1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

Re: Trading Josh Beckett would be a mistake

I AGREE .. DON'T TRADE BECKETT.!  

KEEP LESTER BECKETT AND BUCHHOLZ

TRADE YOKUILIS FOR BIG STARTING PITCHER AND JOHN LACKEY 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I find it hard to believe that Josh Becket was a follower. I dont see how Abraham can throw this on John Lackey, "as his belief" without some facts to back that up. I don't think anyone wants to trade Becket unless you can get some value for him, so I dont understand his point there either. Based on his history there is no reason to believe Beckett is going to have a great year next year and if this clubhouse is ever going to be fixed and have the right guys leading it, then Management is going to have to make some moves.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

In Response to Re: Trading Josh Beckett would be a mistake:
    I find it hard to believe that Josh Becket was a follower. I dont see how Abraham can throw this on John Lackey, "as his belief" without some facts to back that up. I don't think anyone wants to trade Becket unless you can get some value for him, so I dont understand his point there either. Based on his history there is no reason to believe Beckett is going to have a great year next year and if this clubhouse is ever going to be fixed and have the right guys leading it, then Management is going to have to make some moves.
    Posted by tomnev

Totally agree, I think lackey is poison (basing that on no real facts, just his demeanor on the mound), but Beckett is a big boy...pun intended. This problem was happening in Florida when McKeon said he had to lock the clunhouse during games to keep Beckett and Penny out.  To make Lackey the scapegoat is not fair.

I hope Beckett gets his act together, cause when he's focused he can pitch with the best of them.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Trading Josh Beckett would be a mistake:
    By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff Don't trade Josh Beckett. It's a bad idea. You're angry with him enough to send emails, call radio stations and curse his name. But take a step back. Beckett had a 2.89 earned run average and a 1.02 WHIP over 193 innings. The Red Sox were 20-10 in games he started. Beckett also has two World Series rings and a 3.07 ERA in 93.2 career postseason innings. The Red Sox are in no position to get rid of good starting pitchers. Beckett took the ball 30 times and 24 times he allowed three earned runs or less. Beyond that, you'll never get close to equal value in return for him. Beckett earned his 10/5 no-trade rights last season and can either refuse a trade or dictate where he goes. So that will cut down the market. The Red Sox already need to find at least one decent start via trade or free agency. Getting two would be incredibly difficult. Beckett can be a pain in the neck and he was wrong to hang around the clubhouse drinking beer when games were being played. But that can be fixed. Beckett looked up to John Lackey and it's my belief that Lackey poisoned the well and was the ringleader more than Beckett was. Get rid of Lackey what whatever the cost and take away Beckett's playmate. Get a manager who will enforce the basic rules of conduct. Get a pitching coach who will stand up to him and Beckett will do his job. The Red Sox lost because their starting pitching was atrocious. Trading Beckett makes that problem worse. The idea is to win games, not exact revenge. Beckett didn't get drunk and drive through an orphanage in a dump truck. He had a few pops in the clubhouse during the game. It was wrong and he needs a kick in the butt. But you don't trade somebody for that.
    Posted by 2004Idiots

The only way I would trade Beckett to the Cubs is with Lackey.

Beckett and Lackey Approx. 33mil
    Castro, Zambrano and Ramirez
    Approx. 33mil

Save Davids money towards pitching, put Youk or Ramirez at DH and sign Buehrle or CJ Wilson along with Wang who is fully recoved and would be a very low risk/high reward like Aceves.  Aceves could also start if we signed Madson for middle relief.  The addition of Castro would be huge

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

Abraham got his gig drooling over the Yankees for years ... honestly: would you have a Lakers hack (Mark Kriegel, anyone?) talk about Celtics culture or needs?

Nah.

Abraham is an average writer who is very, very new to town.  And has a lot of learning ahead of him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FastEddie50. Show FastEddie50's posts

A message from Yankee Universe:
    Please keep Fatty Beckett.  His beer gut and chicken lust will provide entertainment for years to come.  One good year in the last 3 or 4.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Trading Josh Beckett would be a mistake:
    Abraham got his gig drooling over the Yankees for years ... honestly: would you have a Lakers hack (Mark Kriegel, anyone?) talk about Celtics culture or needs? Nah. Abraham is an average writer who is very, very new to town.  And has a lot of learning ahead of him.
    Posted by ABQDan

Actually IMHO Abraham is a pretty good baseball writer and a life long Sox fan, who knows where his bread is buttered. He gets paid to be the Red Sox beat writer and thus has to walk a tight rope so that he doesn't paint himself into a corner and lose access to the clubhouse and the players. I don't always agree with his take but he's not a guy that trys to paint players in a negetive light nor does he spend a ton of time trying to emulate the likes of Shaunessey or Tomasse...both of whom take a national enquierers approach to their respective columns always looking for storylines with negetive slants...

In the end what he writes above is merely his opin and one that makes sense if you remove the emotions and look at things factually...Beckett has value and is still a pretty good pitcher...One that if the new skipper and pitching coach set him straight on what is and is not acceptable behavior can be one the guys that helps to erase the bad taste in very ones mouths...Remember whatever it was that he did it had to have been facilitated by management to a degree, becasue in the end like it or not the culture and disipline comes from the top...

Lackey is an entirely different animal and for his sake and that of the teams I see no alternative than to move him. which is easier said than done...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Why would the Cubs take the source of our disease and why would Theo knowing what sunk his team bring Lackey to Chicago?  He knows better than anyone what ruined his former team.  We are stuck with Lackey and will have to trade or rehabilitate Beckett.  It seems unfair that the homeboy Theo can just leave and force us to suffer with his horrible decisions but that is the way its works. If I were the sox ownership I would never let him go.  I would pay him for one more year and let him sit and watch Cherington try to bail them out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Trading Josh Beckett might be the best thing to do. His trade value is the highest it will most likely ever be, why not look into it. It might be possible to get younger.

I know all the stats guys will fill me in on his year. But how about the years before that. He was injured and out of shape. And when it mattered most, he disappeared in Sept. Big league pitchers like Verlander and Holladay were in it to win it in Sept. They did not fall out of shape.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

Abraham wrote a teary final post on LoHud about leaving for " - yes, the Red Sox - " .... blah, blah, blah.  Wished he could stay, but $$$ etc. etc. etc.

In any event, he has not been covering the team regularly for long.

He is an average talent as a writer, not embarrassing ala Massarotti ("_____, folks"), but certainly not as readable as many others.

Anyhow, Beckett's value hasn't imploded, and I don't see him pitching us to a WS win in the next several years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Beckett is a meathead...end of story

Sections
Shortcuts