Trade for Justin Ruggiano?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re: Trade for Justin Ruggiano?

Unlikely.  If Bradley gets hurt, yes.

But if he struggles early, he probably plays through it as the FO knows that growing pains do not necessarily mean the deathnail of his career. 

[/QUOTE]

I think Pedroia has opened the eyes of a lot of fans around here who were not accustomed to how many growing pains one can go through and the ultimate payoff for patience.  I think Pedroia gives a point of reference so most people are comfortable with giving JBJ some time.  There will always be the dude who wants nothing to do with it, but they are typically people who like to argue for the sake of argumentation. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But if he struggles early, he probably plays through it as the FO knows that growing pains do not necessarily mean the deathnail of his career. 

[/QUOTE]

I think Pedroia has opened the eyes of a lot of fans around here who were not accustomed to how many growing pains one can go through and the ultimate payoff for patience.  I think Pedroia gives a point of reference so most people are comfortable with giving JBJ some time.  There will always be the dude who wants nothing to do with it, but they are typically people who like to argue for the sake of argumentation. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and we saw last spring how quickly some Sox fans wrote JBJ off or decided he needed much more time to develop in the minors. Jackie only had 107 ML PAs this year, and they were scattered throught the year:

12 games in early April, 7 games around the 1st of June, 4 games in mid July, and then 14 games at the end of September. Making any kind of definitive judgement based on 4 mini stretches in MLB is not logical.

I think some here will be surprised by his defense. I agree, he looked a little tentative out there this year, but all the scouts rave about his instincts, quick breaks, and strong arm. Some have even said he is capable of winning a Gold Glove.

I hope he gets a long look, and if he needs to sit vs some tough lefties to help him out, so be it. I have a lot of confidence in this guy, but one thing worries me: softy really likes this guy. But, you know the story of the blind squirrel and the nut.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Top OPS vs LHPs by CF'ers since 2010:

McCutch  1.020

M Kemp   .984

Victorino .923

M Trout   .892

Ruggiano .891

M Byrd    .858

Mayberry .848

Darnell Mac. .819

C Young   .819

C Gomez  .811

Pollock    .811

R Davis   .809

Jennings .804

Fowler    .804

Stubbs    .794

A Rios     .792

Grandy   .792

M Cabrera .791

J Maxwell .791

Cameron  .779

C Gentry  .775

Hamilton  .762

Bourgeois .762

Gutierrez  .759

De Aza     .758

BJ Upton  .754

B Barnes  .736

B Gardner .730

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder if and what Ben offered.

[/QUOTE]

Doubtful he offered anything.  The only things Bogusevic brings are a great arm and, more important, a dirt cheap salary.

The Sox non-involvement in this probably reflects more upon their faith in Bradley and tells us a RHH CF was not really a need in their eyes.  At least not as much of one as it is in the media or on message boards.

Or maybe it means they like Franklin Gutierrez more.

[/QUOTE]

Or maybe they are okay with moving Shane to CF and Nava to RF, if JBJ struggle mightily.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup, he'd have to be terrible before they'd give up on him.  And Carp and Nava were part of a great bench last year.  We weren't going to break that up.  A switchhiter with a .831 OPS at minimum wage, and a 1B/LF with good splits with a .885, and 3 control years left?

Why would anyone want to break that up?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fish are looking for a trade partner..He fits the bill for what we need. Hes arb number looks to be about 1.8M for 2014. He does very well in a platoon role. hes played most of his games in CF, but can play all OF positions. is a RHH with some pop (18HR in 128games last year/ 13 in 91games in 2012).

[/QUOTE]

He is just like carp or Gomes or Nava who can play many positions.  Why the world Boston need another player like him??

Boston is more likely going to trade for an every day player who can play in the same spot in all year along such as  CF or SS!!

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Because Nava is  the worst clutch hitter on our team and needs to go

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Or maybe they are okay with moving Shane to CF and Nava to RF, if JBJ struggle mightily.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I didn't mean to imply JBJ would be on a short list. I agree he will be given a long look, but at some point, if he is struggling very badly by July or August, and we are in a playoff race, the move could be made, or a trade could be made to replace JBJ or compliment him with a platoon player (assuming he is doing OK vs RHPs and fielding well).

Yup, he'd have to be terrible before they'd give up on him.  And Carp and Nava were part of a great bench last year.  We weren't going to break that up.  A switchhiter with a .831 OPS at minimum wage, and a 1B/LF with good splits with a .885, and 3 control years left?

Why would anyone want to break that up?

It is a very nice group of 3, however the Nava/Gomes LF platoon didn't really work out as planned in 2013 in a number of areas.

1) The two of them only started in LF 121 times combined. Nava had to play RF and 1B a number of times. The plan was to hope for 162 games.

2) Nava played against LHPs more than expected, and Gomes played against RHPs more than expected due to injuries to Ellsbury and Victorino.

3) Gomes did not do as well as expected vs LHPs. He had been superb vs lefties in recent years, Surprisingly,  he actually did better than expected vs RHPs. Nava did very well vs RHPs as expected.

4) Nava, Gomes or Carp in RF were scary defensively.

5) Victorino is fine in CF, but I think it's best to keep him in RF as much as possible.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jader's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Because Nava is  the worst clutch hitter on our team and needs to go

[/QUOTE]

Here are his career numbers:

Overall: .782

RISP:  .814

2 outs RISP: .785

Within 2 runs: .778

Late & Close: .617

High Leverage: .685

(Note: most players have a worse OPS in the clutch than overall.)

Overall  RISP   Late & Close  High Leverage

D Nava     .782     .814       .617        .685

Victorino   .774    .756       .773          .700

D Ortiz      .930   .944       .875           .936

Napoli       .859   .844       .778           .796

Gomes      .788   .850       .692           .775

Reggie 

Jackson   .846    .856      .804           .855

'13 Sox    .795   .794      .694            .747

I'm not saying Nava is Mr. October, but calling him the worst clutch hitter on the team is a bit of a stretch.

2013 Sox  

Late & Close  / +- from overall

.902 Gomes    +131

.728 Middy      +32

.725 Nava       -106

.724 Carp       -161

.707 Napoli    -135

.700 Ellsbury   -81

.699 Ortiz       -260

.690 Pedey     -97

.684 Vict        -117

.683 Salty      -121 

.629 Drew      -148

High Leverage:

.948 Gomes    +177

.847 Ortiz       -112

.821 Pedey     +34

.806 Napoli     -36

.802 Vict         +1

.777 Nava      -54

.759 Drew     -18

.723 Ellsbury  -58

.661 Carp      -223

.597 Middy    -101

.533 Salty    -171

I see a few hitters worse than Nava when it counted this year.

Sections
Shortcuts