Trade Bard?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Trade Bard?

I think that is unlikely Bard is going reverse his course here in Boston. I think he would benefit from a change of scenery, and a small market environment. 

I would float his name out there. I personally love either Gordon or Butler in KC. Maybe Bard to could be part of a package to bring one of those guys back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Trade Bard?

The Sox certainly have trade bait in the bullpen.

Bard, Aceves, Melancon and Miller all probably need to be marketed, and the team probably needs to deal at least 2 bullpen pitchers for the sake of keeping the pen down to 7 arms.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Probably better off hoping we get lucky.  Should've traded him the first time we had doubts about his closing abilities.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

For what?

His value now is only in potential, which the starter experiment blew to hades.

He was among the best of the set-up men in BB ... now he's lost that.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Not a big fan of trading guys when their value is at it's lowest.  He may certainly benefit from a change of scenery, but his "value" is a lot lower than what it was at this point last year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

What would they get for him? Probably nothing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

His value is way to low to trade. He was fixed once before it can be done again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

I disagree that he has no trade value. He is young and can break 100 mph on the radar gun. How many teams have traded for a Kyle Farnsworth? I think a lot of teams would be interested in taking a shot at Bard

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I disagree that he has no trade value. He is young and can break 100 mph on the radar gun. How many teams have traded for a Kyle Farnsworth? I think a lot of teams would be interested in taking a shot at Bard

[/QUOTE]

Of course there would be a lot of teams interested in "taking a shot" on Bard, but his struggles go all the way back to September of last year.  No one is going to give the Sox a significant return on a guy who has essentially been a train wreck all season.  If he can straighten himself out, he has a heck of a lot more value to the Sox than anything they would get in return for him at this point. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course there would be a lot of teams interested in "taking a shot" on Bard, but his struggles go all the way back to September of last year.  No one is going to give the Sox a significant return on a guy who has essentially been a train wreck all season.  If he can straighten himself out, he has a heck of a lot more value to the Sox than anything they would get in return for him at this point. 

[/QUOTE]

Spot on

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I would trade him and about 3-4 others , at least.

Sweeney, Lavarnway, Ellsbury all need to go also. Sweeney let his teammates down by being stupid, punching a wall. Lavarnway showed nothing in his big chance to shine, Ellsbury and his injuries stink already. Bard is a mess and needs a fresh start. All are still young enough to be enticing to some team. We don't want them here. We want some winners, not pretenders.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bard has little value right now. Id at least see if he can regain his velocity and become what he once was before even considering dealing him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bard has little value right now. Id at least see if he can regain his velocity and become what he once was before even considering dealing him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Bard has very little trade value right now as was already mentioned by many others, but he is also still young, quite inexpensive and also not physically injured at this time.

He is well worth keeping because he will basically have the same type of risks attached to him in the spring when the Red Sox traditionally sign guys who do not yet have a spot on another team hoping that one of these guys will pan out.  Might as well look at Bard the same way for next spring when he will be cheap, young and could possibly will turn the corner back to what he used to be.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There isn't a pitching coach in MLB who doesn't think "Give me one week and i'll fix him!!"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Part of his velocity drop was more about pacing himself as a starter.

Bard certainly has trade value.  Teams trade for tools and raw ability all the time, and Bard has the raw ability to throw 100mph.

Remember former Sox draftee Josh Neighborgall?  One of the most talented raw pitchers ever (with 2 pitches scouts graded at "80" on the 20-80 scale - fastball and slider).  He spent a few years rotting in the DBacks system and never learned to control a pitch, and never made the majors.   The Dbacks took offers on him all the time, but were too afraid to risk him breaking out anywhere else.

Bottom line: there would be interet in Bard...

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Pike..you sure sound like Law...hmm

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Bard is a "broken player/pitcher", not the arm but the "head"  !!!!    Make him part of a "package" along with Ellsbury...........  Ben C. will have to think out of the BOX for sure !!!!   The payroll indicates that the day of the "FAT-CAT$ are over !!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did you pay attention and notice that he didn't get anywhere near 100 all season. His average fastaball this year by STATS, Inc. was in the 93 MPH range.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Part of his velocity drop was more about pacing himself as a starter.

Bard certainly has trade value.  Teams trade for tools and raw ability all the time, and Bard has the raw ability to throw 100mph.

Remember former Sox draftee Josh Neighborgall?  One of the most talented raw pitchers ever (with 2 pitches scouts graded at "80" on the 20-80 scale - fastball and slider).  He spent a few years rotting in the DBacks system and never learned to control a pitch, and never made the majors.   The Dbacks took offers on him all the time, but were too afraid to risk him breaking out anywhere else.

Bottom line: there would be interet in Bard...

[/QUOTE]

Then what happened from June onward when he was pitching out of the bullpen?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who was Farnsworth ever traded for?

The only guy of any consequence he was ever traded for was Zach Minor, with a career record of 25-23, and that was when he had already gotten good with a 2.32 ERA.

The bad Farnsworth was never traded for anyone good.

So the lesson from your example is that we should KEEP Bard.

Sections
Shortcuts