Trayon Robinson DFA"d by Baltimore

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Trayon Robinson DFA"d by Baltimore

Why not?

His not necessarily worse  than some of the other LF options the Sox have right now...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Trayon Robinson DFA

I'd rather see Linares get a shot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

sure...store him downin Pawtucket just incase...Not very impressive numbers at all...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

A 10th rounder.

Never rated in the top-100 prospects.

786/304 K/W in the minors.

MLB career K-rate of ~ 36%.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Why not?

His not necessarily worse  than some of the other LF options the Sox have right now...

why is it every time a player is from another team is released... Sox should check out this guy.? Are you saying that sox should pick up all the scraps. Since the end of last year sox should have a 500 man roster. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

Why not?

why is it every time a player is from another team is released... Sox should check out this guy.? Are you saying that sox should pick up all the scraps. Since the end of last year sox should have a 500 man roster. 

one mans trash is another mans treasure..... Big Papi was a retread from the twins...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Here is a video of Trayvon Robinson's great catch in his 2011 MLB debut with the Seattle Mariners:

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=17696683&c_id=mlb

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to donrd4's comment:

Why not?

one mans trash is another mans treasure..... Big Papi was a retread from the twins...

Papi wasn't really a retread.  He had 20 HRs and a .839 OPS.  It wasn't that he did not have value, the Twins just didn't want to take their chances in arbitration.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTChris. Show CTChris's posts

Why not?

The Sox 40 man roster is at 40. Picking him up would require the Sox to expose somebody to waivers. My question is who is he better than that currently occupies a spot on the 40 man and is he really worth keeping that spot on the roster all season? Remember, if he's not on the 40 man roster, the Sox would have to offer him back.

The only option I can see is for the Sox to put Kalish on the 60day DL to make room. But they would still have an issue once Kalish returns later this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to CTChris' comment:

Why not?

The Sox 40 man roster is at 40. Picking him up would require the Sox to expose somebody to waivers. My question is who is he better than that currently occupies a spot on the 40 man and is he really worth keeping that spot on the roster all season? Remember, if he's not on the 40 man roster, the Sox would have to offer him back.

The only option I can see is for the Sox to put Kalish on the 60day DL to make room. But they would still have an issue once Kalish returns later this year.

That would not necessarily be a bad tactic at all.  But I suspect that there may be better OF prospects out there that would be a better gamble.

But to answer an earlier question, why "Sox should check out" every guy who is released?  Because that is what good GMs and their staffs do.  This time of the off season is for building organizational depth, and the waiver wire is where most of that happens.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to CTChris' comment:

Why not?

And there are probably another 100 guys that were morely highly rated than Robinson.  Why Robinson as opposed to Brandon Woods, etc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

A 10th rounder.

1.  Who cares about draft pick? Kason Gabbard was drafted ahead of Ian Kinsler.  Does it make him better?

2.  Ditto for prosepct rankings.  Corey Patterson was #2.  Should the Sox trry him?

3.  K-rate in the minors was was not 36%...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

A 10th rounder.

1.  Who cares about draft pick? Kason Gabbard was drafted ahead of Ian Kinsler.  Does it make him better?

2.  Ditto for prosepct rankings.  Corey Patterson was #2.  Should the Sox trry him?

3.  K-rate in the minors was was not 36%...

I try to create a balanced scorecard approach to these things.  When players are highly drafted, or highly ranked, they probably posessed a fair amount of talent at some point.  If a guy was never highly ranked, either prior or after the draft, it probably means he doesn't have talent.

Basically, I'm looking for a reason to pick him up.  I'm not seeing it.

The fact that he has a better K-rate in the minors than the pros is to be expected.  It was 30% in AAA, so you should expect it to get worse in the pros.  Even if he could maintain his 30% K-rate that he had in AAA, that is still 200 Ks at the pro level.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Yup!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

Yup!

Linares is a right-handed hitter, and won't hit LHP as well as Gomes...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wasn't Trayvon a big part of the Bedard trade?

Someone thought he had value.

With Kalish out, what's the harm?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Yup!

Silly me ... thought I was responding to Linares v. Robinson.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

With Kalish out, what's the harm

In a three-team deal at the trade deadline in 2011, Seattle received outfield prospects Trayvon Robinson and Chih-Hsien Chiang in exchange for lefthander Erik Bedard and reliever Josh Fields.

The Mariners designated Chiang for assignment in June 2012 before outrighting Chiang to Double A Jackson when the former Boston prospect cleared waivers.

In November 2012, the Mariners traded Trayvon Robinson to the Orioles for Robert Andino, who is expected to fill the role of backup infielder this season.

Bedard spent part of 2012 with the Pittsburgh Pirates and last month signed with the Houston Astros. Bedard will be joined in Houston by Fields, whom the Astros took in the Rule 5 draft in December after the Red Sox left the righthander off their 40-man roster.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

With Kalish out, what's the harm?

In a three-team deal at the trade deadline in 2011, Seattle received outfield prospects Trayvon Robinson and Chih-Hsien Chiangin exchange for lefthander Erik Bedard and reliever Josh Fields.

The Mariners designated Chiang for assignment in June 2012 before outrighting Chiang to Double A Jackson when the former Boston prospect cleared waivers.

In November 2012, the Mariners traded Trayvon Robinson to the Orioles for Robert Andino, who is expected to fill the role of backup infielder this season.

Bedard spent part of 2012 with the Pittsburgh Pirates and last month signed with the Houston Astros. Bedard will be joined in Houston by Fields, whom the Astros took in the Rule 5 draft in December after the Red Sox left the righthander off their 40-man roster.

Thanks. I remember hearing at that time that Robinson was a good prospect.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Yup!

Silly me ... thought I was responding to Linares v. Robinson.

It's not.

It is about finding a left-handed compliment to Gomes.  It is Robinson vs Nava or Sweeney.

Sections
Shortcuts