Trade for RA Dickey?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Trade for RA Dickey?

Should the Sox try and pull off a trade for Dickey? I know the Mets wanted Boegarts and Bradley, but maybe if the sox could get them down on the asking price should they do it? Maybe this could be the starting 5 next year:

Dickey
    Lester
    Buch
    Dempster
    Lackey/Doubront

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: Trade for RA Dickey?

not worth the prospects.....unless they go down from their asking price big time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

not worth the prospects.....unless they go down from their asking price big time.

[/QUOTE]

Prospects? Ive heard all the talk about our propects and how good they are but they mostly turn out to be nothing or at the most, average..... with Dickey you have a proven...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

I heard on Hardballtalk that the Mets are talking with the Blue Jays, but they are  being held up because Dickey refuses to sign a contract Extension with Toronto. J.P Arencebia and Anthony Gose are reported as some of the players that would be going back to the Mets. The sox Should offer salty and Some comparable prospects for Dickey IF they can get him to sign an extension. I wouldnt be comfortable with just giving Big prospects for 1 year of Dickey.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

I heard on Hardballtalk that the Mets are talking with the Blue Jays, but they are  being held up because Dickey refuses to sign a contract Extension with Toronto. J.P Arencebia and Anthony Gose are reported as some of the players that would be going back to the Mets. The sox Should offer salty and Some comparable prospects for Dickey IF they can get him to sign an extension. I wouldnt be comfortable with just giving Big prospects for 1 year of Dickey.

One year of Jarrod Saltalamacchia at a projected salary of $3.9 million won't have much trade value.

An offer comparable to J.P. Arencibia and Anthony Gose might be Jackie Bradley and Ryan Lavarnway.

Bradley and Gose, who are both 22 years old, were ranked No. 32 and No. 38, respectively, in Baseball America's midseason prospect rankings after the BA preseason rankings had Gose No. 39 and Bradley unranked. Despite his hitting woes at the MLB level, the 25-year-old Lavarnway probably has more value than the 26-year-old Arencibia because the latter remains under his team's control for only four more seasons.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

One year of Jarrod Saltalamacchia at a projected salary of $3.9 million won't have much trade value.

An offer comparable to J.P. Arencibia and Anthony Gose might be Jackie Bradley and Ryan Lavarnway.

Bradley and Gose, who are both 22 years old, were ranked No. 32 and No. 38, respectively, in Baseball America's midseason prospect rankings after the BA preseason rankings had Gose No. 39 and Bradley unranked. Despite his hitting woes at the MLB level, the 25-year-old Lavarnway probably has more value than the 26-year-old Arencibia because the latter remains under his team's control for only four more seasons.

[/QUOTE]

Good Points hill. The red sox Should just be in on this, If just only to keep him away from toronto.  Not only that but that but it seems the Mets asking price has come down a bit. When the Sox first talked to them they where asking for JBJ AND Boegarts. If we could get him for JBJ and Lavarnway plus maybe a few mid level prospects that would be a hell of a steal. 5 mill this year and whatever he signs for and extension(Probably no more than two years and say 30 million) would be the bargain of the century Considering what Grienke just got.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I wouldn't want to see any of the Killer B's go, but I would send either Salty or Lavarnway and either Doubront or Morales and a solid bullpen arm. You have to throw your hat in the ring for him, as he'sa solid pitcher as well as a great clubhouse presence. But at his age you don't give up the farm for him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox4life2280. Show sox4life2280's posts

I would rather see them go after Mike Trumbo in a trade now that Hamilton signed with the Angels, especially if the Napoli deal falls apart.  I would much rather have a young Trumbo playing 1B than Napoli.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If Dickey can be had for Lavarnway and Bradley it is worth considering. Bradley is a tough loss but he is still justa prospect. The Sox still have Kalish and would also have a very mmovable Doubront.

Dickeid the closest thing to an ace that is available.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldn't want to see any of the Killer B's go, but I would send either Salty or Lavarnway and either Doubront or Morales and a solid bullpen arm. You have to throw your hat in the ring for him, as he'sa solid pitcher as well as a great clubhouse presence. But at his age you don't give up the farm for him.

[/QUOTE]

Too much for one year of Dickey, IMO.  Dubront is a young, promising pitcher with several more years of control (4-5, I think??).  Tough to give up for one year of another pitcher - though a good one.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Need to be careful here.  Dickey had a great year, but he is an aging knuckleballer who has not always been successful.  I would not give up too much to get him.  If Bradley is being groomed as our future centerfielder , then he should not be dealt for a guy like Dickey.  Dickey is no sure bet to be a winner in the A.L.   This is the problem with passing on free agents and trying to improve through trades.  You still pay the big bucks , plus you lose prospects. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Catcher Travis d'Arnaud is being discussed, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports:

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/279752357133295616

d'Arnaud is up in Xander Bogaerts territory in terms of prospect rankings.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Why give up anything for a 38 year old knuckleballer who could fall apart and be awful. There is no guarantee he does what he did in 2012. And he's 38.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Dickey can be had for Lavarnway and Bradley it is worth considering. Bradley is a tough loss but he is still justa prospect. The Sox still have Kalish and would also have a very mmovable Doubront.

[/QUOTE]

?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

?

[/QUOTE]

With Dickey and Dempster in the rotation will be two pitchers that can eat up innings. Giving the bull pen more strenght. Dickey Lester Bucholtz Lackey Dempster.

The NYM are looking for youth/prospects Doubront Lavarnway and ? will get the mets attention. The Sox get a pitcher that be a possible #1 starter that can eat up innings. The Mets in return will get a starting pitcher with MLB experience, a potential catcher with MLB that will need some fine tuning.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

?

[/QUOTE]

With Dickey and Dempster in the rotation will be two pitchers that can eat up innings. Giving the bull pen more strenght. Dickey Lester Bucholtz Lackey Dempster.

The NYM are looking for youth/prospects Doubront Lavarnway and ? will get the mets attention. The Sox get a pitcher that be a possible #1 starter that can eat up innings. The Mets in return will get a starting pitcher with MLB experience, a potential catcher with MLB that will need some fine tuning.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

?

[/QUOTE]

Pardon my typing.  This was the fisrt of two posts sent from the Samsung Galaxy.  Not easy to type on a keybaord the size of a postage stamp.  also, if I say something I decide is ambiguous and not representative of my opinion - to heck with it.  I am NOT editing messages on that thing!

If you are questioning my inclusion of Dickey as an ace, well, he is.  I asked for some criteria of an "ace" on another thread.  alibiike answered that an ace is the following:

ERA under 3.

WHIP around 1.00

Goes over 200IP.

Gives you 7 innings per start.

I did not know what WHIP around 1.00 meant, so I assumed 1.1 and ran some numbers over the past 3 seasons.  The only aces in MLB were Lee, Halladay and Verlander.  I had to open the WHIP up to 1.15 to squeeze Felix Hernandez in, because no definition of an ace should exclude Felix Hernandez.

Four aces (with a combined 0 World Series rings) seemed a tad small to me.

So I decided that since no one goes 7 IP every outing, 7IP/start should at least mean "averages 6.67 IP or more.  With that, the following pitchers are also "aces" - Cain, Hamels, Weaver, Price, Kershaw and DICKEY.

And this is all according to Alibiike, of course, as he was the only one who was willing to define an ace in a useful manner...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bradley isn't "just a prospect". He should not be traded unless it's for a top hitting young OF'er, as no one is giving a top young pitcher for him.

I love this.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Dickey is hardly a bum. He has had a good ERA and WHIP for the past 3 seasons. The season before that was OK, certainly better than our present pitching staff.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Not happening, we made our pitching splash, Dempster. Its all over The radio that Toronto is after him now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bradley isn't "just a prospect". He should not be traded unless it's for a top hitting young OF'er, as no one is giving a top young pitcher for him.

Dickey's a bum, plain and simple. The Mets are taking their trash out, which includes Dickey. The time to buy Dickey is after he stinks it up for a season, which he will.

[/QUOTE]

1. Bradley really is just a prospect.  At  this point, is his future any more of a guarantee than Lars Anderson was?

2.  I did think about editing that anyway, because I knew some idiot would comment on it.  But hey, Galaxy postage stamp keyboard.  Not editing.

3.  Yes, Dickey is a "bum" who has outpitched every Major Leaguer save 9 names over the past 3 years.  

4.  If your mind gets any more closed,  you are going to start disagreeing with yourself.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dickey's a bum, plain and simple. The Mets are taking their trash out, which includes Dickey. The time to buy Dickey is after he stinks it up for a season, which he will.

[/QUOTE]

Disagree

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The stale "eats innings" has surpassed the overworked " dirt dog " as the most ridiculous euphemism for lack of talent. Results are what matters. In baseball , results are wins and losses. We have not been doing very well in that area. We need some winners. 

Sections
Shortcuts