Tornados in Mass. and the East Coast

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Tornados in Mass. and the East Coast

Good Morning all...i was watching on tv and reading online and wanted to say if any of you or your family are in Boston, CT., NH or any of the outlying areas where they are hitting to please be careful and i hope that you are unaffected and are ok.....

Apparent tornado hits Mass. city, injuries cited

Published June 01, 2011

| Associated Press

An apparent tornado struck the downtown of one of the state's largest cities on Wednesday afternoon, scattering debris, toppling trees and frightening workers and residents. Several injuries were reported.

Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, about 90 miles west of Boston, was treating numerous injured people, some with serious force trauma injuries, spokeswoman Jane Albert said.

Television news footage showed buildings with their top floors pulverized or sheared off. Video aired by WWLP-TV showed a debris-filled funnel roaring into downtown from the west, crossing the Connecticut River and tossing water and debris.

A spokesman for Mayor Domenic Sarno told The Associated Press there were no reports of any deaths and the city had requested help from the National Guard. Spokesman Thomas Walsh said he was looking out his City Hall window around 4:30 p.m. when he saw the funnel.

"I could see this massive cloud of debris floating around in a circular, cylindrical fashion," he said.

After the winds passed, Walsh said, he could see about 10 large trees damaged in a square in downtown Springfield, the state's third-largest city, with more than 150,000 residents. Officials also heard reports of damage in the city's South End section, and emergency vehicles were heading there.

The storm hit as workers were beginning to leave for the evening commute home. A tractor-trailer overturned during the storm on the Memorial Bridge leading to West Springfield.

Walsh said city officials rushed to the basement when the danger became apparent.

Damage at the city's Cathedral High School included some blown-out windows, said Mark Dupont, a spokesman for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Springfield. All the students were safe, he said.

The storm hit Springfield after a tornado watch was issued for much of the East Coast, including Philadelphia, New York and Boston.

Massachusetts state police got numerous reports of tornado sightings Wednesday, including in Springfield, Monson and Wilbraham. Troopers were assisting with the tornado response.

Police said there was heavy damage in spots and troopers were prepared to do house-to-house searches if needed.

Bob Pashko, of West Springfield, said he was coming from his doctor's office when the storm started and he went to a downtown bar in Springfield to wait for a ride.

"The next thing you know the TV says a tornado hit the railroad bridge in West Springfield," said Pashko, 50. "It's the baddest I've seen."

At the bar, Pashko said, the owner told people to get away from the window as patrons saw the storm on TV.

"To see it live on TV when I'm five football fields away is better than being outside," Pashko said.

National Grid reported on its website more than 22,000 power outages, the vast majority in Hamden County, where Springfield is located.

Western Massachusetts Electric also reported more than 12,000 outages in Western Massachusetts.

Connecticut Light and Power spokesman Mitch Gross said around 50 workers were being sent to help out their sister company Western Massachusetts Electric with power outages

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/01/philly-nyc-boston-tornado-watch/#ixzz1O7mphhA6

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe--. Show -The--Babe--'s posts

Re: Tornados in Mass. and the East Coast

And I thought this thread was about fenway being designated a disaster area after the white sox hurricane came through.

But seriously, I hope everyone is ok.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Morning Jete,thanks for the post.That's pretty much my hometown area and I have a lot of friends and some relatives down there.I've called them and hope to hear back from them soon.Although 4 people were killed,it's very fortunate that more didn't lose their lives.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

hey Mojo, no prob, i hope they get back to you with good news...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Hammah,J-Bay...let me know...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

condolences to the families of the 4 who were killed..FrownFrown

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Tornados in Mass. and the East Coast:
    Hammah,J-Bay...let me know...
    Posted by jete02fan

thanks for your concern Jete. didnt know if i should post it here or send you a personal messageWink I'm in southern CT, closer to NY than Mass. We didn't get any bad weather yesterday. I was scheduled to be in the Westfield MA  yesterday at 1:00pm for work. Luckily, it was canceled, although I probably would have been out of the area before the tornado hit. I always thought new england was spared the severe weather. guess not. Boston just got heavy rain last night. saw hammah had posted earlier, so think he's ok. i wondered about zac, but saw he had posted earlier too. all the best to anyone who has friends and family in the area who sustained injury or damage.

was watching the coverage this morning on NECN. a mother put her 15 year old daughter in the bathtub and laid on top to protect her. the girl survived, the mother did not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from matsuigoesMo. Show matsuigoesMo's posts

Best wishes for those who survived the tornado.

RIP for those unfortunate few who lost their lives.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Tornados in Mass. and the East Coast : thanks for your concern Jete. didnt know if i should post it here or send you a personal message  I'm in southern CT, closer to NY than Mass. We didn't get any bad weather yesterday. I was scheduled to be in the Westfield MA  yesterday at 1:00pm for work. Luckily, it was canceled, although I probably would have been out of the area before the tornado hit. I always thought new england was spared the severe weather. guess not. Boston just got heavy rain last night. saw hammah had posted earlier, so think he's ok. i wondered about zac, but saw he had posted earlier too. all the best to anyone who has friends and family in the area who sustained injury or damage. was watching the coverage this morning on NECN. a mother put her 15 year old daughter in the bathtub and laid on top to protect her. the girl survived, the mother did not.
    Posted by J-BAY
    hey J, good to hear....yeah, i saw Hammah's post, shot him an email also..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

tornado touched down one street over from my ex/kids home...i picked them up 30 minutes before it hit - their street is trashed with trees and powerlines but the house is fine...about a 1/4 mile down the road not so lucky ...2 people died and homes and a school roof blown apart...my childhood apartment in the South End of Spfld has their roof off and is a shell of itself...f'n amazing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

tornado touched down one street over from my ex/kids home...i picked them up 30 minutes before it hit - their street is trashed with trees and powerlines but the house is fine...about a 1/4 mile down the road not so lucky ...2 people died and homes and a school roof blown apart...my childhood apartment in the South End of Spfld has their roof off and is a shell of itself...f'n amazing
    Posted by georom4

Glad to hear they're all OK. Morning News reported the same, one home was undamaged; next one was leveled. it's the way the tornado bounces that depends what and where it hits....... today is picture perfect

Sections
Shortcuts