Trade for RA Dickey?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Trade for RA Dickey?

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The stale "eats innings" has surpassed the overworked " dirt dog " as the most ridiculous euphemism for lack of talent. Results are what matters. In baseball , results are wins and losses. We have not been doing very well in that area. We need some winners. 

[/QUOTE]

I had a post half typed out saying the same thing and realized I would be talking to blockheads and decided not to waste my time.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michaelkayn. Show Michaelkayn's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1. Bradley really is just a prospect.  At  this point, is his future any more of a guarantee than Lars Anderson was?

Yes, his future is "any more a guarantee than Lars Anderson was". Bradley, Jr. is a legitimate defensive talent of such proficiency that there is no doubt he'll start numerous years in  MLB if he's not seriously injured.

I'd love to do business with you.

The Mets are getting rid of Dickey, that's a fact. He doesn't have a big market long term at his age and with the garbage he throws. The Mets could talk contract with him, but, instead, they are taking him out with the garbage. And the Mets, as incompetent as they have been, will be delighted when they get rid of Dickey for way more than the bum is worth.

[/QUOTE]

You sure do like to call some of the best Major League players "bums"

I think trading JBJ or any other top ranked prospect for Dickey is a bad idea, but the fact is the guy has been as good as almost anyone the last three years and just won the Cy Young.

Is there anyone who is not a bum in your oppinion? please name one player who you actually have some respect or admiration for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Calling a player a bum is a time honored tradition in baseball. It is not to be taken literally. The fact is that Dickey is an aging knuckleballer who is seeking a big contract. To trade anything of value for him is just not very smart.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Michaelkayn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

1. Bradley really is just a prospect.  At  this point, is his future any more of a guarantee than Lars Anderson was?

Yes, his future is "any more a guarantee than Lars Anderson was". Bradley, Jr. is a legitimate defensive talent of such proficiency that there is no doubt he'll start numerous years in  MLB if he's not seriously injured.

The Mets are getting rid of Dickey, that's a fact. He doesn't have a big market long term at his age and with the garbage he throws. The Mets could talk contract with him, but, instead, they are taking him out with the garbage. And the Mets, as incompetent as they have been, will be delighted when they get rid of Dickey for way more than the bum is worth.

[/QUOTE]

I think trading JBJ or any other top ranked prospect for Dickey is a bad idea, but the fact is the guy has been as good as almost anyone the last three years and just won the Cy Young.

Is there anyone who is not a bum in your oppinion? please name one player who you actually have some respect or admiration for.

[/QUOTE]

Last year it was Kemp, this year he has a hard on for J. Upton...Next year he will be obsessed with someone else, But will not have Ellsbury here to offer in another unrealistic trade scenario to get said player. Looks like he will have to find a new punching bag on the Sox after 2013.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Michaelkayn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Last year it was Kemp, this year he has a hard on for J. Upton...Next year he will be obsessed with someone else, But will not have Ellsbury here to offer in another unrealistic trade scenario to get said player. Looks like he will have to find a new punching bag on the Sox after 2013.

[/QUOTE]

I get it, We can trade JBJ but it has to be a softlaw approved trade. Never should we trade JBJ for a #1 like R.A Dickey. When its not something Softlaw would do he labels that player that a bum. Well that Bum is close to being Traded to the Blue Jays. And Softlaw can watch that "bum" Start against us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

We should get Dickey.  Perfect fit for the Sox.  Read his book this past summer, if you read it too, you would be a Dickey fan, and want him on your team.

Word is all Jays have to give up is Travis D'Arnaud, I am pretty sure the Sox could do better than that?  Anyone know a Sox equivelent or better? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

Thank you Hill, just saw your post.     

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

[QUOTE]

Bradley isn't "just a prospect". He should not be traded unless it's for a top hitting young OF'er, as no one is giving a top young pitcher for him.

Dickey's a bum, plain and simple. The Mets are taking their trash out, which includes Dickey. The time to buy Dickey is after he stinks it up for a season, which he will.

[/QUOTE]

You are obviously clueless.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

And the same can be said for Iggy.  The problem is, what if JBJ doesn't come along offensively?  He's a prospect and that's exactly what a prospect is.  Some make it, some don't.  It's a bit of a crapshoot.

No, you wouldn't.  Because I wouldn't do business with you. You insist on having your fantasy that you're smarter than anyone else and just to protect yourself you also insist on proposing "deals" that nobody in their right mind would accept.  And since I'm in my right mind I wouldn't do business with you.

So now you're referring to Dickey, whom Notin has documented as one of the top 10 pitchers in baseball, as "garbage" and a "bum".  Well, you're wrong.  I'm not saying I'd climb all over myself to get rid of JBJ in exchange for Dickey but I'd certainly consider it.  In everyone's world but Softy's you have to give up something to get something. 

[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

He'll undoubtedly find someone, softlaw is pretty resourceful that way. My money would be on Victorino or a pitcher.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]

Dickey's a bum, plain and simple.

[/QUOTE]

Softy, 

As usual, more negative krap from you. The only bum here is you. 

Dickey has had three consecutive solid years for the Mets but suffers losses because he get little to no run support from the Mets line-up, Of his looses in 2010 in six of those he pitched 6-7 innings, allowed 1-3 runs in each and still took the loss but had a 2.84 era with 174 innings pitched. With some support he easily could have won between 15-18 games. The same is true of 2011 in which he pitched well enough to win many more games with about 8-10 more start with 6-8 innings pitched in each allowing three or less runs per game with a 3.28era in 208 innings pitched. His hit to walk ratio the last three year is roughly 4/1 only allowing about a walk per four innings pitched.

But I wouldn't expect you to do any research to find out this fellow is a pretty good pitcher. You take the trolls way out as usual and call the guy a bum. Softy, you're  a real Potz !!

Hetch  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

And to the idiot who says "what if he doesn't come around offensively" and compares JBJ to Iglesias, you deserve no response because you are clueless as to position and skillset. You'd fit in great with the incompetent Red Sox management.

[/QUOTE]

It's a time-honored tradition among bigots, zealots and morons: If you can't dispute the facts discredit the speaker.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Some people in the Sox organization feel that knuckleballer Steven Wright, who was obtained from Cleveland for Lars Anderson, has the ability to be a successful knuckleball pitcher in the Majors.  He has a similar knuckleball to Dickey, being that it can reach the high 70's with good movement.  He's had great success in the minors so far and has already had an opportunity to work with Dickey.  I'm sure having Tim Wakefield around this spring can only help as well.  He could surprise a lot of people this spring...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Blue Jays and Mets very close to a trade on this matter. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Prospects? Ive heard all the talk about our propects and how good they are but they mostly turn out to be nothing or at the most, average..... with Dickey you have a proven...

[/QUOTE]
    Wasn't Dickey a prospect at one time?

[/QUOTE]

Assume quite a majority were prospects at one time. I'd like to find out what percentage of prospects/minor leaguers, etc ever make it to the major and play for atleast 2-5 seasons either as full time or platoon players if such a stat exists !!

Hetch

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why give up anything for a 38 year old knuckleballer who could fall apart and be awful. There is no guarantee he does what he did in 2012. And he's 38.

[/QUOTE]

IMO, it is beyond ridiculous to think of trading 6 years of Bradley for one year of Dickey.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Why give up anything for a 38 year old knuckleballer who could fall apart and be awful. There is no guarantee he does what he did in 2012. And he's 38.

[/QUOTE]

IMO, it is beyond ridiculous to think of trading 6 years of Bradley for one year of Dickey.

[/QUOTE]

If we were one player like Dickey away from being a top contender, I could see some logic to trading Bradley for him, but we are not.

Joe, I respect you as an intelligent and level-headed poster, but answer me this question: were you for trading 6 years of team control of Han Ram AND Anibal Sanchez for 1 year of Josh Beckett and the salary dump of Mike Lowell?

We ended up extending Josh and Mike. We won a second ring. Although the trade appears lop-sided in favor of the Marlins, I don't hear many fans complaining about the deal that helped us win one ring.

(BTW, most Marlin top trade lists count that trade as their best trade of all time.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If we were one player like Dickey away from being a top contender, I could see some logic to trading Bradley for him, but we are not.

Joe, I respect you as an intelligent and level-headed poster, but answer me this question: were you for trading 6 years of team control of Han Ram AND Anibal Sanchez for 1 year of Josh Beckett and the salary dump of Mike Lowell?

We ended up extending Josh and Mike. We won a second ring. Although the trade appears lop-sided in favor of the Marlins, I don't hear many fans complaining about the deal that helped us win one ring.

(BTW, most Marlin top trade lists count that trade as their best trade of all time.)

[/QUOTE]

I would've made the trade, but I apparently under-estimated both Hanley and Sanchez.

Hanley was a very good prospect, but had slipped from #10 to #30.  He had just posted a .720 in AA at age 21.  At the start of 2005, I was an agnostic on SS.  I'd have no problem with either Hanley, OCab, or Renteria.

Sanchez seemed to be one of those soft tossers that excel in the minors, but rarely have an impact in the pros.

Lowell looked like a good bounce-back candidate, and Beckett had the makings of an ace, with playoff success.

In retrospect, I would not have made the trade.  Everyone points to the 2007 WS, but had we had Hanley and Sanchez instead of Beckett and Lowell, plus all the extra money, there is a pretty good chance we'd have won a WS in one of those years.

Lowell 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Dickey will make Toronto's pitching staff even better. 

Toronto's GM has been more aggressive than the North Koreans.   LOL

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would've made the trade, but I apparently under-estimated both Hanley and Sanchez.

Hanley was a very good prospect, but had slipped from #10 to #30.  He had just posted a .720 in AA at age 21.  At the start of 2005, I was an agnostic on SS.  I'd have no problem with either Hanley, OCab, or Renteria.

Sanchez seemed to be one of those soft tossers that excel in the minors, but rarely have an impact in the pros.

Lowell looked like a good bounce-back candidate, and Beckett had the makings of an ace, with playoff success.

In retrospect, I would not have made the trade.  Everyone points to the 2007 WS, but had we had Hanley and Sanchez instead of Beckett and Lowell, plus all the extra money, there is a pretty good chance we'd have won a WS in one of those years.

Lowell 

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your honest reply.

I agree with you here, but it is hard to see how we win in 2007 without Beckett's playoff heroics.

Perhaps with the money saved, we could have found a great SP.

Sections
Shortcuts