Trading Deadline - 3B Chip Available

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Trading Deadline - 3B Chip Available

Bogaerts up to .250 at AAA, not bad for a 20 year old and the youngest player in the IL.

Middlebrooks with MLB experience, hitting .290, but Red Sox not bringing him up.

And lastly...

Garin Cecchini up to .412 at Portland now. He's only 22 but not a power hitter.

They also have Snyder and Holt to see what they can do at the Major League level.

Though his stock is down, the Red Sox can package Middlebrooks/Renaudo, Workman or Britton/Hassan/Swihart and use that package for Cliff Lee.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Trading Deadline - 3B Chip Available

In response to ADG's comment:

Bogaerts up to .250 at AAA, not bad for a 20 year old and the youngest player in the IL.

Middlebrooks with MLB experience, hitting .290, but Red Sox not bringing him up.

And lastly...

Garin Cecchini up to .412 at Portland now. He's only 22 but not a power hitter.

They also have Snyder and Holt to see what they can do at the Major League level.

Though his stock is down, the Red Sox can package Middlebrooks/Renaudo, Workman or Britton/Hassan/Swihart and use that package for Cliff Lee.

Thoughts?

With Will Middlebrooks' stock down, that package is unlikely to land Cliff Lee.

For what it's worth, Philadelphia has a couple of promising thirdbase prospects:

http://www.phoulballz.com/2013/07/prospect-jam-at-hot-corner-for-phillies.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

I be dam if they trade anyone for Lee.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Bogaerts is a stud.  I think cecchini is too.  A lot of people think cecchini will hit for power as he has the project able body for it and he's had plenty of doubles power in the minors.  Let's also keep in mind that most prospects don't develop power until they reach the upper minors.  this developmental path is due to two things; the Carolina league is a pitchers league and power isi usually the last tool to develop.  Now this should come with a disclaimer; just because the power should come doesn't mean it will.  I can see cecchini being a very productive hitter with lesser power in left field in the mold of Mike Greenwell.  If the power comes I can see him at first base as  his 3rd base glove is very pedestrian.   Middlebrooks might be the odd man out but the talent is there and could come into play later this season.  One thing is for sure, 3B depth is very heavy in the system and while considered a weaknessearlier in the season is becoming top heavy at the corner. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Just say no to Cliff Lee

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

IMO Ranaudo is untouchable....

Untouchables regardless of return;

Ranaudo

Rubby

Webster

Xander

Marrero

Owens

JBJ (even ifElls resigns)

Swihart

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Marrero, really?  

While I'm not giving up on the guy yet he's looking like he could be a bust right now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Marrero, really?  

While I'm not giving up on the guy yet he's looking like he could be a bust right now.

I think he beats out Iggy and Xander is the LF

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Xander is more than likely 3B and not an outfielder.  I'm also a little curious as to why you think Marrero is ahead of Iggy?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

My guess is that at least one of those guys moves off of 3rd.  If the worst that happens to us is Bogey forces WMB to 1st, and Cecchini forces Bogey to RF, it won't ruin my day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

NO on Lee.   Bogaerts only real untouchable, but agree Rubby, Webster, & Ranaudo should be " only if the offer knocks our socks off " expensive.

Re: Garin Cecchini...haven't seen, only know the numbers, but ...Hugh is correct, power may come later.  Prior to M.L. , Jeff Bagwell never showed much power. And I recall another Sox 3b guy with few HR, had a pretty fair career, named Boggs, Wade Boggs.

However Cechini only just got to AA.....let's not get too excited about him yet. Front office not ready to : 1) write off Middlebrooks      2) permanently move Bogy off ss    3) forget about Almanzar.....at this time or any time soon. Bogaerts being tried at other positions in order to open possible doors to big leagues more quickly.

IF trade (s) to be made at all, expect smaller type moves involving AA & AAA excess, e.g. Britton, Workman, Hassan, Butler, Almanzar, Dela Cruz,possibly Brentz,

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Xander is more than likely 3B and not an outfielder.  I'm also a little curious as to why you think Marrero is ahead of Iggy?

I thought Marrero was a reach, but his OPS in his last 56 abs is .850 with an 8/7 K/W, 36/43 in SBsm and a .993 fielding %.  I'm just not seeing any obvious fit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

I thought Marrero was a reach, but his OPS in his last 56 abs is .850 with an 8/7 K/W, 36/43 in SBsm and a .993 fielding %.  I'm just not seeing any obvious fit.

[/QUOTE]

While he has been better lately those numbers don't exactly scream top prospect.  Marrero I believe is less than one year younger than Iglesias in single A and Iglesias has abetted glove and better offensive numbers in the bigs now....with the potential to get better; Iglesias is light years ahead of Marrero in terms of value and MLB careers potential.  

Agree at least one of those guys moves off third and possibly two but everything I've heard about Ceccchinis defense at third has labeled it very pedestrian.  Bogaerts would likely make the better third baseman and is even taking some innings there in Pawtucket now.  Cecchini could very well end up in a corner spot and may even have the arm for right.  If his projected power evolves he could even play 1st.

A perennial top prospect is going to play the position they likely will play best (all thingsconsidered) and won't move to find a spot.  Bogaerts will play wherehe plays best and adds the most value.  If he can play a decent SS then odds are he has all the tools to be an above average 3Bman.  If that's where he lands then he won't move for Cecchini....cecchini will move for him. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Marrero was definitely a reach.  A lot thought the red sox were lucky to draft him where he fell.....but perhaps he was falling for a reason.  He does fit the mold of the player the Sox often really like.  That is a guy who pretty already has the defensive tools to be an above average defender at a premium position with the chance his bat develops.  They look at Marerro and see a kid who could play SS or 2B now and hope his bat develops.

The good thing is I think even if Marrero is a bust he might be the kinda guy that still makes it to the majors because he can play every infield position.  That might not be the sexiest thing and what people want to hear because he was a first round pick but there is value in that.