Topic: Manager of the year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Topic: Manager of the year

I know I may be getting ahead of myself with 4 more games to go before the all star break but I have to throw this out there to the nation of the faithful. John Farrell has come in to fenway and took this team from worst to 1st and totally befuddled all the so called baseball experts who picked our club to be dead last agreed? He is the complete anti bobby v and his years associated with Tito is paying dividends. I love his style and more importantly I love how he has taken this team and got them to play for the love of the game and have fun doing it.

My hope is that it continues after the all star break and he gets our sox into the post season.

Go Red Sox!

ps. Happy Birthday Big Papi nice tatah last night.Smile

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Topic: Manager of the year

Georom was going to nominate Terry Francona for his stellar work with the Indians but then he remembered the Georom "Francona law of managing" - Tito only gets blame when he loses, never credit when he wins....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

But yes indeed - Farrell should be considered a strong candidate at this point...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Georom was going to nominate Terry Francona for his stellar work with the Indians but then he remembered the Georom "Francona law of managing" - Tito only gets blame when he loses, never credit when he wins....

As much as I like Farrell, this team had a lot of talent to start with.

I figured they'd be in contention for a wild card spot, but I didn't think they'd have the best record in baseball at the ASB.

That said, I think what Francona has done in Cleveland is more impressive.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Though I've always been a Terry Francona guy -- I fail to see how any Red Sox fan couldn't be, given the two titles and all, but that's another debate -- it has to be John Farrell at this point. From 69 wins last year to an MLB-leading 55 just past the this season's midpoint, that's pretty impressive. The demeanor of this team is completely different.

But I cannot emphasize the words "at this point" enough. There's a reason they vote on these awards after the entire season is played.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Though I've always been a Terry Francona guy -- I fail to see how any Red Sox fan couldn't be, given the two titles and all, but that's another debate -- it has to be John Farrell at this point. From 69 wins last year to an MLB-leading 55 just past the this season's midpoint, that's pretty impressive. The demeanor of this team is completely different.

But I cannot emphasize the words "at this point" enough. There's a reason they vote on these awards after the entire season is played.

Good to see another francona guy!  I thought he should have won in 2004.  He brought a WS win to boston after all.

My husband read francona's book.  He said bukholtz was quoted as saying that farrell was tough on the pitchers and they were a bit afraid of him.  That's a good thing!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Farrell and Francona are the two guys that are in the runniung for that award.

Have to wait and see where both teams end up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Neither TERRY Or Farrell wins or loses. It's a team sport. Farrell does remind me of TERRY with the way he used Bailey in those one run games when the entire fan base knew that Bailey didn't belong in those situations at that time.  Francona's handling of Gagne comes to mind..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

[QUOTE]

Neither TERRY Or Farrell wins or loses. It's a team sport. Farrell does remind me of TERRY with the way he used Bailey in those one run games when the entire fan base knew that Bailey didn't belong in those situations at that time.  Francona's handling of Gagne comes to mind..

[/QUOTE]

Thats why they call it manager of the year. No one said they win games. They MANAGE the team. You couldnt manage a LL team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Good to see another francona guy!  I thought he should have won in 2004.  He brought a WS win to boston after all.

My husband read francona's book.  He said bukholtz was quoted as saying that farrell was tough on the pitchers and they were a bit afraid of him.  That's a good thing!

"He brought a WS win to Boston after all"    OMG, even he said that he inherited a championship team. They could have won it all the year before except for Pedro's inability to hold the opposition when he was spent.  Actually the Sox underperformed under Terry. They were a loaded team and they should have been in 2 or 3 more WS during his tenure. No team should constantly have to WIN IN SPITE OF their manager the way the Sox had to under Terry. Farrell is an absolute upgrade over TERRY and hopefully he'll completely stop doing what TERRY did when Farrell was his pitching coach. We don't want the opposition counting on the "Farrell Factor" as an offensive advantage for them the way they learned to count on "The Francona Factor" for 8 years

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

As good as Farrell has been, you have to think Girardi is as good or maybe even a better candidate.  For the Yankees to even be competitive with that ragtag roster of reclaimation projects has been a miraculous feat on his part...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The Sox won 69 games last year so Im thinking JF...but Francona is coaching for the Indians...if they stay over .500 he should be up there as well

But can you imagine how Toronto fans are going to feel? LOL  I guess the way Philly fans felt after 2004/2007

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

"He brought a WS win to Boston after all"    OMG, even he said that he inherited a championship team. They could have won it all the year before except for Pedro's inability to hold the opposition when he was spent.  Actually the Sox underperformed under Terry. They were a loaded team and they should have been in 2 or 3 more WS during his tenure. No team should constantly have to WIN IN SPITE OF their manager the way the Sox had to under Terry. Farrell is an absolute upgrade over TERRY and hopefully he'll completely stop doing what TERRY did when Farrell was his pitching coach. We don't want the opposition counting on the "Farrell Factor" as an offensive advantage for them the way they leared to count on "The Francona Factor" for 8 years

"OMG?"

'41, did you turn into a 14-year-old girl while you were gone?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

I know I may be getting ahead of myself with 4 more games to go before the all star break but I have to throw this out there to the nation of the faithful. John Farrell has come in to fenway and took this team from worst to 1st and totally befuddled all the so called baseball experts who picked our club to be dead last agreed? He is the complete anti bobby v and his years associated with Tito is paying dividends. I love his style and more importantly I love how he has taken this team and got them to play for the love of the game and have fun doing it.

My hope is that it continues after the all star break and he gets our sox into the post season.

Go Red Sox!

ps. Happy Birthday Big Papi nice tatah last night.Smile

Agreed; Farrell would be my pick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to notin's comment:

As good as Farrell has been, you have to think Girardi is as good or maybe even a better candidate.  For the Yankees to even be competitive with that ragtag roster of reclaimation projects has been a miraculous feat on his part...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

This is valid as well; also Francona.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

"He brought a WS win to Boston after all"    OMG, even he said that he inherited a championship team. They could have won it all the year before except for Pedro's inability to hold the opposition when he was spent.  Actually the Sox underperformed under Terry. They were a loaded team and they should have been in 2 or 3 more WS during his tenure. No team should constantly have to WIN IN SPITE OF their manager the way the Sox had to under Terry. Farrell is an absolute upgrade over TERRY and hopefully he'll completely stop doing what TERRY did when Farrell was his pitching coach. We don't want the opposition counting on the "Farrell Factor" as an offensive advantage for them the way they leared to count on "The Francona Factor" for 8 years

"OMG?"

'41, did you turn into a 14-year-old girl while you were gone?

[/QUOTE]

LOL!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

[QUOTE]

The Sox won 69 games last year so Im thinking JF...but Francona is coaching for the Indians...if they stay over .500 he should be up there as well

But can you imagine how Toronto fans are going to feel? LOL  I guess the way Philly fans felt after 2004/2007

[/QUOTE]

Toronto fans were killing Boston fans letting us know how bad we would be with Farrell and how good they would be. I dont feel sorry for those fans that said that. Some toronto fans can be pretty obnoxious. They sold the future for last place. LOL...Too bad, so sad.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe that francona had a hand in the 2 WS wins.  The sox had some good teams in the 86 years before his watch and no WS rings. The 1967 team comes to mind, some pretty good players on that team! I think his style of managment helped the 04' and 07' teams and I will be forever gratefulLaughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Toronto fans were killing Boston fans letting us know how bad we would be with Farrell and how good they would be. I dont feel sorry for those fans that said that. Some toronto fans can be pretty obnoxious. They sold the future for last place. LOL...Too bad, so sad.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe you can explain something to me.  Farrell didn't meet with great sucess in toronto so why were the fans so mad he left.  I believe that an unhappy player or coach will not be at their best so let them go.  Toronto disagrees with me but why?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Sorry my Sox friends, going with Girardi. I dont know how he's keeping that team above .500.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Manager of the year

does ferral lose any points

because lester stopped listening to him

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

they didnt care about JF remaining as Toronto manager, they simply felt jilted that he broke his contract to bolt to rival Boston....thats understandable imo

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe you can explain something to me.  Farrell didn't meet with great sucess in toronto so why were the fans so mad he left.  I believe that an unhappy player or coach will not be at their best so let them go.  Toronto disagrees with me but why?

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I imagine their fan base has to be really frustrated at this point, so anything/one to lay blame on seems to be how they do things, whether it makes sense or not. Im glad farrell went there first so he could figure out all the do's and dont's before he came here. No learning curve.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Sorry my Sox friends, going with Girardi. I dont know how he's keeping that team above .500.

your going with the 4th place NYY manager? Ok...Sporry, but I dont see anything impressive about that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

they didnt care about JF remaining as Toronto manager, they simply felt jilted that he broke his contract to bolt to rival Boston....thats understandable imo

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He wasnt a good fit there anyway. Some fans realized that and some didnt. IMO, No real reason to be upset...They got their boy Gibby back.

Sections
Shortcuts