Trade Koji Uehara To The Dodgers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Trade Koji Uehara To The Dodgers

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to stan17's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

We have a lot of money to spend this winter, but having a guy like lackey in the rotation at minimum wage is a huge plus that allows us to spend the money on offense rather than pitching.

I know Lackey's contract status is a huge plus for a team looking to trade for him also, but unless you guys are willing to pack it in for 2015 and are looking just to 2016 and beyond, I'd hold onto Lackey for 2015. I'd even look into extending him for 2016.

I'm not against trading anyone on this team, if the return value is a net plus, but I'm not looking to trade Lackey. I'm looking to first trade any player not under team control for 2015. There's enough of them to keep us busy enough without worrying about players leaving after 2015.

Sox4ever

Lackey will never play for final year of that deal.

Why not?  

Because professional athletes got to where they are because of ego's. He can threaten retirement and not lose out on any money. It's called a negotiation. He can say he's going to Japan.

I don't see him doing it even though he signed the contract. If he did threaten to do so, the Red Sox should just hold firm. He collected $16M while shelved with TJ surgery. He doesn't have leverage within the Major Leagues.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

We have a lot of money to spend this winter, but having a guy like lackey in the rotation at minimum wage is a huge plus that allows us to spend the money on offense rather than pitching.

I know Lackey's contract status is a huge plus for a team looking to trade for him also, but unless you guys are willing to pack it in for 2015 and are looking just to 2016 and beyond, I'd hold onto Lackey for 2015. I'd even look into extending him for 2016.

I'm not against trading anyone on this team, if the return value is a net plus, but I'm not looking to trade Lackey. I'm looking to first trade any player not under team control for 2015. There's enough of them to keep us busy enough without worrying about players leaving after 2015.

Sox4ever

Why not?  

Because professional athletes got to where they are because of ego's. He can threaten retirement and not lose out on any money. It's called a negotiation. He can say he's going to Japan.

I don't see him doing it even though he signed the contract. If he did threaten to do so, the Red Sox should just hold firm. He collected $16M while shelved with TJ surgery. He doesn't have leverage within the Major Leagues.

Ok perhaps he uses it as a negotiation tactic, but this is all just speculation...it's not like that is a "known" thing or there is a precedent to follow.  Lackey's contract was kinda new and unique so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.  He could use retirement as a negotiation tactic but compared to his recent track record i still think it ends up resulting in a bargain for whoever resigns him (assuming it's the Sox or he's traded) 

Regardless, that aspect of his contract should help his trade value.  Not that I want to trade him, but we should be open to it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Sox4ever

Why not?  

[object HTMLDivElement]

He can retire and hope he is successful in a lawsuit, or he can suck it up.  He has everything to gain from pitching, and everything to lose by not pitching.

Why do you assume he'd take such a huge risk by retiring, outside your dislike of Red Sox players?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Sox4ever

Why not?  

Because he would never play for that amount when he knows he can leverage an extension out of it.  He would be a fool playing out that final yr at that pay level.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

The teammates love Lackey and he'll be a bargain next year. Heyman says that Uehara stays since that would signal to the fans that the FO has given up.

How many fans still think we have a legitimate chance? I think most fans realize the situation and would applaud an extension or trade, if one is not forthcoming.

Sox4ever

At least the 35,000 suckers who continue to fill the seats for this poor excuse for a team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Because he would never play for that amount when he knows he can leverage an extension out of it. He would be a fool playing out that final yr at that pay level.

I don't know if you fully understand contract law.  He owes us one year of service.

If he doesn't fulfill his one year obligation, he cannot pitch for anyone else.

In addition, the RS will sue to recover the lost services.  They paid him $82.5M for 5 years of service.  If he only provides 4 years, the RS will sue to recover $16.5M.

Y'all are thinking Lackey has alternatives, which I don't think he does.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I will be stunned if they don't trade Koji.

His age and contract situation scream:   Trade Me!

Defense.  It is still important.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Trading Koji is about as dumb as signing AJ and Drew.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

The guy is 39 years old - you think he'll pitch forever?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

At least the 35,000 suckers who continue to fill the seats for this poor excuse for a team

Why are they suckers?  A lot of people love watching the RS play.  If I had the money, I'd be there every day.

I assume you only watch on the years that they win the WS?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

As long as he's lights out...he can pitch as long as he wants for the Sox

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

At least the 35,000 suckers who continue to fill the seats for this poor excuse for a team

Why are they suckers?  A lot of people love watching the RS play.  If I had the money, I'd be there every day.

I assume you only watch on the years that they win the WS?

I have to say I have a hard time justifying spending $300 for 3 good seats (or marginally good) when the Sox come to Anaheim in August. I went to see them twice last year, but you said "if I had the money." I honestly can't justify to my family to go despite being a die-hard Sox fan and not having seen them play since last year. If the team was in contention or even .500, I'd probably go in a heart beat. Not now, now I have to seriously think about it. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

82 Million says he will honor the contract.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

I think it would be a gracious gesture for the SOX to trade Koji to a contending team. He's almost 40, and it will be years before this franchise is significant again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to VoiceofReason2014's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Because he would never play for that amount when he knows he can leverage an extension out of it. He would be a fool playing out that final yr at that pay level.

I don't know if you fully understand contract law.  He owes us one year of service.

If he doesn't fulfill his one year obligation, he cannot pitch for anyone else.

In addition, the RS will sue to recover the lost services.  They paid him $82.5M for 5 years of service.  If he only provides 4 years, the RS will sue to recover $16.5M.

Y'all are thinking Lackey has alternatives, which I don't think he does.

Exactly. Lackey has to honor the contract and if he has any character and integrity ( unlike Manny) , he will do so. He isn't hurting for money and won't be joining the soup line. Contracts are supposed to be honored by both parties. Lackey read the small print and so did his agent and lawyers. He is bound both legally and ethically to honor it and obey it. 

Mercenaries with character and integrity? I guess that's possible.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Sox4ever

Why not?  

Because he would never play for that amount when he knows he can leverage an extension out of it.  He would be a fool playing out that final yr at that pay level.

Ok...so your opinion becomes his reality?  His deal was somewhat unprecedented so in essance this is just your narrative.  I do agree it makes sense to work out an extension and i think he will try but i highly doubt he retires....it still represents an asset to the team who owns hos contract, and that is what counts when we are trying to evaluate his trade value.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

In response to croc's comment:

There is not one single chance in this world Lackey plays for min.  He will hold out for an extension at his market.  Still he's a valuable chip.  Selling Koji now is selling, high - Sell!. 

The Sox need BATS back. 

based on what?? has he done this before? did he say he would do this? is this something players often do???

I will never understand why people take their own narratives for FACTS. 

You can honestly think Lackey will play for min?  He's said he won't.  

I usually take agree with you CT, but here, PLEASE.  Why would a proven ML starter #2-3 starter with a resume of winning the big games, still within the prime years of his life accept this?

He won't. He will exact an extension wiping that out. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

And you think he'll play for minimum, why?  He has the ability and a very recent track record, thus leverage.

He will get a contract at or nearing his worth. 

This is not worth debating.

He does have value as a trade commodity and that's worth considering....to obtain a BAT they need. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Does anyone think he will?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

There is not one single chance in this world Lackey plays for min.  He will hold out for an extension at his market.  Still he's a valuable chip.  Selling Koji now is selling, high - Sell!. 

The Sox need BATS back. 

based on what?? has he done this before? did he say he would do this? is this something players often do???

I will never understand why people take their own narratives for FACTS. 

You can honestly think Lackey will play for min?  He's said he won't.  

I usually take agree with you CT, but here, PLEASE.  Why would a proven ML starter #2-3 starter with a resume of winning the big games, still within the prime years of his life accept this?

He won't. He will exact an extension wiping that out. 

"he said he won't"

WHAT!!!!! He literally NEVER said that.  Ken Rosenthal said that.

I'll repeat....

Ken Rosenthal said that....and he didn't even say Lackey said that...he suggested he SHOULD do that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If I'm wrong I'll eat crow, but show me one shred of evidence that LACKEY actually said that and not Ken Rosenthall

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

And you think he'll play for minimum, why?  He has the ability and a very recent track record, thus leverage.

He will get a contract at or nearing his worth. 

This is not worth debating.

He does have value as a trade commodity and that's worth considering....to obtain a BAT they need. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'm not sure how that makes any sense.  By contract, he owes us one year.  He doesn't get to decide to retire.  There would a question if they could enforce performance, because he could serve meatballs, but he can't decide to play for someone else.  The best he could possibly get away with is retiring.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Guys don't retire for money, never have....guys will go and play over in Japan where they can't even speak the language nor know anyone because they aren't ready to hang it up.  John Lackey will not retire next year.  These are the best of the best of the best of the best.  They are competitors at heart, if anthing guys don't know when to hang it up....how often has a guy retired when pitching at a high level because he didn't like his contract.

Seriously how often does this happen? next to never!!!

This is speculation based off of a Ken Rosenthal article.  Rosenthal never spoke to lackey, it was mere speculation and a suggestion of what he could do.   A few J.A. reporters took that article and quote Rosenthal as saying "Lackey told Rosenthal" which was false and horrible journalism and the exact reason why stuff like this happens.  Lackey is NOT going to retire.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

LACKEY WILL NOT PLAY FOR THE MINIMUM IN 2015

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

LACKEY WILL NOT PLAY FOR THE MINIMUM IN 2015

[object HTMLDivElement]

Will you eat a Croc, if he does?

I wouldn't mind us extending Lackey for 1 year at $16M with a signing bonus included of $6M paid in 3 installments over the 2015 season, so at least he keeps getting a sizable paycheck on a regular basis.

If not, I do not see Lackey retiring, holding out, or demanding a new deal. He got paid a whole season already while sitting at home, and that is precisely why the clause was put in the contract, so what's fair is fair.

Sections
Shortcuts