Trade idea that I know will be shot down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

Trade idea that I know will be shot down

How about Lackey, Aceves and a minor leaguer to the Dodgers for Ethier and a minor leaguer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Trade idea that I know will be shot down

Shot down? That's not even strong enough.

A guy coming off surgery with a lot of money left and a guy with an obviously bad attitude for a positive clubhouse guy, and solid OF bat. Oh, plus a swap of minor leaguers.

I won't be a d!ck, but in no way, shape or form, would this make any kind of sense, at all, for the Dodgers. Not even with magic making decisions.

Lackey needs to prove he's healthy, and prove he's productive before anyone would consider even taking his contract...nevermind sending anything in return.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Dodgers have certainly become big spenders , but I don't think they are completely stupid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A guy coming off surgery with a lot of money left and a guy with an obviously bad attitude for a positive clubhouse guy, and solid OF bat. Oh, plus a swap of minor leaguers.

I won't be a d!ck, but in no way, shape or form, would this make any kind of sense, at all, for the Dodgers. Not even with magic making decisions.

Lackey needs to prove he's healthy, and prove he's productive before anyone would consider even taking his contract...nevermind sending anything in return.

[/QUOTE]

Just an opinion, but I'd go the other way on this one and say there is no way the "Sox" consider this deal, while the Dodgers would drive Eithier to the airport.  Here's why:

I think the Dodgers would love to get rid of the Ethier contract (the Sox wouldn't take it) and plug a Tori Hunter type in right.  For a guy who has 5 years and about 80 million dollars left on his deal, he shouldn't be on the bench against left handers.  Well, actually he should.

Lackey was healthy at the end of last year and said it was "the best he's felt in years."  His remaining contract, approximately 3yrs/34 million is now more than reasonable and he's a year removed from TJ surgery.  The Dodgers are looking for pitching and have money to burn. 

Aceves, like Lackey, may not be a fan favorite, but he's got great stuff and a rubber arm.  He has some value.  I don't think the Sox would trade Lackey straight up for Ethier, while the Dodgers would in a second.  Just an opinion...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

Shot down.... you could blow that out of the sky with a straw 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sounds like a very bad deal for the Sox. Ethier is a 17M per year platoon RF'er with his sub .700 OPS against LHP. Crawford part 2, just a couple million less a year.

I think Lackey will do better this year since fixing that arm.

Aceves may be a PIA, but hes got value and the Sox know this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just an opinion, but I'd go the other way on this one and say there is no way the "Sox" consider this deal, while the Dodgers would drive Eithier to the airport.  Here's why:

I think the Dodgers would love to get rid of the Ethier contract (the Sox wouldn't take it) and plug a Tori Hunter type in right.  For a guy who has 5 years and about 80 million dollars left on his deal, he shouldn't be on the bench against left handers.  Well, actually he should.

Lackey was healthy at the end of last year and said it was "the best he's felt in years."  His remaining contract, approximately 3yrs/34 million is now more than reasonable and he's a year removed from TJ surgery.  The Dodgers are looking for pitching and have money to burn. 

Aceves, like Lackey, may not be a fan favorite, but he's got great stuff and a rubber arm.  He has some value.  I don't think the Sox would trade Lackey straight up for Ethier, while the Dodgers would in a second.  Just an opinion...

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this one.Ethier basically has the same stats as Ross had last year.  22 HRs and a .267 v 20 HRs and a .284.  Ethier has averaged 141 games over the past three years, strictly a platoon player-I'm not seeing anything there that makes him a must-have.  Lackey is not a horrible contract at $31M/3.  You wouldn't mind getting rid of it, but not so much that I would take $84M/5 back, for someone that is slightly above average.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this one.Ethier basically has the same stats as Ross had last year.  22 HRs and a .267 v 20 HRs and a .284.  Ethier has averaged 141 games over the past three years, strictly a platoon player-I'm not seeing anything there that makes him a must-have.  Lackey is not a horrible contract at $31M/3.  You wouldn't mind getting rid of it, but not so much that I would take $84M/5 back, for someone that is slightly above average.

[/QUOTE]

I actually think Lackey will do good this year. I say 14 wins.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Never a good idea to start a thread with the tittle already dismissing the premise...

That said, Lackey has little trade value until he proves himself to be A) healthy B) effective. My guess is that will take most of the 2013 season to evaluate. While he goes through the inevitable peaks and valleys coming back from TJ surgery.

Aceves however does have value. While I'm not sure that he's burned any bridges with the current front office with Farrel and the new field managers. My guess is that unless he's part of a bigger deal. He'll be a big part of the bullpen equasion next year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Could do a lot worse than Ethier. While owed a lot of $ and Dodgers don't seem to be looking to dump salary these days. A career 290 ba 360 obp 21 hrs and a good defensive outfielder not the worst thing to put in RF. Not to mention him & Pedey are best friends from college days and still vacation together might motivate another 09 season when he went 31hrs / 106 rbi's? But still believe RS will give Kalish every opportunity to win job w/ full offseason to prepare for 1st time in yrs. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

To get Ethier, the Red Sox would have to give up more.  

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Could do a lot worse than Ethier. While owed a lot of $ and Dodgers don't seem to be looking to dump salary these days. A career 290 ba 360 obp 21 hrs and a good defensive outfielder not the worst thing to put in RF. Not to mention him & Pedey are best friends from college days and still vacation together might motivate another 09 season when he went 31hrs / 106 rbi's? But still believe RS will give Kalish every opportunity to win job w/ full offseason to prepare for 1st time in yrs. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Ethier isn't a bad player, he's a bad "value" player.  People need to ask, "Would the Sox sign Andre Ethier if he were a free agent for 5/80?"  The answer is no.  He's going to be 31 and he doesn't hit lefties.  Let's put it another way...If the Sox don't seem to think Cody Ross is a good value at 3/27, how could anyone think the Sox see Ethier as a good value at 5/80?  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Ethier isn't a bad player, he's a bad "value" player.  People need to ask, "Would the Sox sign Andre Ethier if he were a free agent for 5/80?"  The answer is no.  He's going to be 31 and he doesn't hit lefties.  Let's put it another way...If the Sox don't seem to think Cody Ross is a good value at 3/27, how could anyone think the Sox see Ethier as a good value at 5/80?  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BINGO prize for your proper response

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I don't think that I would want Eithier even for Lackey.  Ethier is looking to be heading down hill, will not hit many HRs in Fenway and has lots of years left on a huge contract.

I would hope that the Sox have learned their lessons about giving such large contracts out to free agents.  There may have been a few that worked, but for the most part it is what got them into the mess they were last season.  Over paid players with long term contracts just does not seem to work as well as it used to.

Time to get younger and pay guys for their younger years rather than their older years.  As an example, I would much rather pay a guy like Middlebrooks than Ethier gambling that Middlebrooks has more to offer over the next 5-7 years and he will sign more inexpensively, too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You get second prize for proper response

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to ArtWikle's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How about Lackey, Aceves and a minor leaguer to the Dodgers for Ethier and a minor leaguer.

[/QUOTE]

If you know why say it ???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do not take this personally but i rather see Cody Ross back in a sox uniform before any other fielder on the trade market or FA get him sign ASAP.

The sox most importantly need to focus on a consistent starting rotation and a closer to work with Bailey.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bad trade.  Dodgers may not want any of these pitchers anyway....but why the world you want to give up pitchings especially Aceves could be a starter.   Lackey is probably a better option pitcher than signing Edwin Jackson, maybe Haren, Sanchez, Grienke, etc.

Either is going to struggling hitting at Fenway Park.  If he can bat right handed, maybe I can take him.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Ethier and Cody Ross would be a great platoon, offensively.  But I would say no to the trade.  The Sox need starters, so trading away any, including Lackey, is foolish (at least as things now stand with their roster).  And Aceves has value.  He should be used in a trade for a long-term OF or 1B solution, or in a deal for a top of the rotation starter, IMO.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Wrong again, oh bloviate one.  I detailed who I think the Sox whould and could give up in a trade for a top of the rotation starting pitche (and even suggested a pitcher or two that I thought fit the bil), in another thread.  Read more, and type less.  You will find it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

Ethier is worth 3yrs 36 mil. Thats it

Sections
Shortcuts