Torii Hunter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Torii Hunter

Ive been saying for a couple months now this guy would be a nice addition for a year or 2...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/red-sox-interested-in-torii-hunter.html

Its always nice to have a couple vets that can still produce in a clubhouse with a bunch of young players...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Torii Hunter

If we could get him for one or two years, it would be a perfect fit. He gets along well with Papi, is a veteran leader, can play anywhere in the outfield and seems to still be able to hit a little. Plus softlaw would go apopleptic and he's so cute when he does that...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Tell you what, he is a good ball player at the same time he is a good clubhouse person.  But do you think he can play entire season without getting hurt which it is been a while to see him to get hurt?  Also he had a career low HR's, BB's and career high SO's.  Still he had a career high batting average.  Guess he is changing his hitting approach like instead he is swing for power, he just goes for base hit.

Yes he is a better defender in the OF than most available free agents.

Still I do not think he is going to just take one year deal cuz he is 37 years of age, and he know that he is soon to be retiring.  So therefore, he would look for a 2 to 3 years contract to finish out his career!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I've lost a lot of interest in baseball since the free agency thing.  I've always been a fan of watching the farm teams develop talent and then move them up.  It's to costly to do that now because all your investment ends up with another team willing to pay more money.  It's just not the same buying talent that is only looking for more money.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to MichFan's comment:

I've lost a lot of interest in baseball since the free agency thing.  I've always been a fan of watching the farm teams develop talent and then move them up.  It's to costly to do that now because all your investment ends up with another team willing to pay more money.  It's just not the same buying talent that is only looking for more money.

Let's face it--baseball's free agency has helped a large market like the Red Sox a lot.  

Imagine how the Oakland A's feel like.  LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

True...but if Red Sox stay the way they have been from 70's to 90's while the Yankees can continue to do whatever that they want to, Red Sox would continue to stay on 86 years world series drought.   Good thing they finally do the samething as the Yankees have been doing over these years, and they won two WS titles.

If you hate free agency, then you should hate NBA, NFL, NHL too!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

True...but if Red Sox stay the way they have been from 70's to 90's while the Yankees can continue to do whatever that they want to, Red Sox would continue to stay on 86 years world series drought.   Good thing they finally do the samething as the Yankees have been doing over these years, and they won two WS titles.

If you hate free agency, then you should hate NBA, NFL, NHL too!!!

I agree with you.  In 2004, Boston brought in Schilling and Foulke (Oakland made a great effort to keep him but Boston outbid Oakland).

This is what I tell fans from small market teams, "Don't hate the player, hate the game."  LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

It seems like it's either Ross or Torii for RF in 2013.  I would take Brentz who has been tearing up in the AFL recently.  Ellsbury (if not traded), Torii, and Brentz would make one of the top OFs in the league in 2013. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I would have considered Torii on a one year deal, no question.  But now Softy has informed me that, contrary to the widely held belief that Hunter is a great teammate, veteran leader, great with kids and the comminity at large, he is actually a bigoted racist, I am having second thoughts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Ive been saying for a couple months now this guy would be a nice addition for a year or 2...

Its always nice to have a couple vets that can still produce in a clubhouse with a bunch of young players...

I've been with you on Hunter, as I think he is a perfect fit in right for his defense alone.  There is no way they would let Ross play right full time even if they do sign him, so I don't think it's an either/or.  The problem is that he may be more costly than we think.  The Yankees, Tigers, Rangers, Braves & many other teams will probably be in on him.  He lives in Dallas, which will likely make Texas very attractive to him.  He'll also likely get at least a 2 year deal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I would have considered Torii on a one year deal, no question.  But now Softy has informed me that, contrary to the widely held belief that Hunter is a great teammate, veteran leader, great with kids and the comminity at large, he is actually a bigoted racist, I am having second thoughts.

Anyone who says that(Softy..whoever the heck he is) or progresses these kind of lies should think twice about what they are doing.... its absolutely shameful and has no basis...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would consider him on a 1 yr deal, thats it. we dont need another mike cameron.(which hunter very well could be). If brentz continues to mash in the AFL and does well in spring training, i would say give him a shot to be a starter. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

i would consider him on a 1 yr deal, thats it. we dont need another mike cameron.(which hunter very well could be). If brentz continues to mash in the AFL and does well in spring training, i would say give him a shot to be a starter. 

And if Brentz doesn't, what is your backup plan?  Are you saying we should never sign another free agent outfielder again because Cameron got injured and didn't work out?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

Brentz is killing it in the AFL...In 13 games hes 16 for 50 9 runs 2 HR 10 RBI  .320AVG .393OBP .500SLG  .893OPS...15K's to 5BB. Still a bit of of K's, but with a high OBP...Ill take it. As long as he can get on base he wont become streaky like he was...

Wit that said, you cant shy away from a deal because another deal of a similar type didnt work out. Hunter would be a good fit in Boston for a year or 2.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

He would make a good veteran place holder til Jackie Bradley is ready, or if Boegarts transitions to the outfield.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

I agree, I think he would be really good for this team and 2 years works for me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

I've been with you on Hunter, as I think he is a perfect fit in right for his defense alone.  There is no way they would let Ross play right full time even if they do sign him, so I don't think it's an either/or.  The problem is that he may be more costly than we think.  The Yankees, Tigers, Rangers, Braves & many other teams will probably be in on him.  He lives in Dallas, which will likely make Texas very attractive to him.  He'll also likely get at least a 2 year deal.

So glad you are looking out for John's money. WHO CARES HOW MUCH THEY SPEND? Geez! if only Washington was as fiscally repsonsible with our tax dollars, as  the bean counters on this forum are with Henry's.

Is the goal to build a championship team while spending the least amount of money? Is there some kind of award for that? I can see the point if there was a personal vested interest in keeping player salaries down.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

In response to jasko2248's comment:

So glad you are looking out for John's money. WHO CARES HOW MUCH THEY SPEND? Geez! if only Washington was as fiscally repsonsible with our tax dollars, as  the bean counters on this forum are with Henry's.

Is the goal to build a championship team while spending the least amount of money? Is there some kind of award for that? I can see the point if there was a personal vested interest in keeping player salaries down.

Actually, there is...I don't want to see them go into another off season where they can't sign a starting pitcher for 10 million a year and they have to trade a utility infielder to be able to sign a starting outfielder and back up catcher, because they are at the luxury tax limit.  I understand that you don't grasp how the luxury tax works, but it seems pretty ignorant to knock people who do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ike - How many times does the concept of a "budget" have to be explained to you?   I'm very concerned that the Sox are efficient with their spend...so we have money to spend on what we need when we need it.  It's not a difficult concept.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

If we could get him for one or two years, it would be a perfect fit. He gets along well with Papi, is a veteran leader, can play anywhere in the outfield and seems to still be able to hit a little. Plus softlaw would go apopleptic and he's so cute when he does that...

Not bad for a placeholder in a bridge or viaduct year.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I am not advocating the Red Sox stay out of the free agency.  If you want to compete you have to.  I just don't like it.  I don't care as much about any pro sport because of it.  I'll still root for the Red Sox and Pats and Lions but I don't watch other teams anymore.  And I will never tune in to a  NBA game.   You can't keep track of who plays for who.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

My concern is BenC's lack of action when it appears he needs to act.

He has the money to spend. He has to take action. I do realize, we as fans know very little about the behind the scenes info, but my concern is Ben just doesn't take the needed step to close the deal. 

If I'm the GM--I'm after Hunter and Ichiro. I'm looking at possibly Cabrera and Masterson from the Indians. My other pitching targets: Baker, Haren, Kuroda--I would settle for one of those three pitchers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

He has the money to spend. He has to take action. I do realize, we as fans know very little about the behind the scenes info, but my concern is Ben just doesn't take the needed step to close the deal. 

If I'm the GM--I'm after Hunter and Ichiro. I'm looking at possibly Cabrera and Masterson from the Indians. My other pitching targets: Baker, Haren, Kuroda--I would settle for one of those three pitchers.

a GM can inquire all he wants. if a player wants to shop around and see what other teams are willing to give him that takes time. everyone is so quick to blame any and all obstacles regarding GM moves on ben. lets give the man some time to work. if by feburary there are still huge holes on the roster then lets light the torches and sharpen our mob tools.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

What deal has Ben been too slow to act on?  Your second paragraph says it all.  Fans have no idea what's going on.  The Sox Front Office has a Plan A,B,C etc...Let it play out.  It's been 3 days. 

By the way, the 3 pitchers you mention?  Baker wants to stay in Minnesota, so he's not going to sign with the Sox 3 days into Free Agency.  Kuroda has said it's one more year with the Yankees or back to Japan (Dodgers outside shot), so he's not coming to Boston and the rumors are the Haren deal to the Cubs fell through because of injury concerns. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

That right there Mad, says it all. There is so much more information they have access to that we as fans never will. This is a process and it takes time. More time than some fans would like unfortunately. BC knows how this process works. Hes not some green novice at this, although some here would like to think so. Now, if Feb. rolls around and were still missing a couple pieces to the puzzle, then I would starts making some noise...

Jasko also hit on the low possibility of each of the pitchers you mentioned. Not sure the fascination with Masterson...Hes a bottom of the rotation pitcher...Best suited in the bullpen IMO.

Sections
Shortcuts