Trade Dice K

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Trade Dice K

Say he gets back in mid May, give him 4-5 starts to showcase his stuff and send him to an NL contender, LA seems like a good fit. 

He is gone at the end the year anyway, might as well bolster the farm system instead of just letting him walk.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Trade Dice K

In Response to Trade Dice K:
    Say he gets back in mid May, give him 4-5 starts to showcase his stuff and send him to an NL contender, LA seems like a good fit.  He is gone at the end the year anyway, might as well bolster the farm system instead of just letting him walk.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

Depends on how things unfurl.  If the Sox do not pull themselves out of this early grave, then, sure, get what you can for him.  But, if this club gets a little mojo working, I don't think they can afford to lose a decent pitcher.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Dice K:
    In Response to Trade Dice K : Depends on how things unfurl.  If the Sox do not pull themselves out of this early grave, then, sure, get what you can for him.  But, if this club gets a little mojo working, I don't think they can afford to lose a decent pitcher.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

I thought we were discussing Dice K, then you go and bring up a "decent pitcher"? 

Joking aside, if Cooke proves to be a decent pitcher, than Dice K is only a marginal upgrade in the rotation, I get that injuries will happen and having 6+ starters is always necessary but I'm not holding out any great optimism that Dice is going to be anything different than he's ever been.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Dice K has a full no trade clause, making him harder to move, not impossible as I doubt he has an roots in Boston but it is a factor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Trade Dice K : We need pitching. We don't need to trade pitching. Let him pitch and if he walks after the season we pick up a draft pick
    Posted by thepeskypole6

Draft picks don't get me too excited.  They are years out and only a small % actually turn into MLB players.

I'd rather trade Dice to fill a need with a more proven commodity. 

I agree we need pitching but since about 2008 Dice hasn't exactly filled that need.  If he comes back and looks good, getting something for him will be the most he has contributed to this team since 2008.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Dice K has a full no trade clause, making him harder to move, not impossible as I doubt he has an roots in Boston but it is a factor.
    Posted by fivekatz

Now keeping in mind I have no basis for what I'm about to say but I feel a left coast move would be OK with Dice.  Also, he is FA after the season, so he is only going somewhere for a few months, seems like he could live with that.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In Response to Trade Dice K:
    Say he gets back in mid May, give him 4-5 starts to showcase his stuff and send him to an NL contender, LA seems like a good fit.  He is gone at the end the year anyway, might as well bolster the farm system instead of just letting him walk.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

I expect thoise 4 o 5 starts to be real good. Then what? Trade him because he's pitching well again? Makes no sense to me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Dice K : Look at the draft picks the sox gained from not signing Pedro, Damon etc...I believed those turned into Lester and Pedroia
    Posted by thepeskypole6

That is impressive and I think management thinks like you do, I'm just not really buying into the fact that Dice K is going to come off TJ and now be a vastly better pitcher than he has been the last 3 years.  Hopefully I'm wrong but if he comes back and throws well and the Red Sox are not looking like serious contenders, I think they need to become sellers and he could be a guy with value. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Posted by fivekatz

He says his family loves it in Boston.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Trade Dice K : I expect thoise 4 o 5 starts to be real good. Then what? Trade him because he's pitching well again? Makes no sense to me.
    Posted by bosoxmal

So say he pitches well through the end of the season, the Red Sox miss the playoffs and he goes and signs somewhere else and the Sox get a draft pick.  Or he pitches like he did in 09 and 10 and he doesn't really help the team anyway and then he walks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

why wouldn't other teams just wait?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Posted by Iceman4
    Urgency to win in 2012 and need for a pitcher?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Dice K : Look at the draft picks the sox gained from not signing Pedro, Damon etc...I believed those turned into Lester and Pedroia
    Posted by thepeskypole6

Under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Red Sox would receive a compensatory draft pick only if Daisuke Matsuzaka declined a guaranteed one-year contract of about $12 million, according to this release from MLB.com:

"In order to get a compensation pick going forward, a team has to offer a free agent a guaranteed one-year contract equal to the average of the top 125 paid players in Major League Baseball, an amount believed to be about $12 million. Compensation can only be given for a player who was with a team the entire year. The days of trading for a Type A free agent for two months merely for the compensation picks are over."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111122&content_id=26030810

I doubt Matsuzaka would turn down the guaranteed $12 million contract.

The Red Sox took Clay Buchholz and Jonathan Egan with the Pedro Martinez compensatory draft picks and Daniel Bard and Kris Johnson with the Johnny Damon compensatory draft picks. Jon Lester and Dustin Pedroia were not drafted with a compensatory picks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Posted by Iceman4

Why didn't the Red Sox just wait for Agone?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Dice K : Under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Red Sox would receive a compensatory draft pick only if Daisuke Matsuzaka declined a guaranteed one-year contract of about $12 million, according to this release from MLB.com: "In order to get a compensation pick going forward, a team has to offer a free agent a guaranteed one-year contract equal to the average of the top 125 paid players in Major League Baseball, an amount believed to be about $12 million. Compensation can only be given for a player who was with a team the entire year. The days of trading for a Type A free agent for two months merely for the compensation picks are over." http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111122&content_id=26030810 I doubt Matsuzaka would turn down the guaranteed $12 million contract. The Red Sox took Clay Buchholz and Jonathan Egan with the Pedro Martinez compensatory draft picks and Daniel Bard and Kris Johnson with the Johnny Damon compensatory draft picks. Jon Lester and Dustin Pedroia were not drafted with a compensatory picks.
    Posted by hill55

Thanks Hill.

18. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts