Troy Tulowitzki

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Troy Tulowitzki

...so, anyone who gets a big contract is a "prima donna"?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox deal for him. It would depend what's going back to Colorado. The guy is solid RH hitter that would hit 30+ HR's a yr in Boston. Not sure why everyone is so scared of big contracts now. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tulo has had a plus .900 OPS for 3 straight seasons at ages 24-26. 

He has 2 "Derek Jeter" awards...Umm, I mean, Gold Gloves.

His range factor/9 is over 5!

Yes, he is overpaid, but only until 35- not 37 or 38 or 40+.

I wouldn't give up the world to get this guy due to his high salary, but if they'd take Lackey (to offset some of the cost), I'd give up Iggy, Cecchini, Britton, and Owens as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Never heard anything negative about his character.

So, why is he suddenly a "prima donna"????? Or is that just part of calling anyone you don't like, names?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I wouldn't give up the world to get this guy due to his high salary, but if they'd take Lackey (to offset some of the cost), I'd give up Iggy, Cecchini, Britton, and Owens as well.

In the event Colorado makes Troy Tulowitzki available, the Rockies would seek baseball's elite prospects, not John Lackey and the listed Red Sox prospects.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

I for one think that Pedro is our SS of the future. if Tulo played 1st, it would be worth looking at.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

What kinds of crapola logic is that?
    Tulo is 27 years old and a 2 time Gold Glove SS.

SS is an important position, and Tulo is one of the best.

Ciriaco is a journeyman, who's a butcher in the field.

Any more stering ideas?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]What kinds of crapola logic is that?

Any more stering ideas?[/QUOTE]
    Would you trade Jon Lester, Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes and Jackie Bradley Jr. for Troy Tulowitzki?

I'm not sure that would be enough to get the attention of the Colorado front office.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

The Rockies need pitching, pitching, and more pitching. It would have to involve a third team and a bunch of our top prospects to even approach an offer they'd think about.

[/QUOTE]

Moonslav---you heard it from me first.  We could trade those two pitchers we got from the Dodgers who the Red Sox are talking big time about.  The fact is DeLaRosa is an empty suit.  He has a 97 mile fastball and a two cent brain.  He throws; he does not know how to pitch.  In his short stint with the LA Bums he was constantly criticized for his pitch selection and his inability to put hitters away.  The other guy always seems to be a guy who pitches well enough to lose.  If  their potential is that sky high maybe we could convince the Rockies to take a chance on them if we throw in a couple of other prospects as  well since we have to assume their front office is not as stupid as ours is.  Remember, we did NOT get their best pitching prospect.   That is Zack Lee.  We got two who will disappoint; that is my prediction.  I live in the Los Angeles area and I saw DeLaRosa pitch.  There is a lot less there than meets the eye.

Besides, we also need a first baseman now that we lost both Gonzales and the young and up and coming Anthony Rizzo.  James baLoney is a total zero who can't hit, can't run has no power and is a cipher in the leadership and spirit department.  Unless Cherington is a total idiot (which is pretty close to my opinion of him) he must let this bum walk and try to sign Swisher or hope that Adam LaRoche is available.  Tulo would be good for us too, but there is talk about moving him to third and we have a good young player there in Will Middlebrooks.  Let's not screw this kid up as the team did with Bard, Anderson, Kalish and so many others.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Rockies need pitching, pitching, and more pitching. It would have to involve a third team and a bunch of our top prospects to even approach an offer they'd think about.

[/QUOTE]

Moonslav---you heard it from me first.  We could trade those two pitchers we got from the Dodgers who the Red Sox are talking big time about.  The fact is DeLaRosa is an empty suit.  He has a 97 mile fastball and a two cent brain.  He throws; he does not know how to pitch.  In his short stint with the LA Bums he was constantly criticized for his pitch selection and his inability to put hitters away.  The other guy always seems to be a guy who pitches well enough to lose.  If  their potential is that sky high maybe we could convince the Rockies to take a chance on them if we throw in a couple of other prospects as  well since we have to assume their front office is not as stupid as ours is.  Remember, we did NOT get their best pitching prospect.   That is Zack Lee.  We got two who will disappoint; that is my prediction.  I live in the Los Angeles area and I saw DeLaRosa pitch.  There is a lot less there than meets the eye.

Besides, we also need a first baseman now that we lost both Gonzales and the young and up and coming Anthony Rizzo.  James baLoney is a total zero who can't hit, can't run has no power and is a cipher in the leadership and spirit department.  Unless Cherington is a total idiot (which is pretty close to my opinion of him) he must let this bum walk and try to sign Swisher or hope that Adam LaRoche is available.  Tulo would be good for us too, but there is talk about moving him to third and we have a good young player there in Will Middlebrooks.  Let's not screw this kid up as the team did with Bard, Anderson, Kalish and so many others.

[/QUOTE]

de la Rosa is still young. He is 23. He is a prospect not a sure bet.

I'm not sure Tulo needs to be moved to 3B. He has had one of the best ranges in MLB the past 3 years, until the injury. I'd make sure he is healthy before I make any deal for him.

If he does move to 3B, we could always move Middlebrooks to 1B. If he stays at SS and Middlebrooks keeps up the good work at 3B, I could see Bogaerts at 1B someday. I'm also very high on Travis Shaw, but more like 2014 to 2015.

My guess is we will get a short-term 1Bman (Morneau?) or just go with Gomez, Sands, and Papi at NL parks, and maybe even Salty here and there as Lava plays more at catcher. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's probably a bit unfair to De La Rosa - if he had been an eligible prospect at the start of the season, he's probably ranked above Zach Lee.  And who expects a 22-year-old kid to be a great pitch caller?  He should just aim for the glove and listen to his catcher.

If De La Rosa regains his velocity, we'll have something special.  I'm not terribly high on Allen Webster.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

My comment was about moving Tulo to 1st, while making room for Ciriaco at SS.

Defies logic.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

[QUOTE]

My comment was about moving Tulo to 1st, while making room for Ciriaco at SS.

Defies logic.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't suggesting moving him to first, i was stating that if he was a first baseman, it would be worth making a deal for him, but to bring in another SS when we need other positions filled, is just a waste of money (my opinion) We need pitching, pitching, pitching, as well as a first baseman

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fortunately, there is no chance that Tulo's massive contract will become a dead asset for the Red Sox. Tulo is a Colorodo roller derby rink hitter, whose best days are in the past. He's not a fit, at all, and that's a good thing because paying him Crawbust money well into his thirties is not good business. Moving him to 1st base to try and justify his laughable contract is laughable.

[/QUOTE]

His away numbers per 650 PAs:

.275  25  88  (.347 OBP/.467 SLG/ .814 OPS)

And, while his numbers are certainly helped by playing in Colorado, we should also know that by being in the NL West, he plays a lot of games in "pitcher's parks" in LA, SD and SF.

He has 1600 PAs in Colorado, but almost 800 in SD, LA, SF and AZ combined:

SD .761

LA .763

SF .814

AZ  .664

He has an .867 OPS in interleague play (260 PAs). Pro-rate his numbers to 650 PAs:

.259  38  92

BTW, his prorated numbers vs the Yanks?

.381 54 108

He does turn 28 soon, and his best years may certainly be behind him, especially if he is traded out of Colorado. His contract is way too high, but he is not a bum or a "prima donna". I'd give it less than a 1% chance of him being traded to Boston. I'd love him on this team, but I wouldn't give up Bogaerts, Bradley or Barnes to get him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Since when is 28 year old past a baseball player's prime?? Especially a power hitter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Prime is usually recognized as about 27-29, and with Tulo recovering from a serious injury, he may be past his own personal prime.

He may also have 4-6 or even more big years to go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]What kinds of crapola logic is that?

Any more stering ideas?[/QUOTE]
    Would you trade Jon Lester, Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes and Jackie Bradley Jr. for Troy Tulowitzki?

I'm not sure that would be enough to get the attention of the Colorado front office.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't give up anything close to that package.  He costs $155M/9.  It's a nice price, but I wouldn't empty the farm for that type of contract.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats a lot to give up...26mm over the next 2 years then He will be paid 20mm per til the age of 34...Can he hold up? Id rather not start paying high salaries to oft injured players...Even guys like Tulo...Those same prospects could net us a solid starter. Although Owens looks like he could be one...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats a lot to give up...26mm over the next 2 years then He will be paid 20mm per til the age of 34...Can he hold up? Id rather not start paying high salaries to oft injured players...Even guys like Tulo...Those same prospects could net us a solid starter. Although Owens looks like he could be one...

[/QUOTE]

I agree that Tulo is a risk, but I also do not see us seriously competing without having a franchise type player up 3rd or 4th in the next 1-2 years. I'm OK with waiting a year, but just as some of our prospects will grow in value, some may fall sharply and no longer be good trade bait.

Sections
Shortcuts