Troy Tulowitzki

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Troy Tulowitzki

How about Lackey (to balance the cash a bit and maybe become the next Burnett), Bradley, Webster, Iggy and one of Britton, Pimental or Raunado?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

At least Notin and Moon get it.
    This is an elite player in his prime.
    If he passes the physical, and the Sox doctors think he's fine,
    who are any of us to say otherwise?

Since when does getting hit in the wrist by a pitch, a sign of being injury prone?

It happens very frequently as in ARod and Middlebrooks this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How about Lackey (to balance the cash a bit and maybe become the next Burnett), Bradley, Webster, Iggy and one of Britton, Pimental or Raunado?

[/QUOTE]

Jerry Remy really Praised Lackey During The Game Tonight, Said He,s Been Working Hard
    To Get Back In Form, I Say Lets See Whats Left In The Tank This Spring.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If we wait and see if Lackey can pitch well, he could bring back something in a july trade. With that extra year at the minimum, that will make him even more attractive to more teams.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If we wait and see if Lackey can pitch well, he could bring back something in a july trade. With that extra year at the minimum, that will make him even more attractive to more teams.

[/QUOTE]

I Agree Triple 7.......

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Did he give the Rockies back any salary for all the time he missed this year?  Just what we need is another SS.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bogaerts could very well see time in Boston next year. He advanced to AA and had no issues with adjustments. Still a little raw, but developing quickly. I have no issue with him in LF if SS doesnt work out for him. With his offensive tools, I DO NOT offer him in ANY trade at this point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

If we start with the end in mind, as in the roster construction of the 2013 squad with an eye on the 2015 team. The Red Sox have many needs. At the top of the list is replacing Gonzalez with another middle of the order run producing lefthanded bat. The next to-do is to then add another impact bat to replace Youkilis. One that projects to be a #3 or #4 type and this player ideally would be righthanded and/or a switch hitter.

Tulowitzki is that type of player, whether hes available or not is irrelevent, so too is his contract terms and his oft injured nature. When healthy he's among the best players in the game and his aquistion certainly warrants discusion. The moneys hes owed are commensurate with like players with like production. Thats the nature of the game today, if you want a proven middle of the order bat they dont come cheap and they also come with a warning lable attached (*this player is signed to a longterm deal. One that might prove to be of lesser value in the last years due to the players age and projected decline).

End of the day, Tulowitzski represents the type of player the Sox likely will look to add. A player whos contract is such that the value to his current team is in getting out from under the debt service of the contract. Thus the expected return in player value will be based on how much of the contract the aquiring team assumes (see LA Dodgers).

My point is that if the Sox see Tulo as worthy of his current deal and Colorado is in fact looking to move him due to the terms of his contract. It wont take our top prospects to aquire him, more likely is they would probably include another a player/contract they want to get outr from under as a condition of the deal and take less in return.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tulo is a very good fielder.

Tulo brings power and other offense from a position of normally little offense.

He will be expensive in more than 1 way (money and loss of prospects via trade).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

No thanks !!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bill, he's not "fat".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

still think it would be a big mistake...just hot stove talk..but I go on record as being against a move like that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

still think it would be a big mistake...just hot stove talk..but I go on record as being against a move like that.

[/QUOTE]

My guess is he would be too costly for a player with a risk and possible age decline looming. I think we can do better, but I like getting big hitters in positions of normal league weakness as long as they can field well, and Tulo is a very good fielder at the important SS position.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Ciriaco is a flash in the pan, butcher in the field, and Inglesias can't hit.

So Fako the Lawyer, thinks that's better than having one of the elite players at 27 years old,in the game at SS.

Wow!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

If the Sox are going to send a bunch of top prospects somewhere, I'd much prefer Tulo to Justin Upton.  Barnes & Webster are in the top 100 on most scouts' lists, and if De La Rosa regains his velocity, he'll be in the same company.  They could put together a better package than most teams that can afford his contract.  It's a nice thought - I can hear the "TU-LOS BET-TER" chants now.

But I don't think he'll be available - a SS with a good glove and elite bat is even rarer than an ace.  I can't think of another SS even in his class - Rollins maybe.  

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tulo is a very good fielder.

Tulo brings power and other offense from a position of normally little offense.

He will be expensive in more than 1 way (money and loss of prospects via trade).

[/QUOTE]

Moon,

Tulowitzski is an impact middle of the order bat that plays a premium defensive position. A player still in his prime and signed to a long term deal. A player that is also a good clubhouse guy who shows up to play everyday. More importantly is that in terms of roster construction he also fills a need because of the position he plays (SS) and hes a legit #3 /#4 hitter one that would slot nicely if we were also able to aquire/sign a lefthanded/swith hitter to "protect him" (see below "lineup).

Whats not to like? The answer...The terms of his deal and his oft injured resume are both issue that need to be given proper weight when afixing a value on his aquisition. Therein lyes the conundrum for Cherington and the Rockies. In deal of this nature leverage is the key and much depends on the desire of the the Rockies to move him v the Sox desire to aquire him (see Adrian Gonzalez to the Dodgers). If they are indeed willing to move him or more important are looking to move him. Cherington can leverage the moneys owed to him in term of the value in players in return. If we, like the Dodgers in the Gonzalez deal are the aggressors and covet Tulo then the Rockies have all the leverage and the cost of aquisition will be prohibitive...the devils in the details...

Projected Lineup with Tulo

CF Ellsbury

2B Pedrioa

DH Ortiz (if resigned and/or if we think big Hamilton)...

SS Tulowitzski

LF Ross (if resigned?/ )

3B Middlebrooks

C Saltalamaccia

1B Job Opening

RF Kalish/Sweeney

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Projected Lineup with Tulo

CF Ellsbury

2B Pedrioa

DH Ortiz (if resigned and/or if we think big Hamilton)...

SS Tulowitzski

LF Ross (if resigned?/ )

3B Middlebrooks

C Saltalamaccia

1B Job Opening

RF Kalish/Sweeney

The problem with that is that it doesn't address our real needs, which is better starting pitching

Buchholz

Lester

Doubront

Lackey

Morales?

If I'm paying nearly $20M for someone, I'd prefer a top of the rotation SP.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The take from a Denver Post columnist:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21553589

Sections
Shortcuts