TOP 5 Most Disappointing things about 2014...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: TOP 5 Most Disappointing things about 2014...

In response to mfymfy's comment:

Solarte's magic wearing off? He's what supernova XB was supposed to be before he turned into a 40 watt bulb with bad hands.

Yeah XB is doing terrible lately.  Nice to see you're keeping up on things.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to FriendsofFrazee's comment:

The most disappointing thing to me about this season is how bad the Rays are.

If they were slightly better the sox would be in the cellar where they belong.

And the funniest thing about this season is seeing the 'improved' Yankees 4 games worse than they were last year this time when they were trotting out Overbay, Hafner and Wells every day.

Considering they are missing 3/5 of their rotation at the moment, I kind of like where they are right now.

That makes at least two of us.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

[/QUOTE
    Was really more of an honest response to hfxsoxnut's denial mode. Not much need for angst in the Evil Empire. We're winning our share and uncover good things weekly--Solarte, Betances, Warren, Whitley, etc. but Toronto may never lose again so that's an issue. If hfxsox thinks the Yankees are the funniest thing this season, Im curious to hear his vote for most pathetic. Tell him he doesnt even need to put his distance glasses on. And yes, Ellsbury is worth the money, but you already know that.

Not even close, mfy. No Red Sox fan will deny Ellsbury is missed, but when it becomes apparent he was not worth the contract, NYY fans won't admit it, at least here. My nephew, a Red Sox fan, works for the NYY. During spring training he was speaking with another NYY employee, about Ellsbury and his contract. He was told the NYY know they over pay in money and years, acknowledge and accept, they'll take a hit on the back end of the contracts. 

nothing better than to watch the yankees take hits on the back end of contracts

Jeter.......ARoids, CC, Burnett.......some bigs one coming due in Beltran and Texiera.......followed by McCann't and Ellsbury and God knows who else they'll have on the team by that time...Probably add Tanaka to the list because he is going to OPT OUT and Cashman is going to give him Clayton Kershaw money which he'll never live up to as he gets up into his 30's as no one does, not even Charles Carstens (aka the next 300 game winner according to Francesa and Kaye etc).......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Have to disagree that that is how to run a business. The Sox were in a money saving mode. They did not spend to improve the team. Not one single top free agent , foreign or domestic. No major trade. The results are showing up now. Young prospects should be integrated into the team while maintaining a top quality product. Taking a step back makes no sense to me. There is absolutely no guarantee that it will result in increased profits starting in 2016. Meanwhile, plenty of customers are disgruntled. Bad business, especially after all the good will last year.

Technically, not true.  They did sign Napoli.  And while you undoubtedly will and should point out that was only status quo, bear in mind, it also means it could have been worse.  They didn't have to sign Napoli, after all.

W\But more important, what you call "money saving," others call "not being stupid."

The Sox do appear to have a lot of long term plans in place.  And they do involve players like Bogaerts, Bradley, Cecchini, Barnes, Vazquez, Swihart.  And while not all will work out, they plan on giving opportunities to most of these guys, which will allow for a better chance at retaining someone like Lester, or pursuing another player.

While the Sox did very little this off-season, a big part of that appeared to be the long term picture.  They only made short term investments in players where little to no risk was involved.  Mujica has been ineffective, but he is only here for 2 seasons maximum.  Sizemore and Pierzynski are here for one season.  Going all in on a player like Ellsbury through 2020 because you need him in 2014 doesn’t seem smart to me. 

The Sox avoided the long term mega-deals for a reason; they almost never pan out.  And while Manny Ramirez remained productive for the life of a long term deal, how many other players did?  Ever?  The Sox own history with free agency is spotty, to be kind.  And it wasn’t because they signed the “wrong guys” like Crawford, Lugo, Renteria, etc.  It was because those kind of results are typical.

Every GM knows this.  They have to.  The failure of post-30 players making overwhelming money is so rampant, it can’t be a secret.  Yet teams still do it.  The Yankees still signed McCann and Ellsbury.  The Giants went overboard on Pence.  The Mariners broke the bank for Cano and the Rangers with Choo.  Why? All of these players are all but guaranteed to be unproductive payroll deadweight at some point before they reach free agency their next go-round.  Cano and McCann are off to a great start in this regard.

A big part of the answer is PR.  Unlike the NBA and the NFL, the MLB draft draws much less interest and has no impact on season ticket sales.  While Astro fans might be excited about Brady Aiken and White Sox fans are probably very happy with Carlos Rodon, I can promise you not one single fan ran out and bought 2015 season tickets because of these picks.  And they shouldn’t have.

Sure, the Red Sox could have gone all in for Choo, sold more season tickets, possibly upped NESN advertising costs, re-negotiated a radio deal, something like that.  And Choo would be a terrific addition in 2014.  How good will he be in 2017, at age 35?  With 3 more years to go?  Will fans still be happy to see him out there making $20mill with a .650OPS?  One thing we know – any success he has in 2014 or 2015 will not generate sympathy if 2016 is a disaster.  We have people writing off Shane Victorino already, and he was an ALCS hero as recently as last year.  We have people listing Clay Buchholz as someone who needs to go, and again, as recently as last year, the Sox were 12 games over .500 in his starts, and 20 games over .500 in games started by everyone else combined.

So teams in need of an image change pay the price for the older, proven existing talent,  McCann will probably NEVER generate $85mill worth of production on the field for NY.  But he did generate significant off-season excitement, which probably resulted in some season ticket sales and had an impact on YES advertising revenue.  Same with Ellsbury, Cano and Pence and a lot of others will for their respective teams.  The only free agents from this offseason who looked to offer an actual on-field long term improvements were Tanaka and Abreu.  And despite their significant press, those two probably generated the least excitement, due to their unproven nature and marketability.  (“Come see Tanaka and the 2014 Yankees!!  We promise this guy is better than Irabu, Matsuzaka, Igawa and Ishii!! We mean it this time!!  Buy tickets!!”)

Of course, this is why the Sox avoided long term free agency.  The short term options can become a matter of rolling the dice.  Sure, Rajai Davis looks like he would have been an improvement, but he also could have been a total flop.  It wouldn’t be a first for him.  And if he did flop, would fans say “the Sox tried”, or would they say “the Sox didn’t do enough”?   It takes the same effort to sign a success as it does a flop.

I hated a lot of their moves, most notably Pierzynski.  But to me, this doesn’t mean they didn’t try.  Sure, there were other things they could have done, and hindsight will now say they should have.  I was never a fan of Nava/Gomes in LF.  But if both guys are hitting, it’s a non-issue.  And if the Sox brought in another outfielder – for example someone like Davis or, better yet,  Mike Morse, what would the consensus be?   If Morse put up his 2014 numbers at Fenway, the FO is brilliant.  If instead Morse hit like he did in 2013 (.651OPS, 84OPS+), which is worse than the Sox are currently getting from Gomes, would we still feel the same about the efforts of the Sox front office?  Are they less brilliant and less diligent because Mike Morse isn’t hitting?

And look at the teams that are winning.  What big name free agent did the A's bring in? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Have to remember that a factor in not re-signing Ellsbury or bringing in a Choo or Beltran was the issue of compensation picks...as of last night, we can now put names to those picks, and as Chavis and Kobeck develop we'll be able to determine the long-term impact for the franchise of not forfeiting those picks for a short-term gain.

A lot of people always regretted that we let Orlando Cabrera go after 2004, but that got us Ellsbury and Lowrie in the draft. Jason Bay got us Workman. Barnes, Swihart, Owens, and Bradley all came from V-Mart and Beltre.

Not that it excuses the 2014 team's (so far) failure, but sometimes the true impact of these free agent decisions will not be apparent for a while.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Excellent post, sir.  I realize that the OP was about 2014, but your points are well made.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Have to remember that a factor in not re-signing Ellsbury or bringing in a Choo or Beltran was the issue of compensation picks...as of last night, we can now put names to those picks, and as Chavis and Kobeck develop we'll be able to determine the long-term impact for the franchise of not forfeiting those picks for a short-term gain.

A lot of people always regretted that we let Orlando Cabrera go after 2004, but that got us Ellsbury and Lowrie in the draft. Jason Bay got us Workman. Barnes, Swihart, Owens, and Bradley all came from V-Mart and Beltre.

Not that it excuses the 2014 team's (so far) failure, but sometimes the true impact of these free agent decisions will not be apparent for a while.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Excellent post, sir.  I realize that the OP was about 2014, but your points are well made.

No one likes to pay for long term contracts when they get to free agency....this means players in their mid-late 30s are making serious bank as they naturally decline...however you have to take each player and individually weigh their merits, age, conditioning, etc.  This is why I felt Ells was a good choice to be resigned - given his success in Boston, his conditioning and age, the back end of his contract would not have been that long of a period...honestly if you're afraid to sign big contracts then you get what we have now. Overpaying for mediocre talent and a constant turnover of players....is that the model now because we fear contracts? I bought four crapola gas grilles in the last six years spending about $500 - this year I got me a Weber for less than that and it works like a space shuttle. All the reviews I read said it will last 10 years at least. You get what you pay for. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

No one likes to pay for long term contracts when they get to free agency....this means players in their mid-late 30s are making serious bank as they naturally decline...however you have to take each player and individually weigh their merits, age, conditioning, etc.  This is why I felt Ells was a good choice to be resigned - given his success in Boston, his conditioning and age, the back end of his contract would not have been that long of a period...honestly if you're afraid to sign big contracts then you get what we have now.  

And if you sign a lot of those big contracts you get what the Yankees have now.  It's a different kind of mess from what we've got, but arguably a worse one.

The MLB game is getting harder and harder to win.  It's no wonder there are no more repeat winners.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

Yeah... I did not want Drew here this year or last... but if the team wins the WS I will still admit, and perhaps even promote that I wanted him anywhere other than here.

geo and the others always forget their stances once they are wrong......  not me.

not true..i admit mistakes all the time...#4 - did you read it?

[object HTMLDivElement]

It's a little different.  Your history of making mistakes is so much deeper and longer, it is easier for you to admit them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The most disappointing thing was management's performance during the winter. Everything else stems from that.  Baseball is a business. The most successful businesses ( Amazon, Google, Apple, Walmart, etc.) are always trying to improve their product and stay ahead of the competition. They don't take a year off or a step back. The Sox failed to do that this off season. It is sad that so many posters on here will not see that. Many will continue to spin things every which way to avoid the reality . The reality is that we are where we are because of the off season moves or lack of same. I have been consistent on this since Spring training. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

They did similar things last year, and all the same posters were saying those moves were mistakes.

You realize the only difference between this year's team and last year's team is-

AJP over Salty-basically a wash

XBO over Drew-a move in our favor

JBJ over Ells-a move backwards, but probably a necessary step back, unless we want to pay Ells $22M for a long time.

The biggest disappointments this year were our biggest accomplishmnets last year-

Vic's been hurt the entire year

Buchholz has pitched badly after going 12-1

Nava & Carp are at .514 and .603 after going .831 & .885.

It's not been the acquisitions that have hurt, it's been our own guys.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Overpaying for mediocre talent and a constant turnover of players....is that the model now because we fear contracts?

If the model results in 3 WSC in 10 years, should we not use that model?

Past that, doesn't every team have a lot of turnover?

And even past that, if you don't like our model, whose model do you like?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Overpaying for mediocre talent and a constant turnover of players....is that the model now because we fear contracts?

R U suggesting it's been the same model for 10 yrs

would this yrs model  sign manny like the old model did

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The battle cry of too many on here is - " Wait til last year." 

Stabbed by Foulke.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

signing damon, drew, manny, dice, and shill was using that model? huh?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

One big disappointment is Lester. Another season when one thinks he's gonna mature into an ace, and, instead, he's a #2 at best. I don't care if the SOX re-sign him or not.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

One big disappointment is Lester. Another season when one thinks he's gonna mature into an ace, and, instead, he's a #2 at best. I don't care if the SOX re-sign him or not.

if there are other options out there (like Sherzer) I say spend it there...agree with you

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

1-I doubt there are any models out there saying that you cannot do any one particular thing.

2-The model is now is moving towards shorter contracts, perhaps more lucrative, and more kids.

3-Having said that, one of the ideas of going with kids is to be able to have enough flexibility to sign more expensive guys as they come along.

4-And, for better or worse, we aren't a mega-market team like NY, LA, etc.  We have money, but it is unlikely we will be outbidding the likes of NY and LA for elite FAs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

if there are other options out there (like Sherzer) I say spend it there...agree with you

[object HTMLDivElement]

Scherzer's ERA over his last four starts is 6.84 with an OPSa of .959.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Scherzer's ERA over his last four starts is 6.84 with an OPSa of .959.

I agree with your post about the new contract era and you have to be flexible...i think given the cache of this team/nation we def are a mega market team...i disagree with you about sherzer...although if they resigned lester i wouldnt be angry but i think max may have more upside imo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I agree with your post about the new contract era and you have to be flexible...i think given the cache of this team/nation we def are a mega market team...i disagree with you about sherzer...although if they resigned lester i wouldnt be angry but i think max may have more upside imo

Mega-market is a term I made to differentiate us from NY and LA.  Certainly we have the muscle to compete with the likes of Detroit, Philly, etc.

But even then, the problem becomes that, even if LA and NY aren't interested in a given player, it's difficult to compete with the crazies.  And all you need is one crazy.  We have as much money as LAA, but if they decide to go nuts for the likes of Pujols and Hamilton, or Detroit with Fielder, it's suicide to try to top their order.

If you look at the top-20 or 30 FA contracts, most of them have been disappointments.

IRT Scherzer, he's good, but he's already turned down more than I'd be willing to offer him.  He turned down $144M/6, and his career numbers are pretty identical to Lesters.  And his velocity has decreased more rapidly than Lester's has.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

I think we all have our own philosophies, as should be expected.  Maybe we should respect each other's differing stances a little more than we do.     

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

The battle cry is split two ways.

One camp is that we should do everything possible to win THIS year, without regard for the future.

The other camp is that we need to keep on growing our talent base, whether it is for immediate return or long-term return.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

I think we all have our own philosophies, as should be expected.  Maybe we should respect each other's differing stances a little more than we do.     

[object HTMLDivElement].    I agree. Here is my problem. I said in spring training that I had a problem with the off season moves. I said that trouble was looming. Many disagreed, saying that Ben did things right and all was well. Now, it turns out that the club  is struggling. But the dissenters are still insisting that they were right and I was wrong.  After spring training last year, I was among the most optimistic. I did not get that same feeling this year. I have not given up on the season, as some already have. But I am not at all surprised at what has happened so far. If Ben is to get credit when things go right, he should be criticized when things go wrong.  People are spinning it to suggest that this is all part of the plan for long term success. They are reminding all of our three titles. That is fine. But I am referring to this off season. Our play so far vindicates my concerns. I have no problem with others who feel differently. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

One camp is that we should do everything possible to win THIS year, without regard for the future.

The other camp is that we need to keep on growing our talent base, whether it is for immediate return or long-term return.

[object HTMLDivElement]. Split it a third way. Try to win this year, while continuing to develop for the future. That is the third , and best, option. It should not just be a choice between the first two.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]. Split it a third way. Try to win this year, while continuing to develop for the future. That is the third , and best, option. It should not just be a choice between the first two.

Yes the "we took a hit this year so we could be great for years to come" argument is self-serving. You don't play for the future although we all agree you shouldn't give it away either. Look, we got lucky last year with role players and oft injured veterans who had awesome years. Can you expect that to happen again? No. Ben did this year what he did last year - he signed a few marginal players to supplement the core but the core was in fact a lot of journeymen players...so what you get is this year. Obviously next year or sooner you are going to have to bite the bullet and pay for a player in his prime. Remember Theo's small ball year? Well that was answered the following year with big signings because small ball=average players at best and NESN ratings matter. Look at this team right now with the lineups they are sending out there. Embarrassing. This is not on Farrell - it is on Ben - just like it was his banner year in 2013.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

The reality is this, Ben and co took the offseason off and assumed that all the luck the sox had last year would continue into this season. He let ells go and signed Sizemore hoping he could get lucky. The reality of baseball is that you pay for what you get. If you want good players, you have to spend big. The strategy of paying high dollar on short deals for vets is not one you can build a team with. Sure, you can have 1 or 2 of those guys, but not a team built with them being the majority. And I get the importance of having a good farm system and building your team that way, but again you can't build a whole team that way. Especially when you are a big market team like the sox. We had options to improve but chose not to take them. Choo has been arguably the best lead off man in the league this year and we certainly could have signed him. Jose abreu could have been a great long term fit at 1B for us and signed only 12 mill per over 4 or 5 years. I think anyone would take him over Napoli. But again we shyed away from the international market even though the price was reasonable and we have no long term 1B. The fo just makes mistake after mistake and this is the result. On top of it all we low balled Lester our best pitcher and who knows if he will still sign here. Considering the lack of talent on this team, we can't afford to lose him. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

The reality is this, Ben and co took the offseason off and assumed that all the luck the sox had last year would continue into this season. He let ells go and signed Sizemore hoping he could get lucky. The reality of baseball is that you pay for what you get. If you want good players, you have to spend big. The strategy of paying high dollar on short deals for vets is not one you can build a team with. Sure, you can have 1 or 2 of those guys, but not a team built with them being the majority. And I get the importance of having a good farm system and building your team that way, but again you can't build a whole team that way. Especially when you are a big market team like the sox. We had options to improve but chose not to take them. Choo has been arguably the best lead off man in the league this year and we certainly could have signed him. Jose abreu could have been a great long term fit at 1B for us and signed only 12 mill per over 4 or 5 years. I think anyone would take him over Napoli. But again we shyed away from the international market even though the price was reasonable and we have no long term 1B. The fo just makes mistake after mistake and this is the result. On top of it all we low balled Lester our best pitcher and who knows if he will still sign here. Considering the lack of talent on this team, we can't afford to lose him. 

Yes, but you're making it all sound too simple.  Other fo's are obviously making plenty of mistakes too - otherwise, why wasn't there a team better than us last year?

Besides us, the only other teams with multiple titles since 2000 are San Fran and St. Louis.  Those are probably the 2 most successful organizations right now, I would say.

The Yankees have been the biggest spenders, obviously.  Where are they right now?  Tanaka looks great, Ellsbury looks decent, but they've made too many big ticket signings that are hurting them.

Sections
Shortcuts