Trade Salty NOW!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

Trade Salty NOW!

I mean the guy does nothing but hit, his defense isn't all that bad.

But I guess we need a guy with a cannon arm behind the plate like Varitek.

That is called sarcasm for the kiddies who didn't get the pleasure to see Rich Gedman.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Trade Salty NOW!

Can we trade softy and Bill for posters "to be named later?"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He looks much better at the plate this year. Good for him. I hope he can quiet some of his detractors down some.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

The one thing I do agree with Bill on. I do see a young Catcher being shipped out at some point during the season. Probably Lava, packaged with a bullpen arm.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to tbs2007's comment:

That is called sarcasm for the kiddies who didn't get the pleasure to see Rich Gedman.

BUILDING VALUE ........  I've got him on my "block"  !!!

& little billy-69 wants who???   Lava??????    LOFL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Vazquez?

The next "Bob Montgomery"?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Vazquez?

Peter Gammons said this morning that he thinks Vasquez will be the starting catcher next year, if not sooner.  It all depends on whether or not the season goes like you think it will.  Some think he will hit too, to match his spectacular defense, but then again, judging prospects is never that easy,"obviously."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Vazquez?

Peter Gammons said this morning that he thinks Vasquez will be the starting catcher next year, if not sooner.  It all depends on whether or not the season goes like you think it will.  Some think he will hit too, to match his spectacular defense, but then again, judging prospects is never that easy,"obviously."

Hes hit well at every level...have to see how he adjusts to AA pitching. He could be ready by 2014. defensively, he is ready.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Vasquez, Swihart, Lava...

Gotta like our catcher future.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Vazquez?

I loved Monty, just played hard every game! What the kids today call a gamer, what i called a real pro!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

Vazquez?

I loved Monty, just played hard every game! What the kids today call a gamer, what i called a real pro!

It wasn't meaant to be a slam on Vasquez.

I was just messin' with the "next Carlton Fisk" BILL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

Vazquez?

I know that my friend. I know you deal with facts, not premonitions! Vascy looks like a real player.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Small sample size, ST and the first two games, but Salty looks like a different hitter than he did last year...much more Plate discipline, less swings and misses. I was impressed by Vazquez, but I could see the Sox hanging onto Salty, if only because as a SH, he would be a great DH Asset also. I think Lavarnway's time with us is done....barring an Injury he will not be needed this year and he is being passed by more than one other prospect in the system, Vazquez, Butler.....no need to rush into anything, but I could see him being moved at the dealing or the next offseason. If the Sox themselves are not in the race at the deadline however, someone like Salty might yield alot at the deadline, so an options must be kept open

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

The guy is a young power hitting catcher.  Sure he's not the best defensive cather but he has proven he can hit...which is RARE for a catcher these days....  We do not have a lot of power in the lineup...why would we trade one of our power hitting players??  We have other chips to trade later on, Drew, Aceves, Bailey, Ells, Lava......I think we hold onto Salty.  He's only really played one full season....which was not horrible BY ANY STRETCH.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hes still going to have hos moments at the plate with his K's. But all in all he looks much better this year. Id hold on to him and wait to se what Vasquez turns into. I think Vasquez is going to be an impact catcher at the MLB level.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Vazquez?

I know that my friend. I know you deal with facts, not premonitions! Vascy looks like a real player.

I'm a big fan of catcher and SS defense. That was one reason I was all over trying to trade salty after the 2011 season. I had given up on any chance of his defense improving. Sometime in May of last year, a poster told me to keep a closer eye on Salty, and that he was improving. I did just that, and saw a big improvement. Virtually all the numbers (except CS%) back up that observation. 

As most of you know, VTek did not really become well known for his defense until he was 31 to 32 years old. He had even led the league in PBs for 2 seasons at the ages Salty was the last 2 years.

Salty's been around a long time, so I think people assume that if he hasn't learned by now, he never will. The fact is, Salty hardly ever was given the FT catching job. He rode the bench for long stretches, was jerked from AAA to MLB and back numerous times, and was even used at 1B for a while. Call it "slow learning" or whatever, to me, Salty has improved greatly behind the plate. I hope it continues.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I'm sure most of us expected a post like this :)  I'm glad Salty has started strong but its a long season.  I do however give him credit so far for doing a lot of good things at the plate.  If it continues throughout the year, by all means re-sign him because this is what we have all been wanting from our starting catcher.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If Salty has a good year and the team does well they absolutely could sign him again. But I think it's 50/50 at best. They have been trying to trade him for a year now. He's not good defensively and they like OBP guys. He can be replaced for less cash.

Ross is a perfect example. Probably should be the starter. Real solid catcher at a reasonable price.

If Papi tanks this year Salty could benefit a lot from more PT at DH. Big factor for him this year, his walk year.

I definitely haven't given up on Lavarnway as he could well go back to AAA and restore his status as a legitimate prospect. When he first came up to mlb he seemed to do an excellent job of working the at bats. He seems to have lost that. I don't know what is going on there. Maybe he is a AAAA player. Or maybe he was just tired and slumping. He has never been a fast starter, as many sluggers are not, so this spring is not an issue to me. Last fall he might just have been worn out after a very long season for him, losing a lot of weight and catching fulltime in a lot of games. Let's see what happens this year. I think he comes back.

A lot of people are calling Swihart too small  to catch. I'm still thinking he's our future stud. 

Vasquez definitely is stepping up but it seems that most real catching prospects tear up A ball. Let's see how he does this year. I love the defense though and particularly the arm. He is looking solid.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

NEVER TRADE SALTALAMACCHIA!!!

Seriously. Granted, I've been a fan of his ever since he came into the majors. Just one of those players that caught my eye for whatever reason.

As Moon pointed out above, and as I've said time and time again, he was not really EVER given the starting job until 2012.

-He was a first round pick, highly touted player who made it to the majors at 22...on his 22nd BDay. For Atlanta, backing up McCann. Then to TEX in a blockbuster trade that I never knew about: Teixera for Salty/Andrus/Feliz/Matt Harrison

-He is just entering his LATE 20's!! Most player start to show their true worth in the 27/28 range. Guys playing in the majors, full time, before that are often very good, or on very bad teams.

-His hitting has always been decent. Now it's looking like it might finally blossom.

-Stereotypically speaking...6'4" 235lbs switch-hitting Catcher!!!!! Are you fking shting me?

Do. Not. Trade. Him.

It would be a HUGE regret.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Seriously. Granted, I've been a fan of his ever since he came into the majors. Just one of those players that caught my eye for whatever reason.

As Moon pointed out above, and as I've said time and time again, he was not really EVER given the starting job until 2012.

-He was a first round pick, highly touted player who made it to the majors at 22...on his 22nd BDay. For Atlanta, backing up McCann. Then to TEX in a blockbuster trade that I never knew about: Teixera for Salty/Andrus/Feliz/Matt Harrison

-He is just entering his LATE 20's!! Most player start to show their true worth in the 27/28 range. Guys playing in the majors, full time, before that are often very good, or on very bad teams.

-His hitting has always been decent. Now it's looking like it might finally blossom.

-Stereotypically speaking...6'4" 235lbs switch-hitting Catcher!!!!! Are you fking shting me?

Do. Not. Trade. Him.

great post. +1

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Do. Not. Trade. Him.

Also, many forget that in his first year (2007) in MLB, he was used at 1B nearly as much as catcher (302 innings to 373 at C). That had to effect his growth as a catcher- trying to learn a new position at the ML level!

He then had this many innings in MLB at the catcher position:

2008  464

2009  714

2010  53

2011  856

2012  852 (age 26-27)

For comparative analysis, VTek had 516 innings at age 25-26 and 1153 at age 26-27.  He led MLB in PBs at age 26-27 and also the next year at age 27-28 with 1076 innings that year, which is the same age Salty is now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Look at Ross. Has already thrown out 2 runners and also is producing. Better defensively and cost effective. Salty needs to play in a Yankee stadium type location where he will hit 30 plus HR. Or a Philadelphia with that short RF. They may be waiting for him as we speak. I don't see him getting a qualifying offer. We need to probably assume he is gone and move on.

Sections
Shortcuts