Trade Deadline Stuff

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Trade Deadline Stuff

So here are the teams Boston needs to be talking to in the next 3 weeks, per my informal survey of team needs around the league. 

Jake Peavy.  Best fits – Anaheim, Yankees.   Peavy is a good match for teams who need pitching but lack prospect depth.  If Jorge de la Rosa is being priced at “one really good prospect,” Peavy climbs up one more step on the Appealing Ladder.

John Lackey.  Best fits – Atlanta, Los Angeles, Seattle.  If the Sox don’t deal Lackey, I won’t mind.  But if they do, he should fetch a very good return.   Lester would get a better one, but I prefer he not go anywhere period.  Lackey will be 36 next season, and in his final year.  I can see him being moved at the deadline in a move that could help the Sox in the near future. 

Andrew Miller.  Best fits – Atlanta, Washington, Dodgers.  Miller should get something worthwhile back, but bear in mind he is only a reliever.  So adjust your expectations accordingly. 

Koji Uehara.  Best fits – Detroit, Angels, Dodgers.  Like Lackey, I wouldn’t mind bringing back Uehara, but if ever there was a sell time for him, this is probably it. 

Jonny Gomes.  Best fits – Cincinnati, Kansas City, Seattle.  If the return player is higher than A-ball, his future has probably already passed him by.

Stephen Drew.  Best fits – Detroit, Oakland.  Again, minimal, but he can be moved.  Any player can be moved.  Renteria and Lugo were moved.  Mike Hampton may have signed the worst pitching contract in MLB history, and he was dealt TWICE before it expired. 

Craig Breslow / Burke Badenhop.  Best fits – Boston.  If the Sox move Peavy, Miller, Uehara, etc., they will need some folks to stay home and pitch the remainder of the season, lest they burn out all the rookie arms before Labor Day.  The return these guys get would probably not be worth risking everyone else’s arms. 

Felix Doubront.  Best fits – Miami, Pittsburgh.   But they probably shouldn’t unless the return overwhelms them.  Keep someone at home to actually pitch in 2014.  If Miami has any interest, maybe November is the time to talk...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Trade Deadline Stuff

How about Carp to the 1Bmanless Blue Jays?

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Think about what Mike Carp commanded in trade in February 213 when Carp was coming off season when he posted a .213/.312/.341/.654 line with an OPS+ of 87 in 189 plate appearances with Seattle.

Subtract a year or so of team control and what is the trade value of the 28-year-old Carp, who this season has posted a .219/.318/.288/.605 line with an OPS+ of 71 in 89 plate appearances with the Red Sox?

The gamble is whether Carp can approach his productive 2013 numbers with the Red Sox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So here are the teams Boston needs to be talking to in the next 3 weeks, per my informal survey of team needs around the league. 

Jake Peavy.  Best fits – Anaheim, Yankees.   Peavy is a good match for teams who need pitching but lack prospect depth.  If Jorge de la Rosa is being priced at “one really good prospect,” Peavy climbs up one more step on the Appealing Ladder.

John Lackey.  Best fits – Atlanta, Los Angeles, Seattle.  If the Sox don’t deal Lackey, I won’t mind.  But if they do, he should fetch a very good return.   Lester would get a better one, but I prefer he not go anywhere period.  Lackey will be 36 next season, and in his final year.  I can see him being moved at the deadline in a move that could help the Sox in the near future. 

Andrew Miller.  Best fits – Atlanta, Washington, Dodgers.  Miller should get something worthwhile back, but bear in mind he is only a reliever.  So adjust your expectations accordingly. 

Koji Uehara.  Best fits – Detroit, Angels, Dodgers.  Like Lackey, I wouldn’t mind bringing back Uehara, but if ever there was a sell time for him, this is probably it. 

Jonny Gomes.  Best fits – Cincinnati, Kansas City, Seattle.  If the return player is higher than A-ball, his future has probably already passed him by.

Stephen Drew.  Best fits – Detroit, Oakland.  Again, minimal, but he can be moved.  Any player can be moved.  Renteria and Lugo were moved.  Mike Hampton may have signed the worst pitching contract in MLB history, and he was dealt TWICE before it expired. 

Craig Breslow / Burke Badenhop.  Best fits – Boston.  If the Sox move Peavy, Miller, Uehara, etc., they will need some folks to stay home and pitch the remainder of the season, lest they burn out all the rookie arms before Labor Day.  The return these guys get would probably not be worth risking everyone else’s arms. 

Felix Doubront.  Best fits – Miami, Pittsburgh.   But they probably shouldn’t unless the return overwhelms them.  Keep someone at home to actually pitch in 2014.  If Miami has any interest, maybe November is the time to talk...

[/QUOTE]

Great post, Notin. The only one I question is Peavy. It would be to his and the SOX advantage if he was traded to the Senior Circuit. It will lower his ERA about half a run and the SOX should get a better return. 

[/QUOTE]

Careful Bogey. Breidey might notice that you have written a baseball post. 

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Think about what Mike Carp commanded in trade in February 213 when Carp was coming off season when he posted a .213/.312/.341/.654 line with an OPS+ of 87 in 189 plate appearances with Seattle.

Subtract a year or so of team control and what is the trade value of the 28-year-old Carp, who this season has posted a .219/.318/.288/.605 line with an OPS+ of 71 in 89 plate appearances with the Red Sox?

The gamble is whether Carp can approach his productive 2013 numbers with the Red Sox.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't expecting huge returns, but with Nava and Holt able to play 1B, and Middy and Cecchini as possible long term 1B solutions, I do not think Carp is a big factor on this team going forward.

Trades are usually best made one one player has more value to another team than the one he is on. Toronto needs a 1Bman: we do not. Carp is cheap, so that appeals to the Jays as well.

Maybe we can package Peavy and Carp or Badenhop and Carp for something promising but not spectacular.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So moon wants to trade junk... why not talk lester, napoli, middle brooks, uehara ?

[/QUOTE]

I have talked about these guys over and over again.

Lester: offer him $110M/5 with a club option 6th year at $15M with a $5M buyout- essentially a $115M/5 or $125M/6 year offer. If he says no, trade him for the best packagae of prospects offered and look to make a blockbuster prospect trade this winter.

Uehara: offer $9M/1 with a club option 2nd year at $7M with a $1M buyout- essentially a $10M/1 or $16M/2 year deal.

Middlebrooks: don't sell a stock when it has reached it's bottom value.

Napoli: didn't really think of trading him, since he is under team control next year, and I think we can win next year, but with any player, I'm always open to trading, if the return value is better.

Yes, trade all the "junk" who will be free agents after this year (Peavy, Gomes, Badenhop, Miller, Drew and Ross) for the best we can get. I'm not saying this expecting to get great prospects. I'm saying this because I think getting any prospects with some promise is better than having nothing from these guys after they walk, plus we'd make room for more young players to get some ML experience under their belt. I wouldn't be saying this, if I did not think Workman, Webster, Ranaudo, Middlebrooks, Cecchini, Vazquez and maybe even Britton, Wright, and eventually Marrero can get some (more for some) time in at the big level.

Miller: trade him for the best we can get. He is not "junk". Let Doubront audition for his role over the last 2 months of 2014 and maybe look to replace Miller with a FA signing this winter.

Assuming we extend Lester and Uehara or come to an understanding on an extension, I'd enjoy watching this team close out the 2014 season:

C: Vazquez & Butler/Lava (maybe Swihart in September)

1B: Napoli? & Carp/Holt/Nava/Middy/Cecchini (maybe Shaw in September)

2B: Pedroia (Betts/Holt)

3B: Middy/Cecchini/Bogaerts/Holt/Herrera

SS: Bogaerts/Holt/Herrera (maybe Marrero in September)

LF: Nava/Betts/Cecchini/Middy

CF: JBJ/Betts

RF: Holt/Vic/Nava

DH: Ortiz

SP: Lester, Lackey, Buch, de la Rosa, Workman/Webster/Ranaudo/Wright

RP: Uehara, Tazawa, Breslow, Mujica, Doubront, & Workman/Webster/Ranaudo/Wright/Britton/Wilson/Layne

Let's get a jump start on evaluating some of these Major League ready prospects not- during a lost season- not during a season in the future, where we can't afford to try a rookie at a key position for a long stretch with a long learning curve.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with all, and will only emphasise your comments about the middle relievers e.g. "is only a reliever. So adjust your expectations accordingly" and "The return these guys get would probably not be worth risking everyone else’s arms" e.g. middle aged, middle relievers are effectively interchangeable parts so nobody will give up anything of substance for them.  

Uehara is a different story i.e. could be a difference-maker so would probably bring more...but not Addison Russell.

BTW, if the Addison Russells of the world are on offer - and they seem to be - it's a whole new ballgame.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If Drew  gets a new home---I know it's early in his career but I'd like to see what Marrero has the second half.With his college time he has more experience and at a much higher level than Xander.

What might have jogged Xander's psyche last night would have been JF pinch-hitting Betts for Xander with the bases juiced and Betts then playing RF with Holt moving to 3 B.

Why the fight trying to find a place for Xander in the Inf? His body is screaming LF.---Xander, JBJ and Holt/Betts in the OF.

Gomes going to San Fran or the Brewers would be a fit and knowing he has been on a lot of contenders down the stretch.

Nava might do well in Houston at 1B and have the versatility to help that team in the OF.

I really don't want Ross moved with the number of young pitchers coming along and Vaz needing more guidance.