True? Pedroia claimed that Ellsbury loves Boston and would love to stay there??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: True? Pedroia claimed that Ellsbury loves Boston and would love to stay there??

I used to think the Ells' issues with the medical staff here would mean no resigning in Boston. But now i think he would seriously consider it, but he isn't taking a hometown discount and I don't see Boston seriously entering the bidding war for his quality (but overpriced) services...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: True? Pedroia claimed that Ellsbury loves Boston and would love to stay there??

In response to redsoxandguitars' comment:

False.

Ellsbury is using Pedroia to try and foster Red Sox fans pressure on Red Sox ownership to guarantee a 100 million plus market to increase his market value. The Red Sox should express no interest in hopes of moving the Crawbust market precedent down so it improves the cost of future FA the Red Sox would get a value and fit on. 

What do you think this prima donna is going to say, I hated Boston and was mistreated and would like to remove Boston from the bidders for my FA auction. 

Like is only in millions... Ells likes Boston for 80 mil but he really loves anyplace else fo 100+ mil.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He deserved it, but his family must have been absent when Ellsbury was correctly hammered for missing nearly half the games in the last half a decade. I doubt they care "how he's treated", as any player that signs a massive contract is going to be accountable to fan critics wherever he goes. And that's how it should be. 

Fortunately, the fans love him for having helped us win two WSC's in the past 7 years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Zero chance that Ellsbury returns. You can thank Shane and Bradley for that, fortunately. 

You're right, Shane was a great signing.  Thank you for finally coming to your senses.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

Bradley has little to nothing to do with Ellsbury. He is probably in AAA next season.

In fact, Shane and Bradley have everything to dow with Ellsbury being gone. Red Sox aren't going to turn down Beltran and gurantee Ellsbury 100 million plus. Won't happen, pal. 

Bradley won't be in AAA for much longer, pal. Take a look at his numbers since he was called up in September. Once he knows that the yo-yo "push back his FA date" game is over, he will settle in and provide equal or better value than the guranteed gone Ellsbury. 

Really? From what ive seen of bradley his defense is average, his speed is average and he looks really overmatched at the plate......could that change? yeah it could but it also may never be better than what weve seen and in my eyes that is well short of what Els brings to the table...

I have no problem with starting JBJ next year, but to be honest, I was surprised by how much better Ellsbury was on defense.  I wouldn't put too much stock in it, since it was a small sample, but he several balls he was frozen on, or turned badly on.

But he also looks pretty driven.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Actually he regressed after May, .256 in June, .224 July, .253 in Aug, He also struggled year before too, after All-Star break in Double AA.

Ellsbury jumped 3 levels in 07, and never looked back. 08 Starting CF, had a good Rookie year.

Part of the problem for RS fans is that we've come to expect a lot of stars.  Ellsbury is a great player.  JBJ might only be average, but average, at league minimum, is still a very nice value.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Actually he regressed after May, .256 in June, .224 July, .253 in Aug, He also struggled year before too, after All-Star break in Double AA.

Ellsbury jumped 3 levels in 07, and never looked back. 08 Starting CF, had a good Rookie year.

Part of the problem for RS fans is that we've come to expect a lot of stars.  Ellsbury is a great player.  JBJ might only be average, but average, at league minimum, is still a very nice value.

You hit the sweet spot..... Average for a nice contract ( league minimum)  even a little over. There has to be a solution to wasted millions. Heck ,How many million dollar players can bunt? None on the sox.  Sox got very nice value this year... Good Point you made......

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Bradley has little to nothing to do with Ellsbury. He is probably in AAA next season.

In fact, Shane and Bradley have everything to dow with Ellsbury being gone. Red Sox aren't going to turn down Beltran and gurantee Ellsbury 100 million plus. Won't happen, pal. 

Bradley won't be in AAA for much longer, pal. Take a look at his numbers since he was called up in September. Once he knows that the yo-yo "push back his FA date" game is over, he will settle in and provide equal or better value than the guranteed gone Ellsbury. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Bradley in the big leagues next year (before being really ready) would give the Sox that elusive 'replacement player' meaning a AAAA player who gives you average defense, something like a .240/.315/.385 5-6 HR's and maybe 35-40 RBI's from the 9 hole.

Ellsbury had a WAR of 5.8 this season. So even if Bradley has a WAR of 1.8, his presence in CF costs the red Sox FOUR wins alone next season. For a team with DEEP pockets trying to repeat as World Series Champions (and whose best power hitter and closer are 37-38 years old) that is unacceptable.

But that's Softy for you. Cheap out as much as possible at the expense of WINS and put a less competitive product on the field, cuz ya know, it's his money right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

IF Ellsbury really wanted to play in Boston, all Ellsbury has to do is tell Scott Boras to work out the best deal possible with the Red Sox.  That is what Matt Holliday did when Boras worked out Matt's contract with the St. Louis Cards.  Case closed and Ellsbury is with the Red Sox for the next 4-6 years, good or bad.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to BoSoxfan56's comment:

One of the WEEI morning guys (either Dennis or Callaghan, but I can't remember which) said he was at Fenway for the ALCS and talked to some of Ells' family (although he said they had no idea who he was, but why would they?) and they said they wanted him to re-sign with the Sox as they know what he has in Boston, but doesn't know how he'd be treated anywhere else. Not sure if that would affect Ells decision one way or the other.  I'd like to see him stay, but would not like to see him receive any more than a 5 or 6 year contract.   As far as him being injured often, two of those injuries were just freak things and lets give him credit for getting back quickly after breaking his foot and playing hurt with some kind of hand injury.

It was John Dennis. He said he sat with Jacoby's family during one of the series games and they all said including each family member that they all including Jacoby wanted to stay in boston. He loves playing here and does not want to go any place else.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

It was John Dennis. He said he sat with Jacoby's family during one of the series games and they all said including each family member that they all including Jacoby wanted to stay in boston. He loves playing here and does not want to go any place else.

Any reasonable offer is going to set him up financially for the rest of his life, so I guess we'll see how badly he wants to remain in Boston.

IIRC the Sox have already offered him $100MM so what is he going to buy with anything more than that that he can't afford with $100MM?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Any reasonable offer is going to set him up financially for the rest of his life, so I guess we'll see how badly he wants to remain in Boston.

sox owners are already set 4 life

so I guess we'll see how badly they want him  to remain in Boston.

IIRC the Sox have already offered him $100MM so what is he going to buy with anything more than that that he can't afford with $100MM?

do you think if they don't resign ells

JH will lower prices will put some of that money into this site ;-)

seriously I don't think it's about what they can or can't buy

I think  it's  about being competitive

when you think U R the best U want to be paid as such

I think theses guys would be happy with 1/2 their salary

as long as they were the highest paid at their position

I think part of ortiz's problem all those yrs was

friends & family asking why that other guy got the multi yr deal

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

With 2 rings as the starting CF for the Boston Red Sox it wouldn't be a stretch to say that Ellsbury is one of the greatest ever CF to ever roam the wall to the garage to the triangle.  right softy?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

sox owners are already set 4 life

so I guess we'll see how badly they want him  to remain in Boston.

do you think if they don't resign ells

JH will lower prices will put some of that money into this site ;-)

seriously I don't think it's about what they can or can't buy

I think  it's  about being competitive

when you think U R the best U want to be paid as such

I think theses guys would be happy with 1/2 their salary

as long as they were the highest paid at their position

I think part of ortiz's problem all those yrs was

friends & family asking why that other guy got the multi yr deal

We tend to talk about John Henry as if he IS the Red Sox.  Like he sits down and writes out personal checks the the players every month.  But that's not the way it is.  The Boston Red Sox is a business and the personal wealth of the owners has little (some, but little) to do with what a business pays its employees. 

Any CEO worth his salary knows what he can pay out and have the business still make a profit.  Because the Red Sox are a privately owned corporation the public doesn't know how much money the Red Sox make, nor do we know what their revenue is from each source or what their expenses - beyond players salaries - are.  But you can bet that someone in the FO knows - which has a bearing on how much the business can pay its employees.

I agree that for some players it's about being competetive, but at some point that competitiveness becomes greed.  I greatly admire Pedroia for the attitude that he's got enough with his current $100M+ contract(!) and not going to FA.  I also realize that it's pretty easy to take that position with $100M in your pocketm- but at the same time he could have become Cano and talked about getting 3X that. 

It's hard for me to respect the position of Ellsbury, who will undoubtedly get a king's ransom for playing baseball for the next five or six years and could stick around and possibly get another WS ring too, but instead holds out for a king's ransom-and-a-half from someone else just so he can know that he's making more than someone else.   But that has no bearing on what I see of him as a player on the field and I DO still want him back.  Probably because it's not my money.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

l

[/QUOTE]

We tend to talk about John Henry as if he IS the Red Sox.  Like he sits down and writes out personal checks the the players every month.  But that's not the way it is.  The Boston Red Sox is a business and the personal wealth of the owners has little (some, but little) to do with what a business pays its employees. 

Any CEO worth his salary knows what he can pay out and have the business still make a profit.  Because the Red Sox are a privately owned corporation the public doesn't know how much money the Red Sox make, nor do we know what their revenue is from each source or what their expenses - beyond players salaries - are.  But you can bet that someone in the FO knows - which has a bearing on how much the business can pay its employees.

while all that might be true S5

my  point stands bottom line

either the player or the owners get the extra money

U know the sox can afford whatever they want

I agree that for some players it's about being competetive, but at some point that competitiveness becomes greed.  I greatly admire Pedroia for the attitude that he's got enough with his current $100M+ contract(!) and not going to FA.  I also realize that it's pretty easy to take that position with $100M in your pocketm- but at the same time he could have become Cano and talked about getting 3X that. 

It's hard for me to respect the position of Ellsbury, who will undoubtedly get a king's ransom for playing baseball for the next five or six years and could stick around and possibly get another WS ring too, but instead holds out for a king's ransom-and-a-half from someone else just so he can know that he's making more than someone else.   But that has no bearing on what I see of him as a player on the field and I DO still want him back.  Probably because it's not my money.  

not sure pedrioa is this martyr/ hero some make him out to be

unlike ells , cano & other FA's

he was  3yrs away from being a FA and still got quite a few yrs

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

In response to BoSoxfan56's comment:

One of the WEEI morning guys (either Dennis or Callaghan, but I can't remember which) said he was at Fenway for the ALCS and talked to some of Ells' family (although he said they had no idea who he was, but why would they?) and they said they wanted him to re-sign with the Sox as they know what he has in Boston, but doesn't know how he'd be treated anywhere else. Not sure if that would affect Ells decision one way or the other.  I'd like to see him stay, but would not like to see him receive any more than a 5 or 6 year contract.   As far as him being injured often, two of those injuries were just freak things and lets give him credit for getting back quickly after breaking his foot and playing hurt with some kind of hand injury.

I don't think they should be talking to Ellsbury's family while they are here. Especially, if the family doesn't realize they are talking to the media. That's just wrong all over the place. IMO

well kim, I really wouldn't call John Dennis the media. he's one of the three 6-10 early morning WEEI sports radio talk show hosts. I also heard that their discussion was very matter of factly. In other words, to my knowledge, they didn't speak about money. They were too busy having a blast watching our red sox playing in the world series again.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

l

while all that might be true S5

my  point stands bottom line

either the player or the owners get the extra money

U know the sox can afford whatever they want

not sure pedrioa is this martyr/ hero some make him out to be

unlike ells , cano & other FA's

he was  3yrs away from being a FA and still got quite a few yrs

True that it's not exactly a major financial sacrifice, but saying he's not a hero to Red Sox fans is more than a tad disingenuous, pinstriper.  As you know, his hero status is earned by his day-to-day play and overall commitment to the fans, the city, and the organization.  Saying he's not a hero to Red Sox fans is like saying Jeter, Pettitte, and Rivera are not the heroes some make them out to be either.  

•  
    Sections
    Shortcuts