Travis Shaw

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Travis Shaw

Instead of siging another retread why can't the Sox bring in Travis Shaw to camp and give him a shot.Whatever happened to OJT? (On the Job Training)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Travis Shaw

I've mentioned Shaw as my sleeper prospect several times, but I do not think he can be ready for MLB in 2013.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Isn't he a tad young and raw for what the Sox need:  dependable and established bat/D at 1B.  He is a lefty, though, correct?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Travis turns 23 this April and bats left/throws right. He can also play some 3B.

He started 2012 in A (.957 OPS) and got just over 100 PAs in AA (.781 OPS). Overall, in about 450 PAs he had 19 Hrs and 47 2B+3Bs and 85 RBIs. Impressive! He also had 115 Ks.

Scouting Report: Left-handed corner infielder, with filled out frame. Not overly athletic. Displays strong plate discipline and advanced approach. Sweet spot for pitches down and in due to upward swing path. Average batspeed. Needs improvement covering outer third.  Can be long with his swing, but stays back to hit inside of the ball.   Gap-to-gap hitter. Solid-average power potential.  Strong pull power into right-centerfield gap. Plays both third and first base defensively. Not enough range and quickness to play third. Learning how to play first base. Shows skills to handle position, but feet are on the slow side.  Hands are not overly soft. Son of former major league pitcher Jeff Shaw. Previously drafted in the 32nd round in 2008 by the Red Sox, but elected to attend Kent State instead.  Excellent work ethic and makeup.  Student of the game.  Batspeed will be tested in upper levels.  Ceiling of an average regular on a second division team.

from soxprospects.com

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Travis Shaw is a guy who is pushing is ceiling right now.  He wasn't ever seen as a viable prospect, and people question if he has the tools to hit at a higher level.  Granted he will answer those questions this year and if he performs he will shoot up the ladder.

But there is no way he is MLB ready, it would be disastrous.  It's a nice thought that he emerges as a top prospect and plays in late 2014/2015.  But he still has a lot to prove.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Travis Shaw is a guy who is pushing is ceiling right now.  He wasn't ever seen as a viable prospect, and people question if he has the tools to hit at a higher level.  Granted he will answer those questions this year and if he performs he will shoot up the ladder.

But there is no way he is MLB ready, it would be disastrous.  It's a nice thought that he emerges as a top prospect and plays in late 2014/2015.  But he still has a lot to prove.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but he comes from good pedigree, and he does turn 23 this year. 66 extra base hits in 450 PAs last year is nothing to sneeze at.

I do think it is way to risky to pressure him this year to make a big jump from A/AA in 2012 to MLB in 2013. (At best he may be a September call-up, if everything goes right.)

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hes not ready yet, but Im eager to see if he can continue his progress with AA.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hes not ready yet, but Im eager to see if he can continue his progress with AA.

[/QUOTE]

He may move up to AAA sometime in 2013.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think he will spend 2013 in Portland (well that's kinda a given)  But if he starts out on a tear I don't think they will hold him much longer and he will get the nod for Pawtucket.   It's going to be exciting to watch him this year.  I know as a said before the consensus on him (at least early scouting reports) was he would not produce at a higher level.  But talent evaluators can be and have been wrong.  Some of the best MLB talent have been guys that came out of nowhere?

Thats just the reality of prospects.  Odds are 2 guys in our top 5 will never really amount to anything, and a few may come out of nowhere and be stars.

Is Shaw that gem? I dunno....but one can get excited and hope so, no?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I think he will spend 2013 in Portland (well that's kinda a given)  But if he starts out on a tear I don't think they will hold him much longer and he will get the nod for Pawtucket.   It's going to be exciting to watch him this year.  I know as a said before the consensus on him (at least early scouting reports) was he would not produce at a higher level.  But talent evaluators can be and have been wrong.  Some of the best MLB talent have been guys that came out of nowhere?

Thats just the reality of prospects.  Odds are 2 guys in our top 5 will never really amount to anything, and a few may come out of nowhere and be stars.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!

Thats why i sometimes find a AA game more exciting than an MLB game. Last year was a good year for that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!

Thats why i sometimes find a AA game more exciting than an MLB game. Last year was a good year for that.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  I'm excited for next season.  I always try to make it to a few Sox games every year but I now live a few minutes away from the New Britain rock cats .  They play in the Eastern League so I'm going to try and go to every game they play against Portland.  I'll be sure to share what I see on here. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'll be going to some Sea Dogs' games, so I hope to see Travis and others a lot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll be going to some Sea Dogs' games, so I hope to see Travis and others a lot.

[/QUOTE]

Same, I live walking distance from Hadlock. Excited to see all of the prospects play. Should be a good year for the Sea Dogs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

AZ 55, Travis  probably appreciates many of the positive , uplifting comments made in this thread.

I hope to see some of the contributors at a Sea Dog game or two this summer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

WHO ??????   Was his great, great, great grand dad at the ALAMO ????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Same, I live walking distance from Hadlock. Excited to see all of the prospects play. Should be a good year for the Sea Dogs.

[/QUOTE]

I used to live behind Deering High School.

A bunch of us from this site are going to a Sea Dogs game this summer, maybe meet at the Pizza Villa beforehand. Keep watching the realsitic site for an update sometime in late May/early June.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

WHO ??????   Was his great, great, great grand dad at the ALAMO ????

[/QUOTE]

His dad was the great Jeff Shaw.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Absolutely!

Agreed.  I'm excited for next season.  I always try to make it to a few Sox games every year but I now live a few minutes away from the New Britain rock cats .  They play in the Eastern League so I'm going to try and go to every game they play against Portland.  I'll be sure to share what I see on here. 

Im about 30mins from Portland and enjoy a good AA game. The Rock Cats are the Twins AA team right?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

AZ 55, Travis  probably appreciates many of the positive , uplifting comments made in this thread.

Ill be there Mad...Hopefully carnie and Moon will too...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It would be great to get 5-6 poaster together for a Sea Dogs game.  Should be fun.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It would be great to get 5-6 poaster together for a Sea Dogs game.  Should be fun.

Yeah, that could be an interesting afternoon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Absolutely!

Im about 30mins from Portland and enjoy a good AA game. The Rock Cats are the Twins AA team right?

Thats right, I just looked it up.  For some reason I thought it was the rockies affiliate for a while (and the sox before that)  But I guess it went from the Sox to the Twins in 95.

I'm jealous that so many of you are closer than I am to Boston, and Portland.  Oh well it might be a good excuse to use some of my vacation time this summer and go on a couple mini trips.  I wouldn't mind checking out the team down in Salem also. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

To those who plan to visit The Peoples Repbulic of New England for some baseball, please don't forget to join Warren Buffet and his cousin, Obama, in visiting the online Bureau of the Public Debt to make a gift to the public debt to help the poor, women, blacks and hispanics, and the middle class.

Not needed Softy. Which category do you fall into? For a person who seemingly has a fair amount of baseball smarts, you sure do post a lot of nonsense. Why not stick to baseball? It suits you better. Peace