Trading Youk?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Trading Youk?

So Gordon Edes has jumped on the "trde Youkilis" bandwagon, possibly semi-aware that the market for a 32yo oft-injured $11mill corner infielder is not fully formed in early May.   also possible to gain some readings fans by declaring himself a devotee of Middlebrooks, a small bright spot in the season to date.

I really don't see the market for Youkilis once he returns.  Possibly Milwaukee would give up Francisco Rodriguez for him, preferring an actual MLB 1B over an $8mill middle reliever.  The problem with this move is, Rodriguez is not exactly lighting it up, and there is no reason the Sox should bother with him.

They could use an OF, as we all saw tonite.  At some point, possibly Ellsbury and Crawford return, but an actual outfielder in the mean time might not be so bad.  Juan Carlos Linares is certainly not the answer.  Neither is Daniel Nava, although he is probably a better one than Linares.

If you are looking to move a 3B for an outfielder, the logical team to deal with is the Angels.  They are struggling just as bad as Boston, yet conversely after an off-season of heavy spedning and high expectations, and also with minimal injuries.  Thier OF, even without Abreu, is a logjam.  And 3B has become a parade of utility INF and displaced OF. 

In return, the Sox should insist on Torii Hunter.  He makes more $$$ than Youkilis, and gives the Sox something close to a middle-of-the-order bat they can play in RF.  The Angels could still get by with an outfield of Trumbo-Bourjos-Trout with Kendrys Morales platooning at DH with Vernon Wells. Stability!

The big issue is Hunter's 10/5 rights and desire to stay with the Angels.  He'd probably veto.  The only reasons he might not are 1) he does seem to be friends with Crawford and might not mind coming here to join him and 2) its only for less than one year.

If he refuse, the Sox do have another 3B to deal - yes, Middlebrooks.  Undoutedly the Angels would prefer to move Bourjos for Middlebrooks.  Pass.  Like the Sox need more struggling and injured outfielders.  However - would they move Trout?

It would seem crazy for them to deal their highest profile prospect in team history, and they might be reluctant.  On the other hand, Middlebrooks is barely a year and a half older and has certainly hit hit ground running, and plays the tougher position to develop, and one of current need.

It does seem crazy to trade the #2 overall prospect for a guy who couldn't crack the top 40.  And that is probably part of the reason why the Cubs never traded their hot young #2 ranked CF prospect Corey Patterson to the Cardinals for their mid-ranged 3B prosect (ranked #42), some kid named Pujols.  And good thing for the Cubs they didn't!  (Wow, scary parallel! Where did notin dig that one up?)

Oh, wait. Which one turned out better?  And by how much? You listening, Jerry DiPoto?

Trout for Middlebrooks?  I'd do it.  I know I'm just buying into the hype, but really that is all there is for either of these kids...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Trading Youk?

Excellent post, I'd hate to see it get burried by posters who create 5 new threads a day and then pump their own work over and over again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

notin always has thoughtful posts. He got my vote for 
    "Poster of the Year: 2011" .

His post got me wondering if LAA would take Youk, Barnes, Ranaudo, and Cecchini for Trout. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

There is no way the Angels are trading Trout.  Other than Bryce Harper he is the best prospect around. 

I also highly doubt that Tori Hunter is going to get moved - he has the added dimension of being the leader of the Angels - so why would they trade him for a sore-backed, grumpy Youkilis?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...so why would they trade him for a sore-backed, grumpy Youkilis?

Look at who is playing 3B for them now (combined .648 OPS with 1 HR).

Youk is grumpy at BV, not the Angels.

I admit, we'd have to give up more than what I offered, but it  was a starting point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy stilleatsworms. Show MikeNagy stilleatsworms's posts

Good post

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Trading Youk?:
    [QUOTE]...so why would they trade him for a sore-backed, grumpy Youkilis? Look at who is playing 3B for them now (combined .648 OPS with 1 HR). Youk is grumpy at BV, not the Angels. I admit, we'd have to give up more than what I offered, but it  was a starting point.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Kevin Youkils has an OPS of .635 this season with two homeruns.

The Angels rank sixth in the American League this season with 1.1 WAR* from the thirdbase position while the Red Sox rank ninth at 0.2.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

First off, the Angel's highest profiled prospect ever, was Rick Reichhart, back in the mid 60's .He was a cover boy, touted as the new Mickey Mantle. Ex Wisconsin footballer, built like Atlas. Higest paid "bonus baby" ever, at the time.
    Had a journeyman career, and never reached his touted potential.
    I would never trade Middlebrooks for an outfielder. Period.
    The position with the fewest Hall of Famers is 3rd base. Very good ones are hard to find.
    Based on the eye and reading reports, Middlebrooks has a chance to be one of the few.
    Now, trading Youkilis for OF or pitching help in a package, well that's a good idea.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trading Youk? : Kevin Youkils has an OPS of .635 this season with two homeruns. The Angels rank sixth in the American League this season with 1.1 WAR* from the thirdbase position while the Red Sox rank ninth at 0.2. * Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Of course no trade would happen unless Youk got healthy. Are you saying the Angels would not want a healthy Youk, because his small sample size OPS so far is .635?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddimaria. Show ddimaria's posts

[QUOTE]Excellent post, I'd hate to see it get burried by posters who create 5 new threads a day and then pump their own work over and over again.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. Some people like to "hear" themselves talk.... online... lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Well he certainly isn't being traded until he gets his back back on the field and produces.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

At this point trading contracts with the Angels might be more of a chance.

Youk, Brentz, Cecchini and Beckett for Wells, Trumbo, a prospect and Santana.

Santana and Beckett could probably benefit from a change of scenery.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

If Youk gets traded, it must be for a decent starter.  The bullpen is in good shape, and the lineup, while imperfect, is a whole lot better than the pitching rotation. 

If Youk is not traded, they will put him back at 3B and move Middlebrooks. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Yeah. let's just trade the best young player on the team and in the system, so we can keep a broken down, over the hill malcontent.
    BRILLIANT!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]At this point trading contracts with the Angels might be more of a chance. Youk, Brentz, Cecchini and Beckett for Wells, Trumbo, a prospect and Santana. Santana and Beckett could probably benefit from a change of scenery.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Where would Trumbo play in Boston?  1B: AGon, 3B: Middlebrooks, OF: Crawford, Ells, Wells DH: Papi/Lava (unless you let Papi walk and have Lava start 100+ games behind the plate).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Forget about getting established major league talent for Youk At least forget about getting anyone good. That ship probably sailed a couple of years ago. In my opinion the Red Sox, were they to trade Youk, which I'm not saying they should yet, should look to load up on high A and AA talent and look to the future. I think the ideal role for Youk unless or until this season proves irredeemable is as the backup 3B, 1B and DH. As far as moving him should that prove prudent later on, the Reds could be an interesting partner. They currently have Scott Rolen manning third with his 0.566 OPS and they have some intriguing looking guys in Bakersfield and Pensacola in Tony Cingrani, Billy Hamilton and Daniel Corcino. They could really impact Pawtucket and Portland over the next year. Maybe if we threw in Beckett we could get all 3.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trading Youk? : Of course no trade would happen unless Youk got healthy. Are you saying the Angels would not want a healthy Youk, because his small sample size OPS so far is .635?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I agree that a healthy Youk is something the Angels definitely could use, however, getting him back to a healthy state (meaning the Angels believe his propensity for the DL is over) is going to be a problem for the Sox simply because he must play to show he is healthy and the question then becomes Midddlebrooks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Trading Youk?:
    [QUOTE]So Gordon Edes has jumped on the "trde Youkilis" bandwagon, possibly semi-aware that the market for a 32yo oft-injured $11mill corner infielder is not fully formed in early May.   also possible to gain some readings fans by declaring himself a devotee of Middlebrooks, a small bright spot in the season to date. I really don't see the market for Youkilis once he returns.  Possibly Milwaukee would give up Francisco Rodriguez for him, preferring an actual MLB 1B over an $8mill middle reliever.  The problem with this move is, Rodriguez is not exactly lighting it up, and there is no reason the Sox should bother with him. They could use an OF, as we all saw tonite.  At some point, possibly Ellsbury and Crawford return, but an actual outfielder in the mean time might not be so bad.  Juan Carlos Linares is certainly not the answer.  Neither is Daniel Nava, although he is probably a better one than Linares. If you are looking to move a 3B for an outfielder, the logical team to deal with is the Angels.  They are struggling just as bad as Boston, yet conversely after an off-season of heavy spedning and high expectations, and also with minimal injuries.  Thier OF, even without Abreu, is a logjam.  And 3B has become a parade of utility INF and displaced OF.  In return, the Sox should insist on Torii Hunter.  He makes more $$$ than Youkilis, and gives the Sox something close to a middle-of-the-order bat they can play in RF.  The Angels could still get by with an outfield of Trumbo-Bourjos-Trout with Kendrys Morales platooning at DH with Vernon Wells. Stability! The big issue is Hunter's 10/5 rights and desire to stay with the Angels.  He'd probably veto.  The only reasons he might not are 1) he does seem to be friends with Crawford and might not mind coming here to join him and 2) its only for less than one year. If he refuse, the Sox do have another 3B to deal - yes, Middlebrooks.  Undoutedly the Angels would prefer to move Bourjos for Middlebrooks.  Pass.  Like the Sox need more struggling and injured outfielders.  However - would they move Trout? It would seem crazy for them to deal their highest profile prospect in team history, and they might be reluctant.  On the other hand, Middlebrooks is barely a year and a half older and has certainly hit hit ground running, and plays the tougher position to develop, and one of current need. It does seem crazy to trade the #2 overall prospect for a guy who couldn't crack the top 40.  And that is probably part of the reason why the Cubs never traded their hot young #2 ranked CF prospect Corey Patterson to the Cardinals for their mid-ranged 3B prosect (ranked #42), some kid named Pujols.  And good thing for the Cubs they didn't!  (Wow, scary parallel! Where did notin dig that one up?) Oh, wait. Which one turned out better?  And by how much? You listening, Jerry DiPoto? Trout for Middlebrooks?  I'd do it.  I know I'm just buying into the hype, but really that is all there is for either of these kids...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

notin, with all do respect I think the market for a guy like Youk at 1B "if healthy" and producing would be much greater.   I like the idea of bringing in Papi's buddy "Hunter" but Youk in my opinion won't be traded to become a 3B if anyone has a clue.  IB or DH appear to be the only positions that may extend his career at this point.  Rodriguez is just another bad chemistry move like putting so many Texans in the starting rotation and I doubt he could help this team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

IF Youk can come back healthy and produce, we might get something of value in return , but only if he can play and demonstrate healthy, consistent production.

Meanwhile, as long as HE keeps producing, what do you do with Middlebrooks to get Youk playing time ?
    Pawtucket for two weeks ? Folks might be on Yawkey Way with torches & pitchforks. Put in the outfield ? Forget it. How about a few games at shortstop ?
    It was his original position way back when.

Barring major improvement in next 1 1/2 moonths, we may be MAJOR sellers in mid- to late- July. I wouldn't be averse to seeing what young arms might be available for Beckett, Matsuzaka,Albers,Buchholtz, Melancon, Saltalamacchia, Youkilis, Crawford ( very unlikely ), Byrd, Aviles McDonald,Ross, and maybe even Lester. We could step back and replenish while lowering payroll enough for possible free agents in 2013 hot stove season. Young arms !

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]IF Youk can come back healthy and produce, we might get something of value in return , but only if he can play and demonstrate healthy, consistent production. Meanwhile, as long as HE keeps producing, what do you do with Middlebrooks to get Youk playing time ? Pawtucket for two weeks ? Folks might be on Yawkey Way with torches & pitchforks. Put in the outfield ? Forget it. How about a few games at shortstop ? It was his original position way back when. Barring major improvement in next 1 1/2 moonths, we may be MAJOR sellers in mid- to late- July. I wouldn't be averse to seeing what young arms might be available for Beckett, Matsuzaka,Albers,Buchholtz, Melancon, Saltalamacchia, Youkilis, Crawford ( very unlikely ), Byrd, Aviles McDonald,Ross, and maybe even Lester. We could step back and replenish while lowering payroll enough for possible free agents in 2013 hot stove season. Young arms !
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]Another excellent baseball post jimed. Can I call you jimed?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The issue is Youk is running out of time to come back, get healthy, prove he is capable, and most importantly prove he is consistent and can stay healthy. All this before July 31st?

Then, what about Middlebrooks? If Youk has to play everyday to prove himself, are we really going to send Middlebrooks back to AAA?

The other side of the question is, if Youk comes back strong, and we get back in the race, and Middlebrooks begins to struggle in AAA, we may need Youk's RH'd bat to have any chance.

There are many layers to this issue, but I say we stick with Middlebrooks and look for a way to get something of value for Youk. Chances are it won't be a quality pitcher, unless the contract is large or we take on another player's contract.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trading Youk? : Another excellent baseball post jimed. Can I call you jimed?
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Was just repeating the same old bs I've been spouting all along.
    You can call me anything except "progressive", Keynesian,racist, Owebama voter, or late for dinner.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Does it matter what's for dinner?

Sections
Shortcuts