Trade Proposals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Re: Trade Proposals

I'd look to Miami to see what it would take to get Steve Cishek, their closer. He's like 14/16 so far. No physical problems, 27 or 28 yrs. old, fastball/slider,easy rthym. He's from MA. I bet he'd like pitching in front of his home state fans. As far as who I'd trade.......Aceves, even up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not sure Miami wants Aceves. 

They may any take 2 from:

de la Torre

de la Cruz

Linares

Vinicio

Coyle

Betts

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

No no . KEEP Mookie Betts ! Not just great name, hot lately, great numbers and potential.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

No no . KEEP Mookie Betts ! Not just great name, hot lately, great numbers and potential.

Agreed. I mistakenly thought Betts was in the Rule 5 category this winter. Cross him off the list, but I might offer 2 of the others.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I like Mookie Betts a lot too, he hasn't really got a lot of love but then again he is still playing in LOW A.  His most impressive stats shows how patient his approach at the plate is, the guy is a walks machine.  My only problem with this is that it's not that hard to walk in the low minors.  You know that the majority of the pitchers are not going to be very good at throwing strikes so you can easily work a count 2-0, 3-0 and know the fastball is coming.

I'm not trying to discredit what he's dont, only that the stats seem to be ahead of the scouting, and if he can carry that over to the upper minors then he may be a very special prospect.  I'm sure the Sox got more eyes on their own prospects than anyone else and have a better projection than him than anyone.  If they think he's overhyped then he is the prototypical trade candidate....otherwise why not keep him.  His 8 homeruns with his small frame in a pitcher friendly league is definitely something that can remind one of another small second baseman with a little pop.

Crazy thing is Betts is the kinda guy who MIGHT make your top ten 2-3 years ago, but doesn't even crack most top 20 now (sox lists that is) 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

If Miami wants two of the guys Moon listed  instead of Aceves then let's go for it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There will be some opportunities to make some minor deals. A blockbuster won't be easy.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

de la Torre

de la Cruz

Linares

Vinicio

Coyle

Betts

Sox4ever

No way in the world that Miami would trade their closer for Aceves. They probably would not even take Aceves if he was DFAed.  The one guy on the list that I would not give them is de la Cruz. And , he probably is the only one they would want. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

I'd give them de la Cruz in a heartbeat for Cishek. Cishek is an established ML closer right now. Everything about him this year looks good. He's healthy, big....6'5 or so, and has good numbers so far this year. We have to go outside for a closer because not doing so puts undue strain on the BP. ( the 8th inning guy now becomes the closer, the 7th inning guy now becomes the 8th inning guy.......and on it goes until you screw up the BP. The new closer comes in and takes over that role and everyone else stays in their comfort zone. First call I'd make is to Miami  and inquire about Cishek, and at this point I'd overpay. When we won in '04 and '07 we were strong  at closer position. We are weaker by a lot at this position this year. Get a closer, first order of business.                        At 29-51 and going nowhere, everyone on the Marlins is available. Establishing the price point is the issue.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

de la Torre

de la Cruz

Linares

Vinicio

Coyle

Betts

Sox4ever

No way in the world that Miami would trade their closer for Aceves. They probably would not even take Aceves if he was DFAed.  The one guy on the list that I would not give them is de la Cruz. And , he probably is the only one they would want. 

[/QUOTE]

We may lose de la Cruz to Rule 5 anyways.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I don't know to much about De La Cruz, but the scouting on him is that he has MAJOR holes in his swing.  From what I've heard he pretty much goes out there and just hacks at everything.  Now some guys develop the hit tool where they can show no patience and just hit the ball but De La Cruz is horrible on defense so for him to be a big leaguer he HAS to hit.  Another team might take a chance on him on the rule 5 but I seriously doubt he makes any teams 25 man.  I can see the Sox trading him, although I can also see them taking a chance on another team enevitably returning him to the Sox.   I can see one of our top 5 pitching prospects moving this deadline if not more.  It makes sense, we need pitching and we have prospect pitching depth. If we want to aquire MLB proven pitchers we will have to give up some of that talent. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Another reason I'm not as big a fan of baseball anymore.  Teams can't even go thru a season anymore without turning the roster over.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to MichFan's comment:

Another reason I'm not as big a fan of baseball anymore.  Teams can't even go thru a season anymore without turning the roster over.

Really?  I love seeing who is better prepared for the long haul by having a deep bench/farm system etc etc.  Then again I follow the minors and prospects more than most so I can see why others my lose interest when the known MLB players go down. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I always remember teams making in season deals to strengthen themselves for a run at a ring or to retool for the future.

Nothing wrong with that.

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not saying I am for these trades, but if we want to make a big push for a ring this year, without giving up our top prospects, maybe this would be one way to do it- look for salaray dump type deals to lessen the amount of prospects needed to make a strong push this year:

1) Trade to Milw: Britton, Snyder, and de la Cruz or Hassan

For: 3B Aramis Ramirez (owed $3.3M after deadline, $16M in 2014, and $4M buyout of mutual option in 2015)

2) Trade to CWS: Alex Wilson, Coyle, and Butler

For:  RP Jesse Crain (owed $1.5M after the deadline) 

Total Cost: 2013 $4.8M, 2014 $16M, 2015 $4M buyout = about $25M

This also allows us to not lose a good player to rule 5 this winter. Britton is tough guy to lose, and maybe we can find a way to get Aramis without losing him, but I think the CWS might want even more than my offer.

Post trades Sox:

C- Salty/Lava  (Ross?)

1B- Napoli/Carp (Nava/Papi)

2B- Pedroia

3B- Ramirez (Iggy/Midd/Snyder)

SS- Iggy/Drew

LF- Nava/Gomes (Carp)

CF- Ellsb (Vict)

RF- Vict/Nava

DH- Papi (Carp)

SP- Buch, Lack, Demp, Doub, Lest, Acev (Webster)

RP- Ueha, Taz, Crain, Bres, Miller, Bailey/Morales/Beato/Bard/DLR

Again, I am not saying I am for these trades. I love Crain and wanted him 3 years ago, but I do not like giving top prospects for 2 month rentals. If we could get him to extend...

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

It seems like with RDLR, JDLT, Beato or other arms down below that maybe we could strengthen the bullpen and come up with more than one option to close. Can't expect Uehara to close every night.

I wouldn't mind sending down Bailey, Wilson or even Tazawa to see what some of the younger arms could do.

Making trades to address the rule five situation is good, but I'm not in a hurry to let Ace go just yet after having yet another closer shot out from under us this year. We haven't done all that well on external closer bets lately.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

July 31st deadline   Laughing

Cashman: "Mariano Rivera, you've been traded to the Red Sox."

Rivera: "Awesome!!!  Can I post this great news on my twitter account?!?" 

Cashman: "NO YOU CANNOT!!!!"

LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

It seems like with RDLR, JDLT, Beato or other arms down below that maybe we could strengthen the bullpen and come up with more than one option to close. Can't expect Uehara to close every night.

I wouldn't mind sending down Bailey, Wilson or even Tazawa to see what some of the younger arms could do.

Making trades to address the rule five situation is good, but I'm not in a hurry to let Ace go just yet after having yet another closer shot out from under us this year. We haven't done all that well on external closer bets lately.

Send down Tazawa?

Sorry, but that is lunacy.

I would not trade Aceves. We need his versatility, and although many here have been critical of his attitude or personality, sometimes a team needs a firecracker in the dugout/clubhouse to keep thinks from becomming to Kum-by-yah-ish.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

The Red Sox look like they'll be contending this year. Why not try to win a World Series?

Would you send Lester, Bailey, Drew, Lavarnway and Webster to Philadelphia for Lee and Papelbon? The Phillies gain significant salary relief and three younger players who can contribute right away at the major league level in Lester, Lavarnway, and Webster. Bailey gets a chance to close for his hometown team (he's from southern New Jersey and grew up a Phillies fan). Drew is a throw-in for salary considerations and to open up an everyday spot for Iglesias. If Middlebrooks continues to struggle, Boegarts could get the call.

Funny... Sox trade three young players who can contribute right away? And then pick up players and salary  to contribute right away? And poor Bailey  get to get booed by his hometown fans?Sure, Phillies are all over on this steal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Send down Tazawa?

Sorry, but that is lunacy.

No desire to trade Ace presently. Wish he was playing in the bigs now.
    I was looking at his game logs and it seemed to me that there was some slippage ...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=tazawju01&t=p&year=

His ERA, while still good, is on the rise, and he's been in five blown saves or losses.

You can send someone down for as little as 10 days, but apparently you don't see a benfit to letting the pitchers I mentioned have a bit of time in the sun?

Even if Tazawa can't be touched, you wouldn't want to send Bailey or Wilson down to give one or two of these guys more time in the bigs? Are they just not performing up to your standards for a look?

I would just feel better about overpaying for outside talent AFTER giving our own guys a look ...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Can we even send Bailey down?  I'm pretty sure we can't. I don't believe he has any options.

I agree that I'd rather see what internal solutions we have and hold onto our chips this year but I also think its lunacy to send Tazawa down.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

I'm not saying I am for these trades, but if we want to make a big push for a ring this year, without giving up our top prospects, maybe this would be one way to do it- look for salaray dump type deals to lessen the amount of prospects needed to make a strong push this year:

1) Trade to Milw: Britton, Snyder, and de la Cruz or Hassan

For: 3B Aramis Ramirez (owed $3.3M after deadline, $16M in 2014, and $4M buyout of mutual option in 2015)

2) Trade to CWS: Alex Wilson, Coyle, and Butler

For:  RP Jesse Crain (owed $1.5M after the deadline) 

Total Cost: 2013 $4.8M, 2014 $16M, 2015 $4M buyout = about $25M

This also allows us to not lose a good player to rule 5 this winter. Britton is tough guy to lose, and maybe we can find a way to get Aramis without losing him, but I think the CWS might want even more than my offer.

Post trades Sox:

C- Salty/Lava  (Ross?)

1B- Napoli/Carp (Nava/Papi)

2B- Pedroia

3B- Ramirez (Iggy/Midd/Snyder)

SS- Iggy/Drew

LF- Nava/Gomes (Carp)

CF- Ellsb (Vict)

RF- Vict/Nava

DH- Papi (Carp)

SP- Buch, Lack, Demp, Doub, Lest, Acev (Webster)

RP- Ueha, Taz, Crain, Bres, Miller, Bailey/Morales/Beato/Bard/DLR

Again, I am not saying I am for these trades. I love Crain and wanted him 3 years ago, but I do not like giving top prospects for 2 month rentals. If we could get him to extend...

Sox4ever

Not a chance.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not a chance.....

I doubt we get either of these guys, but who do you think turns down these deals?

Boston or Milw/CWS?

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Can we even send Bailey down?  I'm pretty sure we can't. I don't believe he has any options.

http://wiki.soxprospects.com/Player+Options

I think this page is saying that he does.

About JT: If we can live a month without Buck, I think we could survive a few days without JT.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Not a chance.....

I doubt we get either of these guys, but who do you think turns down these deals?

Boston or Milw/CWS?

Sox4ever

The RS right now are sitting REALLY PRETTY right now. Not just for this yr but for yrs to come if they play their cards right. They have young pitching down below that they will need to filter in over the next yr or two, just like they did with Doubront last yr and this yr. the 5  and 6 slots will be websters for the foreseeable future with Aceves in the mix also. Then next yr it will be Ranaudo and Barnes...etc.... They, right now do not need a veteran pitcher who will take innings away from the BIG picture, which is developing these young guys without having to rebuild so to speak. We can have our cake, and eat it too....same with 3rd base....if Midds can't get his swing back this yr in pawt they will more than likely give Boggey a shot. I doubt very much they will get any 2month rental, weather a pitcher or position player. It's a great opp to get some of these kids some experience under preasure in a pennant race. Remember Ells in 07. Lester too....why on earth would we trade for Crain  or Ramirez when we have young players that can give us close to them, get them invaluable experience, and maybe strike lighting in a bottle and not have to take on payroll. So once Midds gets some abs in pawt, I look for him to get 3b back with Boggey as plan B if he falters again, with Webster and Aceves being swing guys in the rotation. All bets will be off if there is a season ending injury though...

Sections
Shortcuts