Trading Deadline #1 Priority

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Trading Deadline #1 Priority

If I could preface that I'm just spitballing the idea of Lee, or someone of that caliber including that type of salary. Even with $$$ coming off the books next year, coupled w/ the fact that the guys we might assume are taking their place [ Ex: Ellsbury's $9M to Bradley's 500k?, Drew's &9.5M to Iglesias' $2.6M (or is it $3.56M?) ], and the players that they're already paying league minimum to (Ex: Middlebrooks, Nava, Doubront), not to mention it's conceivable Boegarts might win a position next year which would mean not having to sign another over-priced FA. Lee's contract still might cripple them? That my friend is disappointing to say the least. I'm hearing the horns shouting: " Wha!...wha!...Whaaaaaa....". 

"Crippling" might be a bit  of hyperbole, but $25M takes up a lot of budget space (about 1/7th).

Here's how next year's budget looks (using average contract yearly salary):

$16.5M Lackey (then club option at min. wage*)

$13.25M Dempster (then FA)

$13M Victorino (then $13M for 2015 and then FA)

$13M Ortiz (then FA)

*$13M Club Option on Lester (with $.25M buyout

$7.5M Buchholz (through 2015 with club options for $13M '16 & $13.5M '17 w .5M buyout)

$6.75M Pedroia (signed through 2014 with 2015 club option @ $11M w $.5M buyout)

$5M Gomes (then FA)

$3.1M Breslow (then FA)

$3.1M Ross (then FA)

Sub Total: ~$81.5M without Lester (9 players)and $93M with Lester (10 players).

Arbitrations:

Uehara (3 of 3) made $4.25M in 2013 > $6M

Bailey (3 of 3) made $4.1M > $5.5M

Aceves (3 of 3) made 2.65M > $3M

Bard (2 of 3) made $1.86M > 1M (or DFA'd)

Iglesias (IFA signing) made $2M > $3M (?)

Morales (3 of 3) made $1.49M > $2M

Miller (3 of 3) made 1.48M > $2M

Tazawa (1 of 3) made $815K > $1.25M

Carp (1 of 3) made $508K > $1.25M

Sub Total Arb estimate: $25M (9 players)

Doubront (pre- arb, then 3 arbs) made $518K

Nava (pre-arb, then 3 arbs) made $505K

Mortensen (pre-arb, then 3 arbs) made $505K

Kalish (pre-arb, then 3 arbs) made $498K

Middlebrooks (pre-arb) made $498K

Pre-arbs that make $490K this year: Bradley, Britton, Butler, de la Rosa, de la Torre, Hassan, Holt, Lavarnway, Vazquez, Wilson, and Wright.

Sub Total Pre-Arb estimate: $8M (16 players)

TOTAL : ~ $127M (35 players with Lester) / 115M (34 players with no Lester)

That's a total of 31-35 players depending on Lester and Bard, but a few other players might be dealt or cut (Butler, Hassan, Wright)

5-10 players (Rule 5 pending) that might be added to 40 man roster this winter or lost: add about $3-4M to the total.

40 man roster total: ~$130M with Lester/ $119M without Lester

The following players will be eligible for the 2013 Rule 5 Draft if they are not added to the 40-man roster by November 20, 2013:

Mario Alcantara, Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Carson Blair, Xander Bogaerts, Bryce Brentz, Chris Carpenter, Garin Cecchini, Keith Couch, William Cuevas, Keury De La Cruz, Luis Diaz, Leonel Escobar, Derrik Gibson, Dreily Guerrero, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Jayson Hernandez, Chris Hernandez, Peter Hissey, Brandon Jacobs, Jeremy Kehrt, Aaron King, Aaron Kurcz, Juan Carlos Linares, Mario Martinez, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Nefi Ogando, Gerardo Olivares, Yunior Ortega, Oscar Perez, Rafael Perez, Mathew Price, Anthony Ranaudo, David Renfroe, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Brandon Snyder, Alfredo Soto, Kyle Stroup, Francisco Taveras, Raynel Velette, Jose Vinicio, Kolbrin Vitek, Stefan Welch, Shannon Wilkerson, Brandon Workman, Madison Younginer

So, basically our luxury tax budget will be between $119 and $130M depending on Lester, plus the player pension ($11.1M?) and the Dodger payment of $3.9M for 2014 (then one more for 2015). 

The final number will be about:

$134M without Lester

$145M with Lester

If you add Cliff Lee's 14:$25M, 15:$25M,16:$27.5M club option ($12.5M buyout) He is actually guaranteed $62.5M for 2014 and 2015, but I think his luxury tax number is $24M per year ($120M/5).

That would put us at $158M without Lester and $169M with Lester. That doesn't leave too much room for other FA signings or extensions of current players, but it is doable.

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

[QUOTE]

Go get Bud Norris and or bring up one of the kids Ranaudo,Barnes,Britton, or Webster and let them give it their best shot. At all costs get rid of the second coming of JD Drew his sister is stinking up the joint.

I'm not sure Houston is looking to trade a guy like Norris, but they may figure they are more than 2 years away from contending, so maybe he is an option. (His last arb is after the 2015 season.) His WHIP is over 1.400 this year and career. That's not a good sign, but he is entering his prime at age 28. Jordan Lyles is the guy I would want fro the 'Stros, but he's not going anywhere, since his last arb is after 2017.

If we trade for a pitcher this deadline, I think it will be from a team looking to dump salary or a player that is not under team control for beyond 2013 or 2014. Here is a short list of starting pitchers from teams that will likely be out of it by the deadline and may be looking more towards the future or extended future:

Milwaukee:

Gallardo 13:$8.5M, 14:$10M, 15:$12M

Lohse  13:$11M, 14:$11M, 15:$11M

(Maybe Braun, C Hart or A Ramirez could be added)

Kansas City:

Shields 13:$9M club option ($1.5M buyout), 14:$12M club option ($1M buyout)

E Santana 13:$13M club option ($1M buyout)

J Guthrie  13:$5M, 14:$11M, 15:$9M

(Maybe A Gordon, B Butler or Greg Holland can be added)

Philadelphia:

C Lee 13:$25M, 14:$25M, 15:$25M, 16:$27.5M club option ($12.5M buyout)

(Maybe Papelbon, Hamels, Howard or others might be added)

LAD: ???

Toronto:  ???

Minnesota:  ???

Cubs:  ???

Seattle:  ???

San Diego:  ???

CWS:  ???

NYM:  ???

Miami:  ???

Houston:  ???

[/QUOTE]

Out of that list, Id love to get Shields. Without a doubt.

[/QUOTE]

This past winter, I spoke of getting Shields, but was told over an over that the Rays would never trade him within the division. I then mentioned that maybe we could make a trade with the team that does get him, which turned out to be KC- a team dropping from contention.

Shields is better than a 2 month rental, but he'll be a FA after 2014, unless we extend him. Gallardo's not put up the numbers Shields has, but he's signed through 2015.

[/QUOTE]

Im not a fan of Gallarado. The WHIP is very scary amongst other things. Shields, although one less year, will have a much bigger impact on this team IMO. We would have had to pay much more than KC did if we were to try and get him. Better to see if KC is willing to deal. Still gonna cost a lot im sure.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If I could preface that I'm just spitballing the idea of Lee, or someone of that caliber including that type of salary. Even with $$$ coming off the books next year, coupled w/ the fact that the guys we might assume are taking their place [ Ex: Ellsbury's $9M to Bradley's 500k?, Drew's &9.5M to Iglesias' $2.6M (or is it $3.56M?) ], and the players that they're already paying league minimum to (Ex: Middlebrooks, Nava, Doubront), not to mention it's conceivable Boegarts might win a position next year which would mean not having to sign another over-priced FA. Lee's contract still might cripple them? That my friend is disappointing to say the least. I'm hearing the horns shouting: " Wha!...wha!...Whaaaaaa....". 

"Crippling" might be a bit  of hyperbole, but $25M takes up a lot of budget space (about 1/7th).

Here's how next year's budget looks (using average contract yearly salary):

$16.5M Lackey (then club option at min. wage*)

$13.25M Dempster (then FA)

$13M Victorino (then $13M for 2015 and then FA)

$13M Ortiz (then FA)

*$13M Club Option on Lester (with $.25M buyout

$7.5M Buchholz (through 2015 with club options for $13M '16 & $13.5M '17 w .5M buyout)

$6.75M Pedroia (signed through 2014 with 2015 club option @ $11M w $.5M buyout)

$5M Gomes (then FA)

$3.1M Breslow (then FA)

$3.1M Ross (then FA)

Sub Total: ~$81.5M without Lester (9 players)and $93M with Lester (10 players).

Arbitrations:

Uehara (3 of 3) made $4.25M in 2013 > $6M

Bailey (3 of 3) made $4.1M > $5.5M

Aceves (3 of 3) made 2.65M > $3M

Bard (2 of 3) made $1.86M > 1M (or DFA'd)

Iglesias (IFA signing) made $2M > $3M (?)

Morales (3 of 3) made $1.49M > $2M

Miller (3 of 3) made 1.48M > $2M

Tazawa (1 of 3) made $815K > $1.25M

Carp (1 of 3) made $508K > $1.25M

Sub Total Arb estimate: $25M (9 players)

Doubront (pre- arb, then 3 arbs) made $518K

Nava (pre-arb, then 3 arbs) made $505K

Mortensen (pre-arb, then 3 arbs) made $505K

Kalish (pre-arb, then 3 arbs) made $498K

Middlebrooks (pre-arb) made $498K

Pre-arbs that make $490K this year: Bradley, Britton, Butler, de la Rosa, de la Torre, Hassan, Holt, Lavarnway, Vazquez, Wilson, and Wright.

Sub Total Pre-Arb estimate: $8M (16 players)

TOTAL : ~ $127M (35 players with Lester) / 115M (34 players with no Lester)

That's a total of 31-35 players depending on Lester and Bard, but a few other players might be dealt or cut (Butler, Hassan, Wright)

5-10 players (Rule 5 pending) that might be added to 40 man roster this winter or lost: add about $3-4M to the total.

40 man roster total: ~$130M with Lester/ $119M without Lester

The following players will be eligible for the 2013 Rule 5 Draft if they are not added to the 40-man roster by November 20, 2013:

Mario Alcantara, Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Carson Blair, Xander Bogaerts, Bryce Brentz, Chris Carpenter, Garin Cecchini, Keith Couch, William Cuevas, Keury De La Cruz, Luis Diaz, Leonel Escobar, Derrik Gibson, Dreily Guerrero, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Jayson Hernandez, Chris Hernandez, Peter Hissey, Brandon Jacobs, Jeremy Kehrt, Aaron King, Aaron Kurcz, Juan Carlos Linares, Mario Martinez, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Nefi Ogando, Gerardo Olivares, Yunior Ortega, Oscar Perez, Rafael Perez, Mathew Price, Anthony Ranaudo, David Renfroe, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Brandon Snyder, Alfredo Soto, Kyle Stroup, Francisco Taveras, Raynel Velette, Jose Vinicio, Kolbrin Vitek, Stefan Welch, Shannon Wilkerson, Brandon Workman, Madison Younginer

So, basically our luxury tax budget will be between $119 and $130M depending on Lester, plus the player pension ($11.1M?) and the Dodger payment of $3.9M for 2014 (then one more for 2015). 

The final number will be about:

$134M without Lester

$145M with Lester

If you add Cliff Lee's 14:$25M, 15:$25M,16:$27.5M club option ($12.5M buyout) He is actually guaranteed $62.5M for 2014 and 2015, but I think his luxury tax number is $24M per year ($120M/5).

That would put us at $158M without Lester and $169M with Lester. That doesn't leave too much room for other FA signings or extensions of current players, but it is doable.

Sox4ever

About 18-20M with lester and 30M without. I think they pick up the option though and give him 2014 to completely straighten things out. Getting Lee without Philly taking on no money would be a mistake IMO. Usually you would like to hold over 10-12M or so for in season moves opr deadline deals. That leaves very little wiggle room.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Im not a fan of Gallarado. The WHIP is very scary amongst other things. Shields, although one less year, will have a much bigger impact on this team IMO. We would have had to pay much more than KC did if we were to try and get him. Better to see if KC is willing to deal. Still gonna cost a lot im sure.

I agree. I'm not against trying to win here and now, but it will be costly to our future, in terms of the boatlaod of prospects need to get a guy like Shields or the huge contract cost to get someone like Cliff Lee.

Probably the best we can realistically do is someone like Gavin Floyd.

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I agree. I'm not against trying to win here and now, but it will be costly to our future, in terms of the boatlaod of prospects need to get a guy like Shields or the huge contract cost to get someone like Cliff Lee.

Sox4ever

Gavin Floyd is out for the year. Pitched poorly , then went on the DL.  Not sure if it is Tommy John or something else , but he is done for this season , at least. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

Gavin Floyd is out for the year. Pitched poorly , then went on the DL.  Not sure if it is Tommy John or something else , but he is done for this season , at least. 

[/QUOTE]

Missed that.

Thanks.

I doubt we find a top of rotation type SP this deadline. Cliff Lee will not cost much in prospects if we take on his whole salary, but I'm not too high on him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Missed that.

Thanks.

I doubt we find a top of rotation type SP this deadline. Cliff Lee will not cost much in prospects if we take on his whole salary, but I'm not too high on him.

[/QUOTE]

I think there will be plenty of suitors for Lee if Philly makes him available and their new TV contract will easily allow them to eat some money for a better haul of prospects.  Based on Lee's comments this week, he wants to go to a contender, so they will likely at least listen. Texas, Baltimore, Boston, NY, Arizona, St. Louis would all likely have interest, among others.  He's the type of pitcher who will likely remain pretty consistent over the next few years, despite his age.  I think the prospect return will be a lot greater than you think.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Missed that.

Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind getting Lee , if it didn't cost top prospects. Easy for me to say , as it is not my money.  Maybe we could fast track Ranaudo and/or DeLaRosa.  They just might be better than what is available.  Certainly cheaper.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to klaus1954's comment:

Priorities will be assessed just before the trading deadline. Sounds reasonable to me.

And an awful lot can change between now and then...and likely will...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

True enough.

Maybe Philly would just give Lee away if we ate all his contract and took on Howard's as well.

LOL!

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

True enough.

Maybe Philly would just give Lee away if we ate all his contract and took on Howard's as well.

LOL!

Sox4ever

Haha!  Take the Howard contract and they might throw in Domonic Brown for Victorino!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

DB is a keeper.

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

DB is a keeper.

Sox4ever

And then some...The kid hasn't had a smooth ride, though.  If he was one of ours, he would of been crucified many times over on this board, yet he's only 25.

In Fort Myers, lots of people were saying Middlebrooks is the best young right handed power hitter the Sox have developed since Jim Rice.  "The ball just sounds different coming off his bat, so athletic, such improved defense, tremendous make up..."  Look at him in the eyes of the fans now...Coming back from a wrist injury, suffering a rib injury, the adjustment that opposing teams made being inevitable, the pressure to live up to some pretty lofty expectations...Can't be easy...Hopefully he is able to do what Brown has been able to do after a tough go at it...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

[QUOTE]

DB is a keeper.

Sox4ever

And then some...The kid hasn't had a smooth ride, though.  If he was one of ours, he would of been crucified many times over on this board, yet he's only 25.

In Fort Myers, lots of people were saying Middlebrooks is the best young right handed power hitter the Sox have developed since Jim Rice.  "The ball just sounds different coming off his bat, so athletic, such improved defense, tremendous make up..."  Look at him in the eyes of the fans now...Coming back from a wrist injury, suffering a rib injury, the adjustment that opposing teams made being inevitable, the pressure to live up to some pretty lofty expectations...Can't be easy...Hopefully he is able to do what Brown has been able to do after a tough go at it...

[/QUOTE]

2 guys to watch:

D Brown        .282  19  48  (.900 OPS)

Goldschmidt  .313  15  59  (.955 OPS)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to theglobesuks' comment:

If Papelbon is available and the price is low (keeping in mind that for Philly this would be a salary dump) how could you not make that deal?

The biggest decision to me is Jacoby Ellsbury. If there is a sucker out there willing to trade prospects for him - take the deal. I don't see any way the Red Sox meet Boras' demands - which will not be muted by Ellsbury's slide to mediocrity. The odds are he finds some fool of a GM to offer a stupid deal to Jacoby. In a league where the Angels were willing to pay Josh Hamilton $125 million over five years there will be team that offers Ellsbury $100 million - or about three times what he is worth.

Then you lose his offense. If Jake can be the 300BA 370OBP guy with 50+ steals, then you lose a ton for production at the top of the lineup that cant be made up this year. You would lessen lour chances of going anywhere this year. That just seems painfully obvious to most of us hoping for this team to go deep into the PO this year. Who cares if he walks after the year. We get a comp pick. In the last 3 weeks Ellsbury's line is 

.373 .439 .542

Oh, and 16SB. It obviously wont stay there, but you can see what hes capable of when he gets red hot. Hes worth more to us then what we would get back.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Missed that.

Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

I think there will be plenty of suitors for Lee if Philly makes him available and their new TV contract will easily allow them to eat some money for a better haul of prospects.  Based on Lee's comments this week, he wants to go to a contender, so they will likely at least listen. Texas, Baltimore, Boston, NY, Arizona, St. Louis would all likely have interest, among others.  He's the type of pitcher who will likely remain pretty consistent over the next few years, despite his age.  I think the prospect return will be a lot greater than you think.

[/QUOTE]

The cost will not be worth it in the long run IMO.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Missed that.

Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The cost will not be worth it in the long run IMO.

[/QUOTE]

I hope we learned our lesson. 

While I can see a Lee and Schilling analogy, I seriously doubt it will be worth it. Schilling cost us prospects, but not a huge part of our player budget as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Man. We gotta shop smart. Might have to shop S-Mart.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Missed that.

Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind getting Lee , if it didn't cost top prospects. Easy for me to say , as it is not my money.  Maybe we could fast track Ranaudo and/or DeLaRosa.  They just might be better than what is available.  Certainly cheaper.  

[/QUOTE]

RDLR won't happen because this is his first full season  recovering from TJ and is certainly approaching an innings limit.  Ranaudo is an interesting case.  I've heard a few scouting reports that still question his consitency with his offspeed pitches but his success this year is undeniable.  If there is any validity to those reports then I would have to be at least skeptical that he could carry that through to the MLB level (especially from double A).  Pitching depth is a huge asset of the clubs system but I feel like all the prospects are "almost" there but not quite there.   I know the team has been very adamant about developing pitching depth the last couple years so it will be interesting to see how they chose to use that this year. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Disco63. Show Disco63's posts

First priority is another starting pitcher. Buchholz is uncertain (health) and Lester is DONE.  Anyone that doesn't think that Lester is DONE is a fool.  He has been far below average long enough now to make the conclusion that he is at best now, a 4th or 5th starter.  April and part of May this year were obviously anomolies.

Next priority would be another RH power bat.  Now that may change over the next 6 weeks.  If Gomes starts hitting with power and Middlebrooks comes around, then this is no longer a priority. 

Iglesias needs to play more.  Now of course he won't continue at this pace, but if he can maintain a .270-.280 pace, then he's your starter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

DB is a keeper.

Sox4ever

2 guys to watch:

D Brown        .282  19  48  (.900 OPS)

Goldschmidt  .313  15  59  (.955 OPS)

Nobody is getting either of those guys. They are the best players (hitting wise) on both of those teams and are under team control for at least 3 more years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I just want to reiterate that I'm very curious to see what kind of moves the Sox make this year.  They have definitely made efforts to bring in and develop pitchers the last couple years and now that the system is strong there do they make some trades or do they let these kids come up.  With all of the depth we have we could package Webster/Owens with a few other guys to land a big arm and still have Barnes and Ball in the orginization.  

I wouldn't be surprise if this years deadline is a bit lackluster than what others suspect.  I'd almost rather take on some salary for a couple years to forgo giving up top prospects.  but that's just my opinion. 

Sections
Shortcuts