TOP 5 Most Disappointing things about 2014...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

TOP 5 Most Disappointing things about 2014...

5. Manager Farrell's inability to make decent hitting/pitching moves late in the game. Maybe he's snake-bitten, maybe his players just stink but every pinch hitting, running, and pitching change seems to end up badly. 

4. Grady turns back into a pumpkin. Did you really think he was going to pick up where he left off four years ago? I did. The reality is sad and killing the Sox and he might be a notorious part of history if this group keeps up the lameness. 

3. Gomes - He had us all convinced that he was the common denominator of recent championships but he looks like a platoon player who plays outfield like a middle schooler. The swagger is gone.

2. Ben's dealings. Being in a coma this past hot-stove wasn't smart considering you lost the entire middle of your team. But panicking and signing Drew was dumb and the fact that it meant moving a hot Bogie to 3B and overpaying for his services that no team wanted was beyond dumb. The 2012 Ben is back. 

1. Clay - Fragile, lifeless, gutless, and filled with imaginary demons that bedevil him. A perfect symbol of the 2014 team thus far. 

As always - 100% correct!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: TOP 5 Most Disappointing things about 2014...

Number 2 is so increditably off base. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Keeping the faith Bosox....really?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

Yeah... I did not want Drew here this year or last... but if the team wins the WS I will still admit, and perhaps even promote that I wanted him anywhere other than here.

geo and the others always forget their stances once they are wrong......  not me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah... I did not want Drew here this year or last... but if the team wins the WS I will still admit, and perhaps even promote that I wanted him anywhere other than here.

geo and the others always forget their stances once they are wrong......  not me.

[/QUOTE]

not true..i admit mistakes all the time...#4 - did you read it?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    No you dislike hi  there for you need to make him seem like a failure. Other than Choo and Ellsbury where there any OFers available. Also Victorino is probably a bigger lost than Ellsbury right now. Herrera is better than any utility guy the Sox had last year, offensive AJ has been more constant than Salty, and the BP is better. The Red Sox lost 10 games in a row because a lack of timely hitting and poor starts from everyone in the rotation not because Ben wasn't proactive enough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    No you dislike hi  there for you need to make him seem like a failure. Other than Choo and Ellsbury where there any OFers available. Also Victorino is probably a bigger lost than Ellsbury right now. Herrera is better than any utility guy the Sox had last year, offensive AJ has been more constant than Salty, and the BP is better. The Red Sox lost 10 games in a row because a lack of timely hitting and poor starts from everyone in the rotation not because Ben wasn't proactive enough.

[/QUOTE]

i really disagree...he offered a qualifying contract to Drew that wouldve paid salty for the next two years - he dug up grady out of the dirt to replace ells, but most of all he let ells walk as if he didnt mean anything to the team - and guess what, he did the same to Lester....why would Lester even consider signing with the Sox after that paltry offer? no worries Bosox, Aceves can always be picked up to fill the roster spot...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

but most of all he let ells walk as if he didnt mean anything to the team

[/QUOTE]

Are you saying we should have outbid the Yanks for Ellsbury?  You think it would have been a good move to pay him $23 million a year the next 7 years?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

5. Nava (a repeat of 2013 might have been too much to ask, but who thought he'd completely lose it?)

4. Mujica

3. Middlebrooks (had hoped for a step forward...instead he has been worse than ever)

2. Bradley

1. Buchholz

Honorable mention: Doubront, who I had pegged as another breakout candidate (maybe I just need to stop with that), though if he comes back healthy there is still time.

Hard for me to put Sizemore on there when the odds were so stacked against him returning to anything like previous form to begin with. I always wanted JBJ in center and felt anything Grady gave us was gravy...and I'm happy that he's back in baseball and hope he rekindles some of the old magic eventually, but I'm increasingly thinking it won't be with the Sox.

Gomes, IMO, is what he is. Maybe he will get hotter as the season progresses like he did last year, but he is a limited player and there's a reason he has always been a part-time guy at best.

Ben took a long-term view this past winter, which I agreed with (I think paying Ellsbury $160m or getting someone like Kemp or Beltran wouldn't have fixed this team's issues and would hurt us more in the long run), but the short-term results have been worse than most of us ever anticipated. I thought we'd see a step back of some sort from 2013, but did not expect to be sub-.500 in June. Ben still has some 2013 credit saved up, IMO, but the moves or non-moves he makes in the coming months will determine a lot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

Are you saying we should have outbid the Yanks for Ellsbury?  You think it would have been a good move to pay him $23 million a year the next 7 years?

[/QUOTE]

absolutley...he was the best CF in my lifetime and a two time champion who could run, field, steal, and even hit for both power and average...his big mistake - running into beltre...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

absolutley...he was the best CF in my lifetime and a two time champion who could run, field, steal, and even hit for both power and average...his big mistake - running into beltre...

[/QUOTE]

I'm noting this on my backup drive.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

Gomes = Millar.... exactly how much "cowboy-up" did we see in 2005? Some things work once, but not twice ... and fringe players who sometimes shine so very bright also fall dark and silent most of the time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Have to remember that a factor in not re-signing Ellsbury or bringing in a Choo or Beltran was the issue of compensation picks...as of last night, we can now put names to those picks, and as Chavis and Kobeck develop we'll be able to determine the long-term impact for the franchise of not forfeiting those picks for a short-term gain.

A lot of people always regretted that we let Orlando Cabrera go after 2004, but that got us Ellsbury and Lowrie in the draft. Jason Bay got us Workman. Barnes, Swihart, Owens, and Bradley all came from V-Mart and Beltre.

Not that it excuses the 2014 team's (so far) failure, but sometimes the true impact of these free agent decisions will not be apparent for a while.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

use your memory more and your back up drive less HFX - you missed out it seems

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gomes = Millar.... exactly how much "cowboy-up" did we see in 2005? Some things work once, but not twice ... and fringe players who sometimes shine so very bright also fall dark and silent most of the time.

[/QUOTE]

Also:

On June 5, 2013 Gomes was hitting 173/321/298 = 619 OPS

On June 5, 2014 Gomes is hitting 230/335/378 = 713 OPS

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Have to remember that a factor in not re-signing Ellsbury or bringing in a Choo or Beltran was the issue of compensation picks...as of last night, we can now put names to those picks, and as Chavis and Kobeck develop we'll be able to determine the long-term impact for the franchise of not forfeiting those picks for a short-term gain.

A lot of people always regretted that we let Orlando Cabrera go after 2004, but that got us Ellsbury and Lowrie in the draft. Jason Bay got us Workman. Barnes, Swihart, Owens, and Bradley all came from V-Mart and Beltre.

Not that it excuses the 2014 team's (so far) failure, but sometimes the true impact of these free agent decisions will not be apparent for a while.

[/QUOTE]

this was a good swap? what?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It fascinates me a little how some posters will complain endlessly about a relatively small, short-term commitment to a player they dislike (such as a certain shortstop I can think of), but when it comes to the players they like, we need to keep them at ALL COSTS...failing to acknowledge that there comes a point where the price is simply too high to be justified and it will end up being detrimental to the franchise.

When it comes to Lester, I look forward to seeing how the battle lines will be drawn between the "He is not a $20-million-per-year pitcher!" people and the "HE IS OUR ACE, WE NEED HIM NO MATTER WHAT!" people. I am somewhere in the middle...I want to keep Lester, but not if he wants King Felix or Verlander type money. Same reasoning applies to Ellsbury - a very good and useful player, IMO, but not a superstar.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

this was a good swap? what?

[/QUOTE]

You could argue for Beltre for sure...in hindsight, I could dig an alternate universe where we re-sign him, never do the A-Gon trade, and probably have Rizzo at first right now.

However, in a few years if Beltre is retired and Swihart is a top catcher and/or Bradley a top CF, things may appear differently. Again, looking long-term here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

5. Manager Farrell's inability to make decent hitting/pitching moves late in the game. Maybe he's snake-bitten, maybe his players just stink but every pinch hitting, running, and pitching change seems to end up badly. 

4. Grady turns back into a pumpkin. Did you really think he was going to pick up where he left off four years ago? I did. The reality is sad and killing the Sox and he might be a notorious part of history if this group keeps up the lameness. 

3. Gomes - He had us all convinced that he was the common denominator of recent championships but he looks like a platoon player who plays outfield like a middle schooler. The swagger is gone.

2. Ben's dealings. Being in a coma this past hot-stove wasn't smart considering you lost the entire middle of your team. But panicking and signing Drew was dumb and the fact that it meant moving a hot Bogie to 3B and overpaying for his services that no team wanted was beyond dumb. The 2012 Ben is back. 

1. Clay - Fragile, lifeless, gutless, and filled with imaginary demons that bedevil him. A perfect symbol of the 2014 team thus far. 

[/QUOTE]Well, all another year older.......... Injuries/Buchholz??/Doubront??/and the panic to bring Drew back ......  Howevaaa,  not to late to turn things around for BEN  !!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

Most Disappointing thing about 2014..............IS.......Coming out of spring training with a minor league team and fooling fans to think they have a shot to repeat. Injury's  don't matter at all  because the talent is just average and below at best. How does it feel to be fooled?  I said all along from spring training, Sox are in deep trouble.One of the very few who seen this coming.  Wish I was wrong , still not to late to turn it around. Start by dumping half  the team ..lol lol lol

[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I guess I'll never get the insatiable need of some posters to assign blame to everything. There are 30 teams all doing what they can to win and only one team ends up the champ. Players do well. Players do poorly. Sometimes it is a cycle: sometimes it isn't. We put a team on the field that looked good on paper- not much different from last year, but things just didn't work out.

Am I saying nobody has been more significantly responsible for the downturn that others? Of course not, but injuries happen. Slumps happen- sometimes near season long ones. Sometimes things can snowball into maddening failures.

The team is not doing well right now. There were times last year that many posters wrote us off. I haven't given up faith yet, but I certainly do not have high hopes anymore.

Sox4ever

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I guess I'll never get the insatiable need of some posters to assign blame to everything. There are 30 teams all doing what they can to win and only one team ends up the champ. Players do well. Players do poorly. Sometimes it is a cycle: sometimes it isn't. We put a team on the field that looked good on paper- not much different from last year, but things just didn't work out.

Am I saying nobody has been more significant if the downturn that others? Of course not, but injuries happen. Slumps happen- sometimes near season long ones. Sometimes things can snowball into maddening failures.

The team is not doing well right now. There were times last year that many posters wrote us off. I haven't given up faith yet, but I certainly do not have high hopes anymore.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

assigning blame? maybe ruminating on a disappointing season - there's a difference...you cant improve unless you figure out whats wrong....funny to see how many folks here are attacking the messenger..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

assigning blame? maybe ruminating on a disappointing season - there's a difference...you cant improve unless you figure out whats wrong....funny to see how many folks here are attacking the messenger..

[/QUOTE]

I see a few civil disagreements here...I don't see any attacks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Am I saying nobody has been more significant if the downturn that others? Of course not, but injuries happen. Slumps happen- sometimes near season long ones. Sometimes things can snowball into maddening failures.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Prioritizing a list of the top 5 to blame is "assigning blame" and a bit more than just "ruminating".

I agree we need to identify the weakest links to begin the plan to improvement, and I understand that some here are being constructive in their criticism, but I do feel some have a near constant need to pick apart and blame someone for every little thing that goes wrong.

I've been known to be critical of players and management at times. I'm not above some of my own criticisms.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The most disappointing thing was management's performance during the winter. Everything else stems from that.  Baseball is a business. The most successful businesses ( Amazon, Google, Apple, Walmart, etc.) are always trying to improve their product and stay ahead of the competition. They don't take a year off or a step back. The Sox failed to do that this off season. It is sad that so many posters on here will not see that. Many will continue to spin things every which way to avoid the reality . The reality is that we are where we are because of the off season moves or lack of same. I have been consistent on this since Spring training. 

Stabbed by Foulke.