Trade ideas- what do you think?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

Trade ideas- what do you think?

This is the thread for discussing trade ideas. If you have a trade idea, bring up:
    1: Who is involved,
    2: Why it helps the Red Sox, and
    3: Why the other team (or teams, if you're going blockbuster) would do it.
     As the trading deadline approaches, the Red Sox look like they are going to make some sort of move. Will we get a blockbuster, a medium-sized deal, or nothing? Their biggest needs appear to be RF and pitching.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: Trade ideas- what do you think?

I can see the Sox trading for a RH hitting OF like Francoeur, Wigginton, Willingham, or someone of that ilk. The other teams involved would love to acquire a prospect or two to stock up for one of these guys.

Possible trades they (and I) might like to do, but probably can not pull off, would be for Kemp or Pence.

I really don't think they go after pitching...unless a LHP out of the 'pen with a decent history becomes available...I think Morales will be given first shot and Miller could end up in this role also.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

I would love to see Kemp or Pence in Boston, too, but it's not going to happen. The price tag would be too high. We would need to give Kemp tons of money, and Pence would be more than the money in my couch, too. Personally, I think that the Red Sox have the chips to pull off a Kemp or Pence deal, but are afraid to pull the trigger. They could get away with Kalish, Ranaudo, Larvenway, and Navarro, but I think that the deal breaker for that is Ranaudo. Even if it is for two triple crown treats in Gonzalez and Kemp, they are not going to dump off their two top pitching prospects in a stretch of 7 months to two mediocre NL West teams. If they do ever trade for Kemp, it'll probably be at the deadline next year, as they'll get a better look at the pitching prospect they drafted 19th overall this year and might be able to trade him or Ranaudo.
     If all goes wrong, Kemp goes to free agency after 2012 and Pence after 2013 (it would be after 2012, but they were smart about when they called him up in 07, calling him up days after the super two cutoff).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I prefer to sit back , watch the game, and let Theo have the ideas.

Some of the ideas we have here are very unreal. Most fans don't take into consideration contracts, health and what it would really take to bring the player they want to Boston.

After all, if Theo does make the trade I suggest and it turns out bad, I can't slam him for it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

ZILLAGOD, you hit the hammer on the head! However, since we are not GM, we can say whatever we want and it won't affect the team unless Theo is stupid enough to listen to some nerds behind a keyboard. When I said it would be more likely for Theo to trade for Kemp next year than this year, I didn't mean that Theo likely trades for Kemp next year. I would love to see Kemp in a Sox uniform, but, as I said, it's not going to happen. I think that the Front Office likes the idea of Kemp in a Boston uni, but won't pull the trigger because of it depleting the farm. The last time Boston was in a situation like this was in 2006 when Coco was hurt and Atlanta offered us Andruw Jones for Lester. Andruw Jones was on his way to hitting 41 home runs and Lester got diagnosed with cancer later in the year, so I'm sure most fans were ripping Theo. Look how that worked out:

2007: Lester makes an epic comeback from cancer in the second half while Jones hits 15 less home runs (41 to 26) and bats .222.

2008: Lester throws no-hitter in May on the way to a great first full season, and Jones erases any thoughts that his subpar performance in 2007 was because of the pressure of a contract year, gaining 30 pounds and having a line that Mendoza would laugh at: .158 average with 3 homers in 1/3 of a season before getting benched and, while filling in for a resting outfielder, getting injured.

2009: Lester has a breakout year and Jones becomes a backup for the Rangers.

We are in the same situation here: should we trade top prospects for a power-hitting center fielder with good speed and great defense or not? While Kemp has had the ability to hit for a much better average than Jones (Kemp .291 career and Jones .263 while with Atlanta) I think history dictates that we should say no.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I think Ryan Ludwick (Padres) could be of interest to the Sox.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

mrmojo, I am glad you brought that name up.  I agree.  He can be had for a smaller price than some of the others being talked about and there is already a relationship with the Padres.  I also think a change from Petco to Fenway would do wonders for him.  Just remember he would be just a rent-a-player.  No need to be re-signing him after the season.  He already is 32.  I haven't heard the Sox mentioned in connection with him, but to me it makes sense.

However, I think the Sox will make small moves.  A back-up CF/RF who hits right to replace Cameron (and McDonald) and possibly a left-handed reliever.  I can see them going with Reddick in RF over getting some higher priced rental.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

How about Ellsbury & Lowrie to Chicago for Chris Sale and Gordon Beckham?  Then send Sale & Beckham to Pittsburgh, along with McDonald for Andrew McCutchen. Navarro can back up Scutaro (Sutton or Iglesias in case of injury).  Reddick can play out his hot streak in right - if he falters, Kalish can take over.

Pittsburgh gets two cost-controlled potential studs.  Chicago gets one back and replaces the worst CF in baseball.  And the Sox get an upgrade in CF, plus a RH bat with some pop.  Sox payroll actually goes down, and Crawford can settle into the leadoff slot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I guess I would look for opposing teams in need of what we have to offer from our minor league system. Who's left? Who's expendable? Who's got foreseeable potential? Who isn't injured?

I would say the Dodgers would be an interesting team to trade with given their financial situation, but Ethier is a lefty ( w/ a .246 BA vs. LHP ) so thats not really an option, unless they trade him for a RH'd RF right after they trade for him. ??? Is that even possible? Miller comes to mind on how confusing things can get.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

uhhhh how about J.D. Drew and Daniel Nava for Coco Crisp :) We eat about 6 million of J.D.'s Contracts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: Trade ideas- what do you think?:
    [QUOTE]How about Ellsbury & Lowrie to Chicago for Chris Sale and Gordon Beckham?  Then send Sale & Beckham to Pittsburgh, along with McDonald for Andrew McCutchen. Navarro can back up Scutaro (Sutton or Iglesias in case of injury).  Reddick can play out his hot streak in right - if he falters, Kalish can take over. Pittsburgh gets two cost-controlled potential studs.  Chicago gets one back and replaces the worst CF in baseball.  And the Sox get an upgrade in CF, plus a RH bat with some pop.  Sox payroll actually goes down, and Crawford can settle into the leadoff slot.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

McDonald would be the linchpin to that deal....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]How about Ellsbury & Lowrie to Chicago for Chris Sale and Gordon Beckham?  Then send Sale & Beckham to Pittsburgh, along with McDonald for Andrew McCutchen. Navarro can back up Scutaro (Sutton or Iglesias in case of injury).  Reddick can play out his hot streak in right - if he falters, Kalish can take over. Pittsburgh gets two cost-controlled potential studs.  Chicago gets one back and replaces the worst CF in baseball.  And the Sox get an upgrade in CF, plus a RH bat with some pop.  Sox payroll actually goes down, and Crawford can settle into the leadoff slot.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's quite a sequence; unless you can pull the strings for 3 teams, I don't see it as likely. Plus, while McCutheon is good, he isn't worth all that; he's not Willie Mays, or even Carlos Beltran before the injuries.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade ideas- what do you think? : Wow, that's quite a sequence; unless you can pull the strings for 3 teams, I don't see it as likely. Plus, while McCutheon is good, he isn't worth all that; he's not Willie Mays, or even Carlos Beltran before the injuries.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]
    At age 24, Andrew McCutchen has been valued at 11.6 WAR* in 340 games:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mccutan01.shtml

At age 24, Carlos Beltran had been valued at 11.3 WAR in 423 games:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beltrca01.shtml

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade ideas- what do you think? : At age 24, Andrew McCutchen has been valued at 11.6 WAR* in 340 games: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mccutan01.shtml At age 24, Carlos Beltran had been valued at 11.3 WAR in 423 games: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beltrca01.shtml * Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but I'm not a WAR guy (or UZR), not that' it's not a useful stat, but it's not the be all and end all IMO. Also, you're cherry picking based on age, and Beltran was amazing in the clutch; does WAR account for that? Admittedly, I may have picked the wrong player; McCutcheon is good, but he may not even make the AS Team FWIW. Also, if he was on a team with a good lineup, he wouldn't be batting 3rd or 4th; he'd probably be batting 2nd.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

J.D. Drew for Matt Capps, eat 6 million.  Matt Capps and Junichi Tazawa for Kosuke Fukodome
    Andrew Miller and Exposito for Chris Ianetta
    Nava and Varitek for Jeff Francoeur. Francoeur and Lowrie for Asdrubal Cabrera

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade ideas- what do you think? : Perhaps, but I'm not a WAR guy (or UZR), not that' it's not a useful stat, but it's not the be all and end all. Also, you're cherry picking based on age, and Beltran was amazing in the clutch; does WAR account for that? Admittedly, I may have picked the wrong player; McCutcheon is good, but he may not even make the AS Team FWIW. Also, if he was on a team with a good lineup, he wouldn't be batting 3rd or 4th; he'd probably be batting 2nd.
    I selected Andrew McCutchen's entire career and compared it to Carlos Beltran's career at the same age with a somewhat similar number of MLB games. What would be a fairer comparison?

Carlos Beltran was not chosen for the All Star Game until he was 27 years old. Beltran, like McCutchen, played on one of baseball's weakest franchises early in his career.

This page has Beltran's career stats in clutch and high-leverage situations:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=beltrca01&year=Career&t=b

The stats can be broken down year-by-year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Like I said, Beltran may have been the wrong example. (I also think focusing on career path is not that's it all hocked up to be. Also, What about Beltran's PS?) However, I've been to 5 Pirate games in the last month; he wasn't good in the clutch, his basic #s (OBP, OPS) are good, but not otherwordly, and while he's an above average CF'er; he can't compare to Beltran in his prime. I can name a few CFers right now overall that are better than him, IMO; and that includes Ells & Granderson. Add on Victorino, Kemp, A. Jones, & C. Gonzalez.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Like I said, Beltran may have been the wrong example. (I also think focusing on career path is not that's it all hocked up to be. Also, What about Beltran's PS?) However, I've been to 5 Pirate games in the last month; he wasn't good in the clutch, his basic #s (OBP, OPS) are good, but not otherwordly, and while he's an above average CF'er; he can't compare to Beltran in his prime. I can name a few CFers right now overall that are better than him, IMO; and that includes Ells & Granderson. Add on Victorino, Kemp, A. Jones, & C. Gonzalez.
    It's not fair to cherry-pick five games.

This season Andrew McCutchen's on-base percentage is 23 points higher than Jacoby Ellsbury's and his OPS is 35 points higher than Ellsbury's:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=cf&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade ideas- what do you think? : It's not fair to cherry-pick five games. This season Andrew McCutchen's on-base percentage is 23 points higher than Jacoby Ellsbury's and his OPS is 35 points higher than Ellsbury's: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=cf&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Look, he's good OK? We just don't agree on HOW good. Let's leave it at that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Please tell me you are kidding.  So, if you were GM of the Pirates, you would trade Andrew McCutchen for Sale, Beckham, and Darnell McDonald? 

Not to mention, the trade idea with the White Sox is unrealistic enough.  The really funny apart is the inability of the White Sox to simply deal Sale and Beckham straight for McCutchen, but apparently you think  Pitt is going to insist on a 33yo career minor league OF who cannot hit to complete the deal....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]J.D. Drew for Matt Capps, eat 6 million.  Matt Capps and Junichi Tazawa for Kosuke Fukodome Andrew Miller and Exposito for Chris Ianetta Nava and Varitek for Jeff Francoeur. Francoeur and Lowrie for Asdrubal Cabrera
    Posted by zack5042[/QUOTE]

ya lost me on that one...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

theo has a streaky record of free agent signings but his mid-season trades are usually steller...let him worry about it as the Lizard King has already stated...we need to get healthy....

sounds like a broken record every year...

maybe our fitness aint the best?????

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Jeff Francouer
    Ryan Ludwick
    Conor Jackson

It also might be an even lesser OF, like Jason Repko or Travis Buck...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]theo has a streaky record of free agent signings but his mid-season trades are usually steller...let him worry about it as the Lizard King has already stated...we need to get healthy.... sounds like a broken record every year... maybe our fitness aint the best?????

Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Do you mean like the big trades he pulled off at last year's deadline or were you referring to the gagne deal?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Theo has said that the team can't spend much more without taking a luxury tax hit which means getting an impact player will do just that.   The farm system offers little in the way of trading chips.
    Maybe Theo gets lucky with some scrap heap types.

Sections
Shortcuts