

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]MVP... #1 Verlander #2 Ellsbury #3 Shields #4 Young #5 Cano #6 Cabrera #7 Longoria
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

No Bautista?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Digest this stat...Miguel Cabrera has hit .440 in his last 50 games!
    That's hitting down the stretch, for sure.
    Guess nobody here watches the AL Central, but the Tigers have been red hot.
    VMart has become Cabrera's Godfather, and keeps the big guy on the straight and narrow. He's the best hitter in the game and has worked hard on his fielding, to become a decent first baseman.
    He's been working out at 3rd, and may play there if the Tigers get to the WS, so VMart can play 1st base.
    I'd go Ellsbury, Cabrera, Granderson. No clear cut winner here.
    Verlander will win it, but I don't think that's fair, since pitcher have the Cy Young, and there is no corresponding award for position players.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I really believe that Verlander deserves this award.  He is the main reason that his team has been so successful this year.   Many believe that pitchers shouldn't be considered.  If this is the case, they should change the award and state that it only applies to position players.  Maybe rename this award somehow. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]I really believe that Verlander deserves this award.  He is the main reason that his team has been so successful this year.   Many believe that pitchers shouldn't be considered.  If this is the case, they should change the award and state that it only applies to position players.  Maybe rename this award somehow. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]well, if you changed it for Verlander..it would stand for Most Victorious Pitcher....Tongue out

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Ellsbury keeps adding to his resume.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Of those picks, I would like Player A. However, with the voters, he will lose points if his team does not make the playoffs. Ditto Player C. I like Player F: Player F: 24-5, 2.40 ERA, 251 IP, 250 KS, 57 BB, 4 CG, 0.920 WHIP.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

People need to stop being ignorant and ignoring pitchers.

It is more likely that a player will K than BB or get a hit.

He AVERAGED  7-1/3 innings per outing! PER OUTING! OVER 32 OF THEM!

He won 12 STRAIGHT STARTS, STARTS!, from July to September, getting a no decision in his last start of the season. Talk about finishing strong. He also had a string of winning 7 straight starts earlier in the season. I wonder how many people realize just HOW impressive that is.

He has given up MORE than 4 ERs only twice all season in 32 starts. And remember that 7-1/3 average.

It's Verlander. It's been Verlander for the past month.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

[QUOTE]Ellsbury keeps adding to his resume.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]
    He's the man!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 5 for MVP. Your pick? : People need to stop being ignorant and ignoring pitchers. It is more likely that a player will K than BB or get a hit. He AVERAGED  7-1/3 innings per outing! PER OUTING! OVER 32 OF THEM! He won 12 STRAIGHT STARTS, STARTS!, from July to September, getting a no decision in his last start of the season. Talk about finishing strong. He also had a string of winning 7 straight starts earlier in the season. I wonder how many people realize just HOW impressive that is. He has given up MORE than 4 ERs only twice all season in 32 starts. And remember that 7-1/3 average. It's Verlander. It's been Verlander for the past month.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

I don't know that it is ignorant.  Some people don't think pitchers are worthy of the MVP.  I think that they should be and that Verlander is a contender this year for sure.  The Tigers are 26 games over .500 right now and 19 over in games where Verlander gets a decision, so they are still a decent team, playoff in that sorry division, w/out him. 

I honestly think it is between Ells and Verlander.  Both are having statistical seasons that are some of the best in history.  As long as those 2 finish 1-2 I won't complain.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 5 for MVP. Your pick? : I don't know that it is ignorant.  Some people don't think pitchers are worthy of the MVP.  I think that they should be and that Verlander is a contender this year for sure.  The Tigers are 26 games over .500 right now and 19 over in games where Verlander gets a decision, so they are still a decent team, playoff in that sorry division, w/out him.  I honestly think it is between Ells and Verlander.  Both are having statistical seasons that are some of the best in history.  As long as those 2 finish 1-2 I won't complain.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Is that not a perfect example of ignorance? Some people decide a pitcher is not worthy even though it's the MVP, Most Valuable Player. Pitchers ARE players, so how is that not ignorant? He's not eligible because he's a pitcher. Women weren't eligible to vote because they were women, that was ignorance. Black people weren't eligible to sit at the front of the bus, that was more ignorance. Pitchers not being eligible to win an award meant for ALL players is ignorance.

There are already silver sluggers for the best hitters. Gold gloves for the best fielders. And Cy Youngs for the best pitcher. If a DH can win an MVP, a pitcher can as well. A hitter gets roughly 600ABs, Verlander has faced at least 700 hitters this year. If Verlander faces Ellsbury 600 times, what do Ellbury's stats look like after? He'll get some hits, but I wouldn't bet on him hitting better than 250.

Pitchers are players too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Top 5 for MVP. Your pick?:
    [QUOTE]Player    H      R    2B    3B    HR    RBI    SB    AVG    OBP    SLG    OPS A         210   118  46     5     31    103    38    .323    .378   .552   .931 B         152   135  26    10    41    119    24    .264    .366   .557   .923 C         153   105  24     2    43     103     9     .302   .448    .613  1.061 D         193   108  46     0    29     104     2    .343    .448    .579  1.027 E         211   107  45     3    27     117     1    .338    .407    .549   .955 Any one of these 5 have a case.  A&B have more speed, B and C have more power, They all have good OPS, but C and D are a step up, due to their OBP, C, D, and E have no speed, B and C are not doubles hitters...A is pretty balanced with 30, 30, 100, 100 with good average and OPS.
    Posted by adam4522[/QUOTE]

None of these cases are complete, as we dont know what their value was to their team (hence, the "MVP" thingy).

Its not best stats, its most valuable.

For instance, if one of those players played for a team that lost 21 of their last 26 games and blew a playoff lead of 10 games, I would disregard them as a candidate regardless of the stats.

Sections
Shortcuts