trade for Garza or stick with Workman?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

trade for Garza or stick with Workman?

Yeah, I know, Workman has had only one MLB start, albeit an excellent one, and is only a rookie.  But, he belongs to the Sox, has potential and tremendous upside, is cost efficient, and might be a more than adequate 5th starter in the rotation.

Garza on the other hand is an accomplished veteran, has had an excellent first half to the season, and would step right into the Sox rotation.  But the cost would be high with the Rangers, Blue Jays, and Cardinals in on the bidding.  Also, you can bet that Theo and Jed know just what they would want from the Sox farm.  And Garza must be considered a rental with no guarantee that he will sign an extension to his existing contract.

So what should be Ben's approach?  Garza or the kid, Workman, with other young arms waiting in the wings for their opportunity if Workman falters?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: trade for Garza or stick with Workman?

due to our place in the standings, i would always take a proven MLB pitcher. 

workman has def earned another start though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

2 more starts if they go any where near yesterday do not trade for Garza or at least do not give up any front line kids

Love the Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Acquiring Garza has nothing to do with Workman, since his spot in the rotation belongs to Buchholz.

Garza would give the Sox 6 starters, withiut Workman, of which one of Dempster or Doubront would have to be the odd man out.

1. Buchholz (assuming he is back shortly after the ASB)
    2. Lackey
    3. Lester
    4. Doubront
    5. Dempster

Does Dempster get removed since he has not done well, or do they move Doubront to the bullpen and spot start for Dempster on occasion?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Pass on Garza...Overpriced and only 2 month rental.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

Acquiring Garza has nothing to do with Workman, since his spot in the rotation belongs to Buchholz.

Garza would give the Sox 6 starters, withiut Workman, of which one of Dempster or Doubront would have to be the odd man out.

2. Lackey
    3. Lester
    4. Doubront
    5. Dempster

Does Dempster get removed since he has not done well, or do they move Doubront to the bullpen and spot start for Dempster on occasion?

Thanks for making that point. Which I was about to make myself.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

get rid of dempster, move him to the pen and make him the long reliever/ 6 -7th inning guy. He has experience as a reliever and i think he even closed at one point. he is not piching well and is hurting the pen. would rather have doubront in the rotation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2. Lackey
    3. Lester
    4. Doubront
    5. Dempster

What if Buch never comes back?

What if we need 50+ starts from our 6th starter or worse as we have most recent years?

We've been doing fine for a while, but do you really think this is a winning playoff 4 man rotation?

1) Lackey

2) Doubront

3) Lester

4) Dempster

I'm not for paying too much for Garza or Lee, but one good game from Workman and Wright should not change much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Dempster's record reflects the lack of run support / blown saves. I'm happy with how he's doing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm not for paying too much for Garza or Lee, but one good game from Workman and Wright should not change much.

We're not in a position where we HAVE to do something stupid.

Another bullpen arm, RH bat, etc.

When are we going to waive Bard? Is he still DL-7 / on the 40 man roster? Isn't his spot worth something?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think I would be inclined to see what Britton and RDLR can do out of the pen and what Workman and Wright can do starting in the next two weeks.

If we part with a prospect arm I would want it to be for someone that can help us now and into the future. Steve Cishek would be the arm I would consider perhaps for Barnes or Britton and Brentz type players. If we don't go after Lee  and if Buch doesn't come back and Lester continues his run of mediocrity---Workman, Wright, Webster and Rubby---may need some pen help.

The chip the Sox may be willing to part with is Lester. I read somewhere yesterday--how would the clubhouse respond to a Lester trade---I think it would respond favorably. I think the team is tired of his belly-aching, complaining about  B/S calls, arm feels good, the stuff is there. It's time Jon moves on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I do not think Boston will try to trade for Garza or Lee cuz their asking price is going to be ridiculous too high such as Boston may have to part away Ranaudo and Ciccichi or any top 5 best Boston's prospects.  That is too much to give up if Garza is planning to just finish the season with the Red Sox and then leave the team to pitch for someone else next season.

I would wait for a couple weeks just before the deadline (maybe like two to three days before), and see where is boston is standing at the same time to see how is Bucholtz is doing. If Bucholtz is still having a health problem, then Boston will be very aggressive toward to the trading deadline to find another starter.  It is possible that Garza or Lee could be gone by then.

Right now Boston will face 10 games against AL East teams in the next 10 days.  All Boston can do is try to win one game at a time at the same time to monitor Bucholtz among other two rookie pitchers such as Workman and Wright.  

Boston just have a little too many injuries such as Victarino, struggling Middlebrook, Drew, etc, and Boston may have a bit hard time to figure out which guy that they should go after before the deadline.  If they go after Garza, what if Iggy get into a slump or Middlebrook get into a slump, and Boston would have say, "damn, I should have gone after Michael Young instead of Garza". 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]I'm not for paying too much for Garza or Lee, but one good game from Workman and Wright should not change much.

We're not in a position where we HAVE to do something stupid.

Another bullpen arm, RH bat, etc.

When are we going to waive Bard? Is he still DL-7 / on the 40 man roster? Isn't his spot worth something?

[/QUOTE]

Ive been saying this for a month now. Hes on his way back from an abdominal injury. I think hes in FL rehabing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

I do not think Boston will try to trade for Garza or Lee cuz their asking price is going to be ridiculous too high such as Boston may have to part away Ranaudo and Ciccichi or any top 5 best Boston's prospects.  That is too much to give up if Garza is planning to just finish the season with the Red Sox and then leave the team to pitch for someone else next season.

I would wait for a couple weeks just before the deadline (maybe like two to three days before), and see where is boston is standing at the same time to see how is Bucholtz is doing. If Bucholtz is still having a health problem, then Boston will be very aggressive toward to the trading deadline to find another starter.  It is possible that Garza or Lee could be gone by then.

Right now Boston will face 10 games against AL East teams in the next 10 days.  All Boston can do is try to win one game at a time at the same time to monitor Bucholtz among other two rookie pitchers such as Workman and Wright.  

Boston just have a little too many injuries such as Victarino, struggling Middlebrook, Drew, etc, and Boston may have a bit hard time to figure out which guy that they should go after before the deadline.  If they go after Garza, what if Iggy get into a slump or Middlebrook get into a slump, and Boston would have say, "damn, I should have gone after Michael Young instead of Garza". 

For the month of July Iggy is batting .250BA .315OBP .271SLG .586OPS  .279BABIP

Were seeing the regression to the norm that everyone was expecting at some point. Well, that some point is here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

just heard amarro on the radio.  as of this minute the phillies are "buyers".  depending on the next 9 games after the break may shift that philosophy.

3 @ mets

3 @ St Louis

3 @ Detroit

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Dempster's record reflects the lack of run support / blown saves. I'm happy with how he's doing.

To state the obvious, our worst SP right now is Lester. If anyone of them goes to the pen, it should be the one performing the worst. Dempster makes a fine #5 SP; Lester, not so much.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

Yeah, I know, Workman has had only one MLB start, albeit an excellent one, and is only a rookie.  But, he belongs to the Sox, has potential and tremendous upside, is cost efficient, and might be a more than adequate 5th starter in the rotation.

Garza on the other hand is an accomplished veteran, has had an excellent first half to the season, and would step right into the Sox rotation.  But the cost would be high with the Rangers, Blue Jays, and Cardinals in on the bidding.  Also, you can bet that Theo and Jed know just what they would want from the Sox farm.  And Garza must be considered a rental with no guarantee that he will sign an extension to his existing contract.

So what should be Ben's approach?  Garza or the kid, Workman, with other young arms waiting in the wings for their opportunity if Workman falters?

Baseball should free itself of spending for rent a player...And also for overpriced million dollar-A-RODS......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

just heard amarro on the radio.  as of this minute the phillies are "buyers".  depending on the next 9 games after the break may shift that philosophy.

3 @ mets

3 @ St Louis

3 @ Detroit

The Mets are not push-overs with those young arms, going to St. Louis, then Detroit, should really tell what the Phillies will do. They are .500 I think 6.5 half out. Still in the hunt.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

Forget garza, I still remember his cocky attitude in 2008.  And who would clean up all that spit.  He is a disgusting individual and wouldn't trade anyone for two months of his act.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]Does Dempster get removed since he has not done well, or do they move Doubront to the bullpen and spot start for Dempster on occasion?

[/QUOTE]

I was going to say where is all this hate for Dempster coming from?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

dempster has not been good, he has given up far too many homers, and his numbers all round suck. he should be the guy to go or get moved to the pen. easily our worst pitcher.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

dempster has not been good, he has given up far too many homers, and his numbers all round suck. he should be the guy to go or get moved to the pen. easily our worst pitcher.

Do you ever actually watch baseball?  At all? Do you realize that Ryan Dempster has given the Red Sox 11 quality starts this year?  That's one less than Matt Moore has given Tampa, one more than CC Sabatthia has given the Yankees and the same amount as Yu Darvish has given the Rangers & Matt Cain has given the Giants.  Just a few examples for you.  It's okay to whine all the time, but at least have a clue what your whining about at least once in a while.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I would try to aquire Garza, entering the second half, you can never have too much starting pitching. That said, the qualifier is based on the quality of the prospects the Cub's would ask for in return.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do you ever actually watch baseball?  At all? Do you realize that Ryan Dempster has given the Red Sox 11 quality starts this year?  That's one less than Matt Moore has given Tampa, one more than CC Sabatthia has given the Yankees and the same amount as Yu Darvish has given the Rangers & Matt Cain has given the Giants.  Just a few examples for you.  It's okay to whine all the time, but at least have a clue what your whining about at least once in a while.  

[/QUOTE]

Laughing