TRYING LIKE HELL to be +, but I just don't EXPECT them to win

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

TRYING LIKE HELL to be +, but I just don't EXPECT them to win

Night in & night out, I just don't feel or see them being competative.  Even against the Brewers.  

Even when we're getting solid pitching, our bats have yet to show up.

Sorry!  But I'm quickly losing my eternal optimism!

Again....  I'll keep pulling for them, inning after inning, as I always do, but I've got my eyes wide open and know this could get real ugly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Re: TRYING LIKE HELL to be +, but I just don't EXPECT them to win

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Night in & night out, I just don't feel or see them being competative.  Even against the Brewers.  

Again....  I'll keep pulling for them, inning after inning, as I always do, but I've got my eyes wide open and know this could get real ugly.

[/QUOTE]

Remind me who won the World Series last season? They are 10 games in and only a game back. Give it to at least 50 games or so before you push the panic button. Remember, they are the World Series Champs....enjoy that

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to antiqueman1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Remind me who won the World Series last season? They are 10 games in and only a game back. Give it to at least 50 games or so before you push the panic button. Remember, they are the World Series Champs....enjoy that

[/QUOTE]

It's really a simple point.  Not the panic button.  They are simply not playing good baseball, and the bats are anything but consistent.  

RIGHT NOW, I just don't go in thinking they are going to find a way to win.  RIGHT NOW, they are locked into hitting into the double play at an epic rate!  Stunning!

Sure it's early, but the poor hitting is contagious.

positives?

Lester?  Looking great!

Lackey?  Excellent!!

Peavy?  Very good!

Buch & Duby?  Not so great!  Smokin the latter?

The BP is solid.

Naps?  Great!

Pedey?  Pretty solid, will do great as usual

XB?  Love this guy!  Great start!

3rd?  Herrera is aweful!  Middy needs to get his _hit together.  This stuff happens with him far too often!

LF?  I love Nava, but he has been terrible so far!  Whether it's hitting or fielding, he has been BAD!  Gomes better get his _hit together also!!!  Too much flapping the gums in the off season!  Makes it tough to swallow!  SHUT UP!  Quit _itching about the strike zone, & hit the gd ball!

Sizemore?  Love this guy!

JBJ?  GOOD ON HIM!  Nice start!

RF?  Pray like hell Vic comes back strong, but it just doesn't look good!

C?  Let's hope our dynamic duo can fight off Father Time!!!  So far, it's been pretty iffy.

Papi?  Sorry fellas!  I'm disappointed with him, & I could not love the guy more!  My dog is named Papi for crying out loud!!!  BUT let's face it, that body will not stand up over 162.  NO BS!  He is FAT!  I'm very disappointed.  Sure, he's played hit just fine.  Even come up big!!!!  But gdit, we just came up big, & ponied up some big Benjamin's.  so let's cut the _hit!  We stepped up & put up.  To come in FAT & out of shape after all that _itching about an extension is beyond Gaul, nerve, shame!

excuse the rant, but I'm a bit disgusted right now.  We deserve a little more after putting up for him.  Without our rabid support, he doesn't get the big bucks.

SAVE YOUR OUTRAGE!  I'll be back on board, but RIGHT NOW, I'm just not feeling it!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to antiqueman1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's really a simple point.  Not the panic button.  They are simply not playing good baseball, and the bats are anything but consistent.  

RIGHT NOW, I just don't go in thinking they are going to find a way to win.  RIGHT NOW, they are locked into hitting into the double playdouble play at an epic rate!  Stunning!

Sure it's early, but the poor hitting is contagious.

positives?

Lester?  Looking great!

Lackey?  Excellent!!

Peavy?  Very good!

Buch & Duby?  Not so great!  Smokin the latter?

The BP is solid.

Naps?  Great!

Pedey?  Pretty solid, will do great as usual

XB?  Love this guy!  Great start!

3rd?  Herrera is aweful!  Middy needs to get his _hit together.  This stuff happens with him far too often!

LF?  I love Nava, but he has been terrible so far!  Whether it's hitting or fielding, he has been BAD!  Gomes better get his _hit together also!!!  Too much flapping the gums in the off season!  Makes it tough to swallow!  SHUT UP!  Quit _itching about the strike zone, & hit the gd ball!

Sizemore?  Love this guy!

JBJ?  GOOD ON HIM!  Nice start!

RF?  Pray like hell Vic comes back strong, but it just doesn't look good!

C?  Let's hope our dynamic duo can fight off Father Time!!!  So far, it's been pretty iffy.

Papi?  Sorry fellas!  I'm disappointed with him, & I could not love the guy more!  My dog is named Papi for crying out loud!!!  BUT let's face it, that body will not stand up over 162.  NO BS!  He is FAT!  I'm very disappointed.  Sure, he's played hit just fine.  Even come up big!!!!  But gdit, we just came up big, & ponied up some big Benjamin's.  so let's cut the _hit!  We stepped up & put up.  To come in FAT & out of shape after all that _itching about an extension is beyond Gaul, nerve, shame!

excuse the rant, but I'm a bit disgusted right now.  We deserve a little more after putting up for him.  Without our rabid support, he doesn't get the big bucks.

SAVE YOUR OUTRAGE!  I'll be back on board, but RIGHT NOW, I'm just not feeling it!

[/QUOTE]

A lot of truth is your post...5 hits last night but we won & 4 tonight...our offense sucks !!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In truth though - he looks the same to me as he always does.... not sure I would call him out of shape.

[/QUOTE]

Although I can't stand the poster who started it, he does look, FAT, OUT OF SHAPE, & given the early days off..., somewhat uninspired.  Every person I've talked to, all of whom watch 162 per year, say the same thing. He looks real fat.  Period.  IInexcusable!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's still very early, so I have faith, but I think we all know there's a chance this year can be a big letdown.

I still think our offense will come around and be top 3-4.

I still think our starting pitching is top 4-5.

I still think our pen is top 2-3.

Together, that should mean serious contention.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

I was on him as far back as 2011..... I really thought he looked uninspired and of course he was struggling at the plate.  

Back in 2004 when Ortiz and Manny were always on the basepaths he laughed, high-fived, and acted like he was the happiest guy in the world. He lost that by 2007....

Yet, here he hit 30 homers last year and drove in 103 runs ..... only last year.

I give up talking about his attitude and waste line.... maybe in late August I will climb all ove him if he isn't doing his job.

[/QUOTE]

There is not an ounce of joy or desire in speaking the truth!

& I don't want this to become a bash Papi thread!!!!!    He is far from the biggest problem!

They all need to WAKE THE HELL UP at the plate!   PERIOD!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Hi dog....hang in there.  As 'tique pointed out, the Sox are 1 (one) game out of first place. If this 10-game stretch of largely good pitching and largely poor batting resulted in 4 wins and 6 losses between 8 and 18 August we wouldn't have to talk certain posters (not you, I think you are, among other things, pretty level-headed) off the ledge of the 50th floor of the Hancock building.

Pre-season, my biggest concerns, in descending order, were Buchholz' health (for obvious reasons), Papi's health (only because he is so vital) and 3 <24s in the starting lineup.  

After (the tiny sample size of) 10 games?  Buch remains a major concern, Papi looks fine even though he's "only" slugging .500 (;-))....X looks to be, at a minimum, "good enough", Size and JBJ's good starts are encouraging....obviously Midds' injury is a blow (should have signed Drew, still should, as many have pointed out).

But every team has issues!  Health?  15+ day disabled list: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/injuries (I love the Flyin' Hawaiian, but I reckon Hamels and Kershaw are bigger losses to their respective teams) .... and the Devil ("Please, won't somebody think about the children!") Rays haven't even disabled Moore yet.

Performance?  Nava's OPS is a pathetic .356 so far...but Melvin Emanuel Upton's is .310 for a bargain 2,500% or so more salary.  Etc.

Sonics' Last Thought (;-)):  If you could trade the Sox' current/expected 25-man roster for any other team's just for 2014 (forget age, health, prospects, cost, etc.) who would you trade them for?   Me?  I'd only consider the Devil Rays (though losing Moore would be a big blow).....the Montreal Senators (of Teddy Ballgame's MFL) and Earvin "Frazee" Johnson's Street Car Dodgers.  You?

{edit} - Forgot the Cards, maybe them too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

It is way too early. If they were 8 and 2 right now and you were saying that you thought they were going to win it all I would say it was way too early to feel that way as well.  One has to wait until at least June to freak out. It's baseball.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

We must remain CALM......  Ben will take care of this sooooooon !!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

It was just game #10 out of 162.  It's too early to jump into conclusions.  

As the weather gets hotter, so will the Red Sox.   Cool

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is way too early. If they were 8 and 2 right now and you were saying that you thought they were going to win it all I would say it was way too early to feel that way as well.  One has to wait until at least June to freak out. It's baseball.

[/QUOTE]

I have a hard & fast rule of never waiting until June to freak out.  I'm a firm believer in intermittent freak outs! This is very important as a long time life long Red Sox fan.  This is a decades long lesson learned.  It's tried! It's true!  Oh, the NEW bandwagon Sox fans can give you their, "relax!  it's baseball.....  it will all even out" garbage.  Those of us who have been around for the long haul.....  50+ years know better!!!!  We know too well how fragile winning can really be.  This is why we enjoy the highs and lows with equal out of control passion.  As Decarte' said, "we freak out because we are........"   Sox Fans is what he was talking about.  This is a historical fact!  Look it up!  So..........   Carpe diem!  Don't sit back and relax, as Mike Carp famously remarked.  Enjoy the highs!  Gnash your teath at the lows!  You are a Sox fan g d it!  You were born to freak out!  Why else would we appreciate every World Series Win 86 times more than the next winning fan?  This too has been scientifically proven!  Look it up!

Cast off the chains that bind you!  Freak out!  It is your birthright!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

In truth though - he looks the same to me as he always does.... not sure I would call him out of shape.

[/QUOTE]

Good Lord.  David Ortiz has never had washboard abs.  He looks no different to me than he did years ago.

Any Sox fan buying into this 'Ortiz is fat' bullcrap should be ashamed of themselves.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I don't like losing either, and I agree the hitting is down.  But not only are we just 10 games into a very long season, but the Sox are exactly one game out of first place in the AL East.  Plus surely a miracle WS win must allow a modicum of leeway. 

I'm a tad more interested in the pine tar thing last night.  Orsillo and Remy made a huge deal out of it, but apparently the players--the Sox players in particular--don't think it was such a big deal because gripping the ball in cold weather is hard to do.  Someone remarked most pitchers do something like that, but aren't quite so blatant. 

Overall, I kind of agree with moonslav's assessment--pretty good rotation and bullpen, and the hitting should come around. 

That said, the current horrible play--Herrera's error for example--is digging a gigantic hole the Sox might not be able to climb out of.  Just 152 games left in which to make up for the 1 game deficit. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have a hard & fast rule of never waiting until June to freak out.  I'm a firm believer in intermittent freak outs! This is very important as a long time life long Red Sox fan.  This is a decades long lesson learned.  It's tried! It's true!  Oh, the NEW bandwagon Sox fans can give you their, "relax!  it's baseball.....  it will all even out" garbage.  Those of us who have been around for the long haul.....  50+ years know better!!!!  We know too well how fragile winning can really be.  This is why we enjoy the highs and lows with equal out of control passion.  As Decarte' said, "we freak out because we are........"   Sox Fans is what he was talking about.  This is a historical fact!  Look it up!  So..........   Carpe diem!  Don't sit back and relax, as Mike Carp famously remarked.  Enjoy the highs!  Gnash your teath at the lows!  You are a Sox fan g d it!  You were born to freak out!  Why else would we appreciate every World Series Win 86 times more than the next winning fan?  This too has been scientifically proven!  Look it up!

Cast off the chains that bind you!  Freak out!  It is your birthright!

[/QUOTE]

I get your point. Sadly I think that is why it is hard for me to freak out anymore. I remember after winning the first WS I was elated of course, but I also thought how I would never have the same feeling again as a Red Sox fan.  I was 10 years old in 75 and was crushed. I watched the ball through buckners legs in a room with a mets fan and I wanted to murder him with my bare hands. I thought I might go my whole life in pain and misery.

I seem to have lost that freak out feeling. Oh how I wish I could get it back again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good Lord.  David Ortiz has never had washboard abs.  He looks no different to me than he did years ago.

Any Sox fan buying into this 'Ortiz is fat' bullcrap should be ashamed of themselves.   

[/QUOTE]

He looks a lot thinner than he was five years ago to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Contrary to popular belief,  it is not blasphemy to admit that he has CLEARLY put on 10 pounds.  Absolutely no doubt about it.  Hence, all the, "wow!  David looks to be in the best shape he's been in" comments all through LAST year's Spring Training.   I hope like hell it doesn't cost him an injury!  He is notably slower!  Notably fatter!  

Sorry!  I don't need to turn in my "biggest Papi Fan of the Century" card to anybody while admitting these facts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Contrary to popular belief,  it is not blasphemy to admit that he has CLEARLY put on 10 pounds.  Absolutely no doubt about it.  Hence, all the, "wow!  David looks to be in the best shape he's been in" comments all through LAST year's Spring Training.   I hope like hell it doesn't cost him an injury!  He is notably slower!  Notably fatter!  

Sorry!  I don't need to turn in my "biggest Papi Fan of the Century" card to anybody while admitting these facts.

[/QUOTE]

To me he looks about as fat as three years ago....there was a period 5 or 6 years ago where he looked fatter to me then he does now.

Of course when he was really fat was when he was like 5 years old. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Contrary to popular belief,  it is not blasphemy to admit that he has CLEARLY put on 10 pounds.  Absolutely no doubt about it.  

[/QUOTE]

I have plenty of doubt of it.  If anybody's got any credible visual evidence I'd like to see it.  I expect to see nothing but one of pinstripezac's Photoshop jokes in response.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Contrary to popular belief,  it is not blasphemy to admit that he has CLEARLY put on 10 pounds.  Absolutely no doubt about it.  

[/QUOTE]

I have plenty of doubt of it.  If anybody's got any credible visual evidence I'd like to see it.  I expect to see nothing but one of pinstripezac's Photoshop jokes in response.

[/QUOTE]

Mea culpa!  I am checking my lying eyes into rehab!

Come on now!   ;)

No _hit!   So that's what those ostriches have been looking at?!?!?!?    Whadaya know!  It does look better down under!   ;)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Seriously, even if Ortiz has put on 5 pounds, it's silly to equate that with being out of shape.  He's a DH, and his bat speed has clearly not slowed one iota.  He absolutely crushed that game-winning HR a mere 2 nights ago.  It saddens me to see Sox fans buy into such rubbish.  It's the old tempest in a teapot syndrome.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

bats heat up with the weather.  hang in there until mid may.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

Seriously, even if Ortiz has put on 5 pounds, it's silly to equate that with being out of shape.  He's a DH, and his bat speed has clearly not slowed one iota.  He absolutely crushed that game-winning HR a mere 2 nights ago.  It saddens me to see Sox fans buy into such rubbish.  It's the old tempest in a teapot syndrome.

[/QUOTE]

As capt. Brody said....."you're gonna need a bigger boat."  The size of the problem was confirmed by Quint!

Surely you can't argue with these two men.

This is the Perfect Storm!

Call me Ishmael!  but that whale is most certainly not white!

Did you guys happen to notice that the Dunkin Donuts adds were replaced by Weight Watchers signs for the game on 4/01/14?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

These are the people who believed that that guy on The Biggest Loser was actually Ruben Studdard.

That guy could not sing at all.  & he sure couldn't hide that Dominican accent!

Look what happened to him.  Kicked off the show for eating chicken & drinking too much beer.

You can't argue with my unassailable hyperbolic rhetoric!   I can go all night long.