Trading, with an eye to the future

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Re: Trading, with an eye to the future

In Response to Re: Trading, with an eye to the future:
    [QUOTE]3B as traditionally been a position where you can be a little older and still play it and be productive....Schmidt....Ripken....Chipper Jones...and others have benn productive until 36 or so....
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

On the contrary, third base is a position where it is pretty rare for players to be productive through their mid 30s. In the last 50 years, only 23 players have posted a 100+ OPS+ at the age of 35+ (qualifying PA). Only 7 have done so twice.

Hope I'm wrong, but Youkilis doesn't strike me as the best bet to be #8. Unlike Schmidt, Ripken, and Jones, he didn't start as a shortstop and was never a GG candidate defensively at 3B.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trading, with an eye to the future : On the contrary, third base is a position where it is pretty rare for players to be productive through their mid 30s. In the last 50 years, only 23 players have posted a 100+ OPS+ at the age of 35+ (qualifying PA). Only 7 have done so twice. Hope I'm wrong, but Youkilis doesn't strike me as the best bet to be #8. Unlike Schmidt, Ripken, and Jones, he didn't start as a shortstop and was never a GG candidate defensively at 3B.
    Posted by thirtysomething[/QUOTE]

Youk may age quicker than any other player we have.  He gets beat up all the time at the plate " mostly by his own choice" by crowding it and seems to be hurt more frequently these days.  Kevin plays well with pain but I don't see his body holding up at 3B long term.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trading, with an eye to the future : On the contrary, third base is a position where it is pretty rare for players to be productive through their mid 30s. In the last 50 years, only 23 players have posted a 100+ OPS+ at the age of 35+ (qualifying PA). Only 7 have done so twice. Hope I'm wrong, but Youkilis doesn't strike me as the best bet to be #8. Unlike Schmidt, Ripken, and Jones, he didn't start as a shortstop and was never a GG candidate defensively at 3B.
    Posted by thirtysomething[/QUOTE]

YEah, we're no fortune tellers. You answered what "too many years" meant and I appreciate that.

This year @ 3B Youkilis is ranked (AL) 3rd Fld%, 2nd in Putouts, 4th in Games played (@ 3B).  In the past he's a GG 1B that should've won more and could just as well have won the MVP in '08. Plus, it's hard to be a 3B GG candidate when you're playing 1B.
    His thumb injury last year was a total anomaly, wrapped in an enigma, and deepfried in mystery oil. Besides that, he hasn't shown that many signs of wear and tear. He hasn't shown that many signs of falling-off as far as his production goes either.
    I love the DH idea, later in his career or more of a platoon DH/3B/1B/OF and I think we'll see that with the BoSox. But, before we see some injuries that athletes actually get and until some drop-off actually happens, I still think he's playing 3B another 4 years atleast for Boston before the DH role is even considered. I have no reason to think otherwise. Just my take.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Cr-oh for-d represents a long term albatross for the Sox.
    Unfortunately, it would be a miracle if Westmoreland ever plays
    organized ball, again. His motor functions were seriously impaired by his huge operation.
    I wish him the best.