Trade ideas- what do you think?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Re: Trade ideas- what do you think?

Going on the philosophy that you can never have too much pitching, especially lefties out of the pen who can throw strikes, my pick is Cory Luebke of the San Diego Padres, who is sporting an ERA of 2.80 and a WHIP of 0.95. Don't know whether Lowrie, Hottovy and a minor league outfielder would get it done, but this guy pitched well against us recently and hitters are batting only .170 against him this season. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Trade ideas- what do you think?:
    [QUOTE] This is the thread for discussing trade ideas. If you have a trade idea, bring up: 1: Who is involved, 2: Why it helps the Red Sox, and 3: Why the other team (or teams, if you're going blockbuster) would do it.  As the trading deadline approaches, the Red Sox look like they are going to make some sort of move. Will we get a blockbuster, a medium-sized deal, or nothing? Their biggest needs appear to be RF and pitching.
    Posted by b126962[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure we make a trade for a part time player if Reddick keeps hitting lefties and Sutton helps out.  We also have Lin at Pawtucket who may surprise a few people here when/if he gets the call.

I would address RF with a FT RH player and not give up any of our prospects for a temporary fix.  Same thing at SS if we feel Iglesias isn't what many thought he would be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

In Response to Re: Trade ideas- what do you think?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade ideas- what do you think? : ya lost me on that one...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]
    idk just throwing stuff out there :P

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade ideas- what do you think? : Please tell me you are kidding.  So, if you were GM of the Pirates, you would trade Andrew McCutchen for Sale, Beckham, and Darnell McDonald?  Not to mention, the trade idea with the White Sox is unrealistic enough.  The really funny apart is the inability of the White Sox to simply deal Sale and Beckham straight for McCutchen, but apparently you think  Pitt is going to insist on a 33yo career minor league OF who cannot hit to complete the deal....
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Thanks for trying to put me in my place, but a couple of notes

1) Beckham and Sale were both recent top 20 Baseball Amerca prospects.  In fact, Beckham was ranked higher than McCutchen in 2009, so yes, I think Pittsburgh would listen.  Quality LHP speaks for itself, and Neil Walker is a liability at 2B.

2) Ellsbury is a better fit for Chicago than McCutchen, as Chicago has only two LH bats in their lineup, with soon to be ex-leadoff man Juan Pierre being one.

3) Obviously McDonald is the cherry on top of the deal, but there is a family connection (cousin James McDonald) and while he is no McCutchen, he could take the place of McCutchen, and with the other upgrades, the Pirates would still be a better team.  Maybe not this year, but over the next few.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade ideas- what do you think? : Thanks for trying to put me in my place, but a couple of notes 1) Beckham and Sale were both recent top 20 Baseball Amerca prospects.  In fact, Beckham was ranked higher than McCutchen in 2009, so yes, I think Pittsburgh would listen.  Quality LHP speaks for itself, and Neil Walker is a liability at 2B. 2) Ellsbury is a better fit for Chicago than McCutchen, as Chicago has only two LH bats in their lineup, with soon to be ex-leadoff man Juan Pierre being one. 3) Obviously McDonald is the cherry on top of the deal, but there is a family connection (cousin James McDonald) and while he is no McCutchen, he could take the place of McCutchen, and with the other upgrades, the Pirates would still be a better team.  Maybe not this year, but over the next few.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Neil Walker is the Pirates cleanup hitter, who leads ALL 2B IN MLB in RBI (tied with Cano), and is on pace for 104. Considering how weak the Pirates lineup is, this is absurd. Also, I've been to 5 Pirate games this yr, and I've yet to see him make a bad play; granted that's not much of a sample size. However, he's 4th amongst MLB Qualifying 2B in FPCT (.990, excellent for anybody) 5th in Range factor (4.99), and 13 th in ZR (5.039) which I was never high on to begin with; this measure needs to be tweaked IMO. (For example, Rickie Weeks, who is a horrible 2b IMO, and always made a ton of errors, is 2nd in ZR at 5.87, and Cano is 17th at 4.708) 

Wishful thinking, and even if this wasn't the case, it's too many teams needed to perform too many steps exactly to a fan's specifications. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

NOA

Get Kemp for 3 or 4 players!

Ellsbury (not a fit with Crawford and no big FA size extension or FA contract)

Lowrie or Hassan or Brentz or Middlebrooks  (Lowrie not a SS blocked elsewhere Kemp no need for Hassan) Let them pick 2 of these if Dodgers get better offer.

Doubrant or Weiland

Dodgers cut payroll and immediately get more balance for present and more talent for future. They are one of the worst teams in baseball, right now, so the notion that this kind of deal is "giving up" is utter nonsense!

It works for both teams. Dodgers get more parts and pitching and lower current and future payroll. They have little chance of getting Kemp to agree to an extension or sigh him as a FA because Kemp most surely will want to get out from under a dark cloud that won't clear anytime soon.

Theo is probably working the phone to get some journeyman castoff RH OF'er.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Trading for Reyes is completely unrealistic. I have no idea where that sort of idea came from but anyone with any ounce of knowledge knows that would be a terrible trade. 1. This is his contract year, so of course he's playing well. (haven't we already added enough NL contract year stars?). 2. We WOULD have to trade iglesias and anybody else we have left in the farm system for him. 3. He wants 100 million dollars. How does any of that sound appealing? 

Trading for Beltran is a poor idea as well, he's got a huge contract and he's a .270 hitter at best in the NL, what do you expect from him in the AL East? We don't need another over-payed platoon player.

Cuddyer is an okay option, but he's on the downside of his career and its not worth trading a solid prospect for him when he's just going to sit on the bench once Ells and Crawford get back. 

I think the best option is to do nothing, or attempt to get rid of Drew's contract somehow.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade ideas- what do you think? : Neil Walker is the Pirates cleanup hitter, who leads ALL 2B IN MLB in RBI (tied with Cano), and is on pace for 104. Considering how weak the Pirates lineup is, this is absurd. Also, I've been to 5 Pirate games this yr, and I've yet to see him make a bad play; granted that's not much of a sample size. However, he's 4th amongst MLB Qualifying 2B in FPCT (. 990, excellent for anybody ) 5th in Range factor (4.99), and 13 th in ZR (5.039) which I was never high on to begin with; this measure needs to be tweaked IMO. (For example, Rickie Weeks, who is a horrible 2b IMO, and always made a ton of errors, is 2nd in ZR at 5.87, and Cano is 17th at 4.708)  Wishful thinking, and even if this wasn't the case, it's too many teams needed to perform too many steps exactly to a fan's specifications. 
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I'm not suggesting Walker shouldn't be in the lineup - he should just play third, where he spent the majority of his minor-league career.  You make compelling arguments regarding his defense, but I'm going to go with UZR and the fact that he played 21 games at 2B in the minors to say he's not very good.  Regardless, 3B has been a black hole for the Pirates, so picking up a viable everyday 2B and sliding Walker to third makes the team better.

Three-team trades happen all the time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Like shot at Cuddyer or Francoeur if cost doen't include Iglesias, Ranaudo, or Lavernaway.Beltran too money expensive.

And btw, Ryan Ludwick is that rare rh hitter with terrible splits against lefthanded pitching.

Might just be better to have McDonald " disappear" and Drew to get a hangnail when Crawford returns. Play Reddick and perhaps whichever rh bat currently in AAA or AA. Navarro, Lin, Chang, Linares, Rodriguez, Lavernaway, whoever.

Don't pillage the system for a rental.
    IMHO Kemp & Pence (let alone Reyes ) talk is a pipedream.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade ideas- what do you think? : I'm not suggesting Walker shouldn't be in the lineup - he should just play third, where he spent the majority of his minor-league career.  You make compelling arguments regarding his defense, but I'm going to go with UZR and the fact that he played 21 games at 2B in the minors to say he's not very good.  Regardless, 3B has been a black hole for the Pirates, so picking up a viable everyday 2B and sliding Walker to third makes the team better. Three-team trades happen all the time.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Even his UZR is at worst average, so hanging your hat with respect to Walker's defense on that is not very substantial. Also, I've never heard complaints about his defense; and your critique seems to be necessity being the mother of invention. Plus, the Pirates have a good looking rookie at 3rd (D'Arnaud) for the moment. If he bombs. then you may have a point. And yes, 3 team trades are common, I'm not stupid. All in all, I don't believe I've ever seen a trade a fan proposes ever happen; a multiple step trade proposed by a fan is even more remote pie in the sky.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Regardless of the stat wars, I would love to see Beltran hitting for the Sox in the Fens.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade ideas- what do you think? : Even his UZR is at worst average, so hanging your hat with respect to Walker's defense on that is not very substantial. Also, I've never heard complaints about his defense; and your critique seems to be necessity being the mother of invention. Plus, the Pirates have a good looking rookie at 3rd (D'Arnaud) for the moment. If he bombs. then you may have a point. And yes, 3 team trades are common, I'm not stupid. All in all, I don't believe I've ever seen a trade a fan proposes ever happen; a multiple step trade proposed by a fan is even more remote pie in the sky.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Last year was even worse.

D'Arnaud is a shortstop, so I imagine he's playing third out of necessity, rather than design.

The point of this thread is fantasizing trades - I'm not debating its likelihood, just that it is fair and makes sense for all teams.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade ideas- what do you think? : Third from the bottom ...  http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=2b&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0 Last year was even worse. D'Arnaud is a shortstop, so I imagine he's playing third out of necessity, rather than design. The point of this thread is fantasizing trades - I'm not debating its likelihood, just that it is fair and makes sense for all teams.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

OK

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

[QUOTE]Jason Giambi for Agon.
    Posted by greatestNYY[/QUOTE]

Don't you mean Jeremy Giambi?

I think a better trade is Darnell McD for Pujols, straight up.  The trade Veritek for Felix Hernandez.

Some of the people on this board need to stop taking the brown acid.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade ideas- what do you think? : Do you mean like the big trades he pulled off at last year's deadline or were you referring to the gagne deal?
    Posted by ---The-Babe---[/QUOTE]

Of course you know what he means, Babe.

17. This post has been removed.