Trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Re: Trade

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

We will be a top 5 offense in runs scored and OPS at year end... maybe even top 3.

About right.  I'd expect maybe #3.  Ellsbury is an obvious loss, Salty/Drew ~= AJ/Bogaerts.  We probably scored more than we should've last year, with Nava and Carp excelling, but we still have excellent offense at 1st, 2nd, SS, RF, and DH.

But this is just another rite of Spring for RS fans.  Nobody in BB panics quicker or better.

It is funny stuff. If the Red Sox went 2 and 4 in the middle of the season no one would even notice. I am not saying there are not reasons to be concerned, but starting the season 2 and 4 isn't anything to stress about.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Yeah, but I can't breathe, and I pushed the up button, and this elevator is still going down.  Hey Abbotttt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

We will be a top 5 offense in runs scored and OPS at year end... maybe even top 3.

About right.  I'd expect maybe #3.  Ellsbury is an obvious loss, Salty/Drew ~= AJ/Bogaerts.  We probably scored more than we should've last year, with Nava and Carp excelling, but we still have excellent offense at 1st, 2nd, SS, RF, and DH.

But this is just another rite of Spring for RS fans.  Nobody in BB panics quicker or better.

Sorry I disagree,

The issues were clear going into the season Joe, anyone could clearly see them.  Having Shane out along with Middy which seems to be a regular routine with Wil, along with the fact he hasn't really been very effective anyway just makes the lost OF and IF depth that much more glaring.  In just the first five games alone we have already seen defensive short comings from Nava, Gomes and Bogy that will probably only continue.  Lets not sugar coat things by saying the season is still young and everything will fall into place. 

I agree its probably too early to make drastic changes but I for one don't think the this team is close to last seasons outside of pitching.  Even if Grady and Shane stay healthy I don't expect another miracle season withut an upgrade or two.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

There is one other part to the equation of acquiring Stanton. If , after giving up several top prospects in the trade, would the Sox be willing to pay what it would take to lock up Stanton to a long term contract? Recent history would indicate that they are not. They would not spend to retain Ellsbury. They would not spend to acquire Tanaka. They seem to be having a problem coming to terms with Lester, despite Jon's willingness to give a home town discount. I am sure that, while Lester is willing to re-sign for less, he certainly does not want to be low balled. It would take a lot to lock up Stanton, especially if he plays as well as some think he will. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

There is one other part to the equation of acquiring Stanton. If , after giving up several top prospects in the trade, would the Sox be willing to pay what it would take to lock up Stanton to a long term contract? Recent history would indicate that they are not. They would not spend to retain Ellsbury. They would not spend to acquire Tanaka. They seem to be having a problem coming to terms with Lester, despite Jon's willingness to give a home town discount. I am sure that, while Lester is willing to re-sign for less, he certainly does not want to be low balled. It would take a lot to lock up Stanton, especially if he plays as well as some think he will. 

First, if they trade for Stanton they will definitely be ready to go the distance contract-wise.

Second, if you really want to get an idea of how this FO is thinking, just read what Lucchino says.  He said the Sox don't want to give out very many megadeals going forward, but he also made it clear they would do it if they felt it was necessary.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

First, if they trade for Stanton they will definitely be ready to go the distance contract-wise.

Second, if you really want to get an idea of how this FO is thinking, just read what Lucchino says.  He said the Sox don't want to give out very many megadeals going forward, but he also made it clear they would do it if they felt it was necessary.  

That is the problem with the optimistic view of the front office. There are so many ifs and so much speculation. I am not entirely sold on the idea of Stanton as a superstar, but if he really is, can the Sox outbid the Yankees, Dodgers, etc. for his long term services?  There is no recent indication that they can or will. Would you be willing to part with some of our best young talent in assuming that we can outbid the others to sign Stanton long term?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

The offesnse is not any different than last years.... I was worried that Ortiz was the center of our line-up in 2013 but we won the title... the team still has Ortiz at the center.... and I don't like it...

I repeat again... this offense is the same as last years (and look what happened).

How is it the same without Ellsbury? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

That is the problem with the optimistic view of the front office. There are so many ifs and so much speculation. I am not entirely sold on the idea of Stanton as a superstar, but if he really is, can the Sox outbid the Yankees, Dodgers, etc. for his long term services?  There is no recent indication that they can or will. Would you be willing to part with some of our best young talent in assuming that we can outbid the others to sign Stanton long term?

Personally, I don't see how a Sox fan in 2014 can not have an optimistic view of this front office, but that's just me.  Since Henry bought the team, in 12 seasons they have won 3 titles and been to the ALCS 5 times.  For the last several years the team has spent right up to the tax threshold of 178 million (increased to 189 million this year). 

This is the ownership that traded for A-Gon and signed Crawford, both at huge cost, before 2011.  They got burned in 2011 and 2012 and this obviously made them re-think long term deals.

With their record of success, their continued willingness to spend, and the current good shape of the farm system, if you still can't feel any optimism, then it's because you have a negative attitude drilled into you by being a baseball fan and a Sox fan.  There's certainly plenty of that to be seen on this board. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Personally, I don't see how a Sox fan in 2014 can not have an optimistic view of this front office, but that's just me.  Since Henry bought the team, in 12 seasons they have won 3 titles and been to the ALCS 5 times.  For the last several years the team has spent right up to the tax threshold of 178 million (increased to 189 million this year). 

This is the ownership that traded for A-Gon and signed Crawford, both at huge cost, before 2011.  They got burned in 2011 and 2012 and this obviously made them re-think long term deals.

With their record of success, their continued willingness to spend, and the current good shape of the farm system, if you still can't feel any optimism, then it's because you have a negative attitude drilled into you by being a baseball fan and a Sox fan.  There's certainly plenty of that to be seen on this board. 

You summed it up well, Halifax...It's a New England birthright to be able to complain about the Sox and the usual suspects are back in full force.  I love how the same guys who crucified Salty last year, whine about the Sox not signing him.  

The Sox didn't see Salty as a long term solution and they obviously have 2 highly touted catchers in Vasquez & Swihart.  People all around baseball say they would start Vasquez now, and Swihart supposedly has a higher ceiling.  Why would they sign Salty to a multi-year deal?  There are those who think they should've given Salty the 3 year deal and then traded him.  That's not reality at all for several reasons, yet you'll see it posted over & over again.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

You always want to have a contender. Winning the championship comes down to a few key plays. They did not happen in 1946, 1948, 1950 , 1967, 1975, 1978, 1986, 2003, 2011 , etc. . The key plays went our way in 2004, 2007 and 2013. That is what makes it so special. That is more than we could  haved hoped for.  We cannot expect to win every year. But we should expect  to compete and contend.. We should not be content and grateful. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'd rather not have a platoon at lead off, but a platoon might be better than Nava leading off 100% of the time.  Nava can't hit from the right side, and he gets more at bats batting first, it's very easy to swing him around to the right side late in games.  Especially when him and Gomes start the same game.  That means Gomes isn't there to pinch hit late for the left hander, and the defense is much worse as well.

Sizemore, Pedroia, and Bogaerts are probably our best options.  None are the typical leadoff hitter, but they are the most logical choices on this team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

[QUOTE]

My frustration as someone who wants a repeat, is that your comments relate to events that were obvious and should have been forseen prior to last winter fiasco..

So far, the negatives are, before today-

• AJ OPS of .267
    • Nava OPS of .221
    • Gomes OPS of .464
    • Buchholz with an ERA of 12.46

Maybe explain why these were all obvious and should've been foreseen.  I checked Steamer, and their predictions for those players are .700, .751, .758 and an ERA for Buchholz of 4.29.  They apparently didn't see any issues that were obvious.

The biggest issue so far, imo, besides two guys on the DL, is the BA with RISP of .135.  When that doubles, the scoring is closer to 5.3 RPG that we should have.

[/QUOTe

it was foreseeable that we had fill Ells hole, that a solid RBI man was needed between Papi and Napoli, that Carp, Nava a Gomes are just fairly good benchmen... if at the end I am wrong and Sox repeat, I will gladly  pay the Champagne...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

My frustration as someone who wants a repeat, is that your comments relate to events that were obvious and should have been forseen prior to last winter fiasco..

• AJ OPS of .267
    • Nava OPS of .221
    • Gomes OPS of .464

Maybe explain why these were all obvious and should've been foreseen.  I checked Steamer, and their predictions for those players are .700, .751, .758 and an ERA for Buchholz of 4.29.  They apparently didn't see any issues that were obvious.

The biggest issue so far, imo, besides two guys on the DL, is the BA with RISP of .135.  When that doubles, the scoring is closer to 5.3 RPG that we should have.

[/QUOTe

it was foreseeable that we had fill Ells hole, that a solid RBI man was needed between Papi and Napoli, that Carp, Nava a Gomes are just fairly good benchmen... if at the end I am wrong and Sox repeat, I will gladly  pay the Champagne...

well put, the fo put way too much faith into nava/gomes/carp. These guys are all flawed bench players. None of them are good defensively. And I agree we need someone to hit ahead or between papi and napoli. Napoli is not the kind of guy u want in your 3/4 spots. 5 ot 6 spot is where he belongs. He is just not a consistant and well rounded enough hitter to occupy one of those spots. I think in terms of replacing ells, well, we are not going to replace him with someone who can bring what he did to the team, but sizemore or victorino should at least be adequate for that spot. I agree with what someone wrote above about picking a lead off hitter and sticking with him. Not juggling the line up so much. I think by now is pretty obvious nava and gomes are not the answer lol. Not sure what farrell was thinking on that one. nava should hit 7th-9th. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

• AJ OPS of .267
    • Nava OPS of .221
    • Gomes OPS of .464

[/QUOTe

We filled the Ellsbury hole with Sizemore.  And while neither Gomes not Nava are stars, it should be noted that the Red Sox had by far the best OPS in the league last year for LF.  We had a .790, while CL was second with a .757.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

• AJ OPS of .267
    • Nava OPS of .221
    • Gomes OPS of .464

[/QUOTe

well put, the fo put way too much faith into nava/gomes/carp. These guys are all flawed bench players. None of them are good defensively. And I agree we need someone to hit ahead or between papi and napoli. Napoli is not the kind of guy u want in your 3/4 spots. 5 ot 6 spot is where he belongs. He is just not a consistant and well rounded enough hitter to occupy one of those spots. I think in terms of replacing ells, well, we are not going to replace him with someone who can bring what he did to the team, but sizemore or victorino should at least be adequate for that spot. I agree with what someone wrote above about picking a lead off hitter and sticking with him. Not juggling the line up so much. I think by now is pretty obvious nava and gomes are not the answer lol. Not sure what farrell was thinking on that one. nava should hit 7th-9th. 

I would try Bogaerts as Leadoff man

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The issues were clear going into the season Joe, anyone could clearly see them.  Having Shane out along with Middy which seems to be a regular routine with Wil, along with the fact he hasn't really been very effective anyway just makes the lost OF and IF depth that much more glaring.  In just the first five games alone we have already seen defensive short comings from Nava, Gomes and Bogy that will probably only continue.  Lets not sugar coat things by saying the season is still young and everything will fall into place. 

1-I expected Vic to miss time, but there is nothing that can be done about that.  He'll miss some time during the season and be replaced by Nava.  There are no solutions to that.

2-I was not expecting WMB to miss time with a calf injury.  Kudos to you for anticipating it.  However, just like with Vic, there is nothing you can do about it.  It's not like the RS can hire another RF and 3B for $8M each, and keep them on our 27-man roster waiting for an injury.

3-IRT being effective, I would argue that he's been outstanding for his time in the league, however inconsistent.  His career is basically one year so far, with 628 ABs.  So in one season's worth of ABs, he has 79 runs, 33 HRs, 104 RBIs, and a .253.  You're going to have a hard time convincing me that's not good.

I'm not even a WMB fan, but there is no way you are going to keep a 3B with 1HR/19 ABs in the minors and hire someone else for $10M to do the same thing.  It's like I told Gale in the pre-season, you have to have actionable items.  And there was no way we were getting rid of Vic or WMB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero2. Show bosoxhero2's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to billge's comment:

The whole outfield contingent for Stanton, and a catcher under thirty five years of age,

Maybe a brewers sweep will be helpful waking up the top brass...offseason punch out turning lethal...no news for me, regretfully... Wake up sox, season still way ahead

Absolutely right. That is exactly the kind of GM I want for my team -- one who overreacts and panics after five or six games into the season.

Concern, not panic, started last winter!...

I think our FO is praying for another miracle out of guys like Gomes, Nava & Carp while hoping Middy doesn't continue to struggle at the plate or spend time on the DL.  I said this before the season started but if you factor in these things along with weaker defense at SS and two solid OF's in Shane and Grady trying to stay healthy you are probably not being very realistic.

Its still early and our FO will make adjustments but I just don't see us repeating even a PS appearance without some upgrades both offensively and defensively.  At catcher we have options and I wouldn't trade either Swihart or Vasquez at this point but others will need to go for better "long term" fits in my opinion.

All you have said is totally correct... My frustration as someone who wants a repeat, is that your comments relate to events that were obvious and should have been forseen prior to last winter fiasco...top brass is paid to be effective...everything, thanks God, went went luckly  well last year... Big trade is needed asap unless we wave a white flag shouting " wait to next year"...

i say trade for one of the dodgers outfielders.eithier would look better than what is out there now.would probably cost less in players than stanton.i would let bradley play and decide after a full season to get better at seeing pitches everyday.he is a strong defensive outfielder.eithier may be better at one side than the other at the plate but the dodgers will need to unload a outfielder soon.and we could take on the whole salary for a lesser group going back.we don't want crawford back and puig is untouchable i assume.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero2. Show bosoxhero2's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

You summed it up well, Halifax...It's a New England birthright to be able to complain about the Sox and the usual suspects are back in full force.  I love how the same guys who crucified Salty last year, whine about the Sox not signing him.  

The Sox didn't see Salty as a long term solution and they obviously have 2 highly touted catchers in Vasquez & Swihart.  People all around baseball say they would start Vasquez now, and Swihart supposedly has a higher ceiling.  Why would they sign Salty to a multi-year deal?  There are those who think they should've given Salty the 3 year deal and then traded him.  That's not reality at all for several reasons, yet you'll see it posted over & over again.  

all i remember about salty was he strikes out too much in clutch situations.now he is gone.and they worry now about his .270 average and power numbers.i am a sox fan in new york state.and i have the deep feeling the fo knows what they are doing.i am not of the ilk that thinks we will win or even make the playoffs every year.i wish but don't expect.to me i like finishing above the yankees.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

This is not the same team as 2013.

Ells, Salty, Drew, Dempster, Morales, Iggy, Berry are gone.

Breslow, Vic, WMB are on the DL. Possibly Ortiz added to the DL in a few days.

New players: Herrera, Holt, Mujica, Xander, Sizemore, AJ, Workman, JBJ. No disrespect to these guys but none are truly impact players yet.

Why the problem in 2014---everybody wants to beat the WS Champs. The Brewers were the first to be impactful--they are young and aggressive. Texas is tough even without a couple of starters---that could be a sweep.

Don't panic-regroup--get back to basics. I would start Size #1 and Xander #3 against all  pitchers. I would start with JBJ in RF until Vic comes back. I would bat JBJ #8 and AJ and Ross #9.

Batting Order: Size, Pedroia, Xander, Ortiz, Nap, Nava/Carp/Gomes, Herrera, JBJ, AJ.

There are good bats out there , close to Stanton, that would be less expensive.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

You always want to have a contender. Winning the championship comes down to a few key plays. They did not happen in 1946, 1948, 1950 , 1967, 1975, 1978, 1986, 2003, 2011 , etc. . The key plays went our way in 2004, 2007 and 2013. That is what makes it so special. That is more than we could  haved hoped for.  We cannot expect to win every year. But we should expect  to compete and contend.. We should not be content and grateful. 

Sorry, but I don't see what's so great about being discontented and ungrateful.

If you can't enjoy success then what exactly is the point?  Ask yourself that sometime.

It's sport, it's entertainment.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

It is funny stuff. If the Red Sox went 2 and 4 in the middle of the season no one would even notice. I am not saying there are not reasons to be concerned, but starting the season 2 and 4 isn't anything to stress about.

The Sox got swept by the Rangers and went 1-3 against the Twins last May.

The team was doomed and the FO were sitting on their hands, while the team floundered.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

+1

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The whole outfield contingent for Stanton, and a catcher under thirty five years of age,

Maybe a brewers sweep will be helpful waking up the top brass...offseason punch out turning lethal...no news for me, regretfully... Wake up sox, season still way ahead

Absolutely right. That is exactly the kind of GM I want for my team -- one who overreacts and panics after five or six games into the season.

I think our FO is praying for another miracle out of guys like Gomes, Nava & Carp while hoping Middy doesn't continue to struggle at the plate or spend time on the DL.  I said this before the season started but if you factor in these things along with weaker defense at SS and two solid OF's in Shane and Grady trying to stay healthy you are probably not being very realistic.

Its still early and our FO will make adjustments but I just don't see us repeating even a PS appearance without some upgrades both offensively and defensively.  At catcher we have options and I wouldn't trade either Swihart or Vasquez at this point but others will need to go for better "long term" fits in my opinion.

All you have said is totally correct... My frustration as someone who wants a repeat, is that your comments relate to events that were obvious and should have been forseen prior to last winter fiasco...top brass is paid to be effective...everything, thanks God, went went luckly  well last year... Big trade is needed asap unless we wave a white flag shouting " wait to next year"...

Everything went lucky last year?  Everything?

Let’s recap, for those with short term memory issues.

The most effective starting pitcher on the 2013 Red Sox only made half his starts.

The opening day closer (Hanrahan) was lost early in the season, followed very quickly by his replacement (Bailey), and then out best LHRP (Miller). 

Alfredo Aceves was needed in the rotation in April.

The “3B of the future” was demoted to Pawtucket due to ineffectiveness at the plate.   While their intial replacement was very good, the Sox did use a platoon of Brock Holt and Brandon Snyder at 3B for nearly 1/3 of the season.

Jonny Gomes played 116 games in the outfield out of necessity, which is an awful lot for the RHH side of a platoon.

Yeah, last season went off without a hitch…

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Everything went lucky last year?  Everything?

Let’s recap, for those with short term memory issues.

The most effective starting pitcher on the 2013 Red Sox only made half his starts.

The opening day closer (Hanrahan) was lost early in the season, followed very quickly by his replacement (Bailey), and then out best LHRP (Miller). 

Alfredo Aceves was needed in the rotation in April.

The “3B of the future” was demoted to Pawtucket due to ineffectiveness at the plate.   While their intial replacement was very good, the Sox did use a platoon of Brock Holt and Brandon Snyder at 3B for nearly 1/3 of the season.

Jonny Gomes played 116 games in the outfield out of necessity, which is an awful lot for the RHH side of a platoon.

Yeah, last season went off without a hitch…

Sox were lucky insofar as getting valuable contribution from players that will never do it again, such luck will not come this year from Mujica, badenhop, ryan roberts, etc...FO should have foresen  not only the value we certainly have, but maily the wholes, by doing nothing in hot stove and free agency, it will be very very hard to compete succesfully... Time will tale... It is early though, a couple of trades might do the trick, but to get talent you have give talent...

Sections
Shortcuts