trade Ellsbury before the season starts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

trade Ellsbury before the season starts

I think the Sox pass on him after this year and certainly this is NOT a championship ballclub. So with Bradley jr emerging, we can get significant prospect for Ells, so pull the trigger, Bradley jr is ready

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Re: trade Ellsbury before the season starts

Not a terrible idea, but it sounds like he was shopped all winter. The offers weren't great. All trade ideas look great on message boards "Get rid of Lackey," but the real world involves other teams.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to jader's comment:

I think the Sox pass on him after this year and certainly this is NOT a championship ballclub. So with Bradley jr emerging, we can get significant prospect for Ells, so pull the trigger, Bradley jr is ready

What team would trade a "significant prospect" for Jacoby Ellsbury?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

In response to Wolfpack13's comment:

Not a terrible idea, but it sounds like he was shopped all winter. The offers weren't great. All trade ideas look great on message boards "Get rid of Lackey," but the real world involves other teams.

Are we discussing Ellsbury or Lackey here? Can you provide links in respect to who was shopped and what the offers were?

I'll discuss both...

Ellsbury stays til trade deadline(June), which is good.. show he is healthy in a contract year... and he will do just that.  But he will be moved.  Future draft pick and AA stud in return. He wants too much money with a long term contract to keep here in Boston.

Lackey...  We own him.  Might as well see if he canbe a serviceable #3-#5 pitcher. I can live with that.  Good upside for a #3-#5.  Think De la Rosa is gonna bump him to the #4 or #5 though.  Kid is good.

I like our future though... Good job Ben C.  Back to basics.  Bradley, Bogoerts, Webster, Iglesias with Middlebrooks,  Lavs.  Bring up the kids.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

I'll discuss both...

Ellsbury stays til trade deadline(June), which is good.. show he is healthy in a contract year... and he will do just that.  But he will be moved.  Future draft pick and AA stud in return. He wants too much money with a long term contract to keep here in Boston.

Lackey...  We own him.  Might as well see if he canbe a serviceable #3-#5 pitcher. I can live with that.  Good upside for a #3-#5.  Think De la Rosa is gonna bump him to the #4 or #5 though.  Kid is good.

I like our future though... Good job Ben C.  Back to basics.  Bradley, Bogoerts, Webster, Iglesias with Middlebrooks,  Lavs.  Bring up the kids.

he will be moved.  Future draft pick and AA stud in return.

how does that happen

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Only a fool GM would trade Elles before July. Only a fool GM.

Let us say the Sox are mired in last come July and Elles and Lester are both having adequate years, can anyone here even fathom what a play-off bound team would pay to acquire these two?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

The same type of team that would trade two for Beltran.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The team that gets Ellsbury before the season will likely get a comp draft pick when he walks next winter.

The Indians got Bauer for Choo, so I think we can get a similar prospect.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

This thread is titled "trade Ellsbury before the season starts."

What team needs Jacoby Ellsbury "before the season starts" and would be willing to trade a "significant prospect"?

The Mets dealt outfielder Carlos Beltran (and cash) near the trade deadline in 2011 for one top prospect in righthander Zack Wheeler.

At the height of the Hot Stove Season, the Indians in December traded outfielder Shin-Soo Choo and others in a three-team deal for righthander Trevor Bauer and others.

I suspect the market for Jacoby Ellsbury is thin during Spring Training.

Returning to my original question, what specific team would trade a "significant prospect" for Jacoby Ellsbury before the season starts?

For example, would the Texas Rangers trade lefthander Martin Perez, a fading prospect, for Ellsbury? I doubt that would happen. A well-run club such as the Rangers won't panic just because the team opens Spring Training with a 1-6 record.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

This thread is titled "trade Ellsbury before the season starts."

What team needs Jacoby Ellsbury "before the season starts" and would be willing to trade a "significant prospect"?

The Mets dealt outfielder Carlos Beltran (and cash) near the trade deadline in 2011 for one top prospect in righthander Zack Wheeler.

At the height of the Hot Stove Season, the Indians in December traded outfielder Shin-Soo Choo and others in a three-team deal for righthander Trevor Bauer and others.

I suspect the market for Jacoby Ellsbury is thin during Spring Training.

Returning to my original question, what specific team would trade a "significant prospect" for Jacoby Ellsbury before the season starts?

For example, would the Texas Rangers trade lefthander Martin Perez, a fading prospect, for Ellsbury? I doubt that would happen. A well-run club such as the Rangers won't panic just because the team opens Spring Training with a 1-6 record.

All it takes is the right injury to re-open the market for Ellsbury.

However, with the AL EAst as wide open as it is, I doubt the Sox have thrown in the towel as quickly as many of their fans...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Hill doesn't have a clue on this issue. The prospects of a season from Ellsbury, plus draft compensation at the end, will net several offers that include a top tier prospect. Do the math.

We're on about Day 150 of this forum's campaign to trade Jacoby Ellsbury this offseason while potential draft compensation remains attached. Perhaps the Sox have turned down multiple offers of top-tier prospects for Jacoby Ellsbury ... perhaps not.

The Red Sox have until Opening Day to trade Ellsbury with the potential compensation pick attached.

What are the chances the Red Sox trade Ellsbury before Opening Day? 75 percent? 50 percent? 25 percent? I place the chances at about 5 percent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to notin's comment:

All it takes is the right injury to re-open the market for Ellsbury.

Or the wrong injury to Jacoby Ellsbury to close the market.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

hill55 is the rain that falls on our parade.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Hill doesn't have a clue on this issue. The prospects of a season from Ellsbury, plus draft compensation at the end, will net several offers that include a top tier prospect. Do the math.

We're on about Day 150 of this forum's campaign to trade Jacoby Ellsbury this offseason while potential draft compensation remains attached. Perhaps the Sox have turned down multiple offers of top-tier prospects for Jacoby Ellsbury ... perhaps not.

The Red Sox have until Opening Day to trade Ellsbury with the potential compensation pick attached.

What are the chances the Red Sox trade Ellsbury before Opening Day? 75 percent? 50 percent? 25 percent? I place the chances at about 5 percent.

I think about 0%.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Elles value will be max this summer.... certainly it will be no less than it is now but chances are if healthy it will be very high summertime.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The real question that begs to be answered is not whether Sox will, could or should have traded Ellsbury for a bucket of balls. It's are we a better team with or without him in the lineup...Heathly you can pretty much expect gold glove level defense in center and if he returns to his norm should hit 290ish with 40 steals. Given all of the other questions in our everyday lineup entering this offseason. I'd say that given that he's still in camp, the answer is with....For now?

That said, the Sox could still trade him during the spring or once the season begins...What none of us know is if Cherington has during his discussions with the other 29 GM's discussed the what if's and or the contingencies of the parameters of a trade. Thierin lyes the real story...

Clearly Ellsbury was avaliable this offseason it's also clear that no team made Cherington an offer he couldn't refuse. Fact is that Ellsbury's injury history and his lackluster perfromance after returning from injury last season. Have had an ill effect on his market value both in terms of trade value and unless he shows himself healthy and returns to form this year it will also impact his market value as a free agent. He's know it, Boras Know's it, the Sox ownerships know's it, every GM in the game know's it, we the fan if we are honest with ourselves know it too. Trading Ells now would be selling low...if he starts the year out hot his value will then begin to rise, if he maintains it until July, the needle moves to white hot. Add an injury to a contender and or a team like Seattle struggling to score and you've got the making of a deal. Just saying...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Only a fool GM would trade Elles before July. Only a fool GM.

Let us say the Sox are mired in last come July and Elles and Lester are both having adequate years, can anyone here even fathom what a play-off bound team would pay to acquire these two?

Exactly. After last year's disaster, I would say Ellsbury's trade value right now is at an all time low. There's no sense in trading him immediately for a bucket of balls, unless of course you're softlaw. Not to mention the fact that this team could still win. I say hang onto him for now and reevaluate in July.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Elles value will be max this summer.... certainly it will be no less than it is now but chances are if healthy it will be very high summertime.

The issue is if Ells is having a big season and the Sox are already out of contention, what is Ells worth considering the Boras factor? I can't see any team offering up a top tier prospect with cost control for half a season of Ells, unless there is some certainty of signing Ells. With Boras, the certainty mid season prior to free agency is zero. 

Isnt Hill correct? Ells clearly has been available, and the Sox have publicly stated that they tried to resign Ells. So far nothing. The Sox have 2 options. Play out the year with him, and watch him go to free agency, or trade him for dimes on the dollar. 

I assume the Sox trade Ells today for Wheeler or Bauer. That type of deal simply is not available today, nor will it be at the trade deadline. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

The issue is if Ells is having a big season and the Sox are already out of contention, what is Ells worth considering the Boras factor? I can't see any team offering up a top tier prospect with cost control for half a season of Ells, unless there is some certainty of signing Ells. With Boras, the certainty mid season prior to free agency is zero. 

Isnt Hill correct? Ells clearly has been available, and the Sox have publicly stated that they tried to resign Ells. So far nothing. The Sox have 2 options. Play out the year with him, and watch him go to free agency, or trade him for dimes on the dollar. 

I assume the Sox trade Ells today for Wheeler or Bauer. That type of deal simply is not available today, nor will it be at the trade deadline. 

i disagree, contending teams are willing to part with their future for a chance to win TODAY. Every year at the deadline you have 1 team giving up a significany prospect for a rental.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Many chips have to fall in place:

A bonafide contender loses their CF'der, Texas, Angels, Dodgers, Atlanta, Giants, Nationals prior to opening day. Ells is having a decent to good ST--trade worked out for a top AA, AAA pitching prospect with options. 

Depending on how good the prospect will determine how much salary the Sox have to eat--for Bauer or Wheeler type prospect, a fair amount.

Prior to the end of ST ideal for both parties, IMHO.

Sections
Shortcuts