TOP 5 Most Disappointing things about 2014...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: TOP 5 Most Disappointing things about 2014...

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The battle cry of too many on here is - " Wait til last year." 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

I think we all have our own philosophies, as should be expected.  Maybe we should respect each other's differing stances a little more than we do.     

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].    I agree. Here is my problem. I said in spring training that I had a problem with the off season moves. I said that trouble was looming. Many disagreed, saying that Ben did things right and all was well. Now, it turns out that the club  is struggling. But the dissenters are still insisting that they were right and I was wrong.  After spring training last year, I was among the most optimistic. I did not get that same feeling this year. I have not given up on the season, as some already have. But I am not at all surprised at what has happened so far. If Ben is to get credit when things go right, he should be criticized when things go wrong.  People are spinning it to suggest that this is all part of the plan for long term success. They are reminding all of our three titles. That is fine. But I am referring to this off season. Our play so far vindicates my concerns. I have no problem with others who feel differently. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The battle cry is split two ways.

One camp is that we should do everything possible to win THIS year, without regard for the future.

The other camp is that we need to keep on growing our talent base, whether it is for immediate return or long-term return.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]. Split it a third way. Try to win this year, while continuing to develop for the future. That is the third , and best, option. It should not just be a choice between the first two.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

The battle cry is split two ways.

One camp is that we should do everything possible to win THIS year, without regard for the future.

The other camp is that we need to keep on growing our talent base, whether it is for immediate return or long-term return.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]. Split it a third way. Try to win this year, while continuing to develop for the future. That is the third , and best, option. It should not just be a choice between the first two.

[/QUOTE]

Yes the "we took a hit this year so we could be great for years to come" argument is self-serving. You don't play for the future although we all agree you shouldn't give it away either. Look, we got lucky last year with role players and oft injured veterans who had awesome years. Can you expect that to happen again? No. Ben did this year what he did last year - he signed a few marginal players to supplement the core but the core was in fact a lot of journeymen players...so what you get is this year. Obviously next year or sooner you are going to have to bite the bullet and pay for a player in his prime. Remember Theo's small ball year? Well that was answered the following year with big signings because small ball=average players at best and NESN ratings matter. Look at this team right now with the lineups they are sending out there. Embarrassing. This is not on Farrell - it is on Ben - just like it was his banner year in 2013.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

The reality is this, Ben and co took the offseason off and assumed that all the luck the sox had last year would continue into this season. He let ells go and signed Sizemore hoping he could get lucky. The reality of baseball is that you pay for what you get. If you want good players, you have to spend big. The strategy of paying high dollar on short deals for vets is not one you can build a team with. Sure, you can have 1 or 2 of those guys, but not a team built with them being the majority. And I get the importance of having a good farm system and building your team that way, but again you can't build a whole team that way. Especially when you are a big market team like the sox. We had options to improve but chose not to take them. Choo has been arguably the best lead off man in the league this year and we certainly could have signed him. Jose abreu could have been a great long term fit at 1B for us and signed only 12 mill per over 4 or 5 years. I think anyone would take him over Napoli. But again we shyed away from the international market even though the price was reasonable and we have no long term 1B. The fo just makes mistake after mistake and this is the result. On top of it all we low balled Lester our best pitcher and who knows if he will still sign here. Considering the lack of talent on this team, we can't afford to lose him. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The reality is this, Ben and co took the offseason off and assumed that all the luck the sox had last year would continue into this season. He let ells go and signed Sizemore hoping he could get lucky. The reality of baseball is that you pay for what you get. If you want good players, you have to spend big. The strategy of paying high dollar on short deals for vets is not one you can build a team with. Sure, you can have 1 or 2 of those guys, but not a team built with them being the majority. And I get the importance of having a good farm system and building your team that way, but again you can't build a whole team that way. Especially when you are a big market team like the sox. We had options to improve but chose not to take them. Choo has been arguably the best lead off man in the league this year and we certainly could have signed him. Jose abreu could have been a great long term fit at 1B for us and signed only 12 mill per over 4 or 5 years. I think anyone would take him over Napoli. But again we shyed away from the international market even though the price was reasonable and we have no long term 1B. The fo just makes mistake after mistake and this is the result. On top of it all we low balled Lester our best pitcher and who knows if he will still sign here. Considering the lack of talent on this team, we can't afford to lose him. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but you're making it all sound too simple.  Other fo's are obviously making plenty of mistakes too - otherwise, why wasn't there a team better than us last year?

Besides us, the only other teams with multiple titles since 2000 are San Fran and St. Louis.  Those are probably the 2 most successful organizations right now, I would say.

The Yankees have been the biggest spenders, obviously.  Where are they right now?  Tanaka looks great, Ellsbury looks decent, but they've made too many big ticket signings that are hurting them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Ownership has decided to ride the win last year for this and probably a couple more years while they settle out various upcoming existing player contract negotiations and development of cheaper minor league talent. Some of the guys they hoped would blossom soon haven't. Those are the breaks.

Don't hold your collective breath. If some type of trade to bring outfield bats doesn't happen that will be the sign that you can make other plans for a few years and maybe find new hobbies until ownership gets serious about winning again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to FriendsofFrazee's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The most disappointing thing to me about this season is how bad the Rays are.

If they were slightly better the sox would be in the cellar where they belong.

[/QUOTE]

And the funniest thing about this season is seeing the 'improved' Yankees 4 games worse than they were last year this time when they were trotting out Overbay, Hafner and Wells every day.

[/QUOTE]

And yet they are tied for the WC and not below .500 like SOME teams!!

[/QUOTE]

"my sucky team is better than your sucky team!!!"  hahahaha.  babe, you remind me so much of a pre-2004 red sox fan.  hahahahahahaha
    yes, the reigning World Series Champs are currently under .500. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And the funniest thing about this season is seeing the 'improved' Yankees 4 games worse than they were last year this time when they were trotting out Overbay, Hafner and Wells every day.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"my sucky team is better than your sucky team!!!"  hahahaha.  babe, you remind me so much of a pre-2004 red sox fan.  hahahahahahaha

[/QUOTE]

Hardly, I'm happy that my team is in the playoff hunt. Once you get in anything can happen.

And I can't say what you remind me of since this is a family friendly web site.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yup, I'm sure all Yankee fans are tickled pink by the Yankees .500 record.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hardly, I'm happy that my team is in the playoff hunt. Once you get in anything can happen.

And I can't say what you remind me of since this is a family friendly web site.

[/QUOTE]

"hardly" what????  are you saying that you hardly remind me of a pre 2004 sox fan???  wait...so now yankees fans are so full of themselves they can actually tell me what i think/feel/believe???  lol.  hahaha.  good luck with that. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Repeat after me:  Any team that relies on Clay Buchholtz to be a contributor in their rotation gets exactly what they deserve.  Keep saying it over and over again until it finally sinks in.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Repeat after me:  Any team that relies on Clay Buchholtz to be a contributor in their rotation gets exactly what they deserve.  Keep saying it over and over again until it finally sinks in.

[/QUOTE]

Yes Andrew, we all saw it the first 20 times you posted it.
    [object HTMLDivElement]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

What disappoints me most about the 2014 Sox is that they are an incredibly BORING team to watch. They have absolutely no speed, can't hit in the clutch, the manager refuses to try to manufacture runs a la "small ball", play lousy defense and along with Miller have three new guys in the pen that flat out stink.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Seeing is one thing

Sinking in is another

One mustn't simply "see" it.  One must repeat it over and over again lest one will merely remain in a state or perpetual delusion; as evidence on these very here boards.......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to trouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

What disappoints me most about the 2014 Sox is that they are an incredibly BORING team to watch. They have absolutely no speed, can't hit in the clutch, the manager refuses to try to manufacture runs a la "small ball", play lousy defense and along with Miller have three new guys in the pen that flat out stink.

[/QUOTE]

They are flat that's for sure.

But Boggy, Ortiz and Naps and always good AB's to watch and Pedey is always fun to watch in the field.  Holt has added some energy.  Other than that?  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Seeing is one thing

Sinking in is another

One mustn't simply "see" it.  One must repeat it over and over again lest one will merely remain in a state or perpetual delusion; as evidence on these very here boards.......

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

What does that have to do with you repeating "Buchholz stinks!" multiple times daily?

I don't see anyone denying that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

pretty sure the Red Sox weren't "relying" on one player.  as a fan if you were relying on Clay solely for success of 2014 that would be silly.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Plenty of people were frustrated with Buchholz last season, plenty were skeptical/worried about him coming into 2014, and plenty are upset about what has happened with him so far...but only Andrewmitch seems to have an unhealthy obsession with the guy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

pretty sure the Red Sox weren't "relying" on one player.  as a fan if you were relying on Clay solely for success of 2014 that would be silly.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Andrew wont be happy until every last member here hates Clay as much as he does.

It's never worked in the past, but that doesn't matter...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

wait...so now yankees fans are so full of themselves they can actually tell me what i think/feel/believe???  lol.  hahaha.  good luck with that. 

that's crazy talk slash

we know only larry can do that

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Plenty of people were frustrated with Buchholz last season, plenty were skeptical/worried about him coming into 2014, and plenty are upset about what has happened with him so far...but only Andrewmitch seems to have an unhealthy obsession with the guy.

[/QUOTE]

LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Andrew wont be happy until every last member here hates Clay as much as he does.

It's never worked in the past, but that doesn't matter...

[/QUOTE]

if it never worked then that's too bad.  i guess there are still some unfortunate and uneducated fans that still think Crawford and DJ Drew and Beckett signings were smart moves.  But that doesn't matter........

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

JD's grand slam in the ALCS paid for his contract.  Craw & Beckett salaries are someone elses problem now.

what would you like Clay to do?  do you want the sox to trade him?  to whom and for who?  do you want the Sox to release him?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

No, no...do not get him going on JD Drew...anything but that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

JD's grand slam in the ALCS paid for his contract.  Craw & Beckett salaries are someone elses problem now.

what would you like Clay to do?  do you want the sox to trade him?  to whom and for who?  do you want the Sox to release him?

[/QUOTE]

Whoa.  Did you even WATCH that game?  You do realize that we had the greatest post season starter on the mound IN Fenway, right?  The final score?  11-2...you know that right?

Even that Craw and Beck was someone else's problem now - they were our BIG Problems for FAR TOO LONG

Buck?  What do I want them to do?  As I indicated last off season I made it very clear that the time to trade him was THEN.  Of course, I was met with strong opposition.